FINISHED: Apple / MacOS Tip a day for a year !

Right so I guess all i need to do is remove all the screws that are at all sides of the macbook and some that are under the battery and then it should lift off??? Will the trackpad not be in way?

Right so I guess all i need to do is remove all the screws that are at all sides of the macbook and some that are under the battery and then it should lift off??? Will the trackpad not be in way?

The whole lid of the computer is removed by removing the screws along the left and right sides and the trackpad and keyboard are part of the lid.

what about the screws that are on the bottom of the mbp? I know once I am in I be ok as I have built Desktop pc

15" macbook pro 2.16ghz think about 2 years old

With the faster 7200rpm drives do they run hotter/use more battery?

I've replaced my hard drive, on my Macbook, to a 320GB 7200 rpm. There is a slight drop in battery life, otherwise I don't notice anything other changes.

I've replaced my hard drive, on my Macbook, to a 320GB 7200 rpm. There is a slight drop in battery life, otherwise I don't notice anything other changes.

How much quicker would you say it is with the 7200 drive?

I can't relate it to time, but it is a lot quicker with boot-up. So much so, that it is silly not to get this speed drive if you're upgrading.

The flip side to this, is to get a higher density drive (I remember you telling me of 500GB drives :shrug:). I am not sure if these drives would be as fast as a 320GB 7200 rpm; if they are then I would have gone with the 500GB.

I can't relate it to time, but it is a lot quicker with boot-up. So much so, that it is silly not to get this speed drive if you're upgrading.

The flip side to this, is to get a higher density drive (I remember you telling me of 500GB drives :shrug:). I am not sure if these drives would be as fast as a 320GB 7200 rpm; if they are then I would have gone with the 500GB.

There will not be a lot in it between the 250 and 320Gb drives. They are both the latest generation drives. I am running a Hitachi 200Gb 7200rpm in mine as that was the largest 7200 drive available about 5 months ago when I got my computer.

Sorry, I was wondering about the 500GB 5400 rpm vs. the 320GB 7200 rpm. Are these 500GB as fast as the 320GB?

I know there is more to drives than just the spin speed (cache, and density ... drive platter size) come into play; but if all were equal bar the spin speed, would the 500GB be as fast as the 320GB?

Sorry, I was wondering about the 500GB 5400 rpm vs. the 320GB 7200 rpm. Are these 500GB as fast as the 320GB?

I know there is more to drives than just the spin speed (cache, and density ... drive platter size) come into play; but if all were equal bar the spin speed, would the 500GB be as fast as the 320GB?

No the older 500Gb drive got that size using 3 platters so the density was not as good. Also due to the 3 platters it is also 11mm thick so it will only fit inside the 17" model as the 15" model will only accommodate a standard 9.5mm drive! There are new 500Gb models out now but the 7200 drives will still be quicker.

Double post! please ignore this.

Last edited:
At least I can rest knowing I got the faster drive (y)

That said, I am now looking to get a MBP in a few days' time. I need to get it to save me from getting in a bit of trouble :p; only that I am not sure which one to go with, what specifications to get and what to do with my current MB :shrug:

At least I can rest knowing I got the faster drive (y)

That said, I am now looking to get a MBP in a few days' time. I need to get it to save me from getting in a bit of trouble :p; only that I am not sure which one to go with, what specifications to get and what to do with my current MB :shrug:

Getting an Apple computer is like buying a BMW or Volkswagen a few years ago. You paid 20% more than you really should have done when you bought it but you paid the extra because the quality was so much better. Then when it came to selling it you find that the selling price makes up for the difference you originally paid.

If this was a Windows laptop you would get very little for it but you should get a reasonable amount for a Macbook pro, what is the spec now?

Looking at getting a new one.... It depends on what you need and how much money you have....

The new models run DDR3 ram, you can get this in 1,2 or 4Gb sticks (So you can have an 8Gb laptop although Apple only say 4Gb. Just ignore this, they under quote specs on Ram regularly they did it with the Pro too) - Unfortunately DDR3 SoDimms are thin on the ground and rather expensive so it might be best to upgrade via Apple!

The HD is easily upgradable now on the Macbook pro but as it is only £34 extra to go for the 7200 model over the 5400 model again you might as well let Apple do it for you so...

2.4GHz model with 4Gb Ram and 7200rpm 250Gb drive @ £1501

you could spend another £60 odd for the 320Gb 7200rpm drive but that is up to you.

The 2.53GHz model is £343 more but you get the 4Gb upgrade as standard saving you the £98 cost of this making the upgrade actually £245 and you get a rebate of £34.99 to go to the same drive (just for comparison) so £210 extra for the jump from 2.4 to 2.53 and an increase in your video ram from 256Mb to 512Mb.....

Well forget the video ram unless you are seriously into 3D video as you will not notice any real difference. Even with games there will be virtually no difference I would suggest maybe a frame or 2 a second.

Now 2.53/2.4 = 1.05 making the computer 5% quicker on the headline processor speed number, this will equate to a real speed boost of maybe 2-3%. I doubt you would ever notice the difference, really!

On that basis I would discount paying the extra and take the 2.4GHz model.

ADDED: If you go to www.Kingston.com and select UK then go through the model specific ram finder you can find the 4Gb DDR3 kit for £94 inc delivery from PC Upgrader with Kingston part number (KTA-MB1066K2/4G). You could sell the original 2Gb but I doubt there will be many buyers as most machines fitted with DDR3 would have 2Gb as standard anyway so sticking with my original advice for the sake of £4.

Last edited:
Thank you cowasaki (y) .. I will post a separate thread on this, so as not to take your thread off topic any further, and take it from where you've left it.

Tuesday 6th January

Tip 54 – Where does MacOS store files/picture etc downloaded as part of email.

Go to your user directory and into the LIBRARY directory inside this directory is a directory called “MAIL DOWNLOADS” just look in there.

Wednesday 7th January

Tip 55 – Hardware [5] – What is the maximum memory?

Apple do not always tell the truth! Check my site for the maximum ACTUAL memory for your Apple computer.

• Mac pro (variant 1) = 32Gb [not 16Gb]
  • Macbook [variants 1-3] = 3-4Gb [not 2Gb]
  • Macbook pro [last two non unibody variants] = 6Gb [not 4Gb]

Check the product code of your computer on the site to check the variant and then read off the maximum RAM.

RAM is so cheap now that it is always worth maxing it out on everything but the Mac pro or Macbook Pro (latest model)!

Thursday 8th January

Tip 56 – MacOS [18] – Zooming into your screen

Hold down [CTRL] and scroll up to zoom in or scroll down to zoom out.

Wednesday 7th January

Tip 55 – Hardware [5] – What is the maximum memory?

Apple do not always tell the truth! Check my site for the maximum ACTUAL memory for your Apple computer.

• Mac pro (variant 1) = 32Gb [not 16Gb]
  • Macbook [variants 1-3] = 3-4Gb [not 2Gb]
  • Macbook pro [latest variant] = all 8Gb [not 4Gb] (although it will cost you £1000+)

Check the product code of your computer on the site to check the variant and then read off the maximum RAM.

RAM is so cheap now that it is always worth maxing it out on everything but the Mac pro or Macbook Pro (latest model)!
Hey matey - how do we do this please...?

When I did this the zoom works but all the open appliations and the desktop moved as the mouse moved. I am on Leopard

Thanks for all your tips they are very useful.

Arthur

When I did this the zoom works but all the open appliations and the desktop moved as the mouse moved. I am on Leopard

Thanks for all your tips they are very useful.

Arthur

Have a look at tip 57 :)

Friday 9th January

Tip 57 – MacOS [19] – Zooming in to your screen 2

Hold down [CMD] + [ALT] and you can zoom in and out with the [-] & [+] buttons.

Last edited:
Saturday 10th January

Tip 58 – MacOS [20] – Reverse Video (Black on white)

Hold down [CTRL] + [ALT] + [CMD] and press [8] to toggle between standard and reverse video mode.

Last edited:
Sunday 11th January

Tip 59 – MacOS [21] – Copy screen/part to CLIPBOARD

Remember tip 1 and tip 20 ie

Hold down [SHIFT] + [CMD] plus [3] to copy whole screen to desktop as a file
Hold down [SHIFT] + [CMD] plus [4] to copy section of screen to desktop as a file
Press [SPACE] after [4] on above tip to invoke window camera……

Well……. Hold down [CTRL] with [SHIFT] and [CMD] on any of the above and the image is copied directly to your clipboard instead of a file so that it can be copied directly into a document.

Last edited:
Monday 12th January

Tip 60 – MacOS [22] – Keyboard shortcuts general

If any of the keyboard shortcuts don't work they may be turned off.

Go to APPLE::confused:ystem Preferences....::Keyboard & Mouse

Click on the [Keyboard Shortcuts] tab.

Look down the list and make sure the shortcut you are wanting is switched on. You may also find other useful shortcuts there too.

Darren, I've got to say these are really helpful and thanks very much. I haven't got my iMac yet but she is slowly coming round to the 24" version and I am just biding my time. ;)

Great stuff! (y)

Colin, allow me to bump you along

She's a woman.
Women diet
It's New Year, ergo she'll be dieting.

Tell her how fabulous she looks. (Can even throw in how much more fabulous she will look on a 24")

You're welcome.

Friday 9th January

Tip 57 – MacOS [19] – Zooming in to your screen 2

Hold down [CMD] + [ALT] and you can zoom in and out with the [-] & [+] buttons.

you sure?? it command and shift plus - + for me

you sure?? it command and shift plus - + for me

I've just checked and yes it is [ALT] + [CMD]. [SHIFT]+[CMD] with [+] or [-] is zoom in for the contents of a window ie make safari's text etc bigger. My example is to zoom the entire screen in just like [CTRL] and scroll.

Ahhh Well i tried the [ALT] + [CMD] with [-] and [+] and mine does not zoom in should this work on anything?

Just got it working as I remember if i press cmd and alt with number 8 it turns it on so i can use the zoom

Just got it working as I remember if i press cmd and alt with number 8 it turns it on so i can use the zoom

It is the whole screen, just have a look at Tip 60. This effect will probably be disabled but you can turn it back on.

I got the same as Rookies, had to press ALT + CMD 8 to get it to work too...

I got the same as Rookies, had to press ALT + CMD 8 to get it to work too...

Look at tip 60 everyone and go to:

APPLE::confused:ystem preferences..::Keyboard & Mouse

Now select the "Keyboard Shortcuts" tab

If you look down the list Zooming needs to be switched on which as Craikeybaby said is ALSO done with [ALT] + [CMD] +[8] although when I wrote the tips mine was on. I sometime forget what the default state of a lot of these things is :) but at least with this check you can see what yours is set to.

Back