Feranniacolor Invertibile question

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello there, new here and hoping to see if can establish if a roll of film can be processed anywhere. A few completed film rolls turned up in a clearance of my father in laws house after he died. We have no idea what is on the films. One appears to be tricky to get developed and no-one seems to do it any more. the details on the cannister which is 35mm sized cannister is: "20 pose 20" "24 x 36" "Feranniacolor Invertibile" "luce diurna" then made it italy etc. by now who knows even if it could be developed if there is anything salvagable from it and knowing my father in law it could be interesting stuff of very boring work related things of his, it could go either way!

Moved to F&C, hopefully someone can help the OP

That would seem to be a colour reversal film, daylight balanced. Any idea of the age: The Ferrania transparency film I'm familiar with was CR50, which was late 1960s and processed in either E3 or E4 chemicals - I can't recall immediately which one - which required a reversal exposure to light mid way through the processing. For context, we're now on E6 processing with a chemical reversal making processing simpler.

So my best guess is an older E process. I think that there are companies that process using older processes, but can't recall any names. Hopefully someone more helpful will be along...

I can supply the older formulae if you feel inclined to take a DIY approach, assuming you can source the raw chemicals.

Looks like this 'stock' was discussed in 2022 about some 120 rolls ....

Though reading it again.....the OP has not been back since July 2022 with an update as to the outcome for him :(

Last edited:
P.S. Welcome to the forum :)

Last edited:
thanks for the replies, not something I am able to undertake myself so hoping to find someone that can develop this. I would estimate it dates from the mid 1970s.

Idling away a few minutes, it seems no UK based film labs have anything to say about this film.

The only site that even shows it in their database is this one

They appear to have a Dutch based EU operation but not clear if they process in Holland or ship to their USA site?

It appears that this company in the USA can handle it

I checked the history of E4 and it ran from 1966 for 30 years, so probably your film (assuming colour slide) would be that.

It appears that this company in the USA can handle it

I checked the history of E4 and it ran from 1966 for 30 years, so probably your film (assuming colour slide) would be that.
Stephen, do you think it likely that this could be cross-processed in C41 ("normal" colour chemicals, for the OP)?

It's quite likely - the differences between E4 and E6 were down to just one processing step, where a substitute formula is available; so from a position of informed ignorance, I'd make a guess that if cross processing E6 films in C41 chemicals works, this would as well. That doesn't say anything about whether the chemicals once so used would be fit to use again for E6 of course. If colours don't matter, then a simple black and white processing would work. It rather depends on whether H_Esp is bothered about getting as close to what the original, if processed at the time, would show, or just getting an image.

The other possibility - a technical possibility, and possibly not available given the OP doesn't want a DIY approach - is to process it to give black and white slides.

Normal processing of B&W film involves developing to give silver grains (the black part), followed by stopping the development process then dissolving out the unexposed silver halides to give clear(ish) film. In principle, colour film is processed in the same way, with an additional colour development stage and an extra step to remove the silver leaving only the dye.

If you add a step into the black and white processing to bleach out the silver image immediately after developing it, and then expose the film to light and redevelop, you've got a black and white slide. There are kits sold to process film in this way. Normally black and white films have a tinted film base, whereas slide films have a clear base; as the Ferrania is a reversal film, it should be fine. In theory...

As to whether commercial labs offer this service, I don't know.

Looks like Analogue Wonderlab and Nik & Trik both offer black and white reversal processing; there may be others (I found another but it seemed to be focused on 8 and 16mm movie film).

It's quite likely - the differences between E4 and E6 were down to just one processing step, where a substitute formula is available; so from a position of informed ignorance, I'd make a guess that if cross processing E6 films in C41 chemicals works, this would as well. That doesn't say anything about whether the chemicals once so used would be fit to use again for E6 of course. If colours don't matter, then a simple black and white processing would work. It rather depends on whether H_Esp is bothered about getting as close to what the original, if processed at the time, would show, or just getting an image.
I know there's quite a movement against cross processing (#SayNoToXPro!), but Filmdev were happy to do a roll of E6 slide film that I thought was quite suspect. The colours were just a bit off, but not unpleasant (to my eyes at least). I think this is something perhaps worth exploring for the OP.

R1-09996-0021_Adj X-Pro.jpg

Pentax LX and expired Sensia 100, badly stored.

The other possibility - a technical possibility, and possibly not available given the OP doesn't want a DIY approach - is to process it to give black and white slides.

Normal processing of B&W film involves developing to give silver grains (the black part), followed by stopping the development process then dissolving out the unexposed silver halides to give clear(ish) film. In principle, colour film is processed in the same way, with an additional colour development stage and an extra step to remove the silver leaving only the dye.

If you add a step into the black and white processing to bleach out the silver image immediately after developing it, and then expose the film to light and redevelop, you've got a black and white slide. There are kits sold to process film in this way. Normally black and white films have a tinted film base, whereas slide films have a clear base; as the Ferrania is a reversal film, it should be fine. In theory...

We used to reversal process TMX when I was at college in the mid 1980's which had a fairly clear base, obviously not as clear as Agfa Dia Direct but cheaper and faster as it did not have to be posted off to be processed. There are a couple of examples of reversal processed TMX in my London in the 80's Flickr album.

Agfa CHS100 is on a clear base to permit reversal processing. As Nik and Trick sell it, it makes sense that they also offer reversal processing.

Back