FINISHED: Apple / MacOS Tip a day for a year !

Back to iWeb, can I only publish my sites to my www.fullframeimages.co.uk account if I have mobileme?

David

I will be explaining how to publish sites using Mobile Me and normally over the next week. You can use sites created using iWeb without a mobile me account it just requires a TINY bit of extra work.

EDIT: Tip 212

Last edited:
The built in apps are really very good and having spoken to people in threads, by PM and through my site it has become apparent that lots of people have simply overlooked them without realising just what they can do. iPhoto really is up to a lot of peoples needs for storing and sorting their photos and I will show how to crop photos, alter levels, remove red eye etc etc etc over the next few weeks too.

I will be explaining how to publish sites using Mobile Me and normally over the next week. You can use sites created using iWeb without a mobile me account it just requires a TINY bit of extra work.

I look forward to these tips over the coming weeks. Just getting around my new Mac Mini. iLife '09 seems like a nice bit of kit.

DB

I have not actually got iLife09, still using iLife08 at the moment but will get iLife09 shortly then if there are any changes I will go back through the tips and post alternates BUT you should have no problems with following them anyway :)

Thursday 11th June
Tip 210 - iPhoto [5] - Naming individual photos

When you import your photos into iPhoto they will, by default, take on the name that is their filename. If the files have come from your camera then this is unlikely to be what you want. For that reason I would suggest that you might want to rename each file and to do this we use the information window or alternatively we can click VIEW>>Titles which turns on the title view.

TIP210a.PNG

To change a title click on the current title which will then change into a text box. Now overtype what you want the title to be. Continue this for all the pictures.

Friday 12th June
Tip 211 - iWeb [3] - Using iPhoto Events

Once you have created your iPhoto events you can then use them within iWeb (and in fact iDVD etc). So now that we have learnt to create an event we can return to iWeb and see how to use it.

Right in iWeb we need to create a second page so go to File>>New page or [CMD] + [N].

TIP211a.PNG

Click on [Photos] and click [Choose]

TIP211b.PNG

Just like we did with the welcome page we can click on the text and change it so do this first and then we can look at the photos.

Now with iWeb open on your new page and iPhoto open on the Event page click on the event and drag it onto your iWeb page where the photos are.

TIP211c.PNG

Now if we preview this we should get the following page (remember click on publish to folder and then select view - I have a folder called EXPORT just for this reason).

TIP211d.PNG

Saturday 13th June
Tip 212 - iWeb [4] - Publish your site on the internet

EDIT: iLife09's iWeb have FTP upload options built in (unfortunately I do not have iLife09 yet so cannot give you instructions on how to use it yet. There does not seem to be any 30 day trial either which does not help).

Once you have created your iWeb site here is how to use it.

There is nothing particularly complicated here all you need to do is upload the folder that you created when you were previewing your website! You need to upload it to the site route directory so if you buy the web site www.ieatredmarbles.com then the file index.html inside your preview folder needs to be in the route directory of www.ieatredmarbles.com. To do this you will need a FTP client. I use iFetch but there are numerous FTP clients available.

http://www.upgradeyourmac.co.uk/toptips/iWebExample1/index.html

Enjoy it :)

Next couple of tips will be how to install and use an FTP client, just off to look for a free one for you all.

Last edited:
Sunday 14th June
Tip 213 - Cyberduck [1] - Download and install - FTP Client Software

An FTP client is a piece of software that allows you to upload and download files from a remote server and it is this that we use to upload and download our web site from our ISP.

Cyberduck is a free FTP Client. I am using Cyberduck for this because it is FREE.

Goto:

http://www.cyberduck.ch/

Look for the heading [Download]

Client on this and it should download the software to your downloads directory.

When it has finished downloading a folder will pop up containing all the files.

TIP213.PNG

Create a folder called Cyberduck in your applications folder and drag the contents of the downloaded folder into it.

Although Cyber Duck is free I please donate to the author if you are using this software as without donations free software may just disappear.

Last edited:
Monday 15th June
Tip 214 - Cyberduck [2] - Setup and use

Right now in order to use Cyberduck just run it by clicking on the icon

TIP214a.png

Now with Cyberduck running click on the icon Open Connection

TIP214b.png

The fields you need are:

SERVER: This is normally your web page address

USERNAME: This will be supplied by your ISP and MAY be your primary email address but not always.

PASSWORD: This will normally be your primary email password but may be different, just ask your ISP

Once you have completed this information click on the tick box "Add to Keychain" in order that your computer remembers this information (you want it ticked).

Now click [Connect]

Your computer should connect to the remote directory at the ISP. You can now copy files to and from your directory at the ISP including the directory containing your iWeb files.

Last edited:
Right, I'm going for a lie down now :LOL:

I seem to be 3 weeks in front again, well at least it beats being 3 weeks behind. I will continue with iPhoto and iWeb plus introduce iDVD over the coming weeks. They all work together and I am trying to introduce them in a logical order so will be switching between them over and over.

Just been reading back through your thread and back on page 6 you're talking about upgrades and making quicker. Would this (http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1TB-...int-F1-SATA-300-7200-rpm-32MB-Cache-89-ms-NCQ) fit in a Mac Mini?

DB

Nope sorry that is a 3.5" drive (I bought 2 of those myself last week :))

What you need is a 9.5mm 7200rpm 2.5" drive for max speed so this is the holy grail:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/320GB-Hitachi-TravelStar-EA-7K320-25-SATA-300-7200rpm-16MB-Cache @ £91.34

320 Gb and FAST

If you don't mind dropping to 5400rpm then you can get a 500Gb drive:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/500-...point-M6-25-SATA-300-5400-rpm-8MB-Cache-12-ms @ £75.46

There is a faster drive that is 2.5", the velociraptor BUT this creates too much heat and requires its 3.5" cradle so is no good at all.

Tuesday 16th June
Tip 215 - FreeNAS [11] - Using FreeNAS as an iTunes server

FreeNAS has a number of extra options that you may wish to take advantage of and one of them is the ability to act as an iTunes server. To set this up...

Services :: iTunes/DAAP

TIP215.png

You now need to activate the process by clicking [enable] to the right hand side then enter a name for the iTunes library. In this example I have simply called in proliant.

Next you need to click on the [...] button for "Database directory" and select the directory that the iTunes database files are in.

TIP215b.png

Then click on the [...] button for "Content" and select the database file ie the ".db" file then click [Add]. From the directory that you can see above you will see that it is called "songs3.db" on my system.

Finally click on [Save and Restart].

Now when you start iTunes you will see an entry in the left hand pane showing the iTunes server with the name that you entered above. Click on this and you will have access to the music on the server avoiding you having to have the music on each individual machine.

Last edited:
What you want to do is set up a blog, write all the posts and set them so one is published each day, then get one of the mods on here to link it to the forum (they have done it with others blogs), that way you could get a proper tip of the day instead of a load on some days! :p

(Also I'm guessing quite a lot of others on the internet would be interested too.)

What you want to do is set up a blog, write all the posts and set them so one is published each day, then get one of the mods on here to link it to the forum (they have done it with others blogs), that way you could get a proper tip of the day instead of a load on some days! :p

(Also I'm guessing quite a lot of others on the internet would be interested too.)

They were a tip of the day and posted like that but now they sort of just average a tip of the day. Plus quite a few of them are collections of tips about a subject and if I posted them one per day other people have jumped in and posted replies which I had already written but that are waiting to be posted! Every so often I transfer them to my web site but everyone here gets them first. There is a categorised version on www.upgradeyourmac.co.uk

There have been a good few tips that would be useful for users of Windows but when I did a post to let them know it just got a little out of hand :bonk: Most notably the networking & NAS tips plus more recently Cyberduck (tips 213-214)

Hi Cowasaki,

Thanks for doing this. Just so you know people are still reading, and appreciating these tips.

(y)

Thanks,

I might just carry on even after tip 365 ! Snow Leopard will be out by then, then iWorks10 etc etc etc........

Hey wouldn't it be good if someone did something like this for Windows, Linux, Photography ;)

Note update to freeNAS tip 2 - re different builds.

How does FreeNAS work - do i just need an external HDD, then install FreeNAS and configure it as above, then it'll work as an iTunes Server?

You need an old PC basically, something 4 years old should be enough. I originally did the tips (they start at about 200 ish) using an old AMD 1GHz machine.

You plug it in set it up as described in the first few tips then you can remove its keyboard, mouse and monitor (or alternatively use one of those cheap 2 port KVM switches for about £13 from scan that plugs two computers into one keyboard, mouse and monitor).

Once the original setup is done (less than an hour!) you switch to web based setup which (if you follow my instructions) should take another hour or so. Then you are done, one NAS. You can then setup any optional processes like the above iTunes one.

Not a tip but here is something that might be useful with the NAS. For those of you that have not seen one, this is a KVM.

It has two sets of (keyboard + video + mouse) leads which plug into two computers then you plug your actual keyboard, mouse and monitor into the box in the middle.

You can then switch between which computer you are controlling using a combination of key strokes. My KVM for example uses [CTRL] then [CTRL] then [1] or [2] or [3] or [4] to switch computers. This allows you to have your main computer with its monitor, keyboard and mouse and when you want to access the other computer switch over....

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Newl...ng-Attached-MOULDED-PS2-VGA-CABLE-(NLKVM-P2PC)

Cost is £11.37 from scan

Last edited:
They were a tip of the day and posted like that but now they sort of just average a tip of the day. Plus quite a few of them are collections of tips about a subject and if I posted them one per day other people have jumped in and posted replies which I had already written but that are waiting to be posted! Every so often I transfer them to my web site but everyone here gets them first. There is a categorised version on www.upgradeyourmac.co.uk

There have been a good few tips that would be useful for users of Windows but when I did a post to let them know it just got a little out of hand :bonk: Most notably the networking & NAS tips plus more recently Cyberduck (tips 213-214)

Ahh, makes sense.:)

I would contemplate starting one but I don't know enough tips to do 365 of them, and I have enough trouble updating my blog regularly, let alone another thing.:LOL:

I have been following this all the way and Love it... I am now starting to use iWeb since you started lessons on it :) one thing i like to know can i protect my images on iWeb?

I have been following this all the way and Love it... I am now starting to use iWeb since you started lessons on it :) one thing i like to know can i protect my images on iWeb?

There are several techniques for protecting images but none of them actually work! If you can SEE them then you can nick them. All you can do is make it harder for people or alternatively watermark them. If you have PS or PSE then my scripts will do that otherwise lots of software will. As an example you can protect an image by placing a clear image over the top of it so if they right click or drag it they get the clear image BUT the user can just nick it from the cache instead!

Wednesday 17th June
Tip 216 - MacOS [105] - Quick duplicate file

Click on the file and then hold [ALT], now with [ALT] held down move your mouse pointer and the file will be recreated in the new location without removing the original. If the location is the same folder then 2/3/4 etc will be added (if the file has a number at the end MacOS will increment this number otherwise it adds "2").

Last edited:
Thursday 18th June
Tip 217 - MacOS[106] - Using Hotmail with Mail

Run Mail from Applications

Open the Accounts page: Mail :: Preferences :: Accounts

In the bottom left corner click [+] to add an account.

You will now see the "Add Account" screen

Full Name: <enter your name>
Email Address: <enter your full hotmail email address>
Password: <enter your password>

Click [Continue]

You will now see the "Incoming Mail Server" screen

Account Type: "POP"
Description: "Hotmail Account"
Incoming Mail Server: "pop3.live.com"
User Name: <enter your full hotmail email address>

Click [Continue]

You will now see the "Outgoing Mail Server" screen

Description: "Hotmail Account"
Outgoing Mail Server: "smtp.live.com"
Use only this server: <ticked>
Use Authenication: <ticked>
User Name: <enter your full hotmail email address>

Click [Continue]

Job done Mail will now handle your hotmail account.

Last edited:
Friday 19th June
Tip 218 - MacOS[107] - Maximize Windows with Right Zoom

Don't you just miss the "Full Screen" icon that Windows users have? Well I do but here is something that gives it back to Apple users!

First download the utility "Right Zoom" from Mac Update:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/30591/right-zoom

Now un-zip this and copy the program RightZoom to your utilities directory.

You can now run Right Zoom by double clicking this utility then you can go full screen by clicking on the little green [+] (third coloured icon in at the top left of each window!)

To make this happen every time to start your computer you need to use the auto start option which I will cover in the next tip.

Last edited:
Saturday 20th June
Tip 219 - MacOS[108] - Running a program on startup

Go to User Accounts:

APPLE :: Preferences... :: Accounts

and select "Login Items"

Now click the [+] under the words "To hide"

Navigate to the application you want and click on it.

Now click [Add]

There are several techniques for protecting images but none of them actually work! If you can SEE them then you can nick them. All you can do is make it harder for people or alternatively watermark them. If you have PS or PSE then my scripts will do that otherwise lots of software will. As an example you can protect an image by placing a clear image over the top of it so if they right click or drag it they get the clear image BUT the user can just nick it from the cache instead!

Which script you got to put water marks on images can only find border versions

Which script you got to put water marks on images can only find border versions

Thats the script, it does everything !

You can add borders, shadows, EXIF data, copyright images (use these as a watermark), copyright text (or these as a watermark), resize images, change image filetype.

Oh and the new version 1.24 (only reg users got 1.23) has the addition of GPS information. The new version will be launched shortly.......

OMG, thanks for the Hotmail tip, cowasaki - this must be a new feature of Mail or perhaps a new feature of Hotmail, because you couldn't do this a year ago. Works great (y)

You can count me as a big appreciator of your efforts in this thread :clap:

SHOULD BE STICKIED!!!

Sunday 21st June
Tip 220 - FreeNAS[12] - Share problems.

> When I create a share it does not appear...

• You must disconnect from the server and then re-connect in order for new shares to appear.

> I have created a share but when I save things to it they just disappear!

• If this happens then goto ADVANCED :: File Manager then enter your NAS user name and password.
  • Locate the directory, which should be under MNT :: <drive> :: <directory> and change the access so that everything is ticked (by clicking on the entry under "Perm's").
  • Copy a folder with some files in it into the share from macOS.
  • In the File Manager use the "Reload page" option. You will now see the folder plus the ".DS_Store" file.
  • Change the access rights of the ".DS_Store" file to tick everything (by clicking on the entry under "Perm's").
  • Delete the directory that you just created.
  • In MacOS eject the share (right click it and select eject).
  • Re-connect to the share.
  • The share will now actually work correctly.

Monday 22nd June
Tip 221 - iWeb [5] - Include a map in your web site.

Well this is a useful addition and very simple to do. First find the icon for "Web Widgets"

TIP221a.png

click this and select "Google Map" from the pop-up menu:

TIP221b.png

You will now see a re-sizable box appear on the screen containing a map plus a dialogue box for you to enter the address.

TIP221c.png

TIP221d.png

Now click on the map and place this on your web page at the location that you want the map to appear. You can then enter the address that you want the map to show into the address box.

Last edited:
Back