FINISHED: Apple / MacOS Tip a day for a year !

cowasaki,

Sorry I haven't had the time to "play" with this right now; am on a very tight deadline and only come online here to do quick checks and little breaks.

December 14th is my deadline to submit my dissertation, once that's done I will have a good 3 months to play with my new toys, and this will be one of the things I want to look into.

Please keep these daily tips coming, you have no idea how much I look forward to seeing what new things I can do with my MacBook.

I have been posting the last few tips just before midnight as I have to be up at 5:30am! but after this one they will appear just after midnight. This is actually the tip for 21st :)
Thursday 20th November
Tip 7 – MacOS [5] - Viewing hidden and system files

To view all hidden files

1) Locate your route drive and run the following program: Applications>Utilities>Terminal
2) Type "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE"
3) Type "killall Finder"

To Hide all hidden files again

1) Locate your route drive and run the following program: Applications>Utilities>Terminal
2) Type "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE"
3) Type "killall Finder"

Does this count as two tips :)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips (y) I shall be using some of them soon, we are migrating to the fruity side shortly... Imac on order.

Thanks for the tips, I've bookmarked this page. How about a way of cleaning up the hard drive and removing unwanted files? I seem to be using a lot of space with most of my data on an external drive?

(y)

Hi,

Do you know if there a way to turn off specific finger gestures? When I'm using photoshop, I keep accidently rotating the image/canvas....very annoying.
It's just the rotation gesture that I can't stand, all the rest are handy.

Thanks

djs

Yes, goto Apple Icon>system preferences>keyboard and mouse>trackpad tab..........

All the gestures are there and can be turned on and off

Yes, goto Apple Icon>system preferences>keyboard and mouse>trackpad tab..........

All the gestures are there and can be turned on and off

thanks for reply.
On my mbp the trackpad options are in a separate section to the keyboard and mouse. I can turn off tapping, but the rest of the gestures have no option :thinking:

[EDIT] Done some research on this, and it appears its a feature that can't currently be disabled. I'm using the late 08 MBP, and because CS4 makes use of the trackpad gestures, as when as you put 2 fingers on the trackpad the canvas will rotate.
Hopefully Adobe will fix this soon

Last edited:
Friday 21st November
Tip 8 – Bootup [1] - Booting from your optical drive

You can either go to the top left of your screen and click the Apple icon then system preferences then click Startup Disk and select the optical drive OR Whilst restarting your computer hold down the [C] key.

[NOTE] this does not work with wireless keyboards and so if you have chosen the wireless option always keep a cheapy £3 USB keyboard lying around for use with startup options!

Hey, thats two tips on one day again :)

Last edited:
Well it is weekend and I am off for a couple of days but then it is nights for 4 days. The next few tips are rather long and all linked together so I am going to submit the next weeks tips today one after the other. They should explain all about networking wirelessly and wired from theory to practice and should even be useful to those people still under the influence of the dark side :)

Tip 9 (Sat 22nd November) Networking [1] - Background and speed differences
Tip 10 (Sun 23rd November) Networking [2] - Theory of making your network - WIRED
Tip 11 (Mon 24th November) Networking [3] - Theory of making your network - WIRELESS
Tip 12 (Tue 25th November) Networking [4] - Setting up your network – WIRELESS (inc routers CABLE & ADSL)
Tip 13 (Wed 26th November) Networking [5] - Setting up your network - WIRED
Tip 14 (Thurs 27th November) Networking [6] - Making Apple computers talk to each other !
Tip 15 (Fri 28th November) Networking [7] - Making Apple computers talk to Windows computers and allowing Windows computers to connect to Apple)

Tip 16 - normal service will resume......

There will be further tips about networking later but I think that this is enough to be going on with !!

I will submit them as I write/copy them from stuff I have already written! I may end up editing them later so watch out for that - brain to keyboard mode :)

Last edited:
Very much appreciated, cowasaki ... (y)

Saturday 22nd November
Tip 9 – Networking [1] - (background and speed differences)

Networking is a BIG subject and so I am going to cover networking over a few days. Also for the first few days it will all be background information before I get to the nuts and bolts of actually networking Apple computers with each other and with Windows computers, Linux computers, games consoles, wireless access points, printers, scanners and other devices.

People have made a good living from writing very large books about this subject and so this can only really be an overview to give people that do not already know about the subject an idea.

Apple computers from the Intel switch all have built it WIRED networking which consists of a socket on the computer which looks like an American phone socket but is wider. It is called an RJ45 or more often (and wrongly) a cat5 socket (cat 5 refers to the cable standard which for us making networks in homes can really be cat5, cat5e or cat6)

Most Apple computers also come with WIRELESS networking and the speed of this is creeping up all the time. It is always significantly slower than the fastest WIRED standard but the fastest standard currently available to Apple users is 802.11n

If you are connecting to your network simply to gain access to the internet or maybe to print the occasional page to a printer on your network then speed is not really an issue (802.11n is vastly quicker than your broadband connection speed) so it does not really make any difference but should you want to start sharing files across a network then WIRED connections are more appropriate. Most Apple computers from the Intel switch have GIGABIT WIRED networking which is vastly quicker.

Typical networking speeds

Actual [Theory] Connection

4-5Mbps [11Mbps] 802.11b (early Apple machines and older PCs)

10-20Mbps [54Mbps] 802.11g [early Intel based Apple machines and older PCs]

30-40Mbps [100Mbps] 802.11n [new Intel based Apple machines and PCs]

5MBps [10MBps] Old wired networking

50MBps [100MBps] Fast Ethernet networking

400MBps [1000MBps] Gigabit networking

The WIRED connections are clearly quicker BUT something that is not always obvious. WIRELESS cheats, notice in the specs Mbps and MBps ! WIRELESS is quoted in MegaBITS per second whilst WIRED is quoted in MegaBYTES per second so WIRED is actually 8 times quicker than WIRELESS just comparing the numbers.

802.11g and 802.11n do not use a fixed speed either and will reduce the speed dramatically as the signal gets slower so watch out for this and have the router near to where you will use your computer or alternatively if you are using an Apple wireless router think about adding a 2nd connection such as an AIRPORT EXPRESS which will increase the area running at full speed.

Last edited:
Sunday 23rd November
Tip 10 – Networking [2] - (theory of making your network - WIRED)

Direct connection (the simplest network)

The simplest network of all consists of just one cable connecting a computer to another device, be this another computer, a printer or a router. In this configuration the cable must be a special one referred to as a cross-over cable or Xover cable. This is just like a normal straight cable or patch cable but it has the pins for transmit going to the pins for receive and vice versa.

In all the networks we will consider this is an important issue, the transmit pins go to the receive pins. In a simple "one cable" network this is acheived by using the Xover cable whilst in a more complicated network each computer is connected to a hub or switch using a straight cable and then the switch handles the crossing over of pins. For this reason when we upgrade from a two device network we need to replace the original cable or re-wire one end.
This type of network is commonly used to connect to computer games systems together to play against each other and will often be connected when required and then disconnected later.

Star network (hub or switch)

With the price of simple 4 or 5 port desktop hubs or switches now down to under £10 for 100Mb or £40 for 1000MB/1Gb it is probably easiest to forget about a one cable network and build your network using the star pattern ie the hub or switch is the centre of the network and everything else is connected to it.

You can get larger 12 or 24 port hubs for under £100 too so even quite complicated networks can be created using this technique. It is always good practice to label each cable where they join the hubs or it can get quite confusing later.

Infrastructure (patch panel)

The next step from here is the setup I use and the setup used in most businesses. We connect network sockets around the house wherever a socket might be required and lead all these to a patch panel at a central location. We then have our hub or switch at this location too, together with other network devices such as a server, router etc.
These devices are often stored in a cabinet and a standard has developed for these of 19" wide. This standard allows devices from different manufacturers to be physically placed together in a neat stack. Once together the patch panels act like an old style telephone exchange and allow us to connect any socket to any socket or any device. Using this technique also allows other things to be easily connected using the same wiring and then that connection sent to any other location around the house. You can use this for example to add a telephone extension to a room that does not have one. There are a number of other devices designed to be connected in this manner such a video over cat5, usb over cat5, keyboard/monitor/sound/mouse over cat5 and webcams.

We could run cables for each device but if when installing the network originally we sent 4 cables from each room to the central patch panel we can change our minds at any time without pulling through more cables.
There is a new SOHO (small office home office) variation of this patch bay that is starting to emerge using 10" wide devices but these are more expensive and there is less choice so if you have the space just go with 19" and always pick a patch panel with more connections than you require as you will end up adding to it later!

Last edited:
Monday 24th November
Tip 11 – Networking [3] - (theory of making your network - WIRELESS)

Direct connection (the simplest network)

The simplest wireless network of all consists of just one connection between a computer and another device, be this another computer, a printer or a router.

You will often see this is one of two options when setting up a wireless connection on a PC. It is not really very useful and I will end the discussion about it now!

Infrastructure

The next step from here is the setup most of us use. Which consists of a ROUTER which connects to the internet and then allows connections to your wireless computers. You can get two types of router those connecting an ADSL connection and those connecting a cable connection but as most routers are supplied by the company I will not discuss types of router here.
Most routers have a number of wired connections on them as well as the wireless connections. If you have a choice of connection and you can get the wire from the device to the router USE WIRED rather than wireless as this is more reliable and quicker.

The latest standards (802.11g 802.11n) and other newer connections will throttle back the speed if the quality of the connection reduces. For this reason always locate the router near where you will be working if this is an option. You can, if you want to, add a second or third connection around your house using a wireless access point such as an AIRPORT EXPRESS and this increases the speed by giving you a good quality of connection at different locations.

As an aside – AIRPORT EXPRESSes also have a headphone socket on them and you can use this with a set of stereo speakers to listen to music off iTunes wherever you are in the house. You could for example have one plugged in in the kitchen connected to a pair of speakers and then send the music from your computer to the kitchen and listen there. There is a really good application called REMOTE available from the iPhone store for free that even allows you to connect to a computer running iTunes and send the music to an AIRPORT EXPRESS so using this you can be in the kitchen and decide to listen to some music and just connect to your computer and send the music you want – I use this for speakers in several rooms ☺

Last edited:
Tuesday 25th November
Tip 12 – Networking [4] - (Setting up your network – WIRELESS)

It is difficult for me to sit here and tell you how to set up your wireless network as this information varies from one router to another and from one service provider to another but I will try and give you some help.

As cable and ADSL differ I will make cable specific information RED and ADSL BLUE ☺

If you have CABLE and the CABLE modem has a RJ45 socket (networking socket) then you are in luck and can plug this cable into the router directly. The router will normally have maybe 5 sockets on it and one of these will be labeled slightly differently with something like “WAN” on it. Plug your cable in here.

At the master socket plug your filter into the wall and connect the smaller 4 connection plug labeled something like ADSL into the router as per the instructions. You can now plug the rest of your telephones into the other socket with no need for any more filters as all the phones are now going through a filter!

You will now need to find the IP address of the router in the instruction manual. It will be clearly stated and will appear somewhere in the first few pages. It will often be something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.254 or something in between. Once you have this number you need to connect a computer to the router and TALK to the router to set it up for use. In the bad old days this would involve running a Windows only program but on all modern routers the router actually displays a web page! So connect using a CAT5 cable to the router with the other end plugged into your computer (you may be able to connect wirelessly but often you cannot YET). Start your browser and type the IP address into the address bar. You will see a setup page for the router. This is unfortunately where they all differ so it is rather hard to give advice but there should be a number of main sections within the web pages.

You now need to set up your ADSL connection so find the heading BROADBAND CONNECTION or ADSL or whatever it is. In here you will need to supply a number of bits of information to allow the router to make its ADSL connection.

Three questions normally asked are Type, VPI and VCI these are normally PPPoA, 0 and 38 respectively. They may be different but you will be supplied with this information. If you are not then try these.

Username and Password these are always supplied to you and are normally your main email address (with or without the domain name – this varies from supplier to supplier) and your password.

Connection mode, just set this to “Always on”

Default gateway, primary DNS and Secondary DNS…. Often these will be asked but if you can ignore them try to as the router should pick these up itself from the WAN once connected.

Some cable suppliers try and stop you using a router and lock the cable modem to a specific device using the above MAC codes. This is not happening as much now but certainly did at one time. If this is the case for you do not worry as router manufacturers have thought of this. Find the MAC address of your computer and enter this into the router at the relevant place this will make the cable modem think that the router is actually your computer and connect !

Setting up your wireless network

One main option should be to set up your wireless network. Go to this and it should allow a range of IP addresses, give a network name and allow security.

Range of IP addresses – Certain IP addresses are reserved for internal networks and one range is 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.255 (it might go further but I would have to check and it doesn’t matter for this). Just set up a range to allow – I like to set up a range allowing me to have some fixed addresses at the start for servers, printers etc but this is less use in most homes! Set a range with the first 3 segments the same so 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199 is ideal.

Network Name – Just set a meaningless name such as MARS or something. Do not (for security) use your surname or the default router name or something like that.

Once you have set up your range of IP addresses and the network name you should be able to connect to the internet from a computer wirelessly. Save these settings and restart the router, if this is required.

At the computer you want to connect from click on the option to find a wireless network and let it search for one. When it finds MARS connect to it and the computer should take care of everything and you should be connected.

DO NOT LEAVE YOUR NETWORK LIKE THIS…

Now reconnect to the router and set up the security. I have included this as a second stage because EVERY time I have been asked to fix someone’s wireless network it has been easier to check that it actually works before messing with things designed specifically to STOP it working !!

ALWAYS set up the best level of security you can.

Select the level of security based on the best level that BOTH your router and operating system know about. Something like WPA is ideal. Now set up a password that is secure. Do not leave the password as the default or use you surname or something like that. Something like &#8220;bigGLE5 G03s 2 wAr.<>@$&#8221; is SECURE as there is a variation of upper and lower case, numbers, words replacing numbers and symbols.

You password will depend on the level of security and some only allow hex number etc. Just use the best that you can.

If your router allows MAC address restrictions use this - This is where you give the router the physical mac addresses of your computers and it will only connect to these. The mac addresses are printed on the network card or box and can often be located within the operating system too.

Last edited:
Wednesday 26th November
Tip 13 - Networking [5] - Setting up your network &#8211; WIRED

This is more straight forward than setting up a wireless network in that there is not really any &#8220;setting up&#8221; to do and you can complete this very quickly.

Basically this requires you to plug each computer or other device into one of the sockets on the router OR if you have more devices than sockets get a SWITCH or HUB and connect all the devices (including the router) to that instead.

You can now buy ready made cables at very low price but for extra flexibility look on fleabay for a RJ45/CAT5 cable making starter kit which should consist of a special tool for crimping the end plugs on, a punch tool, a cable tester and an outer cover remover (I never use these) &#8211; This entire kit should cost about £10-15

The above tools will allow you to wire up sockets in rooms too which is far more flexible and tidier.

A 100m reel of Cat5e cable costs about £20 and should be enough for most household installations (although I bought a 500m reel and have just run out! &#8211; although I have made a good few cables for other people out of it)

Basically you just plug each computer into its own socket using a STANDARD networking cable &#8211; Job done!

For those wanting to make their own cables or wire their own sockets.

Making a standard cable - http://www.upgradeyourmac.co.uk/mainsite/Network/NetStraight.html

Making a crossover cable &#8211; http://www.upgradeyourmac.co.uk/mainsite/Network/NetXover.html (this is the cable mentioned in direct cable connection earlier)

Wiring an RJ45 socket - http://www.upgradeyourmac.co.uk/mainsite/Network/NetSockets.html

Last edited:
Thursday 27th November
Tip 14 - Networking [6] - Making Apple computers talk to each other !

All the previous tips have been necessary in order to get the connection between your computer and the network in your house. The router then connects this household network to the outside world using some clever jiggerypokery so that you can all talk to each other.

Now we need to make your computer work with the household network.

WIRED

I will pick wired first as this is the easiest. This also applies to Windows computers....

Just launch your browser and type "www.talkphotography.co.uk" into the address bar. Yes it is normally this simple (although you may need to restart your computer if you have windows).

WIRELESS

This is more complicated (but thankfully not much more).

I will not include Windows in this although I might add it later

Go to Apple>>System Preferences>>Network

Here you will see all your network connections listed to the left hand side and one of these will be "Airport" which is the name of wireless networking on an Apple computer. Click on this.

Simple method...

Click on Network Name and the computer should display a list of the wireless networks that it can "see". Click on the network name that you set up earlier in the router setup. MacOS will then prompt you for a password and again just type this in.

You should now be connected to the wireless network

Advanced method....

This has been found though trial and error and submitted to other forums relating to Apple computers. People have given alternatives and said that the simple method, above, is all that is necessary BUT if the method above does not get you connected to everything on your network you can try this.

This method is part of the "connecting to windows computers" part and is often required if you have computers running that OS and need to connect to them.

Click on Location and then click Edit Location and add a location called whatever your workgroup is called.

Click on Network Name and the computer should display a list of the wireless networks that it can "see". Click on the network name that you set up earlier in the router setup. MacOS will then prompt you for a password and again just type this in.

Click on Advanced....

under DNS tab click on the right hand "+" and add the IP address of your router. Click on the left hand "+" and add the name of your workgroup as a search domain.

under WINS tab click on the down arrow for Workgroup and change this to your workgroup.

under TCP/IP tab click DHCP Client ID and change this to the name of your computer. Change "Configure IPv4" to "Using DHCP" if it is not aleady set to that.

You should now be connected to the wireless network.

If at any time it stops working your first course of action should be to go to this same Network Window within System Preferences and click on TURN AIPORT OFF then TURN AIRPORT ON. This fixes most problems......

ADDITION: Turn off IPv6 if the above does not work as this often fixes the problems and we don't need IPv6 yet!

Last edited:
how about, osmtimes when i am useing headphones in my macbook... there is a red light comes on in the headphone socket and the sounds wont work (without headphones)

how do i fix this? somtimes it just fixes its self but it takes anything form a week to 3 months to sort its self out

pot

how about, osmtimes when i am useing headphones in my macbook... there is a red light comes on in the headphone socket and the sounds wont work (without headphones)

how do i fix this? somtimes it just fixes its self but it takes anything form a week to 3 months to sort its self out

pot

The red light is the optical output! For some reason your computer thinks that your headphones are actually an optical connection. Try another pair of headphones and see if this fixes it. There isn't actually a setting for optical/electrical as it is detected in hardware. It could be a slightly strange headphone jack on your headphones, a strange bug or a hardware fault.

Friday 28th November
Tip 15 - Networking [7] - Making Apple computers talk to Windows computers and allowing Windows computers to connect to Apple)

If you have followed the rest of my networking tips you will have an Apple computer capable of talking to a Windows PC.

All the below assume that both computers can see the same router and are receiving DHCP information from it. They also assume that both computers are inside the same Workgroup!

On the Mac (leopard)

Click on Finder and on the left hand side of the screen under Devices you should see SHARED then under SHARED any other computers on your network should appear.

When you click on the icon for the computer you are interested in you will see "Connected as: Guest" on the screen at the top and to the right "Connect As". If you click on this then you can change the user that you connect as and type a password.

On the Windows PC

Click on Network Neighbourhood and into the workgroup that both computers share. In that folder it should show the computer you are sat at plus any other computers on the network.

If when you view Network Neighbourhood you see a different workgroup appearing then you need to check that the Apple computers are all on the same Workgroup!

In order to make use of Apple devices on the network it is advisable to download BONJOUR from Apples site. This is a Windows Application that makes sharing Apple devices far simpler. It makes attaching to Apple printers a complete doddle. It is possible to use printers attached to an Apple computer without this software but I would not try it as it is not worth the hassle!

Last edited:
:clap:

Thank you is an understatement for all this .. this is really very kind of you to be put this amount of time and effort.

Thank you.

:clap:

Thank you is an understatement for all this .. this is really very kind of you to be put this amount of time and effort.

Thank you.

I will be putting all these tips on my website eventually so they will get used twice! I have written tips now up to about mid December. Some are quite simple and others linked together and longer. Like I keep saying this is my thank you to the users of this site for all their help over the past year or so.

Saturday 29th November
Tip 16 &#8211; Bootup [2] - Transferring large amounts of data from one computer to another using TARGET MODE.

If you followed the last week of tips you should be able to transfer files from one computer to another quite easily but even with a Gigabyte network it can be a slow task to transfer 300Gb of photos, for example.

There is another way which is rather quicker and it is called TARGET MODE.
Target mode is an inspirational idea that would sell thousands if someone added it to a PC motherboard it is basically a way to turn an Apple computer into an external hard drive(s). It is totally OS independent and in fact will work even if the computer does not have an OS installed.

Switch on your computer whilst holding down the [T] button and after a few seconds the firewire symbol will appear on the Apple screen (and start moving around reminiscent of a windows screen saver!). At this point you can plug a firewire cable into the Apple computer and then the other end into another Apple computer (OR a Windows computer with some kind of Apple drive reading software such as MacDrive). After a few seconds the Apple computers drives will appear on the second computer and you can access them just as local drives. Firewire in this manner is MUCH quicker than networking and it is also handy for copying files from a computer that has a serious OS problem or following a computer upgrade.

Last edited:
Sunday 30th November
Tip 17 &#8211; MacOS [6] - Opening a file with a different application.

If the application that your file opens with is not the application that you want to open it with then you can open it with a different application by right clicking on the file and selecting OPEN WITH most of your applications should appear within the list displayed but if the one you want is note there then go to the bottom of the list and click OTHER you can then select any application that you want.

I hope people are still reading this thread, I have just finished writing tip number 44 for December 27th :)

Last edited:
Am in bed, in hospital and reading as much as I can ... keep these coming :)

This forum is the only thing that's helping me keep my sanity, or what's left of it.

Still here and still reading :D

Still here and still reading too :)

Alot of these tips I've already picked up (I'm a bit of a Tip-Whore :p), however there are still some that I don't know, and I'll continue reading this thread with interest, cheers! :)

Still here and still reading too :)

Alot of these tips I've already picked up (I'm a bit of a Tip-Whore :p), however there are still some that I don't know, and I'll continue reading this thread with interest, cheers! :)

Just been writing a few more and I am trying to do a mixture of tips and tutorials. Just done another run of 3 days to introduce Apple Script (and write a few useful scripts) but you will all have to wait for a while for that one :)

This is not as easy as I thought putting 365 tips together. Marcel, you must have been seriously racking your brain with the self portraits thread!

LOL Go through my SP's and you'll see a few repeated ;)
I like to think of mine as more than just a pic of me though, it's a pic of me, and I try and put some effort into the description too....which I think makes it worth it :p

LOL Go through my SP's and you'll see a few repeated ;)
I like to think of mine as more than just a pic of me though, it's a pic of me, and I try and put some effort into the description too....which I think makes it worth it :p

A good few of them have made me laugh! My biggest problem has been "what is a tip?" and "what do people want to know about?" but I think I have got the hang of it now. I only need another 3 till I am on next years so I am feeling better for it. Just installed Tiger on another drive of the Mac Pro in order to test some of the tip and tutorials on the older OS. Hopefully SNOW LEOPARD will be out early in the new year so I can get a few more tips out of that too!

tip 17.5 !

Go and buy a new hard drive, Scan have the Samsung F1 1Tb drive on special offer at £62.99 + vat (so £72.43 after midnight). This drive is incredibly quick and for sustained access is quicker than the Veliciraptor.

tip 17.5 !

Go and buy a new hard drive, Scan have the Samsung F1 1Tb drive on special offer at £62.99 + vat (so £72.43 after midnight). This drive is incredibly quick and for sustained access is quicker than the Veliciraptor.

Wish this was a external HD

Tip 17 &#8211; Opening a file with a different application.

Thanks for the tips they are great.

By the way, how do you sets the default application.

Regards

Tip 17 – Opening a file with a different application.

Thanks for the tips they are great.

By the way, how do you sets the default application.

Regards

That is TIP 24 !! :)

Monday 1st December

Tip 18 &#8211; Applications [1] "PREVIEW" - Using preview to shrink pictures, change formats and crop.

Preview is a often overlooked application that can be used for a number of quick tasks such as Cropping, resizing pictures and changing picture formats!

Preview is often the default application for most picture formats but if it isn&#8217;t then see tip 17 to open the file with Preview.

Once the picture is open you will notice the menu option TOOLS. Within tools you will find options to rotate, crop, flip etc

You can also click on FILE and SAVE AS in order to save the file as a different filename and/or file type.

This is often vastly quicker than firing up some large application.

Last edited:
That's very good, I had assumed that the PREVIEW app, was just that.... (y)

Tuesday 2nd December
Tip 19 – Applications [2] “SAFARI” - Viewing web sites that do not like Safari and require Explorer!

Run Safari
Click on the Safari menu and select preferences
Click on the [advanced] tab and click on [show develop menu in menu bar].
You will see a new menu on your menu bar called [develop], click on this and select [user agent].
You can then select which browser you want Safari to pretend to be including Internet Explorer 7.0

Tuesday 2nd December
Tip 19 – Applications [2] “SAFARI” - Viewing web sites that do not like Safari and require Explorer!

Run Safari
Click on the Safari menu and select preferences
Click on the [advanced] tab and click on [show develop menu in menu bar].
You will see a new menu on your menu bar called [develop], click on this and select [user agent].
You can then select which browser you want Safari to pretend to be including Internet Explorer 7.0

Wow this is a great tip i never knew :) And it helps

Cheers

Back