The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I went to the seaside but I didn't see any lights. Chatted to plenty of people including some fishermen who were fishing off the end of the pier. They'd caught something I'd never heard of.

A7 and Sony 20mm f1.8.

Down towards the pier.

DSC05680.jpeg

The bright lights of Saltburn.

DSC05687.jpeg

Do later cameras do this or are these reflections just an early model thing?

DSC05699.jpeg

Pier.

DSC05703.jpeg

And again.

DSC05704.jpeg

Last one.

DSC05719.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking on the phone, do you mean the bright bit of flare? Most likely the lens rather than camera.

The radiating light circles to the right of each of the main points of light in that picture. I read years ago that the A7 can show these reflections from the sensor and that it's worse with some particular lenses. I remember that the 35mm f2.8 was named as being particularly bad. I think I read that this is lessoned in later bodies.

You can see it more clearly in this, taken with the 35mm f2.8.

DSC04472.jpg

The radiating light circles to the right of each of the main points of light in that picture. I read years ago that the A7 can show these reflections from the sensor and that it's worse with some particular lenses. I remember that the 35mm f2.8 was named as being particularly bad. I think I read that this is lessoned in later bodies.

You can see it more clearly in this, taken with the 35mm f2.8.

View attachment 422890
I've never heard of things like that caused by the sensor, I always assumed it was the lens :oops: :$

I've never heard of things like that caused by the sensor, I always assumed it was the lens :oops: :$

If you google you'll see it's a real thing. Having an A7 and seeing this myself I have been ware of this for a long time but I'm hazy on how newer cameras handle this. I think I read that it's reduced with newer cameras but I can't be sure.

If you google you'll see it's a real thing. Having an A7 and seeing this myself I have been ware of this for a long time but I'm hazy on how newer cameras handle this. I think I read that it's reduced with newer cameras but I can't be sure.

I've noticed it on the A7 at night in the past.

Not on the A7Riii though.

Just been to the post office with my A7C and so I took my only remaining camera for a stroll in the park. A7 full spectrum, Minolta Rokkor 45mm f2 with 850nm filter.
This lady was taking a rest from her walk and photo was taken after checking with her, didn't want to startle her but more so didn't want to startle the very large dog!

Infra Red Park Portrait by barrysprout, on Flickr

Just been to the post office with my A7C and so I took my only remaining camera for a stroll in the park. A7 full spectrum, Minolta Rokkor 45mm f2 with 850nm filter.
This lady was taking a rest from her walk and photo was taken after checking with her, didn't want to startle her but more so didn't want to startle the very large dog!

I quite like that :)

IR. I can normally pass them by. But this really speaks to me. Love it.

Wow I really like this one. Beautiful lighting.
Thanks for sharing

Thank you :D I thought it was rather drab due to the conditions and of course the lights down the side of the track weren't on but I'm glad someone likes it :D

I think this lens performs well at f1.8 and I did mean to say earlier that although I haven't used this lens much it is IMO a really good lens and the build quality looks a step up from the likes of the 35 and 55mm f1.8 I also have.

Last edited:
Thank you :D I thought it was rather drab due to the conditions and of course the lights down the side of the track weren't on but I'm glad someone likes it :D

I think this lens performs well at f1.8 and I did mean to say earlier that although I haven't used this lens much it is IMO a really good lens and the build quality looks a step up from the likes of the 35 and 55mm f1.8 I also have.
I can imagine on a winters tea time that would be a great view as the light drops if the sides of the track are illuminated too.

I can imagine on a winters tea time that would be a great view as the light drops if the sides of the track are illuminated too.

I don't know what's going on but the lift and lights seem to have been out of order for some time. I'm hoping they're working again soon.

Seems like the lift may be out of action for some time, due to fire damage.

Oh dear but thanks for that. There's been an electrical contractors van there recently so I hope they are on with the repairs. I'm taking a family of immigrants who haven't been to the seaside there on Saturday and I was hoping it'd be working but failing that they are excited at the thought of walking on the pier with the water below :D and of course fish and chips :D

As it's quiet... Another from the other night. A7 and Sony 20mm f1.8, f4, 8s, ISO 400. Looking back towards the amusements with the funicular track and one carriage just visible.

DSC05713.jpg

Last edited:
It has been interesting with my RX100VA, the EVF is the same as the original A7C series which I completely dismissed for the EVF, so I understand now what that would be like to use daily rather than pontificating on a forum about it, which I have done alot of. :)
Surprisingly, it is usable, it isn't great but I can work with it. However, I'm willing to put up with it for a 600 quid camera, but even with the increased magnification of the C II and CR, it is only going a similar experience to my A7Rii EVF.
That's OK, as I can use that fine, but if I was to shell out 1000's for a new camera, a better EVF is right near the top of my list.

Im impressed with my RX100, it is alot more capable then I thought it would be, and being able to put it in my pocket still amazes me.

Hey chaps, I've arranged a sale on my A1 and have a virtually unused 320GB Lexar Professional (900Mbs) Type A Cfexpress Gold series memory card to sell.
What price do you reckon I can get for it?

Hey chaps, I've arranged a sale on my A1 and have a virtually unused 320GB Lexar Professional (900Mbs) Type A Cfexpress Gold series memory card to sell.
What price do you reckon I can get for it?

Probably not an awful lot, most people have caught on now that you can buy the Lexar type A cards ridiculously cheap compared to U.K prices from Asia.

Example Lexar silver type A 320GB brand new is only £100 and is often slightly cheaper than that as well when promo's are on.

The Lexar Gold type A 320gb cards brand new from Asia are around £190 usually.

Aliexpress have them with guaranteed 5 day delivery as well.

I was a bit dubious about these but know a lot of people who are using them and have confirmed with Lexar that the cards are legit and not some knock off copy.

We are being robbed blind in the U.K for them.

Last edited:
Probably not an awful lot, most people have caught on now that you can buy the Lexar type A cards ridiculously cheap compared to U.K prices from Asia.

Example Lexar silver type A 320GB brand new is only £100 and is often slightly cheaper than that as well when promo's are on.

The Lexar Gold type A 320gb cards brand new from Asia are around £190 usually.

Aliexpress have them with guaranteed 5 day delivery as well.

I was a bit dubious about these but know a lot of people who are using them and have confirmed with Lexar that the cards are legit and not some knock off copy.

We are being robbed blind in the U.K for them.
I'd not heard of this, will need to look into it (y)

Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 II's been officially announced, I thought they'd have tried to make it at least as light as the GM II if not lighter but it's not the case. Much cheaper though ;)

Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 II's been officially announced, I thought they'd have tried to make it at least as light as the GM II if not lighter but it's not the case. Much cheaper though ;)

Such a boring release.

I guess it might solve the problems people were having with the old one sucking dust inside the front element.

The big 3rd party companies like Sigma and Tamron are going to have to up their game to stay relevant with the new lenses coming soon from companies like Viltrox with their new pro and lab series.

Sony GM II is £1999k, Sigma £1179 - unless you need the super high fps the Sony will offer on some cameras, the Sigma looks a great option.
Assuming the Sigma hits the mark optically it’s a no brainer, who’d not choose a lens that’s likely 98% as good for near enough half the rpice.

Well done to Sigma if they've made a good lens with no focus breathing. It's not an issue that affects me but I can see how it might annoy others.

Other stuff... It's like a winters day here. Where did the hot weather go?

Back