FINISHED: Apple / MacOS Tip a day for a year !

I keep getting three dmg folders reappearing on my desk top. I keep ejecting them and they keep coming back, they are Paintbrush, Perian & Skype... how do I make it stop it's annoying the hell out of me!:bang::help:

dmg files are special files that mimic a file system much in the same way that a zip file can. It sounds like they are being placed there as part of an install routine or being downloaded.

Most software on the mac is installed by placing it in the Applications or Utilities directory and then when it is run for the first time it detects where it is and saves its data and temporary files to the relevant locations. Some software however insists that you run an install routine (like my script writer software does) there is nothing wrong with this method and it has advantages plus disadvantages.

Sometimes when you run an application that is designed to be installed it places other files ready for you to install other parts in a location handy for you then continues and runs normally. What have you recently installed? It could be that you need to move the installer back to the desktop, install it then delete the installer because the installer could be copying these files to the desktop each time it runs! You should then be able to run the application from the normal Applications directory minus the install script so it does not do this each time.

If this does not fix it then I wrote a script that deletes certain files every time you log in, you could install this on your computer and just change the filenames but it would be easier to find the culprit.

Hmm interesting, I think the only thing that recently installed was an OS update. I'll have a root around in the folders and see if I can find out what's going on.

Thanks

Mark

Saturday 8th August
Tip 268 - MacOS[132] - Recent documents

For new switchers MacOS too has a recent documents list. Click on the Apple Icon and when the menu appears select "Recent Items". This will show you the ten most recent documents, applications and servers/shares that you have used.

Last edited:
Sunday 9th August
Tip 269 - Networking[10] - Multiple network settings

There are times when you might want to use different network settings. If you have a laptop you might take it to several locations and rather than using the automatic settings it is often better to specify one. An example of this would be that some cafes etc have a free internet connection whilst next door there might be one you pay for. If you leave it on automatic it keeps trying to attach to the one next door and bringing up the page showing you how to pay. You could just go into networking each time and change the settings but there is another way. You can set it specific network settings for different locations.

Go to APPLE :: System preferences... :: Network

At the top of the screen you will see "Location: Automatic". Click on the arrows at the right hand side and click on "EDIT CONNECTIONS" then click on the [+] at the bottom left.

A new entry "Untitled" will appear and you can change this to whatever you like such as "WORK", "COFFEE SHOP" or whatever you like.

Now any changes you make are saved under that name. Now to revert to your previous settings just click the arrows and select the name of the connection.

Monday 10th August
Tip 270 - Networking[11] - Renaming, deleting and duplicating connections

As a follow on from the previous tip you can duplicate an existing tip by clicking on the cog icon after clicking "EDIT LOCATIONS" this brings up a menu asking "Duplicate Entry" & "Rename Entry".

You can delete an existing entry by clicking on the [-] button.

Tuesday 11th August
Tip 271 - Networking[12] - Quick select of network connection

Click the APPLE icon and select "Location" under this all your locations are shown and you can quickly select the one you want.

Wednesday 12th August
Tip 272 - MacOS[133] - Force Quit

On occasion an application will go wrong. I is rarer on MacOS that it will crash the computer but it can crash the application. To stop the application you must "FORCE QUIT" it.

Click the APPLE icon and select "Force Quit".

The Force Quit dialogue box will appear and you can now select the errant application and make it close by clicking on the [Force Quit] button. If you do this to finder it will close down and automatically restart.

Thursday 13th August
Tip 273 - MacOS[134] - Force Quit 2

As well as selecting "Force Quit" via the menu options there is another way.

Hold down the [ALT] & [CMD] keys and press [ESCAPE] this will also bring up the force quit dialogue.

Tip 300 - MacOS[144] - Software Update frequency/automation.
Tip 301 - MacOS[145] - Shortcut/Alias creation.
Tip 302 - Snow Leopard[6] - HP Scanner workaround.
Tip 303 - MacOS[146] - Align desktop icons.
Tip 304 - Applications MAIL - Keyboard shortcuts.
Tip 305 - HP Photosmart/iPhone - Printing from your iPhone.
Tip 306 - Hardware - Macbook (inc pro) - Resetting the System Management Controller.
Tip 307 - Snow Leopard[7] - Improved battery monitor.
Tip 308 - Airport[8] - Using latest firmware.
Tip 309 - Snow Leopard[8] - WOL Wake on LAN/Wake on Demand.
Tip 310 - MacOS[147] - Problems with Windows sharing.
Tip 311 - MacOS[148] - File systems.
Tip 312 - Backup[1] - General.
Tip 313 - Backup[2] - Mail. UPDATE (23/09/09): NOW INCLUDING BACKUP OF YOUR SETTINGS AND ACCOUNTS
Tip 314 - Backup[3] - Keychains.
Tip 315 - Backup[4] - iTunes.
Tip 316 - Backup[5] - Lightroom.
Tip 317 - iDVD[10] - Dtown tip part 1 - get the information.
Tip 318 - iDVD[11] - Creating the DVD & setup.
Tip 319 - iDVD[12] - Adding the content.
Tip 320 - iDVD[13] - Burning to disc.
Tip 321 - Backup[6] - iPhoto & iWeb.
Tip 322 - Backup[7] - Photoshop.
Tip 323 - Backup[8] - Documents and other files.
Tip 324 - Backup[9] - Aperture.
Tip 325 - MacOS[149] - Change default email account.
Tip 326 - Safari[9] - Customize Toolbar.
Tip 327 - Illustrator[1] - Creating business cards.
Tip 328 - Photoshop[1] - Cutting out a model.
Tip 329 - MacOS[151] - Navigating folders with keys.
Tip 330 - MacOS[152] - Start MacOS Help.
Tip 331 - MacOS[153] - Select buttons with TAB.
Tip 332 - MacOS[154] - Make your Mac talk.
Tip 333 - Snow Leopard[9] - Regular words with symbols.
Tip 334 - Snow Leopard[10] - Improved finder view options.
Tip 335 - MacOS[155] - Finding text in PDF file.
Tip 336 - MacOS[156] - Resizing a file vault.
Tip 337 - MacOS[157] - Reply to an email quoting PART of an email.
Tip 338 - MacOS[158] - Display the windows associated with an application.
Tip 339 - Hardware[] - Identify my Apple Computer.
Tip 340 - Hardware - Identify my Macbook.
Tip 341 - Hardware[] - Identify my Macbook pro.
Tip 342 - Hardware[] - Identify my Intel Macmini.
Tip 343 - Hardware[] - Identify my iMac.
Tip 344 - Hardware[] - Identify the Macbook Air.
Tip 345 - Hardware[] - Identify the Mac pro.
Tip 346 - MacOS[159] - Bluetooth file sharing setup.
Tip 347 - MacOS[160] - Bluetooth - pairing with another device.
Tip 348 - MacOS[161] - Sending and receiving a file.
Tip 349 - MacOS[162] - Adjust contrast.
Tip 350 - MacOS[163] - Remove duplicates from address book.
Tip 351 - MacOS[164] - Use calculator as a convertor.
Tip 352 - MacOS[165] - Different types of calculator.
Tip 353 - MacOS[166] - Calculations history.
Tip 354 - MacOS[167] - Migration Assistant.
Tip 355 - MacOS[168] - Processor activity monitor.
Tip 356 - MacOS[169] - Show path side bar.
Tip 357 - MacOS[170] - Mail Signature.
Tip 358 - MacOS[171] - Moving Mail Signatures to other computers.
Tip 359 - MacOS[172] - HTML Mail Signatures.
Tip 360 - MacOS[173] - Re-use Mac drive on PC or ext case.
Tip 361 - Hardware - Upgrade your own RAM and save money.
Tip 362 - Hardware - Upgrade your own HD and save money.
Tip 363 - MacOS[174] - Installed plug-ins for Safari.
Tip 364 - Virtualbox - Installation.
Tip 365 - Virtualbox - Install your OS.

Last edited:
Friday 14th August
Tip 274 - MobileMe[135] - Mobile Me Subscriptions

If you want to use MobileMe go to www.ebay.com and search for "MobileMe" there. There are plenty of sellers selling and you can pick up a bargain. MobileMe family pack for example for just over $100 or single user for under $70. They will send you the code electronically which you just type in to your account.

Last edited:
MobileMe - i've signed up for the trial and it's pretty cool.

Don't suppose you have any links on eBay to any that you think are genuine, as whenever i look, it's always a person selling individual users of a Family pack, so you only get 5GB i think it was.

Check for people who have sold loads of them with good feedback! I will be doing several mobileme tips over the next few days!

Saturday 15th August
Tip 275 - MobileMe[2] - Mobile Me getting your free 60 days.

Goto Apple's web site and subscribe.

http://www.apple.com/uk/mobileme/

now click on [FREE TRIAL] in the top right corner.

complete the first page and click continue.

now complete the second page with all your credit card details.

Click [Sign Up]

Remember that if you do decide to cancel do so before the 60 days are up.

After 60 days you will be charged £59 for your annual subscription or alternatively use the code which can be obtained by purchasing the mobileme service from ebay.

Last edited:
Sunday 16th August
Tip 276 - MobileMe[3] - Mobile Me setup your computer.

Now that you have your account you can go to the accounts page in preferences and enter your details.

APPLE :: System Preferences... :: Accounts

Click the padlock to unlock the preferences and enter your mobileme account name in order to lock this to your computer user name.

Save this and click the back arrow (top left) then click on MobileMe.

Now enter your password and your computer will connect to the mobile me server.

Once this is done you are now setup and we can look at the actual features that mobileme adds.

Last edited:
There were lots of 'teething problems' with MM in the early days and not only did I get the free trial but ended up with another 90 days free for the inconvenience... :eek: ... not that it was too much of an inconvenience... :D

:p

Monday 17th August
Tip 277 - MobileMe[4] - Syncronising your 1st (main) computer.

Make sure that this computer has all your data up to date.

We can now click the 2nd tab in the MobileMe setup labelled [SYNC].

Click on the tick at the top labelled "Synchronize with MobileMe:" and change this to manual for the moment.

Can click on the sections you want to syncronise and for me this would be:

• Bookmarks
  • Calendars
  • Contacts
  • Mail Accounts
  • Mail Rules, Signatures, and Smart Mailboxes.
  • Notes.

then for good measure click on the "Show status in menu bar" option.

Once this is done we need to syncronise MobileMe to our CURRENT setup.

Click on [Advanced] in the bottom right.

Click on [Reset sync data]

NOW BE CAREFUL.

Under "Replace" change this to "All Sync Info"

Now click THE ARROW UNDER THE MOBILEME SIGN

As can be seen here:

TIP277.png

Now click [Replace]

Once the update is complete and you return to the sync preferences tab change "Synchronise with MobileMe" to "Automatically" and click [Sync Now]

Last edited:
Tuesday 18th August
Tip 278 - MobileMe[5] - Syncronising your other computers.

We can now click the 2nd tab in the MobileMe setup labelled [SYNC].

Click on the tick at the top labelled "Synchronize with MobileMe:" and change this to manual for the moment.

Can click on the sections you want to syncronise and for me this would be: