PhiltheJuggler's 52! - The '52 - Part 1 - weeks 1-27

Quad - Another fantastic poochie shot, well caught!

Shoot - The positioning of the ball with the writing is just too good, fits the theme perfectly.

Single - The composition and lighting make this a really good shot. I think we are all alchoholic dog lovers...well most of us Nick;)

Sorry I missed out on Week 14, Phil. Sometimes it's hard to get round, and sometimes it just seems impossible!

I think Shoot is a cracking shot! Everything came together perfectly. One-nil to you, for sure. (y)

I agree with the magazine comments. My only suggestion would be to have a little more separation between the glass and the bottles, so that the bottle immediately behind the glass is more oof, to give the eye time to take in the details of the interesting shape of the glass and the novelty of its little hat, before travelling round the three bottles. I hope that makes sense. (y)

Jean

I also admire your ability to make even a large single malt last for an hour! :LOL:

Many thanks - I did consider an even shallower depth of field - was concerned that the Ardbeg words would be too obscured on the bottles to make the link with the glass in the foreground.

A very nice whiskey shot. Lit well, with some good detail and DoF (y)

Thank you!

Quad - Another fantastic poochie shot, well caught!

Shoot - The positioning of the ball with the writing is just too good, fits the theme perfectly.

Single - The composition and lighting make this a really good shot. I think we are all alchoholic dog lovers...well most of us Nick;)

Many thanks - not got a dog personally, but always please to interact with them!

Phil

As I said initially - the wonky bottle on the left was annoying - here is version 2!:

Week 15 - Single - version 2!

A quality single malt whisky!

Larger version here

p557014863-4.jpg

Hells teath there are a lot of whiskey drinkers in here :D

Like this, the colours and tones are near perfect, wonderful DOF and great lighting.

Lovely shot Phil. Lovely rich colour in the liquid. Methinks there maybe a few more 'Single Malt' shots to look through.

Great looking shot. With the DOF you've picked it looks like a promotional shot. Where would one find said 'little hat'?

Nice!......I like the fact that the glass has the brand logo on it as well as the bottles otherwise you would have been better off making the dof deeper so it was sharper on the bottles too...sorry that was a bit of a wibble :D what I'm trying to say is you have obtained very good focus for this shot as is :LOL: ......and I'm not going to ask why you have 3 bottles......... ;)

For those interested, the little hat on the glass is to stop the whisky oxidising between sips!

Oh dear... How sad...

Anyway... I think the composition and lighting are really very well done. Excellent in fact. The row of bottles, the glass. All shows thought and effort going into the shot, and a very good result.

Very nice indeed.

Ian.

Hells teath there are a lot of whiskey drinkers in here :D

Like this, the colours and tones are near perfect, wonderful DOF and great lighting.

Thank you - it was a bit of a fiddle trying to get the composition, lighting and colours and lighting all working!

Lovely shot Phil. Lovely rich colour in the liquid. Methinks there maybe a few more 'Single Malt' shots to look through.

Yeah - a bit obvious a guess, but for a keen whisky drinker like me it was a must-do!

Great looking shot. With the DOF you've picked it looks like a promotional shot. Where would one find said 'little hat'?

Thanks! Maybe I should send to Ardbeg and see if they'll buy it!

Nice!......I like the fact that the glass has the brand logo on it as well as the bottles otherwise you would have been better off making the dof deeper so it was sharper on the bottles too...sorry that was a bit of a wibble :D what I'm trying to say is you have obtained very good focus for this shot as is :LOL: ......and I'm not going to ask why you have 3 bottles......... ;)

I'll answer about the bottles - I normally have 10-15 different whiskies in my cabinet & I pick one to fit my mood. I happen to have four bottles of Ardbeg at the moment as I was (oddly) bought three bottles of it at Christmas!

Oh dear... How sad...

Anyway... I think the composition and lighting are really very well done. Excellent in fact. The row of bottles, the glass. All shows thought and effort going into the shot, and a very good result.

Very nice indeed.

Ian.

Many thanks - I'm glad the thought and effort was worth it!

Phil

Nice composition and lighting. I have never seen a little hat like that before. Of course you only bought all those bottles for the sake of art...

Nice composition and lighting. I have never seen a little hat like that before. Of course you only bought all those bottles for the sake of art...

One always has to suffer for one's art! :beer:

Week 16 - Stare

A street portrait

Version 2:

Larger version here

p584295897-4.jpg

Larger version here

p10451650-4.jpg

Last edited:
Week 16 - I had a few ideas here. I spent some time today taking lots of portraits of strangers in Manchester. I also took some shots of couples snogging (thought I could go with - 'It's rude to stare' theme, but I wasn't happy with the composition (as they were a little snatched to try and stay discrete).

I asked three people to specifically pose for 'Stare'. This was my favourite, although I was happy with the other two and they'll be posted in a gallery on my website soon.

Canon 1Ds MKii, 200mm f/2.8L, 580EXII, 1/320sec, f/2.8, FEC -2/3

Hope you like it,

Phil

Last edited:
that is great, I wish i had the comfort of just snapping people in the street. I don't mind if i know the people but strangers.

Keep it up thats cool

Very good! Wonderfully nice eye detail.
- ,that reminds me, the guy I always thought had an awesome stare was SHADOW from the Gladiators!
link here for those who dont know ;)

great portrait Phil and an incredible stare, the white's of his eyes are amazing.

that is great, I wish i had the comfort of just snapping people in the street. I don't mind if i know the people but strangers.

Keep it up thats cool

Many thanks guys! I really liked the intensity of the eyes and the texture of the leather.

As for asking strangers - in this case he asked for his picture to be taken and I said 'only if you do a moody stare!'. I think carrying round a large camera camera can be useful in some situations - must have taken 3 or 4 people yesterday who approached me.

Phil

That's a belter Phil. Top drawer portrait. Nuff said.

As for asking strangers - in this case he asked for his picture to be taken and I said 'only if you do a moody stare!'. I think carrying round a large camera camera can be useful in some situations - must have taken 3 or 4 people yesterday who approached me.

Wow. I'm very surprised by that. Do you offer to send them a pic or something?

Ian.

That is absolutely stunning, Phil - fantastic lighting and textures.

The eyes are really dramatic. In the days of the wet darkroom there was a way of using Farmer's Reducer to lighten the whites a little, but I never tried it.

:clap::clap::clap:

Wow - thanks - your two comments just made my day!

That's a belter Phil. Top drawer portrait. Nuff said.

Wow. I'm very surprised by that. Do you offer to send them a pic or something?

Ian.

Glad you like it - in his case I gave him my web-site address.

That is absolutely stunning, Phil - fantastic lighting and textures.

The eyes are really dramatic. In the days of the wet darkroom there was a way of using Farmer's Reducer to lighten the whites a little, but I never tried it.

:clap::clap::clap:

Cheers - Tracer - much appreciated!

Phil, I love your stare shot. Defo my favourite of the week so far, mate.

Stunning Phil.

I love this shot. The pose and lighting is great. Really shouts "stare"

I can't imagine being in a street and having strangers coming up and asking for a photo to be taken. Were you taking others first that you had already approached ?

I've just tried looking at the link for the whisky hat and my works internet has banned the site :LOL:

Andy

Phil, I love your stare shot. Defo my favourite of the week so far, mate.

Fantastic - thanks for the compliment!

I think we have a winner.....what a really great portrait! I'm sure your model will be just as chuffed as you should be.

He's got my web address so hopefully he'll see it! Many thanks!

A definite winner this week, Phil. It is an amazing shot. I can quite categorically say that I will never be able to take a shot as good as that.

It shouts out "stare". Perfect :clap::clap::clap:

Jenny

Jenny - thanks for the compliment, but having seen your work I have every confidence you could've taken this shot & better!

Stunning Phil.

I love this shot. The pose and lighting is great. Really shouts "stare"

I can't imagine being in a street and having strangers coming up and asking for a photo to be taken. Were you taking others first that you had already approached ?

I've just tried looking at the link for the whisky hat and my works internet has banned the site :LOL:

Andy

Thanks for your comments! He had not seen me take photos of others - I'd simply walked past with a slightly imposing camera!

Phil

Plenty of attitude coming across in the stare Phil. A really good street portrait. This might not sound quite right, but I wish I had your balls :)

Plenty of attitude coming across in the stare Phil. A really good street portrait. This might not sound quite right, but I wish I had your balls :)

An excellent stare shot. Beats mine hands down. Well done.

Thanks guys - really pleased with the response to this one!

Phil

Great shot of stare, really nice shot. Lighting is perfect and goes without saying for you (y)

Really moody shot and, as said before, I just couldn't ask random strangers to take photos, you must have some minimals...

I am new to the whole '52' thing so have loads of photos to look through but just wanted to comment on yours as they are amazing! :clap:

I especially like Poetry, Street, Candid and Quad. If I ever take a photo half as good as Stare I'll be a very happy lady!! :)

Great shot of stare, really nice shot. Lighting is perfect and goes without saying for you (y)

Really moody shot and, as said before, I just couldn't ask random strangers to take photos, you must have some minimals...

No idea what minimals are, but thanks for the compliment!

I am new to the whole '52' thing so have loads of photos to look through but just wanted to comment on yours as they are amazing! :clap:

I especially like Poetry, Street, Candid and Quad. If I ever take a photo half as good as Stare I'll be a very happy lady!! :)

Many thanks for the comments - I'm sure you'll be able to get similar shots if you pursue your craft!

Cracking shot Phil. The B&W conversion really suits it.

Thanks! It was ok in colour but I took the shot planning a B&W conversions.

Thanks guys - really pleased with the response to this one!

Phil

So you should be. Superb shot this week :clap:

The dark jacket, dark skin tone and shadow from his hood make those eyes positively jump out of the image.
There can be no doubt at all about this one being all about the eyes and the stare.
Definitely my favourite from this week's theme so far (and I'm the one who hates portraits and street photography)

The only thing that distracts from the eyes in any way is that glint of white on his LHS. Not sure if it's an earring or if he's wearing headphones or something ???? Could you remove that / tone it down or does that go completely against the ethos of street photography? :D

Really like that Phil.

Think the leather jacket works reallynice bouncing a bit of the light and the eyes are really sharp.

Well done

Really like that Phil.

Think the leather jacket works reallynice bouncing a bit of the light and the eyes are really sharp.

Well done

Many thanks, Dan!

So you should be. Superb shot this week :clap:

The dark jacket, dark skin tone and shadow from his hood make those eyes positively jump out of the image.
There can be no doubt at all about this one being all about the eyes and the stare.
Definitely my favourite from this week's theme so far (and I'm the one who hates portraits and street photography)

The only thing that distracts from the eyes in any way is that glint of white on his LHS. Not sure if it's an earring or if he's wearing headphones or something ???? Could you remove that / tone it down or does that go completely against the ethos of street photography? :D

Thanks for your comment, Sarah. I agree about the highlight & have updated the original post with a second version - any better?

Thanks

Phil

spot on, moody stare... well done Phil (y)

Back