PhiltheJuggler's 52! - The '52 - Part 1 - weeks 1-27

ha ha great capture, a mental springer..... (there is no sane one) they seem to have 2 speeds, sleep or full on wappy!

If I am going to be picky, it appears to be missing a leg (Yeah I know where it is before anyone wants to correct me!)

So is it a tryptopod, or a tripoddog......:LOL:

ha ha great capture, a mental springer..... (there is no sane one) they seem to have 2 speeds, sleep or full on wappy!

If I am going to be picky, it appears to be missing a leg (Yeah I know where it is before anyone wants to correct me!)

So is it a tryptopod, or a tripoddog......:LOL:

What a fantastic photo. I have never mastered taking pictures of moving animals. This is so sharp considering how fast it seems to be moving. Very well done with this one and fits the theme perfectly.

Jenny

Many thanks guys - I was really pleased to freeze him in motion!

The shot is also part of a funny sequence here!

Phil

Official week 13 shot is QUAD here, but thought I'd add a reshoot for luck!

Thought I'd add a candid shot for a reshoot of 'chopped'. I'm not adding this to my main gallery, but I somehow felt obliged to meet all the criteria of the '52!!!

This is a wood sculptor who uses a chainsaw for her work. She is currently carving a bench out of oak at Sywell reservoir in Northants.

Canon 1DMKIII, 135L, f2.2, 1/1600s @ ISO200.

Phil

Last edited:
Nice shot. I love the way the wood chips are shown so clearly. Shame she's not wearing the correct PPE.

Love the quad theme, great piccy clear and just so full of fun. They are just so funny springers. :)

That's a cracking shot for Quad Phil... love it... great expression and so sharp and clear too.

A good combo for candid and chopped to :D...

Ah so that's how you managed candid with such a large amount of kit :D...

Quad is just brilliant - the best I've seen so far. :clap::clap::clap:

I'm sure you could sell it to a dog-food or vit pill manufacturer :D

Nice shot. I love the way the wood chips are shown so clearly. Shame she's not wearing the correct PPE.

Love the quad theme, great piccy clear and just so full of fun. They are just so funny springers. :)

Don't you just love the expression on the dogs face (y)

Allan

That's a cracking shot for Quad Phil... love it... great expression and so sharp and clear too.

A good combo for candid and chopped to :D...

Ah so that's how you managed candid with such a large amount of kit :D...

Quad is just brilliant - the best I've seen so far. :clap::clap::clap:

I'm sure you could sell it to a dog-food or vit pill manufacturer :D

Many thanks all for the wonderful comments - they keep me enthused!!

Phil

Week 14 - Shoot

A boy in the park takes a shot at goal.

Larger version here

p593458409-4.jpg

Week 14 - I toyed with various ideas (please see daft outtake below!) but decided this was my best shot. I took lots of photos of some boys playing in the park from different angles (with parent's permission I might add) but liked the view through the goal. I desaturated and added quite a lot of contrast in lightroom as I thought the shot benefitted from that character.

I was pleased that I managed to keep the focus on the boy shooting despite the net occassionally appealing to the camera's AF system!

Canon 1D MKiii, 200mm f2.8 L @ f/4, 1/1000, ISO 400 with some flash from the 580EX as a fill (-2/3 EC I think).

Phil.

Daft outtake:

p571668224-3.jpg

Shoot submission updated with some tweaks! Happy now...

Phil

Goodness - no comments at all on this week's effort! Have I let my standards slip??!! :(

Goodness - no comments at all on this week's effort! Have I let my standards slip??!! :(

Not at all Phil.

I've only just managed to get 20mins to update mine entry this week. Getting around to commenting is another thing - so many threads so little time.

Shoot is terrific - nicely framed with the goalies head and the net and the expression on the strikers face is superb - just hope he scored!

Was Shoot written on the ball or did you add if afterwards?

The outtake shot is fun - another great expression.

Not at all Phil.

I've only just managed to get 20mins to update mine entry this week. Getting around to commenting is another thing - so many threads so little time.

Shoot is terrific - nicely framed with the goalies head and the net and the expression on the strikers face is superb - just hope he scored!

Was Shoot written on the ball or did you add if afterwards?

The outtake shot is fun - another great expression.

Hiya - many thanks for the comments!

I was lucky to get a shot with the ball rotated the right way round to see the word 'shoot' - I don't think my PP skills are up to writing it on realistically!

Phil

the springer shot is fantastic, really caught the character of it..

like the football shot - am struggling with this theme.. would never have thought of that but its so obvious!.. great focus and DOF and having 'shoot' on the ball just adds to it all..

like the outtake, poor thing looks happy even with a gun to its head!

Definitely not, Phil. I have not had much time to comment at all this week.

I love the football shot. It is soooo clever - the action, the expression on his face, the oof goaly and the Shoot on the ball. And, an excellent take on the theme.

Well done. :clap::clap::clap:

Jenny

Cracking shot Phil, on theme on many levels.
I like the composition and capture of the word shoot on the ball.
That lad is giving it his all in that shot, especially wearing wellies to play football:D Did his wellie come winging off after kicking the ball so hard?:D
Well done Phil.(y)

Great action shot - brilliant timing on the ball and you have caught a wonderful expression.

great shot (photo that is)
very cool expression, funny the fact hes wearing wellies and putting SO much effort into kicking those light weight balls that fly away when the wind blows, very cool.

Brilliant :D

The lads expression is classic, it's a great composition and I think the keeper works well in the frame.

I'd planned on doing somethig similar but the kids are with their Dad this weekend, my fife refused to come and play football in the park with me :(

the springer shot is fantastic, really caught the character of it..

like the football shot - am struggling with this theme.. would never have thought of that but its so obvious!.. great focus and DOF and having 'shoot' on the ball just adds to it all..

like the outtake, poor thing looks happy even with a gun to its head!

Many thanks! The bouncy horse is now in therapy, but needs must!

Definitely not, Phil. I have not had much time to comment at all this week.

I love the football shot. It is soooo clever - the action, the expression on his face, the oof goaly and the Shoot on the ball. And, an excellent take on the theme.

Well done. :clap::clap::clap:

Jenny

Thanks Jenny - glad you like it!

Cracking shot Phil, on theme on many levels.
I like the composition and capture of the word shoot on the ball.
That lad is giving it his all in that shot, especially wearing wellies to play football:D Did his wellie come winging off after kicking the ball so hard?:D
Well done Phil.(y)

No - managed to hang on to wellie - not the best choice for football you'd have thought!

Great action shot - brilliant timing on the ball and you have caught a wonderful expression.

Thank you! I was lucky to get the ball rotated that way round!

The lad kicking the ball is ace, great expression and stance.
I don't think the lad in goal needs to be there at all, the kicker is what the shot is about.
The net and ball make it an even stronger image telling a good story.

Allan

Thanks, Allan - I wasn't sure whether I preferred the shots I got with or without the goalie. I think the implied triangle made by the ball and the two heads may help the composition.

great shot (photo that is)
very cool expression, funny the fact hes wearing wellies and putting SO much effort into kicking those light weight balls that fly away when the wind blows, very cool.

Brilliant :D

The lads expression is classic, it's a great composition and I think the keeper works well in the frame.

I'd planned on doing somethig similar but the kids are with their Dad this weekend, my fife refused to come and play football in the park with me :(

Many thanks both & good luck with an alternative subject!

Phil

Wonderful bit of timing on the football Phil, the expression is superb. Did it go in ??

The outtake made me chuckle :D...

No . . . you were just too quick off the mark with it!
Didn't get mine in until Sunday night and am only just catching up with the (several million) others !!!! :LOL:

I admit to missing your quad though . . . and that was a great shot.
I'm a softie for dog shots anyway, but this one is really very good.
It's rare to see a shot of a dog in action with the focus so well done. Love the bit of reflection in the background too.

Shoot's another that's worked very well. I don't know how you got the ball so sharp, but you definitely pulled it off and I love the way that you got the word "shoot" in focus.
You've also chosen a good viewpoint from behind the goal.

p.s. Glad that you included the daft outtake - made me smile :D

Last edited:
Brilliant take on the theme Phil.

As the others have already said the "shoot" on the ball and the expression on the lads face is superb.

Very impressive (y)

Andy

Wonderful bit of timing on the football Phil, the expression is superb. Did it go in ??

The outtake made me chuckle :D...

It did go in! Thanks for the comment!

No . . . you were just too quick off the mark with it!
Didn't get mine in until Sunday night and am only just catching up with the (several million) others !!!! :LOL:

I admit to missing your quad though . . . and that was a great shot.
I'm a softie for dog shots anyway, but this one is really very good.
It's rare to see a shot of a dog in action with the focus so well done. Love the bit of reflection in the background too.

Shoot's another that's worked very well. I don't know how you got the ball so sharp, but you definitely pulled it off and I love the way that you got the word "shoot" in focus.
You've also chosen a good viewpoint from behind the goal.

p.s. Glad that you included the daft outtake - made me smile :D

Thanks for all your detailed comments - much appreciated!

Brilliant take on the theme Phil.

As the others have already said the "shoot" on the ball and the expression on the lads face is superb.

Very impressive (y)

Andy

Great! Thanks so much for the compliments!

Phil

Hi Phil,

Catching up...

Produce: Nice lines and symmetry. I'm wondering whether a bit more DoF might isolate your subject a bit more and allow the background (a bit busy) and foreground (lots of oranges) to become a bit less distracting? Minor points though!

Quad: Love it. Happy wet dog. Nice composition and well captured.

Shoot: Another great capture. Spot on timing and the expression is lovely. Another really minor point is that the net is obscuring the face a little. Given the circumstances though, it would be churlish to demand a reshoot :). I think the net works well to give that "behind the goal" impression, it's just a shame the strings fall across his face.

Nice work!

Ian.

Hi Phil,

Catching up...

Produce: Nice lines and symmetry. I'm wondering whether a bit more DoF might isolate your subject a bit more and allow the background (a bit busy) and foreground (lots of oranges) to become a bit less distracting? Minor points though!

Quad: Love it. Happy wet dog. Nice composition and well captured.

Shoot: Another great capture. Spot on timing and the expression is lovely. Another really minor point is that the net is obscuring the face a little. Given the circumstances though, it would be churlish to demand a reshoot :). I think the net works well to give that "behind the goal" impression, it's just a shame the strings fall across his face.

Nice work!

Ian.

Many thanks, Ian!

Week 15 - Single - Version 1 - see post 283 for de-wonked version!

A quality single malt whisky!

p14972018-4.jpg

Last edited:
Week 15 - Perhaps not the most original idea, but a great excuse to indulge in another passion of mine - Single Malt Whisky!

This was a hard shot to take, trying to avoid reflections and make everything look straight. It's not 100% but I got the overall look I was aiming for.

Details: 580EXII on camera & 430EXII off camera into a silver brolley set at ratio of 1:8. Camera was 5D, 28mm f/1.8 mounted & set @ f/4, 1/200 sec.

For those interested, the little hat on the glass is to stop the whisky oxidising between sips!

Hope you like it,

Phil

Really well shot Phil. I'm sure it is straight, the glas sure is, but the bottle on the left hand end looks wonky... The little hat just tops things off... does it oxidise that fast ?

NICE! and the little hat, a very professional whisky drinker ;)

Many thanks - I take drinking whisky seriously!!!

Really well shot Phil. I'm sure it is straight, the glas sure is, but the bottle on the left hand end looks wonky... The little hat just tops things off... does it oxidise that fast ?

Thanks for the compliment - the lighting was hard to get right & even then it needed some gentle PP work to get the best out of the shot. I'm not sure why the bottle on the left looks a little wonky - it must have been my camera positioning.

I tend to pour a large whisky and sip it over an hour or so - the little hats help for that!

Phil

Last edited:
Beautiful warm colours in that Phil and the lighting & reflections have worked brilliantly :clap:

As has already been said, that left bottle does look a little wonky but the glass is perfectly straight so I think you've gone with the best compromise.
Maybe a tiny crop from the left would minimise the angle on the bottle :thinking:

It's a very clean, crisp looking shot - definitely got that "magazine ad" feel to it.

Nice one, Phil. Fits the theme perfectly. I love the little hat.

I have just started to learn about single malts and they have become a bit of a family passion. I would love to know where you got the little hat. They would make great Christmas presents for the men in my life!

I agree with the others about the magazine ad feel.

Jenny

Sorry I missed out on Week 14, Phil. Sometimes it's hard to get round, and sometimes it just seems impossible!

I think Shoot is a cracking shot! Everything came together perfectly. One-nil to you, for sure. (y)

Week 15 - Perhaps not the most original idea, but a great excuse to indulge in another passion of mine - Single Malt Whisky!

This was a hard shot to take, trying to avoid reflections and make everything look straight. It's not 100% but I got the overall look I was aiming for.

Details: 580EXII on camera & 430EXII off camera into a silver brolley set at ratio of 1:8. Camera was 5D, 28mm f/1.8 mounted & set @ f/4, 1/200 sec.

For those interested, the little hat on the glass is to stop the whisky oxidising between sips!

Hope you like it,

Phil

I agree with the magazine comments. My only suggestion would be to have a little more separation between the glass and the bottles, so that the bottle immediately behind the glass is more oof, to give the eye time to take in the details of the interesting shape of the glass and the novelty of its little hat, before travelling round the three bottles. I hope that makes sense. (y)

Jean

I also admire your ability to make even a large single malt last for an hour! :LOL:

Back