CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

I'll start with 10 Ro80s. The 75 and the NG9-5 of the 1960, the car that marked the demise of a brand. Car of the Year 1967, an accolade that has killed most car brands.

Plonk an Ro80 next to a Prinz and even a K70 (very unloved in NSU circles) the Claus Luthe designed Ro80 looks remarkably modern for a car launched in the 1960s. Despite his unfortunate personal circumstances he did gift us the Prinz, Ro80, K70 and this small car that ended up as the Polo, the K50... Then the E30 3-series which to me is peak bimmer....

NSU International Treffen in Austria, despite the love for the Prinz's I've never seen so many Ro80s together.

Ro80s for TP.jpg

I'll start with 10 Ro80s. The 75 and the NG9-5 of the 1960, the car that marked the demise of a brand. Car of the Year 1967, an accolade that has killed most car brands.

Plonk an Ro80 next to a Prinz and even a K70 (very unloved in NSU circles) the Claus Luthe designed Ro80 looks remarkably modern for a car launched in the 1960s. Despite his unfortunate personal circumstances he did gift us the Prinz, Ro80, K70 and this small car that ended up as the Polo, the K50... Then the E30 3-series which to me is peak bimmer....

NSU International Treffen in Austria, despite the love for the Prinz's I've never seen so many Ro80s together.

View attachment 425513

Hi, the Ro80 was ahead of its time, too much so. The materials for the head gaskets of the Wankel engine were not ready.

The PRINZ series was very popular in Germany, being much sportier than the VW Käfer and more modern looking with its Corvair looks.

It is a pity that the NSU brand vanished. ---

Very rare here, a K70, seen last Saturday in Nastätten/D :

L1013466_DxO-v282-c.jpg

L1013464_DxO-v282-c.jpg

L1013467_DxO-v282-c.jpg

And the last NSU offering:
NSU Wankel Spyder.jpg
Got a better picture on iphone video as this is just a snatch shot... Wankel engined, The other car besides the Ro80s at the event was a Mazda RX-8 convertible owned by a friend of the family who has quite a selection of cars in his garage (a Bitter! as well, daily driver is a Golf R).

Back