Beginner Back Button Focusing & Remote Shutter - Possible?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been using back button focusing for a while and wonder whether it's possible to use it with a remote shutter release cable or Bluetooth?

Apologise if this is a stupid question!

I've been using back button focusing for a while and wonder whether it's possible to use it with a remote shutter release cable or Bluetooth?

Apologise if this is a stupid question!

I think you're going to need to clarify what it is you want to achieve.

I use BBF and I also have a Bluetooth remote which I use occasionally

IME (Nikon) if you want to operate the camera with a remote release then, if you have BBF set up, pressing the release will not engage autofocus. It simply mimics pressing the shutter button. Of course, if the subject is stationary, you can pre-focus using the back button then operate the remote release.

My partner wants me to set my camera up on a tripod on our veranda with a remote shutter cable so she can take some pictures. My camera is set for BBF so I'm unsure if, when using a remote shutter cable whether it will focus at the same time? Hope I explained that okay?

What Gav says above is correct but if you have custom modes then you should be able to setup a custom mode to put the focus control back to the shutter button temporarily.

You've also stated that the camera will be setup on a tripod so what are you taking photos of?
Surely if it's a static subject you can pre-focus using BBF of MF and then use the remote to capture the images.

If it is a Nikon on a remote cable it won't focus on a remote cable unless you engage shutter focus (in the settings) and use a half press on the shutter. But if you are focussing on something like a bird table just prefocus using the back button and rely on that. The infrared remote triggers are great for just going click.

Face detect in live view does work to and the camera will focus on faces reasonably well (I seem to remember it working with a 2 second delay using AF-C on a D5500). Batteries/power are important as I discharged the battery pretty quickly in live view.

Don't know about other makes.

Thanks all, you've provided the answer :)

Just to add detail, my camera is a Canon R8 with Canon 100 to 400 lens. The tripod also has a gimbal fitted pointing towards trees with bird activity.

Thanks for all the replies.

Back