New Sony Alpha's being launched next Weds....

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2009/08/01/alpha-850-24-megapixel-3fps-in-900-body/

'Sony’s new Alpha 850 will be identical to the Alpha 900 in size, handling and external design – including the omission of onboard flash. The camera, expected to be launched before September, uses the same 24.6 megapixel CMOS sensor as the Alpha 900 but has – it is rumoured – only a single BIONZ processor, and a very slightly modified viewfinder. It is shipped without the Remote Commander (this becomes an optional extra) indicating that minimum retail price is Sony’s aim.

This is a screen grab from Fotobrenner.de in Germany who have the body only offered for €1999.00 and the kit with SAM 28-75mm f/2.8 new lens for €2699.00. As listed that makes the body about 10% more expensive than the current street price of the Alpha 900 – indicating either that the A850 prices are RRP and will rapidly fall, or that the A900 is about to get a price hike. They offer the A900 for €2499.00 and that would – pro rata – make the UK street price for the A850 about £1599.

Specifications have been revealed in full, due to the placing of the GB (British) instruction manual PDF on the Sony South-East Asia official website as an accessible download

mmmmmm....perhaps i should have hung on until these new cameras come out instead of getting another A700 today :thinking:

i agree about the new A230,330 and A380's design being shocking :puke:

I think we did well to get the A700 at the price we have.

I bought it because its a great camera, and the price was as much as i would spend at this time

Looking forward to seeing the new line up, hopefully no new A700 that is twice as good for £500 :)

I would check one of the news sites like DPREVIEW first thing in the morning as they seem to be hot on new stuff. I imagine they have had a press launch already this week.

Ive got to be at Sony head office at 10am to see them in the flesh. Should be a good day.

Ill let you know what i think. Hopefully better than the 230 and 380 design ;)

Stuart

Hi guys

Just got back from Sony after getting stuck in the traffic on the M25.
Firstly im sorry I cant really tell you much because its still under embargo until tomorrow.

There were 3 new cameras and 2 new lenses.

Out of the two cameras only 2 are worth talking about as one is just a cut down version of the other.

Ask me some questions and i will see if i can answer without getting into trouble.

Stuart

Hi guys

Just got back from Sony after getting stuck in the traffic on the M25.
Firstly im sorry I cant really tell you much because its still under embargo until tomorrow.

There were 3 new cameras and 2 new lenses.

Out of the two cameras only 2 are worth talking about as one is just a cut down version of the other.

Ask me some questions and i will see if i can answer without getting into trouble.

Stuart

Any improved AF systems??:D 1D performance would be nice!!:p

They have added a new focus tracking system which is better for moving subjects yes.

They have increased the frames per second aswell.

Stuart

any of this wrong & if so what/which?

"Specifications DSLR’s:

Alpha 500
12 Mp EXMOR R CMOS sensor
New Quick AF Live View
5 Fps

Vertical Control Grip / Sony VG-C50AM

Alpha 550
14.2 Mp EXMOR R CMOS sensor
New Quick AF Live View
7 Fps
Sony VG-C50AM

Vertical Control Grip / Sony VG-C50AM

Alpha 850
24.6 Mp Full Frame EXMOR CMOS Sensor ( A900 )
98 % Viewfinder
3 Fps

No HD Video!!!!!

Lenses:
SAL 28-75 mm f/2.8 SAM
SAL 30 mm f/2.8 Macro SAM

SAL 500 mm f/4.0 G SSM

Flash:
Sony HVL-F40AM"

There is not much that needs changing.

One thing that you will all like is the auto HDR mode. Similiar to what Pentax have on the K7 but instead of needing a tripod the 3 images can be taken handheld and rather than waiting 12 seconds like on the K7 the new alphas can do it in 2. Was very impressed with the shots that i saw taken in this mode.

Stuart

How long do we have to wait until we can find out?

Also is the A850 going to be approx £1000 as i need to know urgently so i dont buy something else?

the SRP will be near to what the A900 is currently selling for. I would expect to see a street price of £1600-£1700

You will have all the info tomorrow.

They have just tried to find ways to make a more affordable full frame camera

The price is only a guess. Until we get cost pricing i cant be 100% sure.

Stuart

Everything will be officially announced tomorrow but i think they are some good additions to the sony range.

the problem with that is that I can buy an A900 for under £1700 from an UK official dealer so for only ~£100 more ...

Mind you I'm not buying an A850/A900, A550 may be of interest though.

The A900 at £1700 is tremendous value.

So even £200 off the A900 price isn't amazing - if you lose that amazing A900 viewfinder it would be false economy I reckon.

you only lose 2% so it should still be pretty good. The 2fps loss would be of more concern to me for my needs but I'm not the target market for these.

its not just the 2% its the quality of the viewfinder. This is one of the areas that they have cutback as the viewfinder on the A900 is expensive to manufacturer and install.

its not just the 2% its the quality of the viewfinder. This is one of the areas that they have cutback as the viewfinder on the A900 is expensive to manufacturer and install.

The A900 viewfinder is the best in the business. Lovely.

What time today will we know? Looked on Sony website and it does show the new models on the homepage but when you click more info it just takes you to the current line up?

Thats £1236.09 , not a load cheaper than A900 at £1600 , and you get that lovely big viewfinder on the A900.

If its priced at that i will buy A900 instead.

It would have to be £1000 or less to tempt me

I'm really quite temped to get another A900 again... bit of a strange move... the A900 is cheaper than the D700 and the Canon 5D MKII already. Odd.

It would have to be £1000 or less to tempt me

I might get some interest up at £1200 but I'd pay £200 more for the A900 VF no problem.

remember that after ~3 months street prices will be ~25% lower than SRP.
& as Digital Depot mentioned there is plenty of A900 stock around at pre-increase prices atm (but that will eventually disappear, maybe sooner now that people have seen what the A850 is & how much).
I'm sure that the £1000 FF will come but not this year ...

Back