PhiltheJuggler's 52! - Finally! Week 52 - Together - A mosaic finish..

Nice shot, at first glance it does appear overexposed, but then it starts to work as you look at it then go back and look again - it looks very much 'today' - the other although nice is like an engagement shot and looks dated in comparison.

Either way well done for getting the shot, the angle and space really helps make the image too ;)

I think it's spot on Phil, the lighting, whilst looking harsh suits the image nicely... I want to know what he's holding in his hand, looks a bit like a lottery ticket and he's won and his friends have found out... or he's celebrating something like that anyway. The angle works well, and I agree it needs the space.

Many thanks all for your comments!

Phil

Week 46 - Faith

The Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan al-Nahyan Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi, UAE

Larger version here

p1004180949-4.jpg

Outtake:

p597210557-4.jpg

Last edited:
Week 46

I'm in Abu Dhabi on business at the moment and the mosque is simply the most stunning piece of architecture I've ever seen. Initially I took a picture of it a sunset but wasn't 100% happy so I returned tonight. I like the outtake and I guess it gives more context for the shot, but I loved the reflections and graphic patterns in the first shot more. I also liked the sense of scale given by the solitary person in the shot.

Canon 1DsII, 35mm f/1.4 @ f/2.5, 1/100sec, ISO 400

Hope you like them!

Thanks for looking,

Phil

PS - 'Tis late in Abu Dhabi, but will comment on others threads tomorrow...

crikey they're good. Think I prefer the 2nd one.. it has a real sense of a peaceful place, although it's a close run thing as I also like the first one. Great relections in both and I really like the white and gold against the black of the night.

The first one for me Phi, i live the lines you have got with the composition, at first i thought pity about the fella walking but after a few moments of looking i actually think it makes the shot and as you say it gives it a bit of perspective.

Wow! Those are stunning Phil. Absolutely beautiful :love:

I can see why you picked the first one. The angle and architectural detail from that perspective are incredible. However, it's the second that really draws me in. I like the way that the extra bit of distance has let you get the moon into shot and given you space to bring in the details in the roof and the minaret.

I'd be over the moon with either of these though. Incredible architecture and you've brought it to life in these shots :clap: :clap: :clap:

crikey they're good. Think I prefer the 2nd one.. it has a real sense of a peaceful place, although it's a close run thing as I also like the first one. Great relections in both and I really like the white and gold against the black of the night.

Many thanks - it was a difficult choice, but for me the first shot had more impact.

The first one for me Phi, i live the lines you have got with the composition, at first i thought pity about the fella walking but after a few moments of looking i actually think it makes the shot and as you say it gives it a bit of perspective.

Thanks for the comment - glad you liked it!

Wow! Those are stunning Phil. Absolutely beautiful :love:

I can see why you picked the first one. The angle and architectural detail from that perspective are incredible. However, it's the second that really draws me in. I like the way that the extra bit of distance has let you get the moon into shot and given you space to bring in the details in the roof and the minaret.

I'd be over the moon with either of these though. Incredible architecture and you've brought it to life in these shots :clap: :clap: :clap:

Goodness - what praise! Thank you so much! I did put some thought into the shots - it is such a beautiful place & the day before I'd taken a few snaps that didn't do it justice. I was glad I went back and got shots I was happier with.

Phil

Week 47 - Distortortion

Larger version here

p907085967-4.jpg

Last edited:
Week 47

This very odd building is part of ADNEC (Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre)

It seemed an obvious choice for distortion, but getting the shot was difficult. Most good shots of this building have been taken from the air as there is nowhere on the ground to catch it from a good angle.

I discovered a multi-storey car park adjacent to it and used that. The widest lens I own is my 24-105. I had it right at the 24mm end and still could have used more width on my full-frame 1DsII.

Anyway - I took two shots from an AEB of 5 and fused them to cope with the disparity in levels between the building and the sky.

Hope you like it and thanks for looking,

Phil

"Share" is brilliant - great lighting and poses and I really like the way you have placed them at the edge of the frame. :clap::clap:

As for "Faith" - both are stunning. Great lighting and atmosphere, with wonderful rhythms. I find it difficult to choose between them but think I prefer the first one - I like the way I can see the detail inside the arches, and the figure both sets the scale and gives a sense of humanity. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Distortion - this makes me feel very uncomfortable and I don't think I would want to go inside this :LOL:. The colours are good but I can see why you wanted a wider lens. I would be tempted to clone out the wires on the right which I find a bit distracting, though.

#1 for Faith gets my vote Phil, having the person in the image really gives it a sense of scale. I feel the lighting works better in #1 too. The reflections are exceptional.

Distortion works well too, an unusual building that suits the composition, I like how it 'snakes' through the frame.

Iain

FAITH: Stunning shots!! I would be more than happy with either image to be honest, both are good strong shots.

DISTORTION: What a weird building, but great capture of it. It does look like it my topple over at any moment. I would be tempted to clone out the office bit in the back of it and leave those wonderful clean lines to work their magic

Well done on these 2 weeks shots - one happy bunny i would have thought :clap:

Catching up Phil,

Share: Both shots are superb. I like your original choice, beautiful image. Lots of emotion. The second is a great shot and kudos for going out at the last minute to capture it.

Faith: What can I say - gorgeous images. I can see those being used to promote Abu Dhabi on a high quality brochure. Stunning. (y)

Distortion: Interesting building and well shot.

Faith... all I can say about the image is WOW!!!!!... Love it...

The outtake is good, but it just doesn't have that same wow factor...

Distortion, that's one odd looking building, it's worked well, and fits the bill perfectly.

Hi Phil, sorry I am a bit late in commenting on these.

Share: I really like this one. The composition is excellent and I like the treatment. Good way to recruit some models, but I would not particularly want to walk around the streets at night with a big camera!

Faith: Both fantastic photos. You must be very happy with these. My slight favourite is the first. The colours are stunning, the composition excellent and the guy in the shot just finished it off to give it scale. :clap::clap::clap:

Distortion: Another great shot. What a weird building. Maybe the architect was drunk when he designed it? I would also be tempted to clone out the wires on the right. Great take on the theme. (y)

Jenny

Last edited:
Many thanks all - I'm particularly delighted with the positive comments on 'Faith' - I've submitted it for a competition - fingers crossed!

Phil

Week 48 - Lead

King Edward VII

Larger version here

p530814333-4.jpg

Week 48

I originally thought of some artistic lead-pipe creation for this shot, but failed to find any! Yesterday afternoon the light was more interesting than it had been so I headed into Northampton to the statue of the former leader, Edward VII.

I took a number of shots from different angles that, while I thought they were competent, didn't stand out. I liked the feeling of power in this shot - helped by the point of view being below the king's eye level. I cropped in a little closer, converted to black and white to emphasize the texture and then used some split toning to bring back a little colour to the shot.

1D Mark III, 50mm f/1.4 @ f/2, 1/500, ISO100.

Hope you like it & thanks for looking.

I'll comment on other threads tomorrow!

Phil

The angle and processing work well, making a striking image. It's a pity about the shadow on the shoulder but I don't suppose you could do anything about it. Personally I think the image would be stronger if you cropped the top just a little - at the moment the edge is just kissing the top of the head which I always feel is neither one thing or the other, if you see what I mean.

It is quite a flattering sculpture, isn't it :D. When was it made?

Excellent details captured in the sculpture and a great idea for the theme. Nice one Phil

The trouble with getting so far behind with comments is that everything's been said already! One thing that strikes me looking through the last few weeks, is the enormous variety and style of photos you've been taking, Phil. And every one is a winner! (y)

If I was picking a favourite it would be Week 46 Faith. The composition, lighting and angle are all stunning, as is the Mosque. Absolutely beautiful! :clap:

So on to Week 48 Lead! I like the interpretation of the theme and the execution of the shot is excellent (although I agree about the cropping!). What makes this for me is the angle combined with the strong lighting. The shadows and highlights add grandeur to the statue and enhance the theme of a Leader. :clap::clap:

Jean

I like this too Phil, it is a strong, even powerful image. The PP works well with the subject. Iain

Thanks for all the comments people! Still deciding what I think about cropping the top.

Phil

Week 49 - Space

Larger version here

p801629762-4.jpg

Week 49

An obvious choice of subject perhaps. I looked up to the sky tonight and thought the colours in rings in the clouds emanating from the moon would make a great shot.

The shot is a composite of two shots, one exposed for the moon and the other for the clouds. They were combined in PS Elements. Although I needed two shots to get the exposures right, the result was more or less as the eye saw it.

Both shots on 1D3 + 70-200 2.8 IS II + 2x Ext II. Both at f/5.6 & ISO 400. Clouds were 1/10s, moon was 1/200s.

Hope you like it and thanks for looking,

Will comment on other threads tomorrow!

Phil

Phil, I'm impressed by the processing on that... wish I could do it.. You've caught the Corona beautifully and it's nice to see it without a blown moon which is the best I can manage... I can never get them to merge...The details in the moon look good for such a short focal length too ;)... Bang on theme too.

Spill... what's the trick to combining the images ?

Phil, a well captured photograph of an every day night view. I am with John on the processing though, I wouldn't know where to start on blending images. It is a sharp, well exposed image that is bang on theme. I like it for its simplicity. Iain

Phil, I'm impressed by the processing on that... wish I could do it.. You've caught the Corona beautifully and it's nice to see it without a blown moon which is the best I can manage... I can never get them to merge...The details in the moon look good for such a short focal length too ;)... Bang on theme too.

Spill... what's the trick to combining the images ?

Phil, a well captured photograph of an every day night view. I am with John on the processing though, I wouldn't know where to start on blending images. It is a sharp, well exposed image that is bang on theme. I like it for its simplicity. Iain

Many thanks both!

Here's a summary of what I did! These are the two original images:

p431966739-2.jpg
p502334107-2.jpg

1) I loaded them in to Photoshop Elements 6.
2) I used the quick selection tool to cut the correctly exposed moon out of the first shot.
3) I pasted this into a new layer above the second shot. I moved it around and rotated it slightly to match / cover the blown moon.
4) I removed the glare of the blown moon by cloning from the area around it.
5) I increased the saturation on clouds layer & tweaked the brightness on the moon layer until they looked right.
6) I changed the layer setting to 'lighten' I think - this seemed to make it blend in better than the default setting.

Phil

Last edited:
Back