Light seals and camera tests

Ambermile

A Whole Lot of Sparkle..
Name
Arthur
Edit My Images
No
So, the fun for today then was to sort the light seals on the X-700 since the last time it was used it was clear that there was a bit of a leak. Simples... got some jute from the shed, cut to length, bit of paper glue and that's the door done. Add some sticky-back neoprene to cover the hinge area and we're sorted.

x-700-light.jpg

On to testing... got rather a lot of Kodacolour Gold ISO200 that went ood 2004-2007 so decided on a camera test in spades - one roll, four cameras! I needed to test them anyway so decided today was the day. There's the Minolta X-700, the Fujica 35-EE, the Konica C35-EF and the Konica Autorex. Quick point on the Autorex - many will know I have been chasing one for some time now, managed to find one I could afford that needed some TLC big time... it arrived, I *finally* got the shutter firing on time, got the meter working and generally tidied it up. There is still no base plate unfortunately and this design of camera leaves the bottom of the shutter pretty much open so I have had to get by with a shaped piece of cf covered card stuck on... whatever, seems to work and it's weird seeing half and full frames on the same roll of film!

The Accused then:

4-cams.jpg

Film is run, cooked, washed and on the driers now so should be able to post comparisons later but things looking pretty good actually. It will be interesting to see how the four sets of camera/optics deal with the same situations, same day, *same film* - clearly any colour variance will be purely down to the optics. I have to say also that apart from the Autorex, I used the cameras' own metering systems to set apertures and shutters... because the Autorex has no base I cannot keep the battery in place so sunny 16 it was :D

Will post the results later once the film has dried and been scanned.

Looks good, and when anyone asks you can tell them it's the more expensive green stripe version ;)

I use the interslice chap on eBay for foam replacement. Jute looks a little hairy but it seems to work.

was that the X700 that needed the capacitors replacing ?

Yup - turned out OK in the end, pics on the way :D

Jute looks a little hairy but it seems to work.

Hence the paper glue... gets the hairs all down - was either that or Brylcreme :LOL: Actually not my idea, I've seen it on several Zenits (wouldn't you know) but they used yellow and blue whereas I only had green!

Autorex, full frame, clearly needs light seals doing or maybe those shutter blades underneath are responsible. Just have to find a new baseplate and see!

Autorex.jpg

Konica C35-EE, surprisingly nice little camera.

C35-EF.jpg

Fujica 35-EE, not bad, meter's a bit off, first on the roll's my excuse!

EE-35.jpg

Minolta X-700, looks like the leaks are not sorted!

X-700.jpg

The rest then, same order as above (Autorex (note switching from full to half frame has it's issues :D), Konica, Fujica, Minolta)

Autorex3.jpg

C35-EF3.jpg

EE-353.jpg

X-7003.jpg

(Autorex, Konica, Fujica, Minolta)

Autorex2.jpg

C35-EF2.jpg

EE-352.jpg

X-7002.jpg

(Autorex, Konica, Fujica, Minolta)

Autorex1.jpg

C35-EF1.jpg

EE-351.jpg

X-7001.jpg

Some of the Autorex half-frame images, same relative size as those above...

half.jpg

half1.jpg

half2.jpg

half3.jpg

half4.jpg

half5.jpg

Y'know... I am beginning to have my suspicions about that bloody scanner looking at these...

Stylistically, loving the overall look. From a pure image representation standpoint, the Konica looks to be a cracking little camera.

Doesn't your dog ever get bored of being test shot material?

Have to agree Nick, that and the Fujica have the best images no contest... the other two are SLR's so should be a bit better. Mind you the Konica does have a Hexanon lens.

Actually, that lens list:

Autorex - Hexanon AR 40mm f/1.8
Konica C35-EF - Hexanon38mm f/2.8
Fujica 35-EE - Fujinon 45mm f/1.9
Minolta X-700 - MC Rokkor-PG 50mm f/1.4

seemingly not a bad one in the list. Go figure.

The dog - 'course she gets miffed, but I *am* the one with the keys to the choc drops after all :D

Well I have the hexanon 40mm and a Konica C35 camera and you should get very good results from them...the Hex 40mm should be sharper than the C35..well it is in my tests.

Yes, I think that were it not for the leaks the Autorex would have the best of it - and you have to remember I was using the #1 eyeball as a light meter with that camera while the rest had meters and stuff!

Yes, I think that were it not for the leaks the Autorex would have the best of it - and you have to remember I was using the #1 eyeball as a light meter with that camera while the rest had meters and stuff!

Look forward to seeing the results once the seals have been sorted.

I really like the idea of being able to switch between full and half frame, it's a shame they're so hard to come by.

Righty-ho, I have done the seals on the X-700 properly with neoprene and also had a go at the AutoRex as well. While I was there, I picked up the Autoreflex TC and did that at the same time :LOL: That's another three tests to go - I have dropped a roll of FP4 in the Autorex so that will have to wait for testing but the other two I should be up for a flash around the garden some time today. May even add the Yashica Electro 35 GTN into the test as well - it's got wide and tele adapters you know :naughty:

Righty-ho, I have done the seals on the X-700 properly with neoprene and also had a go at the AutoRex as well. While I was there, I picked up the Autoreflex TC and did that at the same time :LOL: That's another three tests to go - I have dropped a roll of FP4 in the Autorex so that will have to wait for testing but the other two I should be up for a flash around the garden some time today. May even add the Yashica Electro 35 GTN into the test as well - it's got wide and tele adapters you know :naughty:

It's fun testing thing in between shots, just won a Kiron 28-70mm for £4.50...not expecting much as I'm sure it would be a known gem by now, but you never know.

Kiron's do tend to be rather nice lenses so the odds are in your favour there.

OK, FP4 from the Autorex currently hanging up to dry and is looking rather good so with any luck the leaks on that are sorted - which makes that camera operational so the monster is likely to be going very soon :( One good result so far is that I have figured the rule that allows flicking from half to full frame and back without frames hitting each other... pretty simple really - just make sure every time you change from one to the other you have a full frame wind, so if in full, wind on then switch to half; If in half, switch to full and then wind on. Sounds easy now but it took a while to get this old head around it :LOL:

X-700 was with me in St Olaves today so shot half the (colour) roll there and the rest will go into the TC later today, should get that done and cooked this evening I hope. Then back to testing again, nice little Pop arrived today :D

Arthur

Don't think I've pressed a shutter once this week... catching up on work, whilst deskbound for a couple of days - until the knee settles down again - ended up having to have one of the Bursa's drained, then re-filled with cortisone :puke: First couple of days felt like it'd been filled with 3 of sand and one of cement rather than anything medical, but it's feeling pretty decent now,and the main thing, it's stopped clicking! :woot: Maybe by Tuesday, I'll get back for a decent ride, but I'm just being a wuss and nursing it for the moment.

So - i've not had anything to post for a few days, but hopefully I'll have something soon - found a 120 roll of Fuji Provia 400 shot a while back in the camera bag - Think it was fodder for my cross processing experiments for march's competition. I just need to decide if I should x-process it or soup it straight :thinking:

Re-done all the seals on my Nikkormats this week. First one a steep learning curve, second was satisfying, third boring and fourth plain tedious but hopefully good for their next twenty years.
Not a job I'm in any rush to try again soon. Just need to put some happy lucky sexy super five star golden lady 100-going-on-15ASA film style product through to check for leaks.

Good luck then... if you know what I mean :LOL:

Here's a few from the Autorex, not too bad so I think a qualified success. I am pretty sure this here scanner has a light leak somewhere :(

4-30-2010_005-800.jpg

4-30-2010_013-800.jpg

4-30-2010_022-800.jpg

4-30-2010_038-800.jpg

4-30-2010_039-800.jpg

4-30-2010_040-800.jpg

Frames are equal to their relative size... either half or full.

You like that Autorex, don't you? Nice use of shallow focus BTW. Does it actually swap from full and half frame? I have a vague recollection of such a camera but beer and crisps have ruined my synapses in the intervening 30years.
I can't imagine what the logic is behind such a concept, at the same time as loving the idea.

I love this Autorex! Been after one for as long as I can remember, finally had to settle for a fixer-upper so took a bit of a risk with it. *So* pleased I eventually managed to get it firing properly too :D

Yes, there's a switch on the top near the advance lever that brings two shutters across the frame inside and two little pointy bits into the viewfinder. That viewfinder is also etched with the outline of the half-frame so you can see what you are getting and the pointy bits remind you that half frame is selected. Also on half frame the advance distance is less (bit more than half) - which makes the change from one to the other so important.

As for why it never caught on? Frighteningly expensive to make but more importantly, can you imagine what would happen to your film at the local printing emporium if it looked like this:

strip.jpg

Only those that could afford pro processing or do it themselves could benefit from the half frame mode so it was done away with. There is the AutoReflex P as well which is half but they (and the Alpa from Sweden I think?) were dead in the water from the moment of release really. Nevertheless they are excellent cameras made to last and made well - a bit brick-like but that's good too in this case. (Talking of cases, this is currently in a Zenit Super TL case... the fact that it fits tightly should tell you how big it is!)

Arthur

That's quality Arthur, you have managed to add another camera to my ever increasing list of camera wants and desires.

While I can appreciate the engineering, and the sheer "because we can" aspect of the half-frame/full frame idea, personally I just struggle with the need for a smaller negative size. It's not as if film stock is all that expensive, especially as you say, you're going to have to process it yourself as the aveage minilab would just freak! Nearest analogy is the Xpan, and most pro labs WILL process those, however there's a premium attached.

Still - I don't shoot film because it's logical, I shoot it because I enjoy it, and if half frame is what floats your boat, more power to you. (y)

Oh - now i've gone and mentioned a XPan haven't I... Now i'm going to spend the next week looking for one, and deciding that I really can't afford one, and getting depressed again.

Know the feeling. I just figured I could sell most of these cameras, keep the best, and afford a VFR750F... the Swiss watch from Honda! Will I though... maybe when you get an xPan!

I'm glad to see Arthur back posting prolifically again ;)

The half frame idea from what my Father said, was from back in the days when film was expensive and getting 72 shots out of the film was considered to be a great idea. I reckon it was half marketing (as most of these things tend to be)

I accidentally put a half frame film through my local Tescos a few weeks ago, she did a pretty good job of printing the pictures out considering!

I then realised that the film had been in the camera for nearly 20 years! They really did come out well.

If it's the scanner that's the problem, then I'd keep it - these have a very nostaligic 1970's feel to them...lol

Well - decided to go with cross-processing for the Roll of Provia 100...

May be a few more on the toy camera thread... :)

That's very ... well, reticent I think? I like it a lot, not too overpowering, easy - sort of. (y)

That's very ... well, reticent I think? I like it a lot, not too overpowering, easy - sort of. (y)
Thanks - it's still suffering my usual problem with the Holga - as in I seem completely and totally unable to hold it straight and level :shrug: Somehow, using a tripod seems a little against the spirit of the plastic fantastic though :shake:

Got some glue? Send me your address and I'll post you a couple of those little 10mm diameter 25mm long spirit level tubes to stick on!

Got some glue? Send me your address and I'll post you a couple of those little 10mm diameter 25mm long spirit level tubes to stick on!

I've actually got one of those hotshoe mounted spirit level jobbies - I just keep forgetting it. Much the same as I keep forgetting to remove the lens cap.:bonk: Lost 2 frames on this roll to that problem :bonk::bonk:

But, you can glue one of these *onto* the dust cap... :LOL:

Hmmm - just had a thought! - a modified dust cap that covers the shutter release, then I can't press the button without removing it!

I accidentally put a half frame film through my local Tescos a few weeks ago, she did a pretty good job of printing the pictures out considering!

I then realised that the film had been in the camera for nearly 20 years! They really did come out well.

Any chance of seeing the pics?

Back