FINISHED: Apple / MacOS Tip a day for a year !

Tuesday 23rd June
Tip 222 - Safari4 [8] - Opening new tabs/windows.

In Safari's preferences there is a tab for "Tabs". Open this

Safari :: Preferences :: Tabs

TIP222a.png

With the option ticked

You can now click on the top option "[Apple]-click opens a link in a new tab". If you do then the information at the bottom changes as can be seen below:

TIP222b.png

With the option UNticked

With the option ticked it opens new links in a new tab rather than a new window but it does not force the issue! To force the issue you hold down the [APPLE] key.

With the option not ticked it does the same but with a new window.

With both options pressing [SHIFT] at the same time makes that tab or window the active one but this too can be overridden with the second option in which case holding the button reverses the situation.

Holding down the [ALT] key reverses the tab/window creation...

I know this sounds complicated but it is not that bad and just makes it more flexible. Keep the properties window open and change the options and the text at the bottom will change to tell you what it all means.

Last edited:
Wednesday 24th June
Tip 223 - MacOS[109] - Finding settings.

If you ever want to find out how to change a setting for something in preferences but cannot remember how then bring up preferences and in the top right box start typing...... In this example we are looking for mouse settings so type [m] then [o] then etc and as you do so any icons that cover that item are highlighted.

TIP223.png

Last edited:
[QUOTETip 67 – Airport [1] – Setting up an airport network

Your airport extreme or airport express will come with instructions from Apple. Basically plug it in and connect it via an Ethernet cable to your computer.

Run the Airport utilty and click on the Airport device in the left hand plane.

][/QUOTE]

With regards to Airport Express/Extreme

1 Can i use the airport express on any wireless network (the one at home is run from a p.c)

2 Can i replace the wireless router at home for the airport Extreme basestation and get this to work with the P.C

1 - Yes (my parents do this)

2 - Yes, although if it is one from your broadband company you may need to continue to use the old one for the internet connection. TBH if your router already support 802.11 N there isn't much need to switch.

Last edited:
1 - Yes (my parents do this)

wooo :) will try this first, then look at changing the ancient router to an airport extreme
Doubt our current router supports 802.11 the hamster wouldn't be able to take it

cheers

Andy

wooo :) will try this first, then look at changing the ancient router to an airport extreme
Doubt our current router supports 802.11 the hamster wouldn't be able to take it

cheers

Andy

It can be a pain to set up at first, but well worth it for the extra range and air tunes.

I'd be very worried if a wireless router didn't support 802.11 ;)

There seems to be a little confusion, only a little mind :)

Basically airport express and airport extremes are pretty much the same thing in different packages with a few different features.

What they SHARE

INPUT wired network port
USB port for connection to a printer
802.11n wireless networking

What the EXPRESS HAS extra

3.5mm COMBINED optical and electrical audio output

What the EXTREME HAS extra

(NEW MODEL) - Dual network channels so you can configure one for a wireless internet port for anyone without access to your home network and one for connection to the internet AND your network.
4 x 1Gigabit SWITCH sockets.
USB port upgraded to allow printer OR hard drive OR a hub to allow any combination of printers or hard drives.

If you have an existing wired network you can simply plug EITHER of the airports into it and then run the airport configure software and hey presto your network becomes wireless too.

If you have both you can set it so that the express shares the configuration etc with the extreme and you can then use WDS to extend your network to a larger building. I do this and it works well. When using WDS you CAN use the express to connect to your wireless network wirelessly and receive and transmit wirelessly thereby increasing the range without having a wire going to the airport.

If your current router is 802.11n AND has WDS you SHOULD be able to configure the airport to use the current routers configuration for passwords etc but I have not tried this myself.

If your current router is 802.11n AND has WDS you SHOULD be able to configure the airport to use the current routers configuration for passwords etc but I have not tried this myself.

ive no idea if it is, will have to check when im back in UK at the end of the month, :thinking:

As you may have gathered i dont really know much about computers networking etc

.......I can always pay you with duty free when i get stuck (y)

Ooops, yeah, I forgot about the dual channel thing, that is really useful.

ive no idea if it is, will have to check when im back in UK at the end of the month, :thinking:

As you may have gathered i dont really know much about computers networking etc

.......I can always pay you with duty free when i get stuck (y)

Oo a local :)

Business will continue as usual in the next few days :LOL:

Thursday 25th June
Tip 224 - iDVD[1] - Create new iDVD project.

Run iDVD from Applications.

TIP224a.png

and select "Create a New Project"

TIP224b.png

Now change the name of your project and select whether it will be 4:3 or 16:9 and click [Create]

TIP224c.png

Last edited:
Friday 26th June
Tip 225 - iDVD[2] - Select a theme.

Following on from Tip 224....

TIP224c.png

In the top right corner you can select which group of themes to use, this defaults to "7.0 Themes"

If you scroll down the right hand pane you will see a number of themes that you can choose from and clearly your choice will depend on what your target is. I did a DVD of all my god son's 1st years pictures recently and "Sunflower" seemed like a good choice.

TIP225a.png

We will actually select this theme to use for our demonstration project, so to do this double click on the "Sunflower" theme and the main screen will change to show it.

TIP225b.png

Last edited:
Saturday 27th June
Tip 226 - iDVD[3] - Changing the Main Screen.

Following on from Tip 225....

TIP225b.png

You can now see the opening screen of your DVD which is currently called "Sunflower Main".

To change the title double click on "Sunflower Main" you now be able to edit the text of the title plus the size and font. In order to move the title around the screen you can just click on it and drag it to where you want.

You will notice the large sun flower to the left just drag a picture and drop it onto the flower where it says "Drop Zone"

TIP226a.PNG

Last edited:
Sunday 28th June
Tip 227 - iDVD[4] - Navigation and sub menus.

Following on from Tip 226....

TIP226a.PNG

We need to move around our DVD now that we have our main screen designed. In order to navigate we click on the navigation button.

TIP227a.PNG

You will now see the navigation screen

TIP227b.PNG

You will see a miniature version of the main screen in the middle of the window with another screen above it and an arrow leading from that screen. This allows you to add a piece of video to the beginning of your DVD that will be displays prior to the main menu. This is normally used for a copyright screen or something similar.

To add the copyright video simply drag it onto the top box but we are not going to do that on this demo and we are now going to add two chapter screens.

TIP227c.PNG

Click on the [+] and select "Add sub menu" then click on it again to create two new sub menus.

TIP227d.PNG

To select a sub menu to view full screen just double click on it.

TIP227e.PNG

The first time that you do this the display will change to that sub menu but it will be playing as a movie. To stop this click on the two icons shown below which are in blue.

TIP227f.PNG

The middle icon stops and starts the moving preview.

In order to see what the sub menu looks like click on the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen and drag it left and right.

Go back to the navigation screen by clicking on the navigation button and click on the main screen again.

You will see that two new entries have appeared below "iDVD Project Demo", these are the links to the new sub menus. Just like we changed the name originally we can change the two sub menu titles.

Last edited:
Monday 29th June
Tip 228 - iDVD[5] - Previewing your DVD.

Following on from Tip 227....

You can now click on the [PLAY] button to preview your DVD

TIP228a.png

The preview will start from the position that you are at in the menu system, to start from the absolute beginning click [title] from the DVD remote.

TIP228b.png

From the main menu you will now see the two submenus listed with the new names that you gave them. You can go to either sub menu by clicking on them. You will notice that there is a sunflower with a [Back] arrow on it when you select a sub menu and to return to the main menu you can just click on that.

Last edited:
Tuesday 30th June
Tip 229 - iDVD[6] - Changing the sub menus.

Following on from Tip 228....

Both menus will still have the default name "Sunflower Extras". In order to change this return to iDVD and the navigation screen then select each submenu and change the title as we have done previously with other titles.

Remember these three buttons:

TIP227f.PNG

I explained that the first button was the navigation button and the second turns the moving preview on and off. The third button goes into the editor mode for sub menu

TIP229a.png

This brings up the Media/Photos but you can still change things without this mode.

Drag a picture into the drop zone of the sun flower, in my example I dragged a fylde sheep into the sunflower. You can also drag another picture into the background to change that.

TIP229b.png

Last edited:
Wednesday 1st July
Tip 230 - iDVD[7] - Adding a slide show.

Following on from Tip 229....

Right, as a photographer THIS is the big one. This allows you to create a fantastic photo DVD containing thousands of pictures all categorised.

Right you now need to click on the screen that you want your photo slide show to come FROM, in our demo we want the slide show to be located FROM the main screen. So click on the main screen (just click not double click) then....

Locate these icons at the bottom left of the screen.

TIP227c.PNG

Click on the [+] and select "Add Slideshow"

TIP230a.png

As you can now see you have "My slideshow" added as a sub menu from the main menu.

We will now change the slide show's title from the main menu. Double click on the Main slide and you will see "my slideshow" at the bottom. As we have done several times before we can change the name by clicking on it once to select it and then click on it again to edit it. Now change it to "Photographs".

You can now add your photographs, there are two ways to do this either double click on the slide from the navigator screen or alternatively (and easier because it is on the screen now) double click on the link.

TIP230b.png

As you can see there is a big white box with "Drag images here" and the media selector to the right has images selected. You can drag pictures from anywhere you like onto the left, they do not actually need to be from iPhoto.

As can be seen from the next picture I have added all the 22 pictures from the previous iLife examples "Sunrise over the fylde".

TIP230c.png

If you now click on the [PLAY] button you can see your slide show running, to stop it just click the slide show's red close button.

Last edited:
Thursday 2nd July
Tip 231 - iDVD[8] - Slide show settings.

Following on from Tip 230....

TIP230c.png

If you now click on the [PLAY] button you can see your slide show running, to stop it just click the slide show's red close button.

Settings

Click on the settings icon and you will see the following menu appear.

TIP231a.png

This gives you several really useful options.

Loop slideshow

This is pretty self explanatory and if clicked the slide show will return to the first picture after it has displayed the last picture.

Display navigation arrows

If selected this displays back and forward arrows together with the pictures.

Add image files to DVD-ROM

This is a REALLY useful option! If you click on this option then all your pictures are added to a directory on the DVD which people can then use. So if you make a DVD of wedding pictures for a relative they can then take the DVD in to Tescos and get some prints off it without them having to mess about.

Show titles and comments

This shows the picture name with each picture and allows you to add further text as a comment. When you click on this option the screen will show this:

TIP231b.png

Duck audio while playing movies

Lowers the volume of the slideshow soundtrack while the movie in your slideshow.

Last edited:
Friday 3rd July
Tip 232 - iDVD[9] - iDVD Preferences.

General

The options under the "General" tab are pretty self explanatory. The option "Show Apple logo watermark" is one that you might want to untick!

Projects

The "Video Mode" option is rather important, make sure that it is selected as PAL for use in Europe. Leave "Encoding" as it is and the last option "DVD Type" selects whether the disc created is a single or double layer disc.

Slideshow

These options are similar to the ones I explained in tip 231 but here they are the defaults so if you click "Always add original photos to DVD-ROM contents" or "Show titles and comments" these will be the normal setting.

"Fade volume out at the end of slideshow" is self explanatory whilst "Always scale slides to TV Safe Area" makes sure that the slide being shown will fit on the screen.

Movies

Under this tab you can add all the directories that you normally store movies in. The option at the top allows iDVD to automatically add chapter submenus.

Advanced

You can leave these options alone as none should affect you.

Please Mr Cowasaki sir can we have some more tips?

Will that do? I will finish off iDVD over the next few days and add a few more tips too. I am only a couple of days behind now :LOL:

Just broken the 500 barrier for posts on this thread :), I might even carry on after 365 :LOL:

Will that do? I will finish off iDVD over the next few days and add a few more tips too. I am only a couple of days behind now

Just broken the 500 barrier for posts on this thread , I might even carry on after 365

Ta for that :D (y)

Of course the question is, what tips will you put in the next 365? :LOL:

Just to bring this back to the first page - seems to have dropped back to the bottom of page two.

Great tips and look forward to seeing the rest!

DB

More coming shortly. I might even get some done today. I'm just sat here catching up on a few things whilst men in blue coats drill big holes in my house! Just having new central heating put in.

At least they are not men in white coats!!!

Not meant as anything other than bringing it back to the top.

Thanks for the great tips!

DB

Saturday 4th July
Tip 233 - Talk Photography - Printing one tip (or one post)

Whilst viewing one post look above the post to the top right and you will see a hash symbol followed by a number. This number is the post number. To view it click on the number and that post will then be displayed in it's own window. You can now Select FILE :: Print or alternatively [CMD] + [P].

Sunday 5th July
Tip 234 - MacOS[110] - Parental Controls (introduction)

Parental controls allow us as adults/parents to restrict what the kids can do whist using the computer. There are several types of account that you can create under MacOS and I covered two of them in an earlier tip ie. Admin and Standard for parental control we will be using a third type of account and this is called Managed with Parental Controls.

First open System Preferences:

APPLE :: System Preferences....

and click [Parental Controls]

As none are set up yet you will get a screen telling you this as shown here.

TIP234a.png

We now need to create the account to manage and we can do this from the Accounts icon in System Pereferences or Apple have left us a short cut in this window so we can just click on the button [Open Accounts Preferences...]

With Account preferences open click on the [+] button at the bottom left and you will get the normal account creation window.

TIP234b.png

You need to change the account type to [Managed with Parental Controls] then type in the full name, short name and a password then click [Create Account].

Once the account has been created your view in Parental Controls will now show the account that you have just created.

TIP234c.png

Last edited:
Monday 6th July
Tip 235 - MacOS[111] - Parental Controls (basic settings)

Now that we have the first account setup we can start to modify the users settings. Select Parental Controls from System Preferences and you will see this screen (unless it is still unlocked, in which case just jump to the next image):

TIP235a.png

Click on the padlock icon in the bottom left and the screen will then switch to the main parental controls option screen as we saw earlier ie

TIP234c.png

When you see the above screen you need to click on the user's account that you wish to change so in this case I will click on "Joe Bloggs"

System

TIP235b.png

Use Simple Finder

This gives a cut down desktop and is supposed to help young or inexperienced users. I wouldn't bother with it as it only means that when they are used to the computer they then need to learn a new desktop.

Only allow selected applications

This allows you to limit which applications that particular person can use. You could use it for example to allow the kids to use Keynote for their homework but not use GarageBand or iTunes.

Content

TIP235c.png

Hide profanity in Dictionary

This option basically does exactly what it says and removes words from the normal dictionary which might be profanities.

Website Restrictions

This option is probably going to be the most used option and allows you to limit which sites the kids can view. By clicking on the option "Try to limit access to adult websites automatically" MacOS will try and stop the user accessing sites it believes to have adult content. You can modify this further by clicking on the [Customize...] button and adding specific web sites or by removing specific sites that MacOs feels are adult but that you are happy for the kids to use. The last option is "Allow access to only these websites" and this option will basically stop the user from accessing anything other than pre-arranged sites.

Last edited:
Tuesday 7th July
Tip 236 - MacOS[112] - Parental Controls (advanced settings)

Mail & iChat

TIP236a.png

Limit Mail and Limit iChat

This allows you to select which people the user can send and receive Email from and Chat to. Once either one or both of the options are selected you can then access the options below. So click on "Limit Mail" and then you are able to select [+] below. Click the [+] button and you will see the option window

TIP236b.png

If the person is in your address book already then you can click the down arrow and select them from the list. Otherwise type in the first and last name and in the box below type the email address. The option below "Add person to my address book" allows you to add the person whos details you have just entered into your address book.

If you click the option at the bottom of the screen "Send permission requests to:" and type in your email address in the next box then you can receive an email when your kids want to communicate with anyone not in the list. This allows you to add them should you want to.

Time Limits

TIP236c.png

As you can see this option allows you to limit how many hours that the user can spend on the computer on a particular day. The week is split into weekdays and weekends as you might want to allow extended use at weekend. If you do want to limit the amount of use simply click on the tick box and slide the slider left or right to change the amount of time. The option Bedtime limits the actual start and finish time of any computer curfew and again works the same way, just click on the option "School nights" or "weekend" and change the start and finish time.

Logs

TIP236d.png

This allows you to see what your child has been up to. At the moment it will all be empty because you are just setting it up but once it has been used you will see contents displayed in the box.

Last edited:
Wednesday 8th July
Tip 237 - MacOS[113] - Replying to an email or forwarding with just PART of what was sent

When someone sends you an email and you want to forward just part of it you can just select that part then click [REPLY] or [FORWARD]. This will start a new email containing just that part of the original one.

Thursday 9th July
Tip 238 - MacOS[114] - Quickly sending a file by email

You can start mail and click on the new mail button then click and add an attachment or a quicker alternative is click on the file that you want to email and drag it onto the mail icon then drop it. Mail will start up with a new window and the file already set as an attachment.

Friday 10th July
Tip 239 - MacOS[115] - Sending a folder by email

Click on the folder that you want to email and drag it onto the mail icon then drop it. Mail will start up with a new window and the folder already set as an attachment. The folder will automatically be zipped up ready for the recipient .

Saturday 11th July
Tip 240 - Safari4[9] - Saving files/pictures from Safari

The following tip allows you to save pictures and other linked files from any web page. This also allows you to save YOUTUBE videos :)

With Safari running click [CMD] + [ALT] then [A]. A window will now be displayed showing all the linked files. Double click on the file you want. This will now be opened in a new window if it is an image otherwise it will download it.

Last edited:
Sunday 12th July
Tip 241 - Safari4[10] - Auto complete page in Safari

With the page displayed in Safar click [CMD] + [SHIFT] then [A]. Safari will attempt to auto complete the page.

Last edited:
Monday 13th July
Tip 242 - iWeb[6] - Backup or move iWeb files

The iWeb directory is stored at:

[HOME]/library/Application Support/iWeb/Domain

You can now copy this to another computer into the same location or save it as a backup.

Tuesday 14th July
Tip 243 - MacOS[116] - Forward email (from original sender)

Select the email in your list and right click it. Now select [redirect]. The email will now be sent to the new location just like forward does BUT the return address will be the person who sent it to you instead of you. It will say that you have redirected it though.

Back