OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

I'm getting embarassed here... XA arrived today :D Had the Balda out doggie-walking earlier today so there's another roll to cook - 's all go around here I tell you :LOL:

Whatever, piccie of the XA surreounded by the XA2 and the Balda Mini35+

xaxa2balda.jpg

Best I don't mention the Konica A4 and the Canon Classic 120 eh?

Last edited:
Hi Arthur,:love:

Just love that Balda, a prince among Kings.(y)

Hi Richard, nice to have you back and yes, they are all rather nice little cameras... the Balda being the smallest oddly enough (but then the XA's don't have the drawbridge I guess. Canon MC should be here soon - seems I am developing a bit of a liking for these little-big cameras, they *are* very handy to have around!

You can only buy so many Russian copies before you have to bite the bullet and go for the real thing...

leica_IIIb.jpg

... and then you realise the difference just by holding it, firing the shutter...

Last edited:

You can only buy so many Russian copies before you have to bite the bullet and go for the real thing...

leica_IIIb.jpg

... and then you realise the difference just by holding it, firing the shutter...

I missed that crafty edit Arthur :naughty: Lovely looking little thing - the engineering quality just drips out of it (y) Just make sure it's used though, theres far too many of 'em just sat on shelves and in cabinets :wacky:

Hi Richard, nice to have you back and yes, they are all rather nice little cameras... the Balda being the smallest oddly enough (but then the XA's don't have the drawbridge I guess. Canon MC should be here soon - seems I am developing a bit of a liking for these little-big cameras, they *are* very handy to have around!

leica_IIIb.jpg

Lovely, I keep looking for one of these at a bargain price. Perhaps one day!

mamiya.jpg

Came in this morning with a surprising body cap, an 80mm 2.8 lens that wasn't mentioned in the listing!

I can't see the aperture stopping down on either A or M though so not sure if it's maybe jammed wide open or maybe this is normal?

M645 1000S has a dof preview button/lever, the 1000 didn't.
So if its a 1000S, the aperture will stay wide open during aperture selection/focussing/whatever and will only close during an actuation or when the dof preview button/lever is operated..

I had an M645 SUPER for a while, with motorwinder metered prism and all the trimmings, didn't get on with 645 in the end though..:shrug:

ahhh....its a 645J, no preview but....

The M645 1000s has a small “depth of field preview” that stops down the lens–however, *all* 645 manual focus lenses have a switch to manually stop down the lens. The 1000s lever is a ergonomic convenience only.

Last edited:
There will be two additions to the collection on Christmas day so no photos until then. First one is an Olympus Pen EE-2, the other is Arthur's Luftwaffe Zorki C.... I can't wait!

M645 1000S has a dof preview button/lever, the 1000 didn't.
So if its a 1000S, the aperture will stay wide open during aperture selection/focussing/whatever and will only close during an actuation or when the dof preview button/lever is operated..

I had an M645 SUPER for a while, with motorwinder metered prism and all the trimmings, didn't get on with 645 in the end though..:shrug:

ahhh....its a 645J, no preview but....

The M645 1000s has a small “depth of field preview” that stops down the lens–however, *all* 645 manual focus lenses have a switch to manually stop down the lens. The 1000s lever is a ergonomic convenience only.

Yup, it's a J.
Popped into the local camera shop to get a battery for it and they reckon there's a linkage gone in the lens, said it might be repairable and might not be too expensive either.
Gonna shoot with it wide open tomorrow and see what I get, try n use that to decide whether I want to fix the 80mm or get a 150mm for it. Which the camera shop had 3 of handily enough!

Not yet a new toy, but under consideration. After fruitless searches of local junk shops, charity shops and "antique" shops I finally hit a small local geegaw shop with a stash of old cameras on the shelf. I need to go back and make more detailed examination (the car was the other side of town and the meter running out), but from memory..
  • Zeis Ikon - basic model, not sure which
  • A couple of Agfa Billys
  • Kodak 1 or 1a, original shutter cable attached
  • Voigtlander Brilliant (early metal case version)
  • Kershaw
  • Kodak Retina 1b
  • A couple of others that slip my mind
You'll note the absence of model numbers against many of these. That's what I now need to check on a return visit with some online prep and printouts of the relevant Camerapedia pages. I superficially checked lens condition and general appearance. All lenses were sound, clean and free of fungus. All bellows I checked looked to be in exellent condition. The Retina had what appeared to be the original UV filter in place. All had a case or ready case, but a couple of the cases were in poor condition. Unfortunately not junk shop prices (the Voightlander and the Ziess were both around £60), but I suspect some haggling is in order.

As I already have a 120 6x6/6x9 folder I'll probably haggle down the Retina 1b - is there anything I should watch for?

Well - a handy trick for checking the bellows is to take a small but powerful torch with you - a mini-maglite will do - and open the back of the camera, shine the torch into the camera, and examine the folds, creases, and corners for pinhole lights. If there are some tiny holes, all's not lost - a few dabs of rubberised fabric paint will sort it, but it can be a valuable bargaining tool for getting a few bob off. Of course, if it's leaking like a sieve, walk away.

I posted in here a while ago by mistake to show off my new 40D and you all seemed so welcoming I thought I have to get in on the film action!

Thanks to a random person who left this out free to a good home after they moved to digital (you may be on here!) I got my hands on this little lot! I'm over the moon with it all to say the least. Sat at my parents at the moment but I will be having a proper sort through what's there and start playing when I go up for christmas :D

Anyway, here's what you want to see!

_MG_9581.jpg

_MG_9583.jpg

_MG_9585.jpg

It also had a bag of around 20 rolls of unused film. It is all sealed in packaging, but all out of date ~exp 2006-2007. Will it be any good or a bin jobby? I assume it will be fine but maybe just not be of the quality of a fresh film?

if its slide film = probably ok, colour neg = likely to be ok, b/w (excluding 3200) = highly likely to be ok.

What's the little lens btw..

What's the little lens btw..

Nikon 50mm f1.8

Thanks for the info on film too! I think a lot is colour negative, there is a variety of different types in there so I really need to have a look through and see what there is.

I'll probably haggle down the Retina 1b - is there anything I should watch for?

Checking the bellows has been covered, but check out the exposure counter - there are are a lot of Retinas about where the exposure counter doesn't work - a very common issue, although it's hardly a deal breaker.

Make sure the lens pops out and folds away without any sticking - the lens needs to be focused at infinity to fold it away.

My wife is going to kill me!!

Why did I do it?

I have just successfully bid for a Nikkormat FTn in black (to match my existing one!!) on the bay for £34 all in.
It includes a Vivitar 70 - 210 macro zoom (don't really care what it includes at that price!

Am I mad, or is it a good buy? Does it fit in with the "I have a new toy" ideal?

Now, I must get a light meter, time to forget about "Guess the exposure". Must get a few rolls of Reala as well, and maybe some B & W (what should I buy?).

I posted in here a while ago by mistake to show off my new 40D and you all seemed so welcoming I thought I have to get in on the film action!

Thanks to a random person who left this out free to a good home after they moved to digital (you may be on here!) I got my hands on this little lot! I'm over the moon with it all to say the least. Sat at my parents at the moment but I will be having a proper sort through what's there and start playing when I go up for christmas :D

Anyway, here's what you want to see!

_MG_9581.jpg

_MG_9583.jpg

_MG_9585.jpg

It also had a bag of around 20 rolls of unused film. It is all sealed in packaging, but all out of date ~exp 2006-2007. Will it be any good or a bin jobby? I assume it will be fine but maybe just not be of the quality of a fresh film?

As it was "free" James, and as it is nearing Christmas, do you not feel obliged to raffle off a couple of lenses to the other members on the forum;)
I bet that they would fit my Nikkormat(s).:LOL:

The R09 looks like a Rodinal bottle.
400TX is a fine film

Think that's the idea.
Got a roll of 35mm 400TX in my Konica just now and 9 waiting patiently in the fridge and now these 5 120s for the Mamiya.
I was meant to put it in to get the foams done when I finish off the HP5 that's in it but we will see.

R09 developer is close to "traditional Rodinal" while Agfa Rodinal
has been altered through the years in unpublished ways; there is little
or no photographic difference between them, according to experts who
have tested both.

for those that didn't know..:cool:

As it was "free" James, and as it is nearing Christmas, do you not feel obliged to raffle off a couple of lenses to the other members on the forum;)
I bet that they would fit my Nikkormat(s).:LOL:

In the true spirit of Christmas.......No! :p

I'm going to sit by the tree and play with my shiney new toys :D

What I will do though, is post the results up on here as a Christmas present for yourself :)

In the true spirit of Christmas.......No! :p

I'm going to sit by the tree and play with my shiney new toys :D

What I will do though, is post the results up on here as a Christmas present for yourself :)

:p
:D

I wouldn't have expected anything else. There is just no substitute for these kinds of things at Christmas.

Yep, nice looking F5!

On a rather more basic level, here's my new 35mm Nikon, an L35 AF complete with "collector's" set:

DSC_00027.jpg

DSC_00034.jpg

Cost a tenth of the price of the F5 above :LOL:

Loaded it with some XP2 but haven't had the chance to play with it yet.

Yep, nice looking F5!

On a rather more basic level, here's my new 35mm Nikon, an L35 AF complete with "collector's" set:

DSC_00027.jpg

DSC_00034.jpg

Cost a tenth of the price of the F5 above :LOL:

Loaded it with some XP2 but haven't had the chance to play with it yet.

erm isn't the idea to carry a camera that you can put in your pocket ;)

Its a beaut camera, the only frames mine has ever cocked up is when the flash doesn't fire.
It is typical plastico 80's styling, no worse than the stuff other manufacturers were turning out, just happens to be a particularly good machine, you'd have to be a Nikon Antichrist to whine about it......
...wait........:thinking:.

...and I still think those Nikons are soooo ugly, all that for a tiny 35mm neg :exit:

Much as I hate to admit it, I think that the F5 is an absolute classic and probably one of the best Sports/PJ film cameras of all time. It looks pretty good as well, if you are OK with the modern rather than retro looks.

Despite being a Canonista I was sorely tempted by one last year at way over double that cost; at £150 I don't think that I could have walked away!! :D

I agree mark, It's either the f5 or a EOS-1V/PB-E2/ES-E1, and you'd certainly not drop on a 1V and all the rest of the stuff for £150 beer tokens :shrug: Doesn't stop me looking though :LOL:

Shush Mark. We both know that the EOS-3 is easily as good as both the F5 and the 1v! ;)

(mind you I'd love to have the functionality of the Exif buffer)

Much as I hate to admit it, I think that the F5 is an absolute classic and probably one of the best Sports/PJ film cameras of all time. It looks pretty good as well, if you are OK with the modern rather than retro looks.

Despite being a Canonista I was sorely tempted by one last year at way over double that cost; at £150 I don't think that I could have walked away!! :D

Well erm I think the Canon T90 is on the borderline for looks and anything larger is ugly for 35mm...but it must be difficult for a camera designer to cram in all features and to pack it all in a slim beautiful looking body ;)
http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/canont90/images/t90front.jpg

Anyone admit to owning one of these ugly looking cameras :LOL:
http://www.olympus-global.com/en/corc/history/camera/l_series.cfm

Back