PhiltheJuggler's 52! - Finally! Week 52 - Together - A mosaic finish..

Hi Phil, two more beautiful shots but I think I prefer the outtake. There is one small thing that bothers me about your chosen shot - her left eye looks a bit odd. It is just because you can only really see the white of that eye. This is just a small niggle - it's a lovely shot.

The lighting on both of these is superb :clap::clap::clap:

Jenny

Catch up time for me!

Mobile: I've looked at this several times, because although I like the idea, the colours and the interpretation of the theme, something was bothering me a bit. Finally I've worked it out! The tops of the chairs line up very neatly with the horizon on the left and the bottom of the cliffs on the right, and I think the chairs would have had more impact with a lower pov which would take them over that barrier which is at the half way mark in the frame. That's OCD isn't it. :cautious: Nevertheless, it's a very pleasing shot with a definite feel of being the end of a busy day when all the holidaymakers have gone. (y)

Surfaces: This is an absolute cracker, Phil. Perfection. :clap::clap::clap:

Light: Another cracker. I love the lighting and the pose, expression and processing all add to it. Fabulous shot. :clap::clap::clap: I also like the outtake, but prefer the one you chose. :)

Jean

Many thanks for taking the time to comment. I absolutely agree that a lower POV might have improved the chairs shot. Glad you like the surfaces shot and 'light'.

Light

An excellent pose and facial expression on this one and bang on theme. I wonder if the skin and hairline on her forehead are a bit sharp as it shows imperfections in her skin but I dont know a lot about portraits. I think I prefer the outtake.

I agree about the forehead - I've smoothed the skin now slightly which I think helps.

Hi Phil, two more beautiful shots but I think I prefer the outtake. There is one small thing that bothers me about your chosen shot - her left eye looks a bit odd. It is just because you can only really see the white of that eye. This is just a small niggle - it's a lovely shot.

The lighting on both of these is superb :clap::clap::clap:

Jenny

Thanks Jenny - I see what you mean - it's a tricky one as she had fairly dark eyes and by putting in more fill light I would have lost some of the impact of the (hopefully) dramatic lighting.

Phil

Right - apologies to all for not commenting for two weeks - I'll have a blitz tonight!

Phil

Excellent lighting on both. The first just takes it, I think the processing suits more, although I think I do agree with jenny about the eye. Bang on for the theme. :clap:

I do like that you've left some detail in the first image, but I'm another who prefers the second portrait. I'm not keen on the colouring used in the first and the hand looks awkward to me. The second has a much nicer tone to it and the strong contrast of one side against the other gives it a lot of power.

I do like that you've left some detail in the first image, but I'm another who prefers the second portrait. I'm not keen on the colouring used in the first and the hand looks awkward to me. The second has a much nicer tone to it and the strong contrast of one side against the other gives it a lot of power.

:plus1: Those were my thoughts exactly.
I don't really like the green tint in the first one, and combined with the odd bit around the eye it just doesn't look right.
The second is a much more striking image IMO. The light and dark contrast works well and I think you have far stronger eye contact. The fact that you have no shadow detail doesn't bother me at all.

Beautiful pose and lighting in no.1 but I find the colour tint a little bilious on my monitor. And maybe you need to soften the skin a little on the forehead and the back of her hand. No. 2 doesn't grab my attention so much even though I suppose it should. No.1 has more interesting lead lines (formed by the highlights) for my eyes to follow.

Many thanks for all the comments. I like both images and can see why several of you prefer the second.

Phil

Week 36- Project

A building project

Larger version here

p556169995-4.jpg

If you're interested, here was the original, unedited version....

p583673386-4.jpg

Last edited:
Week 36 - just about up to date before I go to India and it all goes to pieces again!

This is a local site that is being redeveloped - I love the fact the wall is torn away revealing the interior behind.

You can't get too close so I shot this on the 1D3 with the 70-200 f/2.8 II @ 160mm, f/4, 1/400, ISO100.

I tone-mapped the single image to increase local contrast and then increased overall contrast and adjusted vibrance / saturation and blacks in LR.

Hope you like it, thanks for looking,

Phil

Last edited:
Interested in any C&C!

Phil

Its a busy image Phil, id be curious to see the original to see what the tone mapping adds to the picture. I like it overall but the face on approach messes with the perspective a little. Difficult to do much about that if you are a fair way off. It would be a good mission to don a hard hat and go do some urbex stuff here.

Hi Phil,

Yes, as Chris says, it's a very busy image, but I think the "busyness" adds to feeling that it is a real "project". So it is bang on theme.

I really like it. The colours are great and there is lots to look at. I have no idea what tonemapping is, so like Chris, I would be interested to see the untonemapped version.

Jenny

Its a busy image Phil, id be curious to see the original to see what the tone mapping adds to the picture. I like it overall but the face on approach messes with the perspective a little. Difficult to do much about that if you are a fair way off. It would be a good mission to don a hard hat and go do some urbex stuff here.

Hi Phil,

Yes, as Chris says, it's a very busy image, but I think the "busyness" adds to feeling that it is a real "project". So it is bang on theme.

I really like it. The colours are great and there is lots to look at. I have no idea what tonemapping is, so like Chris, I would be interested to see the untonemapped version.

Jenny

Hi both - many thanks for the comments. I had no option but to go straight on without trespassing (perhaps I should have??!! :nono:).

I have added the original version so you can see the enhancements. I used Photomatix which is an hdr program (usually for combining multiple shots to increase dynamic range), but it can simulate the effect with a single image which is what I did here. It does it by doing clever things with the contrast AFAIK.

Phil

I like it Phil, the edited version has a lot more punch and really lifts out the brickwork.

As for the trip to India, good luck and have fun.

I like this Phil. Framing is a small issue for me and I would have liked to see the bottom of the door and the top of the first floor windows included, but that might not have been possible. The HDR is a little overdone for my taste, maybe tone it down a little. But overall I like the way the PP has given the bulding a touch of the organic.

Week 37 - Film

Mumbai, the home of Bollywood

Larger version here

p12508583-4.jpg

Week 38 - Dirty

An unkempt beggar approaches a taxi on the streets of Mumbai

Larger version here

p449681869-4.jpg

Last edited:
Film

I'm currently on business in India - Mumbai for a few days and then New Delhi. I'm staying in a 5 star hotel, but look out over some grotty flats (as seen in 'film') which are themselves a paradise compared to the revolting slums.

It struck me that Mumbai is famous for its films and there are quite a few billboards around advertising both Bollywood and Western films - the one in the shot above is on top of flats where I suspect the majority have no access to television. Bizarrely, though, even the horrid slums have a few satellite dishes on top.

I took the shot on the 1DsII with the 24-105 @ 55mm, f/8, 1/200s @ ISO 200. I added a saturation gradient to emphasise the billboards and their effective distance from most of the dwellers despite the physical closeness.

Dirty

Despite being warned about beggars, this man is the first I've actually seen approaching vehicles. This may be because my hotel is in a very poor district of Mumbai. The streets are shockingly dirty around here, and I took a few shots, although somehow the squalor didn't quite have the full impact without the smell!

Anyway, I love candid portraiture and I was pleased with the capture.

I took the shot on the 30D with the 135 f/2 wide open, 1/2000s @ ISO 400. I just cropped/cloned out a distracting car behind the beggar in LR.

Hope you like them,

Phil

These are great Phil! Film ticks the box on many levels, there is so much to look at in the photograph without being busy. It holds the viewers interest so well because it tells a story. I like your processing on this too, the contrasty (is that even a word?) look to it suits the scene.
Dirty, again a great image that tells a story, you have captured a moment there with the fella reaching out his hand for some money. Not much more to add Phil, both are on bang on. Iain

Hi Phil, hope you are enjoying your trip. There must be lots of interesting photographic opportunites over there.

I love both of these shots and both fit the themes very nicely. Strangely though, I think your film shot fits the "dirty" theme better than your "dirty" shot!

The composition of your film shot is very clever, capturing so many different things, as Iain mentioned.

Jenny

Lots of character to your film shot and the graduated desaturation works perfectly.

Dirty is a good spot, but I'm disappointed by the close crop to the subject. I realise there were distractions in the frame but they might have been worth putting up with to give it a little space.

Project: I'm not normally a fan of this style of processing but it works really well here. I love the gritty feel and all the detail in the bricks and elsewhere. It really does look like a massive project underway.

Film: I agree with Jean that this would also fit "Dirty". Great processing - brings out the billboards well without being overdone.

Dirty:you have caught a lovely pose here. It is cropped just a tad to close on the left for my taste but you may not have had much option. I would also prefer a just a shade less foreground - I don't think the bottom tyre track adds anything.

Three excellent shots! :clap::clap:

Film
The contrast is striking in this photo between the multi million pound film industry and the poverty in the homes below.

Dirty
A graphic image of the poverty still experienced by so many in this developing country.

I hope you manage to get lots more great shots like these on your short trip.

These are great Phil! Film ticks the box on many levels, there is so much to look at in the photograph without being busy. It holds the viewers interest so well because it tells a story. I like your processing on this too, the contrasty (is that even a word?) look to it suits the scene.
Dirty, again a great image that tells a story, you have captured a moment there with the fella reaching out his hand for some money. Not much more to add Phil, both are on bang on. Iain

Many thanks, Iain - it's good to hear what viewers like about my pictures so I can hope to work on positive elements in the future!

Hi Phil, hope you are enjoying your trip. There must be lots of interesting photographic opportunites over there.

I love both of these shots and both fit the themes very nicely. Strangely though, I think your film shot fits the "dirty" theme better than your "dirty" shot!

The composition of your film shot is very clever, capturing so many different things, as Iain mentioned.

Jenny

Thanks Jenny - in a way film does fit dirty better! The beggar was pretty grubby, but this was perhaps more obvious at closer quarters!

Lots of character to your film shot and the graduated desaturation works perfectly.

Dirty is a good spot, but I'm disappointed by the close crop to the subject. I realise there were distractions in the frame but they might have been worth putting up with to give it a little space.

Glad you like film! :D

The crop was a difficult choice, but I felt the distraction was way to annoying.

Project: I'm not normally a fan of this style of processing but it works really well here. I love the gritty feel and all the detail in the bricks and elsewhere. It really does look like a massive project underway.

Film: I agree with Jean that this would also fit "Dirty". Great processing - brings out the billboards well without being overdone.

Dirty:you have caught a lovely pose here. It is cropped just a tad to close on the left for my taste but you may not have had much option. I would also prefer a just a shade less foreground - I don't think the bottom tyre track adds anything.

Three excellent shots! :clap::clap:

Many thanks - I may reconsider the crop on dirty - I think it could be stronger with less foreground.

Film
The contrast is striking in this photo between the multi million pound film industry and the poverty in the homes below.

Dirty
A graphic image of the poverty still experienced by so many in this developing country.

I hope you manage to get lots more great shots like these on your short trip.

Thanks - I'm collecting the shots here!

Phil

I think that the first shot actually fits both themes, and I misread the post when I first saw it.

I like the shot for Film, the contrast of the film banners against the rest of the scene really make them stand out.

The candid portrait is very good and an excellent spot and capture...

Hi Phil,

A bit of a catch up from me.

Project : Thank you for sharing the "before" pic. I'm amazed what a difference a bit of PP has made and it's definitely for the better.

Film : Absolutely fascinating shot. So much going on and so many things to look at, but it all seems to hang together really well.
Your PP has worked brilliantly to give the contrast between the bright billboard and the subdued colours of the scene below - it's like looking at 2 different worlds.
And I know this isn't directly related to your shot, but people's priorities never cease to amaze me . . . I'm finding it absolutely astounding that there are slums with satellite dishes :wacky:

Dirty : Great image and really good sense of story behind this one. I agree with Tracer's comments on the crop though.

I like your interpretation of film, again there is lots going on and i like the darker grungy look to it.
Not sure about the crop on dirty but it fits the theme well.

I think that the first shot actually fits both themes, and I misread the post when I first saw it.

I like the shot for Film, the contrast of the film banners against the rest of the scene really make them stand out.

The candid portrait is very good and an excellent spot and capture...

Hi Phil,

A bit of a catch up from me.

Project : Thank you for sharing the "before" pic. I'm amazed what a difference a bit of PP has made and it's definitely for the better.

Film : Absolutely fascinating shot. So much going on and so many things to look at, but it all seems to hang together really well.
Your PP has worked brilliantly to give the contrast between the bright billboard and the subdued colours of the scene below - it's like looking at 2 different worlds.
And I know this isn't directly related to your shot, but people's priorities never cease to amaze me . . . I'm finding it absolutely astounding that there are slums with satellite dishes :wacky:

Dirty : Great image and really good sense of story behind this one. I agree with Tracer's comments on the crop though.

Many thanks all - glad you like the PP on film & I do understand the comments on the crop, but after lots of playing I couldn't improve the shot IMO with different crops.

Phil

Week 39 - Rage

Larger version here

p705835184-4.jpg

Rage

A difficult week - I thought about 'All the rage' as a take on the theme but failed to come up with anything interesting, so I decided to the obvious 'man with cross face' shot, but hoped to at least make a decent job of it!

This is a very gentle friend of mine who kindly agreed to looking stressed. I tried a few with fists clenched but they looked silly.

Taken on 1DsMKII, 50mm f/1.4, 580EXII. Exposure was 1/250, f/5.6, ISO400, in daylight with flash set at -2/3 to give some shadowing + highlights in the eyes.

Converted to B&W in lightroom & adjusted.

Hope you like it!

Phil

It doesn't shout rage at me Phil but he certainly gives the impression of being angry so it does fit the bill. A good portrait photograph, I like the small catchlights in the eyes, it suits the B&W conversion theres a gritty feel about the processing. A good take on the theme. Iain

FILM: nice i like the way the colour dissolves as you get lower

DIRTY: i would like more space, maybe black and white with added grain, just to give it something extra

RAGE: good shot, rage not sure, but menacing - reminds me of Dexter, no not the cartoon ;)

good portrait, not sure about rage but certainly cross! Not normally a fan of mono but it works really well here.

:plus1: And I like the ?brick wall behind which somehow adds to the overall unsettling feeling. Plain backgrounds aren't always the best!
:clap::clap:

I'm leaning more towards annoyed :) Some cracking detail in the portrait and the b&w suits the mood.

He certainly looks cross, not sure it's quite rage, but it's a good interpretation and very well shot.

Back