PhiltheJuggler's 52! - The '52 - Part 1 - weeks 1-27

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
Best of luck Phil will look back after you find some inspiration (y)

Thanks guys - watch this space!

Phil

Ok here goes. Got my new 400L today (thanks Kerso!) and decided to go to Pitsford to snap a few birdies. The lake was mostly frozen and I was mostly practicing birds in flight.

It occurred to me that their wings produce beautiful curves in flight and decided I liked the image below with the curved wings in the foreground juxtaposed with the opposite curve in the background.

50D, 400mm f/5.6 L, ISO 400, f/7.1, 1/800s handheld. (+2/3 EC on metering, Servo focus)

Larger image here

p250270350-4.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely focus on the gull's eye. Shame the wings of the 2nd bird have hit the top of the shot, but I've tried taking pictures of birdies and it's so hard. Love the shot all the same, nice one ;)

Lovely focus on the gull's eye. Shame the wings of the 2nd bird have hit the top of the shot, but I've tried taking pictures of birdies and it's so hard. Love the shot all the same, nice one ;)

Thanks! I think I'm going to enjoy both the 52 & the new lens!

Phil

Oooh good idea. As above, shame about the clipped wing but a good start. Have fun with that new lens and good luck with the rest of the 52.

I think I'm going to love your new lens too :) Very nice start to your 52 matey (y) I was going to put a Blackbird shot in for mine but I have other plans now.

Hi Phil,

I'm always so impressed by the bird shots on this forum, and that one's no exception.
I'd be incredibly happy to achieve something like that :)

Lovely interpretation of curved and a beautiful shot. It really is worth viewing this larger and on black.
Agree about the clipped wing, but TBH if I hadn't read the other comments I probably wouldn't have noticed it.

Thank you so much for all the wonderful comments! I can't wait for the next theme!!

The Winter Tree

I stand alone,
My arms reach out, but my veins fail to draw in warmth
I stand alone, naked.

p911671040-4.jpg

Larger image here

Last edited:
So, the blurb.

Week 2 was hard! Hard subject for me to think round & on top of that I was away on business all week with little time for photos!

Anyhow, I went walking today, saw this tree & decided & I would photographic it and write a poem about it.

I used a 400mm lens to make it as 2D as possible on my 50D body, 1/2000 @ f/5.6, ISO 800 (supported on a monopod). I cropped, converted to cyanotype (to give a colder feel) and boosted the blacks in lightroom. A post-crop vignette was added.

The poem came from the loneliness of the solitary tree and the way the branches look like veins. I imagined the tree was like a lonely soul failing to draw in warmth from companions.

Hope you like it,

Phil

lovely photo mate, the coldness of the photo work's really well with them poem :)

lovely photo mate, the coldness of the photo work's really well with them poem :)

Many thanks - a tough week but I enjoyed the challenge!

Phil

Thanks guys! Much appreciated!

Phil

Really like it mate.
The part about the 'veins' in the poem, really goes well with the spindly branches steming out of the tree.
Lovely colour of sky in the background also.
A strong submission for this week (y)

Hi Phil - just catching up. :)

Week 1: Well spotted and well-captured. It looks like we'll all be enjoying your new lens with images like this. :)

Week 2: You've matched poem to image beautifully. I love the way the post processing emphasises the coldness and loneliness of the dormant tree. An excellent picture with just one tiny niggle for me - your copyright is doing battle with the hedge/fence at the bottom of the picture - but it's not enough to detract from the overall picture. :clap:

Jean

Again - thanks to all for the comments - I only hope I can come up with something decent this week!

Very good on both shots Phil... Love the curved wings in the first shot, and the tree really suits the poem well (y)

That is quite simply a beautiful shot Phil. :love:
The PP complements it perfectly and thank you for sharing how you did it.

I love the pure, simplicity of it and it's beautifully composed. Makes me want get up and do more outdoors photography.

And well done for writing your own words to go with it.

love that!.. have to agree the PP works extremely well.. and you wrote the poem?.. blimey!.. spot on :)

Love your Curved...such a graceful shot and for me the clipped wing is barely noticeable! Very nice

Your self penned poem is lovely and complements and is complemented by the starl image you've shot! Nice coupling! :clap:

Gosh - fantastic comments - thanks so much!

I really hope I can come up with something decent for chopped!

Phil

#1 is a great capture. Like you sat, the two opposing curves work well and it was the first thing that hit me when I saw the image.

Your poetry shot is amazing. Great capture and great conversion. One tiny niggle would be to crop out the power lines and take (for me) something from the "old-ness" of the picture.

Good luck with Chopped!

Ian.

Week 3: Chopped.

A little gruesome this, I guess.

I took this photo at a local butchers, 5D, 24-105mm @ 105, f5.6, 1/200, ISO400, 580EX -2/3 EC.

I draw attention to the chopped pig's trotter I duplicated the layer in elements, cut out the trotter and desaturated it & enhanced the blacks, allowing the original trotter to come through.

Hope you like it....

Phil

Larger version on black here

p440797949-4.jpg

Last edited:
A nicely composed shot. I'm not sure about the colour of the trotter. It doesnt seem to fit in with the rest of the picture. Maybe that was your intention- you wanted it to stand out?

Exactly - I desaturated the rest of the shot. Thanks for your comment,

Phil

Like it Phil - just enough contrast between the trotter and the rest of the shot to make the difference.

I really like the colour and contrast in this. It's also bang on with the theme.

I like that Phil. The cleaver and the hands draw your eye enough to stop any back ground distraction.If you think you need to warn veggies off don't look at my take on chopped:LOL:

I like the contrast between the trotter and the rest - well thought out Phil. You can't beat a big meat cleaver for the chopped theme!

Nice week 1 and 2 shots. Especially liking the tree but please consider a smaller watermark :)

Week 3 - your processing has worked well to draw attention to the meat. Might have liked to see the chopper given the same treatment as well.

Back