PhiltheJuggler's 52! - Finally! Week 52 - Together - A mosaic finish..

It doesn't shout rage at me Phil but he certainly gives the impression of being angry so it does fit the bill. A good portrait photograph, I like the small catchlights in the eyes, it suits the B&W conversion theres a gritty feel about the processing. A good take on the theme. Iain

Thanks Iain - I agree it's a bit more slightly p***ed off than rage - but when I tried to make it more extreme it looked silly!

I'm glad he's not looking at me like that. Definitely looks angry and its a good clear portrait of the man. I like it very much.

Thanks Sue!

FILM: nice i like the way the colour dissolves as you get lower

DIRTY: i would like more space, maybe black and white with added grain, just to give it something extra

RAGE: good shot, rage not sure, but menacing - reminds me of Dexter, no not the cartoon ;)

Yeah...menacing is good! Thanks!

Excellent portrait, Phil, but like the others, I think it says more anger than rage. I love the composition, lighting and the B/W treatment. There is so much detail in it. :clap::clap::clap:

Jenny

I know what you mean about the detail - I keep finding my eyes wandering around the hairs in his chin etc!

good portrait, not sure about rage but certainly cross! Not normally a fan of mono but it works really well here.

Thanks - I think mono worked better for this one than the colour version. I did try de-saturated colour, but still prefered mono.

:plus1: And I like the ?brick wall behind which somehow adds to the overall unsettling feeling. Plain backgrounds aren't always the best!
:clap::clap:

Glad you spotted that - was a deliberate ploy to give a bit of a street-violence feel.

I'm leaning more towards annoyed :) Some cracking detail in the portrait and the b&w suits the mood.

That's a fantastic portrait Phil, looking more puzzled than raging but who cares. I love the gritty conversion.

He certainly looks cross, not sure it's quite rage, but it's a good interpretation and very well shot.

Many thanks to you all for taking the time to comment - much appreciated!

Phil

Week 40 - Console

Larger version here

p992523351-4.jpg

Console

I wanted to tell a story with this shot. Colour seemed to detract from the essence of the shot so I went for a sepia conversion and vignette to draw the eye into the frame.

1DsMKII, 70-200 f/2.8 IS II @ 200mm, f/2.8 1/800s @ ISO400, 580EXII.

I hope you like it!

Phil

That's beautifully poignant Phil. Nicely composed and the PP suits the mood.

Was this posed or candid?

Phil, this is a real winner for me :clap::clap::clap: The sepia and vignette are perfect, but above all, the OOF gravestone makes the shot really subtle.

Very poignant and bang on theme.

Jenny

Phil this shot is really powerful and strong, real quality. Perfect composition and exposure and works really well in sepia. Top marks this week:clap:

That's beautifully poignant Phil. Nicely composed and the PP suits the mood.

Was this posed or candid?

Lovely photo. The sepia suits the mood beautifully. I hope its not a candid. that would be so sad.

Thanks so much for all the positive comments. The shot was staged and not candid, but the experience of taking the shot lead to some thought-provoking discussions.

Phil

This is excellent Phil. I wouldn't change a thing on this image.

Very well composed, sepia suits it perfectly and the vignette draws you in.

It bought a lump to my throat as soon as I looked at it. Very poignant.

I would go as far as to say that this is my favourite shot from all of the 52's and there have been many excellent photographs so far.

Well done :clap:

Andy

thats great, i diidn't even think of console like that. good work

Many thanks, David!

This is excellent Phil. I wouldn't change a thing on this image.

Very well composed, sepia suits it perfectly and the vignette draws you in.

It bought a lump to my throat as soon as I looked at it. Very poignant.

I would go as far as to say that this is my favourite shot from all of the 52's and there have been many excellent photographs so far.

Well done :clap:

Andy

Many many thanks, Andy - you just made my day!

Phil

think it has all been said .. a very emotional image, colour, dof all spot on and fits the theme very well.

I hope the children were not upset in your discussions that followed.

think it has all been said .. a very emotional image, colour, dof all spot on and fits the theme very well.

I hope the children were not upset in your discussions that followed.

Many thanks - the kids were fine, I think it's good to discuss loss occasionally without labouring the point.

Phil

oh I am liking that........

taking some enforced time out of my 52, but keep looking through them... just need to comment more.......:|

A lovely picture which does tell a story.......

I am sitting here trying to read the gravestone though.......:shrug: "Stanley Gordon....." makes me think of an older person, a grandparent.........

All in all a very nicely balanced well composed pic....

Rage . . . more stressed and irritated for me, but I absolutely take the point about going too far looking silly.
It's a really good portrait despite not really saying rage. The focus and catchlights in the eyes are perfect.

Phil this shot is really powerful and strong, real quality. Perfect composition and exposure and works really well in sepia. Top marks this week:clap:

Really can't say any more than that. Absolutely spot on this week.

It's been said about Console, and I can't add anything. Truly excellent take :clap::clap:

oh I am liking that........

taking some enforced time out of my 52, but keep looking through them... just need to comment more.......:|

A lovely picture which does tell a story.......

I am sitting here trying to read the gravestone though.......:shrug: "Stanley Gordon....." makes me think of an older person, a grandparent.........

All in all a very nicely balanced well composed pic....

Many thanks! I tried to blur the gravestone out so it was illegible - well done for making some of it out!

Rage . . . more stressed and irritated for me, but I absolutely take the point about going too far looking silly.
It's a really good portrait despite not really saying rage. The focus and catchlights in the eyes are perfect.

Really can't say any more than that. Absolutely spot on this week.

Thanks Sarah - much appreciated!

It's been said about Console, and I can't add anything. Truly excellent take :clap::clap:

Wow - praise indeed! Many thanks

Phil

This is just perfect - composition, lighting, processing.... :clap::clap::clap:

I'm glad it's posed and not for real.

Another major catch up Phil.

Light: The first shot is very well lit. I'm not too keen on the colour and would have preferred just simple B&W, but that's just my preference.

Project: I'm quite fascinated by shots like these. Something about glimpsing behind the wall into someone's home. The PP is just a tiny bit OTT for my taste though.

Film: No the PP on this one is great. Lots to keep you interested as well.

Dirty: Great image that tells a story. The crop is a little tight on the beggar.

Rage: Great portrait. Not sure it quite conveys rage but it does look as though he might get to that stage quite soon.

Console: By far the best image for the theme that I've seen so far. Really powerful and tells a story It is full of emotion. Superb. (y)

This is just perfect - composition, lighting, processing.... :clap::clap::clap:

I'm glad it's posed and not for real.

Another major catch up Phil.

Light: The first shot is very well lit. I'm not too keen on the colour and would have preferred just simple B&W, but that's just my preference.

Project: I'm quite fascinated by shots like these. Something about glimpsing behind the wall into someone's home. The PP is just a tiny bit OTT for my taste though.

Film: No the PP on this one is great. Lots to keep you interested as well.

Dirty: Great image that tells a story. The crop is a little tight on the beggar.

Rage: Great portrait. Not sure it quite conveys rage but it does look as though he might get to that stage quite soon.

Console: By far the best image for the theme that I've seen so far. Really powerful and tells a story It is full of emotion. Superb. (y)

Thanks for taking the trouble to comment on the last few weeks - much appreciated!

CONSOLE: very well done really captures the spirit of the moment (no pun intended) - the PP sets it off a treat, perfect story telling image ;)

Many thanks for all the positive feedback this week!

Phil

Week 41 - Distant

Larger version here

p284428403-4.jpg

Distant

I couldn't think of a distant object that would look good as a subject, so I decided to go for (what I hope) is a distant expression.

1DsII, 135mm F/2.0, 580EXII, f/2.0, 1/500s, ISO100.

Hope you like it and thanks for looking,

Phil

Last edited:
Nicely done Phil, a well captured distant expression, staring off into the distance... it's good that she doesn't look like she's staring at anything in particular. (y)

She's got to be chilly at this time of year Phil, but a very nice portrait shot where she looks very much lost in her own thoughts (y)

Nicely captured Phil, good composition leading in from the bottom corners up to the face and then the stare leads you out again. Ive seen a couple of shots of distant thoughts and often hold a bit of curiosity as to what the thought is.

A lovely portrait here Phil. As Chris mentioned above, the lines and composition lead ones eyes into the image, around and back out again by your model's distant look. There is plenty detail in the portrait to hold the viewers eye too. I like the colour tones in the image too, nice to see a colour portrait as opposed to B&W. Iain

Another superb shot Phil (y)

Lovely colours, really sharp and well composed.

It must be a lot warmer in Northampton than it is in Stoke :LOL:

Andy

Lovely composition, colours and expression (y). I'm just a bit bothered by the OOF boomerang coming out of her left eyebrow - it would be easy to soften it but it shows up on my monitor enough to distract me.

Many thanks for all the comments - sorry I didn't have chance this week to reply individually.

Phil

Week 42 - Secret

A secret kept for millions of years.

Larger version here

p1054568329-4.jpg

Last edited:
Secret

Sorry this is a few days late.

We are on holiday in South Devon and went fossil hunting on Wednesday. I thought if we found a fossil it would fit the theme nicely - a secret held for years!

I must have hammered open a hundred promising looking rocks and only found three with evidence of fossils. One I ruined trying to expose more fossil, one was tiny & I'm not sure it was a fossil at all and the other is in the picture!

I haven't got any extension tubes with me, so I used my 135L which is my closest focussing lens and used it on the 1DMKIII for a little more magnification.

Fossil was sat on a mirror which was lit by sunlight and a dab of fill-flash. I wanted the mirror to show some of the rest of the rock and with careful placing of the camera I could get it to be a featureless backdrop.

Setting was 1/1600s, f/4, ISO100 (1D3 sat on tripod with hotshoe mounted 580EXII).

Background exposure lifted in Lightroom and vignette added - looked a little too plain without it.

Hope you like it,

Phil

Very nice indeed, Phil, and a great interpretation. Very clean and I like the way you have shown so many facets of the stone. Lighting is spot on and the vignette sets it all off nicely. :clap::clap:

I'm puzzled though by the two parallel 'scratches' at the lower right edge. They're the sort of thing I would get from dust when printing film, but here? :thinking: I find them a bit distracting - or are they to represent all the flying chips and sparks you created when searching for fossils? :D

Excellent choice and take on the theme Phil, really like it, it fits together nicely. I agree about those two scratches/lines though...

Very nice indeed, Phil, and a great interpretation. Very clean and I like the way you have shown so many facets of the stone. Lighting is spot on and the vignette sets it all off nicely. :clap::clap:

I'm puzzled though by the two parallel 'scratches' at the lower right edge. They're the sort of thing I would get from dust when printing film, but here? :thinking: I find them a bit distracting - or are they to represent all the flying chips and sparks you created when searching for fossils? :D

Excellent choice and take on the theme Phil, really like it, it fits together nicely. I agree about those two scratches/lines though...

Thanks both - I've removed the lines - I hadn't noticed them for some reason.

I don't know what they are - probably marks on the mirror surface or a reflection of something - I took several frames and can't see any sign of them on the other shots.

Phil

Back