weekly Drodd's Photo52 for 2011 - Week 51, 52 and bonus: Light, Glass, Nature (post 1545)

Hi Dawn these are great images - very professional looking and shows you've really thought about the theme.

I'm torn between the two versions - I think overall I like the original because it seems more natural and less posed. But I like that fact that the word "accommodation" is more legible in the second pic.

I love the DOF. They are enchanting, delicate abd subtle.

Patrick

I do like the reshoot Dawn, the lighting is a lot better. The first looked like there were two different light sources, which was affecting the WB. ie. The left hand side of the picture was cold looking and the right hand side warm - IYSWIM :)

Hi Dawn these are great images - very professional looking and shows you've really thought about the theme.

I'm torn between the two versions - I think overall I like the original because it seems more natural and less posed. But I like that fact that the word "accommodation" is more legible in the second pic.

I love the DOF. They are enchanting, delicate abd subtle.

Patrick

Hi Patrick

Thank you so very much for your kind compliment and encouraging words. I think that is the highest praise I have received to date for any of my photographs and gives me a sense of achievement.

I am also torn between the two images, although I still lean more to the first photo because of the tone and more natural feel (if I had got the word clearer I think it would have been a winner), but regardless I am still happy with it.

I realised today that it is a year since I started my photography and joined TP and I have been looking back at some of my previous posts reflecting on some of the photos I posted in the early days. I believe I have come a long way since those first images and am very thankful to many people for their advice and help over the past year.

Through doing this 52 I hope to improve on what I have learned and develop my photography skills even more, there is still so much to learn, and as they say 'practice makes perfect' :)

Thanks again for you feedback.

Cheers

Dawn :)

I do like the reshoot Dawn, the lighting is a lot better. The first looked like there were two different light sources, which was affecting the WB. ie. The left hand side of the picture was cold looking and the right hand side warm - IYSWIM :)

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your comments. I see what you mean about the first looking half cold/warm, which I think is mainly due to shadow rather than lighting, but I can see how one would see that as being two different light sources.

I think both photos have a different ambiance, even though the same subject. I guess that is the beauty about photography, one can use the same arrangment, but with different techniques create a different and unique image.

Cheers

Hi Dawn,

great take on the theme as already stated. I liked your original image but the retake has improved it enormously with the glasses being turned around. I look forward to following your 52 week thread in the future.
Best of luck
Ceri

Hi Dawn,

great take on the theme as already stated. I liked your original image but the retake has improved it enormously with the glasses being turned around. I look forward to following your 52 week thread in the future.
Best of luck
Ceri

Hi Ceri,

Thanks for the feedback about both photos. It's interesting to see the difference of opinion on both versions, some prefering the first to the second and visa versa.

I am looking forward to the next theme and hope it is something that will challenge my thought process like this theme has.

Woohoo I have a fan :LOL:, thanks. Please do follow my 52 week thread and all c&c welcome, plus if you think I am slacking or lagging behind, feel free to give me a nudge.

Cheers

I love the idea, and prefer the re-shoot (photo 2).

I think the higher angle combined with the glasses being the other way up really helped the photo.

Nice work with this weeks concept and good luck with the 52 and the 365 i'm glad I am not the only one mad enough to attempt both.

I have added you on flicker so as to keep up with both

Matt
MWHCVT

I love the idea, and prefer the re-shoot (photo 2).

I think the higher angle combined with the glasses being the other way up really helped the photo.

Hi Tony, thanks for the compliment and feedback. Seems there are a quite a few who prefer the second one for the reasons you have stated.

Cheers

Hi Dawn...Happy New Year,

I liked your first shot purely for the outside of the box thinking, really like the reshoot though focussing through the lenses.. love it!

have been away for a while but you've drawn me back in...

Thanks

Jo

Hiya Jo .... Thanks and a Happy New Year to you too.

It's been a while since the Ingleton Falls meet last year, a day I will never forget, getting absolutely drenched in the rain :LOL:

Thanks for your comments on the photos, much appreciated. I am going to attempt to think 'outside the box' for majority of the themes, although I think there will be a few I may not be able to do so.

I thought I hadn't seen you here on TP for some time, I hope you are keeping well. Glad that you have been drawn back and hope you find inspiration to take some brill photos, of which I look forward to seeing.

Take care

Cheers

Last edited:
Nice work with this weeks concept and good luck with the 52 and the 365 i'm glad I am not the only one mad enough to attempt both.

I have added you on flicker so as to keep up with both

Matt
MWHCVT

Hiya Matt,

Thanks for the comments and the good luck, I am going to need it :LOL: Indeed you are not the only one mad enough to attempt both. I had already decided in December to do a 365, then when I saw the thread for the 52 thought that would be a challenge that I could fit in with the 365, so went for it.

I can safely say that so far I have managed to keep up with the taking of the photos for the 365, just need to sort them and upload to flickr, which I hope to complete this weekend.

I look forward to following your progress on both projects too. Perhaps we could keep each other in check if we start to slack, as I think there may be times when the marathon may start to wear. There are bound to be times when things get a bit hectic, but I think if one gets in the habit of taking a daily pic and trying to post as soon as possible it will become part of the daily routine.

Good luck with the 52 & 365, and see you here and on Flickr.

Cheers

well done dawn love the way you have thought out the box on this one

nicley done too

Hiya Alex,

Thanks for the compliment, I just hope I can maintain the thinking outside the box throught the challenge :LOL:

Cheers

Hi Dawn

I prefer the framing of the word in the 2nd shot, but I agree that the positioning of the glasses upside down on the page works better. I liked the colours of the first shot too. A very solid start to your 52 and look forward to seeing your future shots.

Hi Dawn

I prefer the framing of the word in the 2nd shot, but I agree that the positioning of the glasses upside down on the page works better. I liked the colours of the first shot too. A very solid start to your 52 and look forward to seeing your future shots.

Hi David,

Thanks for the compliments and feedback, if only I could have known the outcome of both at the start of the shoot I may have got an ace pic there with a combination of the good from both :) But then I suppose that is all part of the learning experience and something I will have to think about and apply to my future photos.

I am looking forward to the next theme now, ready to take on another challenge :D

Cheers

Good start Dawn Myself I like the first one except it could have been a tad lighter. But then what do I know.?
Albi. :cool:

Good start Dawn Myself I like the first one except it could have been a tad lighter. But then what do I know.?
Albi. :cool:

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Cheers

..... but an old broom knows every corner

(The usual meaning of this old saying is that when we start a new task or are in a new environment, we make a much bigger effort and probably produce better results.) Hopefully that will be the case for me by attempting this 52 :)

Hi,

First of all, thank you to everyone for the valuable comments and critique on my Week 1. I was overwhelmed by the replies and input and have taken on board everything that was suggested, and I learned so much from the first photo right though to the re-shoot of the same subject.

This week I have decided to try something totally NEW, even though I have dug out some old equipment that I was tempted to throw away last year, but didn't because I knew there was a reason for keeping them, i.e., the room dividers which are great for backdrops, old lights (used in this shot for lighting) and the dressmakers bust (which is my model). The dress I bought about 15 months ago and the broom about the same time as I wanted to create a unique 'witchie' outfit.

So this week also has a 'New Age' feel to it, which I hope I have managed to portray, even though it is far from the original photo I shot. The image is heavily processed, but that was part of my aim too, i.e., to learn NEW post processing techniques and test the boudries.

A New Broom....
5347298249_b2b7646862_b.jpg

I realise this may not be to everyones taste, but just felt I needed to push the boundries and try something NEW and different.

As usual, any comments and critique will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

nice shot dawn, great idea with the backdrop and lighting.

Hiya Rob,

Thanks for the comments. I tried a few different processing techniques with this shot, but preferred this one out of the lot.

I'm going to hold onto the lighting and backdrops now as I think they may come in handy for photography.

Cheers

Dawn

I really like this Dawn, the processing and lighting are just perfect, and what an interesting subject - definitely inspirational :)

much better without the shadow (y)

well done
:)

Hiya, and thanks for the comment, I take it you are referring to the shadow in the Week 1 theme 'Accommodation'? as I don't see a shadow on Week 2.

Cheers

I really like this Dawn, the processing and lighting are just perfect, and what an interesting subject - definitely inspirational :)

Hiya Maria,

Thanks for your comments, they are very encouraging.

Even though I like the results of my processing, I was a bit worried, at the time, that this was a bit too far for some, which I am starting to believe is the case as it doesn't seemed to have struck a chord with many.

But then again that is art, we can't please everyone all of the time. I sometimes look at the works of some of the greatest and famous artists and wonder what they were thinking when they composed their masterpieces, and then there are other that I think WOW that is great! We are all individual with out own tastes, likes, and in some respects .... beliefs. Perhaps I have hit a soft spot or a sore point with this image? :thinking: Either way it would be great to hear what people think ..... so I can take those opinions onboard.

You are welcome to visit my pics/thread any time and I look forward to your valued comments.

Cheers

Really like this shot. If i was being uber picky and I mean UBER PICKY I would pheraps clone out the hinge of the room divider on the top left of the picture. But really that is a cracking shot and the lighting and angle is really good!

That's a really interesting shot Dawn. Worth printing out and sticking on the wall in my opinion.

Hi Mike, thanks for the comment and compliment. I'm not sure I have anywhere in my house to hang the photo :thinking: will have to see if it would suit somewhere.

Cheers

Really like this shot. If i was being uber picky and I mean UBER PICKY I would pheraps clone out the hinge of the room divider on the top left of the picture. But really that is a cracking shot and the lighting and angle is really good!

Thanks for your compliments. I like uber picky comments and now that you mention it I agree with you. I hadn't really notice it, but no that you have pointed it out I am aware of it when I look at the photo. I will see if I can clone it out.

Cheers

Thanks for your compliments. I like uber picky comments and now that you mention it I agree with you. I hadn't really notice it, but no that you have pointed it out I am aware of it when I look at the photo. I will see if I can clone it out.

Cheers

Yeh, its one of those things that once you've seen it your eye keeps getting drawn to it. . .
But like I say it is being really really uber picky!

Ben

wow, the broom shot is certainly pushing the boundaries. When I first saw it I wasn't 100% sure, but the more I look, the more I like. I think the amount of vignette is maybe a tad too much. And I mean just a tad. It definitely needs some, so it was good that you recognised this and added it.

Nice one

Hi Dawn

Love the back lighting, thats a fab looking dress is it velvet?, like the backdrop looks almost like old leaded windows in a castle or something adding to the overall atmosphere, agree about the hinge, or think maybe I would have used tape on the back of the screen to completely remove the 2 strips of light altogether, making it more mullion window like.

Like the way your thinking deeply about each challenge, and coming up with something different, good stuff (y)

wow, the broom shot is certainly pushing the boundaries. When I first saw it I wasn't 100% sure, but the more I look, the more I like. I think the amount of vignette is maybe a tad too much. And I mean just a tad. It definitely needs some, so it was good that you recognised this and added it.

Nice one

Hiya Simon,

Thanks for the compliments. I too sometimes see an image that at first I am not sure about, but then it grows on me the more I look at it, so I know what you mean.

I had an image in my mind of what I wanted to creat and when I applied the vignette I was in two minds about how much to apply. I played around with the slider and decided to go with this amount because when I reduced it, the depth and eeryness seemed to fade.

I suppose it is an image I could do many things with, I have the original saved so I can play around with it some more another day.

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers

Hi Dawn

Love the back lighting, thats a fab looking dress is it velvet?, like the backdrop looks almost like old leaded windows in a castle or something adding to the overall atmosphere, agree about the hinge, or think maybe I would have used tape on the back of the screen to completely remove the 2 strips of light altogether, making it more mullion window like.

Like the way your thinking deeply about each challenge, and coming up with something different, good stuff (y)

Hiya Dave,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. The dress is a 'Dark Star' creation and is made of Rayon, so a tad revealing ;)

The backlighting was achieved by placing a standard table lamp, and the base of a larva lamp either side of the room divider and also had the main light on in the room, which is quite dim.

I like your interpretation of an old leaded window in a castle, because that was sort of the image I had in mind when I was creating the shot.

Now that the hinge has been pointed out, I agree and I also like your idea about the tape, I think a bit of masking tape should do the trick. I think I might just have a go at doing a reshoot of this on the weekend, for my own peace of mind :D

I just hope I can keep up with this deep thought about each weekly theme. I try to get the image as soon as possible so that if it needs some work I can do it before the next weeks theme. That way I hope to be able to stay on top of everything.

Thanks for your valued input.

Cheers

I like it, very spooky, actually made me shiver!

Hiya Callum,

(y) I have results! :p

Glad you like it and it gave you the chills :D

I think there may be more to come in my 52 .... so better be prepared!

Cheers

I have been reading a few threads tonight, and I hope that my personal challenge to think outside of the box is not putting people off commenting on the image I produce. Otherwise I may have to re-think my strategy.

Cheers

Dawn :thinking:

..... but an old broom knows every corner

(The usual meaning of this old saying is that when we start a new task or are in a new environment, we make a much bigger effort and probably produce better results.) Hopefully that will be the case for me by attempting this 52 :)

Hi,

First of all, thank you to everyone for the valuable comments and critique on my Week 1. I was overwhelmed by the replies and input and have taken on board everything that was suggested, and I learned so much from the first photo right though to the re-shoot of the same subject.

This week I have decided to try something totally NEW, even though I have dug out some old equipment that I was tempted to throw away last year, but didn't because I knew there was a reason for keeping them, i.e., the room dividers which are great for backdrops, old lights (used in this shot for lighting) and the dressmakers bust (which is my model). The dress I bought about 15 months ago and the broom about the same time as I wanted to create a unique 'witchie' outfit.

So this week also has a 'New Age' feel to it, which I hope I have managed to portray, even though it is far from the original photo I shot. The image is heavily processed, but that was part of my aim too, i.e., to learn NEW post processing techniques and test the boudries.

A New Broom....
5347298249_b2b7646862_b.jpg

I realise this may not be to everyones taste, but just felt I needed to push the boundries and try something NEW and different.

As usual, any comments and critique will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

I'm loving this (y)

just put it on the big screen an turned the light out (scared the crap out of me :LOL:)

Back