Nikon Z* mirrorless

Seem to have bought a Z8 just with the 24-120 s atm, mostly shoot family/land scape and dog action shots.
Any recommended info/you tube on setup with the 2.0 firmware.
TIA

Steve Perry at Back Country Gallery has a set up vid.
It's angled towards wildlife. Maybe you've got a wild dog!

Also, check out Hudson Henry. His vid is comprehensive.

Reactions: nog
That's very good for a handheld shot at 1/15 Stephen.
Thanks Peter. I’m impressed with the IS from this combination; whilst not up to the levels of the latest m4/3 it’s good enough for me as I’m not normally a great fan of very silky water - I want to still show a degree of sparkle. And the IQ of the 24-200 is fine for me., which helps.

So, after resisting for ages I gave in and bought a Zf.
I also bought the original Nikon grip from Japan (from the site Duncan used).
It doesn't suit me at all, so it's up for sale.

Looking forward to trying out some manual focus lenses when I get used to the set-up.
Is it the thumb rest you dislike? If so I can recommend the Neewer one. But congrats on your new camera!

No, it's where my 4th & 5th finger go. It just feels better without.

My first proper camera was an FM2 so I should cope.

I need to explain that the arthritis in my fingers means they are not at all flexible.

So, after resisting for ages I gave in and bought a Zf.
I also bought the original Nikon grip from Japan (from the site Duncan used).
It doesn't suit me at all, so it's up for sale.

Looking forward to trying out some manual focus lenses when I get used to the set-up.

I’m actually not totally keen on the position of the thumb rest on this grip so I have a separate one coming. I’m used to my thumb resting higher up. The rest of it I like a lot.

I recently stayed near Bempton Cliffs and got a chance to try out the Z8 and 400mm f4.5 with the gannets. Sadly I only got one evening as fog rolled in the second evening. That meant I didn’t try out the 1.4 Z TC I wanted to get bare lens vs TC lens to check out the performance.

Still a good chance to put the Z8 through its paces with birds in flight. I thankfully I got enough mobile data signal to download the 2.01 firmware update to get the bird AF update (first time I’ve ever updated firmware away from home sitting in a camper van. I really thought I’d brick the camera doing it there with poorish signal).

Quite impressed with bird AF in how a grey box tracks a bird across the frame without even the focus previously been locked onto.

Northern Gannet Greeting by -Rob'81-

Northern Gannet in flight by -Rob'81-

Last edited:
I recently stayed near Bempton Cliffs and got a chance to try out the Z8 and 400mm f4.5 with the gannets. Sadly I only got one evening as fog rolled in the second evening. That meant I didn’t try out the 1.4 Z TC I wanted to get bare lens vs TC lens to check out the performance.

Still a good chance to put the Z8 through its paces with birds in flight. I thankfully I got enough mobile data signal to download the 2.01 firmware update to get the bird AF update (first time I’ve ever updated firmware away from home sitting in a camper van. I really thought I’d brick the camera doing it there with poorish signal).

Quite impressed with bird AF in how a grey box tracks a bird across the frame without even the focus previously been locked onto.

Northern Gannet Greeting by -Rob'81-

Northern Gannet in flight by -Rob'81-
Nice shots. Love the two Gannets “fencing”.

There’s a 2.01 firmware update now. I gather there were a few issues with the 2.0 firmware causing a green colour cast on some photos.
Thanks Rob, my mistake it was the 2.01 firmware I updated with. Been setting up the banks etc and Nikon’s system is interesting though will get accustomed to it I’m fairly sure

OK, here's my thumb rest setup now. This separate rest is spot on for me as it puts my thumb exactly where I'm used to it being and provides good support for heavy lenses. It's not an easy one to source, however, and the company in China I ordered it from put it on a slow boat.. My apologies for the iPhone images but I only keep one camera body and I can't use that to take pics of itself. The battery case is an interesting one. It's actually an old Zippo case. It worked brilliantly with my Z FC batteries but was way out for the ZF batteries.. I learnt via YouTube how to stretch leather and it now works.

THUMB-ZF-1.jpg

THUMB-2.jpg

L

Love It. Got the next frame ?
Thanks Trevor. It was more of a grab shot, I had just pulled up on my mobility scooter and I heard the noise of the goose and managed to grab this one and the couple of next shots were OOF or my framing wasn't good enough.

OK, here's my thumb rest setup now. This separate rest is spot on for me as it puts my thumb exactly where I'm used to it being and provides good support for heavy lenses. It's not an easy one to source, however, and the company in China I ordered it from put it on a slow boat.. My apologies for the iPhone images but I only keep one camera body and I can't use that to take pics of itself. The battery case is an interesting one. It's actually an old Zippo case. It worked brilliantly with my Z FC batteries but was way out for the ZF batteries.. I learnt via YouTube how to stretch leather and it now works.

View attachment 423061

View attachment 423063
Proper pimping going on there......nice !!!

Thanks Trevor. It was more of a grab shot, I had just pulled up on my mobility scooter and I heard the noise of the goose and managed to grab this one and the couple of next shots were OOF or my framing wasn't good enough.
Actually a smashing grab. (Pun intended)

Back