PhiltheJuggler's 52! - The '52 - Part 1 - weeks 1-27

I think it works, Phil. no, I actually think it works GREAT. Selective colour is the obvious way to separate him from the background. You could have masked and blurred it out, but this has more impact. I agree with you that the strong HDR works well too. My favourite shot this week so far, mate.

Thank you so much - 'tis appreciated! Glad you like it...

:LOL:
:LOL:
Nice shot, is that Wayne Rooney?:LOL:

Yeah - there is a likeness! Sorry I mucked up your post by re-uploading the shot.

Like the HDR shot, makes the scene more grubby and lifelike.

Almost looks like the symbols at the top left have been added in pp.

Another HDR fan - cool! Yeah - those symbols look bizarre! No idea why...not fiddled with them!

Phil

OK - just updated the original with a slightly tweaked version - got rid of the odd blue colour on his trousers - I think it looks much better without that - reduces the overly 'false' look.

Phil

Phil,

I like selective colouring, but only when its done right.
The HDR on this shot really brings out the red, and I think it works a treat :)

Many thanks - I'm still an HDR newbie and try and use the effect sparingly but I felt it worked for this shot and I'm glad you agree!

Phil

I really like this one, Phil. I have never done an HDR but like the effect as long as it is not over done. I think it works really well. I see what you mean about the original - just too much red. I think the selective colouring that you have done works very well indeed.

And, it's bang on theme.

Jenny

Sorry I haven't commented for a couple of weeks - I've been computerless! :(

People: First of all, well done for looking for a different angle on this one. You've certainly come up trumps and I love everything about this (apart from your logo, but I've mentioned that before!) Cracking good shot in every way. (y)

Mechanical: HDR doesn't float my boat at all but on this one I eat my words. :eek: This is really eyecatching. I love all the dirty red and the fact that the background is b&w. The mechanic looks as though he's done a hard day's work and I like that, too! I've been trying to work out why this works for me, and I think it's because it's not the usual sort of HDR shot and is kind of unexpected in the context. Very creative. I could see this used as a poster to advertise a film about a garage! :)

Jean

Cool processing, and fits the theme very well! (y) (more so than mine anyway!)

Chris

dont usually like HDR, but could be converted now.. excellent interpretation of the theme.. the colours and detail are so vivid, works very well.. nice one ;)

I really like this one, Phil. I have never done an HDR but like the effect as long as it is not over done. I think it works really well. I see what you mean about the original - just too much red. I think the selective colouring that you have done works very well indeed.

And, it's bang on theme.

Jenny

Many thanks!

Woah ! Amazing processing !!

I like it lots :D

Glad you like it - I expected more people to dislike the processing!

Sorry I haven't commented for a couple of weeks - I've been computerless! :(

People: First of all, well done for looking for a different angle on this one. You've certainly come up trumps and I love everything about this (apart from your logo, but I've mentioned that before!) Cracking good shot in every way. (y)

Mechanical: HDR doesn't float my boat at all but on this one I eat my words. :eek: This is really eyecatching. I love all the dirty red and the fact that the background is b&w. The mechanic looks as though he's done a hard day's work and I like that, too! I've been trying to work out why this works for me, and I think it's because it's not the usual sort of HDR shot and is kind of unexpected in the context. Very creative. I could see this used as a poster to advertise a film about a garage! :)

Jean

Thanks on both - delighted I've done an HDR you can stomach!

Cool processing, and fits the theme very well! (y) (more so than mine anyway!)

Chris

Appreciate the comment!

dont usually like HDR, but could be converted now.. excellent interpretation of the theme.. the colours and detail are so vivid, works very well.. nice one ;)

Wow - thanks everyone - comments like this inspire me to try harder every week!

Phil

Hi Phil,

Missed people sorry, but that's a lovely crisp shot.
Lots to look at, and I'm completely fascinated by the different hands and poses.
I keep trying to read something about their owners from them.
It looks like it should be a page in a corporate magazine (y)

I'm not completely sure about mechanical. I love the concept, but for me both the saturation and HDR are a bit too much.
I want to like it - and there's definitely something very good there. I'd just like to see the HDR toned down a bit and some slight desaturation.

Week 9 - Play

A playful child plays the piano

Larger version here

Version 2:

p1054985419-4.jpg

Original Shot:

p269856249-4.jpg

Last edited:
Tried various shots for this week - I really liked the idea of play in the context of music as I love music, but also wanted to bring in the playfulness of a child.

I therefore posed a child's hands at the piano and lit them from above with a naked 430Ex II in slave mode and a softened 580ExII (Master) as a fill light mounted on my 5D, Sigma 50mm f1.4 @ f2.2, 1/200 (flash-sync), ISO100.

I then converted to Sepia and played around with the levels in Lightroom adding a subtle post-crop vignette to finish.

Hope you like it & thanks for looking,

Phil

Last edited:
It's a good image Phil. Focus is spot on and I like the way you've lit it. Only thing I'd like to see is the front of the jumper cropped out from the left as it's a little in the way.

It's a good image Phil. Focus is spot on and I like the way you've lit it. Only thing I'd like to see is the front of the jumper cropped out from the left as it's a little in the way.

Thanks for the comments! I did try a crop for that very reason but it made the left hand look disconnected. Perhaps I could fade it out with a graduated filter - I'll give it some thought...

Phil

Phil, I want to like this, but I'm finding the processing and the child incongruous, mate. For me the processing speaks of age and style, but the child needs colour and lightness.

Hmm, I'm with Dean here - love the composition but would have preferred a subdued colour or even a full bw to be honest.

Arthur

I'm with Darren on the jumper, but disagree about the Sepia toning. For me, the toning makes the shot warm and comfy.

I think your subject choice is lovely, and the lighting is great. Small fingers on those piano keys... Makes you wonder what they might be capable of in years to come.

Nice.

Ian.

Phil, I want to like this, but I'm finding the processing and the child incongruous, mate. For me the processing speaks of age and style, but the child needs colour and lightness.

Hmm, I'm with Dean here - love the composition but would have preferred a subdued colour or even a full bw to be honest.

Arthur

Thanks for your comments - I did a B&W conversion before the Sepia and felt the warmth of the sepia was preferable. I also tried colour & wasn't keen (although didn't try a de-sat.)

I'm with Darren on the jumper, but disagree about the Sepia toning. For me, the toning makes the shot warm and comfy.

I think your subject choice is lovely, and the lighting is great. Small fingers on those piano keys... Makes you wonder what they might be capable of in years to come.

Nice.

Ian.

Many thanks Ian - with your comments and Darren's in mind I have a version 2:

p1054985419-4.jpg

I did try a crop for that very reason but it made the left hand look disconnected. Perhaps I could fade it out with a graduated filter - I'll give it some thought...

Oooh. I see what you mean...

I have no idea now. I wonder if I'd have thought it was disjointed if you hadn't mentioned it...

I'm no help... Can't decide.

(Edit) Actually, coming back to look at it, I think the removal of the jumper is better.

Ian.

Oooh. I see what you mean...

I have no idea now. I wonder if I'd have thought it was disjointed if you hadn't mentioned it...

I'm no help... Can't decide.

(Edit) Actually, coming back to look at it, I think the removal of the jumper is better.

Ian.

I think it is better without the jumper - it was cropping it out that made it look disjointed as you lost the sleeve of her other hand. What I've done with version 2 is fade the jumper to black so it is not distracting!

Thanks

Phil

Much better without the jumper, you've made a good job of removing it. Much prefer the sepia colouring to the b&w though :)

Much better without the jumper, you've made a good job of removing it. Much prefer the sepia colouring to the b&w though :)

Many thanks - bit puzzled though as I've not posted a B&W versions!:shrug:

Phil

Many thanks - bit puzzled though as I've not posted a B&W versions!:shrug:

Phil

My head needs checking today. Could have sworn I saw a black & white image earlier. Must be my age :D

Works for me... and definitely better without the jumper! (y)

Why did you choose sepia processing though?

That took me a while to work out the difference :LOL:... It's a great shot, and works well, but defo better without the jumper.

Definitely the edited version minus jumper for me.
It may have been a bit fiddly, but it was well worth the effort.

The focus on the right hand is perfect and I love the angle and DoF in this one.
I also really like the sepia. I wish I could expand on that and tell you why, but I can't . . . I just like it :shrug:

It's a lovely heart-warming subject, and you've really done it justice. A very good week for you :clap:

Works for me... and definitely better without the jumper! (y)

Why did you choose sepia processing though?

Thanks. I chose sepia as the colour version detracted from mood IMO.

That took me a while to work out the difference :LOL:... It's a great shot, and works well, but defo better without the jumper.

Thanks!

I think the version 2 looks great :) nice focus.

The joys of a fast prime!

Definitely the edited version minus jumper for me.
It may have been a bit fiddly, but it was well worth the effort.

The focus on the right hand is perfect and I love the angle and DoF in this one.
I also really like the sepia. I wish I could expand on that and tell you why, but I can't . . . I just like it :shrug:

It's a lovely heart-warming subject, and you've really done it justice. A very good week for you :clap:

Thank you so much!

Phil

Week 10 - Chemistry

A triptych showing three stages of a chemical reaction.

Larger version here

Version 2:

p274181141-4.jpg

First attempt:

p781377770-4.jpg

Last edited:
I guess a number of people will have jumped for the chemical reaction of a match burning this week - will check other's posts shortly and find out!

I wanted to show the match beforehand, the explosive stage of the match lighting and finally the glow from the dying embers just before it extinguished. I like the way the wood of the match changes from white to brown to black.

I enjoyed learning how to make a triptych in Lightroom and testing out my new MP-E lens.

Details: 50D, MP-E 65mm at 1x mag. ISO 100, 1/60, f/11 with 430EXII flash gun off-camera.

Hope you like it & thanks again for looking!

Phil

I seem to remember only 3 or 4 match shots this week. All very good and yours is very much in that camp too. Action and detail are caught well and I like the framing. The first is a little bright, but that's just a little niggle. You've executed this nicely :clap:

Excellent Phil... good work on all three shots and the Triptych sets them off a treat. Clearly Chemistry in action, so on theme.

I seem to remember only 3 or 4 match shots this week. All very good and yours is very much in that camp too. Action and detail are caught well and I like the framing. The first is a little bright, but that's just a little niggle. You've executed this nicely :clap:

:agree: about the 1st one being a touch bright, but still a nicely taken triptych.

Cheers, Rob

Thanks both - on your advice I've darkened the first pic + added a grad filter to pull out some detail in the wood + increased saturation. I think it is better.

Very nice! I did have a quick go with matches but got nothing of this standard.....(y)

Many thanks - it really wasn't too difficult, but I think I was lucky that my guess at the correct exposure was pretty much bang on. I could easily have got through a lot of matches before getting the result!

Excellent Phil... good work on all three shots and the Triptych sets them off a treat. Clearly Chemistry in action, so on theme.

Many thanks - quite pleased with my first ever triptych!

Phil

Reprocess on the first match is much better. Nicely done (y)

Edited version is much better, but TBH even the original was good IMO.
This may not be a unique interpretation for the week, but it doesn't take away from how well it's worked. In fact this is one of my favourites out of your 52.

The triptych sets it off brilliantly and each one of the shots is well executed and sharp.

I like this a lot.

Reprocess on the first match is much better. Nicely done (y)

Glad you like it - thanks for the observation!

Edited version is much better, but TBH even the original was good IMO.
This may not be a unique interpretation for the week, but it doesn't take away from how well it's worked. In fact this is one of my favourites out of your 52.

The triptych sets it off brilliantly and each one of the shots is well executed and sharp.

I like this a lot.

Thank you so much, Sarah. I've tried hard to think out of the box with the '52 so far and I was a little disappointed nothing particularly original came to me this week. I am really pleased you feel that it was executed well enough to make it compare favourably with the rest of the '52!

Right - now I've got some time so I can enjoy the other looking at & commenting on the other '52's for this week...

Phil

Play: What a lovely idea - it's fascinating watching a young child starting to learn to play the piano, and I can still remember the thrill of my hands growing large enough to stretch a full octave! So with that trip down memory lane, for the the sepia treatment is great, and I definitely prefer the edited-out jumper version. :)

Chemistry: One of the good things about the 52 is that you have to try new things and we've both scored a first with a tryptych this week. :)

I prefer the version with the unlit match less exposed, and it's mean of me to have a niggle on your first tryptych, but it is only very, very tiny - it would have been nice to have just a touch more of the wooden part of the matches showing to emphasise the changes taking place in the wood. But It's a good take on the theme and you've done it justice. (y)

Jean

Back