weekly Drodd's Photo52 for 2011 - Week 51, 52 and bonus: Light, Glass, Nature (post 1545)

ooh, I can't wait until your style comes out:)

um...
that doesn't sound right...

:LOL: Dan, thanks and I know what you mean ;)

I did a shoot last night, but wasn't 100% impressed with the images, so tonight I have done another shoot as I had more ideas of how I want to compose this one.

Now I have to sift through the pics and decide which to use.

I have really set myself a high target for this one, I just hope I am happy with the final result.

Not sure if I will have it ready for tonight, may sleep on it and decide tomorrow. Sorry to keep you in suspense :LOL:

Cheers

Dawn :)

Finally, after much consideration and planning, not to mention the number of photographs I shot for this theme...... here is my image (rather late than never :LOL:)

STYLE:
5376535698_2615c35909_b.jpg

What:
LP's ..... yes vinyl..... I love them and the STYLE of music I enjoy listening to is best heard on this format. You can't beat a good mix of the old classics via the stylus. Plus if you look closely you will notice the theme continued through all three discs.

Why:
I wanted to create an image with an old 'duke-box' feel, without the duke box, if you know what I mean .... after all this style of music is still very much alive today, maybe not to the younger generation, but hopefully they will appreciate the concept behind the idea.

How:
OMG how .... this has been quite a project, with many lighting techniques, however nothing expensive..... basic table/standard lamps with different coloured bulbs and a lot of patience and playing with different settings

Learnt:
If one opens their mind to the theme the possibilites are endless, if not overpowering. I have had so much fun with this theme and have a whole portfolio on the subject. This image is only one of the many I produced. However, I think the one thing I have learned from this, from a photographer perspective, is that if I have a subject/theme to photograph, I need to reign my ideas in and concentrate on one or two images. My thought process was bombarded with ideas and as such was tempted to go mad with this theme. But in the end, even though I have taken many photos of the subject, I decided to stick with one theme, rather than clutter the image with different interpretations of the theme.

Improvement:
Stick with one idea rather than get carried away. I'm happy with the final effect, but it has taken me some time to get to this. I think I have captured and composed what I had in mind for this take, despite having had many other ideas of the theme (which I will probably put together in a separate thread to this). Improve on the joining of photos.

Composition
It was necessary to make slight crop and adjustment to the angle of the three images to obtain the alignment that I needed to compose the final image and also remove some distracting elements in the photos. Although I hope I have executed this creatively and in the right proportions.

Bearing all above in mind, if there is anything you may contribute to the improvement of the image, I would greatly appreciate feedback. This has been a very 'challenging' theme, not in subject, but in execution as it has made me think about interpretation, technique, composition, post processing, assimilation, lighting, angle, camera settings, etc, etc. A reallly fatastic choice of subject to get all the cogs working.

I have loved and enjoyed every moment this week working on this project. And apologise to those who have been waiting for what I came up for this weeks theme. I hope I am maintaining my standard.

Now I have my work cut out for me, getting round to all your Week 3's to leave feedback. And if I missed your week 1 & 2's I will be there to comment on same shortly. I think it is important that we all support each other throughout this 52, so I will make time tonight and tomorrow to visit threads and leave feedback.

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment on my thread.

Cheers

Last edited:
Ooooh
blimey...
Is it just one shot, or 3?
If it's just one shot, would there be able to see just a wide angle kind of shot so I can see the whole thing? - As I'm really sorry, but I just can't appreciate it fully without seeing the whole thing...
does that make sense?

(I know, I'm showing my ((lack of)) age here!)

Ooooh
blimey...
Is it just one shot, or 3?
If it's just one shot, would there be able to see just a wide angle kind of shot so I can see the whole thing? - As I'm really sorry, but I just can't appreciate it fully without seeing the whole thing...
does that make sense?

(I know, I'm showing my ((lack of)) age here!)

:LOL: Hiya Dan,

Thanks, but no this is created from 3 shots.

There is no trick photography, except for the the cropping and positioning of the photographs to create the 'loading' effect.

I was hoping that 'age' wouldn't have an impact on this image, afterall if you think of it, a cd shuttle sort of works in the same concept as loading LPs to a turntable, the latter just requires more manual effort.

Perhaps I haven't quite portrayed the point here. But then I didn't want the image to be too technical and rather wanted to portray the image of style of DJ'ing/spinning, after all there are many who still prefer vinyl to disc because of the versatility and control. But then that is a matter of preference.

Cheers

Hi dawn,
Well you have really been a busy bee this week creating this final image. I think the idea is a great one and you have executed it really well.

On my laptop monitor you can just see the "join" between the top and middle image but between the middle and bottom image the "join" is perfect.

I think you are setting yourself a very high standard and i look forward to seeing more of this excellent work.

Best Wishes

Ceri

Wow Dawn the week 3 photo is fantastic. Very creative, good composition and nice colours. I like it a lot. Love the translucency. The only criticism I can make is that the join line between the top and middle is a bit distracting. Can you somehow blend it out better? I have no idea how you would though as I'm a PS noob.

Hi dawn,
Well you have really been a busy bee this week creating this final image. I think the idea is a great one and you have executed it really well.

On my laptop monitor you can just see the "join" between the top and middle image but between the middle and bottom image the "join" is perfect.

I think you are setting yourself a very high standard and i look forward to seeing more of this excellent work.

Best Wishes

Ceri

Hiya Ceri

Thanks for your comments, and yes I know what you mean about the join, that has had me baffled and I just don't seem to be able to get it right. Although I did all the post processing in Picasa and Picnic, I think if I had more time to do more I could elimate same. I must get hold of a copy of Photoshop, because I understand that there is a way to deal with this in there.

Indeed, each week I do seem to be setting myself a higher standard, but then that is what keeps me motivated to complete this 52. I just hope I haven't set too high a standard at the start and that I can improve weekly.

I have great ambitions for this year, not just for this project and the others that I am doing, but this year is hopefully the beginning of great things for what is to come ;)

Cheers

Really good effects Dawn, very 60's in style. Love the colours involved too, it has a real retro feel to it :clap:

But, there is a really harsh line between the top and middle picture that I'd like to see removed or blended in.

Hiya Dawn

What a cracking shot for week three...well actually for all three of the weeks:clap: Have absoultely no idea how you went about it but the result is great , had to look at 4 times before I saw the line that others have mentioned !
Can't wait to see your next 49 shots !

ps: when do you get time to go to work ? :LOL:
Lynne

Really good effects Dawn, very 60's in style. Love the colours involved too, it has a real retro feel to it :clap:

But, there is a really harsh line between the top and middle picture that I'd like to see removed or blended in.

Hiya Sarah,

Thanks, yeh I like the 60's style, very much my style so a quite a bit of my being in this pic. I like the colours too and the retro style .... just what I wast trying to capture in the image.

I agree about the harsh line, and only noticed it once I had uploaded to here. I have made some adjustments, a bit of cloning to see if I can remove it, what do you think? Have I removed it enough not to be a distraction?

Cheers

Hiya Dawn

What a cracking shot for week three...well actually for all three of the weeks:clap: Have absoultely no idea how you went about it but the result is great , had to look at 4 times before I saw the line that others have mentioned !
Can't wait to see your next 49 shots !

ps: when do you get time to go to work ? :LOL:
Lynne

Hiya Lynne,

Thank you for your compliments on this and all three weeks. How I did this was take three photos and compose them in sort of a triptych (a new style for me too) and after learning about them I am on a roll and have taken so many other photos this week for a similar style, hence why I am a bit later than normal getting my post up.

As for 'time', I don't know ...... I just take every opportunity I have to dedicate to my photography. I work school hours, then have a (nearly 6 year old) son to contend with after school/work, homework, and then once he is is fed, bathed and in bed I spend the rest of the night on my photography. I don't really watch TV, although have either that or the radio as background company. It is tough at times, and I wish I had more hours in the day, but I have to make the most of the time I have. I think that if the passion is great enough -one can conquer all.

I just hope I can keep up with the next 49 (omg is that all that we have to go to the end :LOL:)

Cheers

Last edited:
Fab stuff Dawn I never expected anything like this, we we were speaking, just brilliant congrats, cant say much more than superb, and very ingeniously creative :clap: :clap: :clap:

Another cracking pic Dawn. Very professional looking. The dark background works well with the bright colours. I like the composition of the lettering, especially the word "epic" which is almost like a title for the pic. I had to hunt to see how each element linked to the theme, but perhaps that was your intention.

The visible join is a little distracting, but not a big deal, and again maybe it was intentional. I would have preferred to have the lettering on the Style Council CD visible and not OOF.

But these a just quibbles. It's a very arresting image that really grabs attention.

(now just need to get mine done - oh no only 1 day left!) :bonk:

Fab stuff Dawn I never expected anything like this, we we were speaking, just brilliant congrats, cant say much more than superb, and very ingeniously creative :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wow thanks Dave, that is some praise. I did warn you that I had something quite creative up my sleeve. Thanks for your tips about the triptychs, although for this image I decided to compose without a border as I thought it would break the flow of the image too much. Having said that I have taken many photos this week and what I think I are some ACE pics condusive to a triptych style.

BTW I have also come up with a corporate name and identity and am defo going to start taking my photography more seriously. I will PM you with the details.

This theme has opened new doors for me and I am so excided and motivated about my progress.

Cheers

Wow Dawn, really like week 3, especially the minor details like how the theme carries over all 3 LPs. A busy image, but one that works, nice one.

Callum :).

Another cracking pic Dawn. Very professional looking. The dark background works well with the bright colours. I like the composition of the lettering, especially the word "epic" which is almost like a title for the pic. I had to hunt to see how each element linked to the theme, but perhaps that was your intention.

The visible join is a little distracting, but not a big deal, and again maybe it was intentional. I would have preferred to have the lettering on the Style Council CD visible and not OOF.

But these a just quibbles. It's a very arresting image that really grabs attention.

(now just need to get mine done - oh no only 1 day left!) :bonk:

Hiya Patrick,

Thank you for your comments and critique. I am so glad you read into the word 'Epic', as that was one of the main features to the image for me, i.e., vinyl being epic, not to mention the artistes on the albums, all epic classics in my eyes, or should that be my ears :LOL:

Indeed, I wanted peeps to hunt for the elements. How often have you viewed an image and thought, where is the artist going with this, yet there are so many references to the subject, i.e., in word and expression, and I am glad you got that.

This was a very new technique/style for me, and with more practice I may master the art of disappearing joins. But for a first attempt I don't think I have done too bad. Needs improvement, but then that is part and parcel of this learning experience.

I can relate to you wanting the 'Style Council' more in focus, I would have preferred that too, but I suppose I got a bit lazy on that one and if you had to see what I had to do to set up for that shot, you probs would have given up too. It was the trickiest part of the whole shoot. I don't know why, but I just couldn't get the right focus. Not sure if it had to do with all the other things going on in the centre focus. Anyway it is something for me to work on.

The thing is, I am such a perfectionist, so no doubt I will be taking on board all comments and trying to get a perfect pic this weekend. Despite how much I have to catch up from the week, I will do it! Afterall it is part of my learning experience.

Now I am looking forward to week 4's theme, and am going to make a huge effort to get round to all my fellow TP'ers 52's and if time 365's.

Cheers

Last edited:
Wow Dawn, really like week 3, especially the minor details like how the theme carries over all 3 LPs. A busy image, but one that works, nice one.

Callum :).

Hiya Callum,

Thanks, and so glad you can see how the theme carries over the 3 LP's as that was my intention, and bliming tricky to achieve too :LOL:

I had many other ideas for this theme, of which I have taken photos and will compose a separate project from the them.

Cheers

Dawn

Last edited:
Wow Dawn the week 3 photo is fantastic. Very creative, good composition and nice colours. I like it a lot. Love the translucency. The only criticism I can make is that the join line between the top and middle is a bit distracting. Can you somehow blend it out better? I have no idea how you would though as I'm a PS noob.

Hiya Kaz

Thanks for the compliments and comments. I have taken onboard the comments about the join and have tried to blend it better using a retouch technique.

Hope it has improved the image.

Cheers

Hi Dawn,

The cloning has improved the image quite a bit.relax now for the rest of the evening.

Hi Ceri,

Thanks, I'm glad you think it has improved the image a bit.

Cheers

Hi Dawn.

Been waiting to see what you had planned for this, and I'm not disappointed :clap: :clap: :clap:
Obviously a HUGE amount of thought and effort went into this and the results stand for themselves. For what is a relatively simple concept there's just so much to look at in this and so many elements that I really like that I just don't know where to start with C&C :LOL:
The very clever thing that stands out for me though are those beams of light that you've added. They really hold the 3 layers of images together and make them into a whole.

As far as improvements go . . . and I feel awful saying this, especially after you've gone to the effort of revisiting it and doing more work on the join between top and middle images . . . that section still isn't there for me.
I haven't seen your first version, but based on your edit this morning I'd really like to see those two pieces merging together seamlessly.

I hope you don't mind but I've had a play in CS4. Please say if you want me to take it down and it's gone :)

I'm not sure if you can replicate this in the software you're using, but I've used the clone tool and a partial copy onto a duplicate layer to extend the "tail" on Epic down to the middle pic. Not the neatest job because I did it quite quickly, but I hope it gives you an idea of what I was aiming for and if you spent longer on it you could get a much tidier result.
I've also added some gaussian blur to a selected area between the top and middle images to help them blend in better.

Last edited:
<snip>I hope you don't mind but I've had a play in CS4. Please say if you want me to take it down and it's gone :)

I'm not sure if you can replicate this in the software you're using, but I've used the clone tool and a partial copy onto a duplicate layer to extend the "tail" on Epic down to the middle pic. Not the neatest job because I did it quite quickly, but I hope it gives you an idea of what I was aiming for and if you spent longer on it you could get a much tidier result.
I've also added some gaussian blur to a selected area between the top and middle images to help them blend in better.<snip>

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your kind words and comments I really value your feedback. Thanks for taking the time to edit the photo to show me what it is you had in mind. I like it and that is ideally what I wanted to achieve with the EPIC but didn't know how to achieve this, so I appreciate your explanation of how you did it. I don't have CS4, but think it may be time for me to invest in the program. I have Lightroom 3, Picasa and Picnic, and don't think either of those will achieve this but I will investigate to see if there is something in LR that can do this.

No need to remove the image as it would be good to hear what others think of the image and perhaps have other ideas that can apply. I am definitely going to work on this image a bit more, at some point, mainly for my own learning.

Once again your input is much appreciated.

Cheers

Ooops, just realised I hadn't changed the title in the first post to Week 3 - 'Style' :bonk:

Hi dawn
Sarah's efforts has improved the image but your original idea is wonderful. Take note of peoples ideas and experience and learn from it. However what you are doing with your limited pp software is excellent.
Keep up the good work
Ceri

Hi dawn
Sarah's efforts has improved the image but your original idea is wonderful. Take note of peoples ideas and experience and learn from it. However what you are doing with your limited pp software is excellent.
Keep up the good work
Ceri

Thanks Ceri,

I agree about Sarah's edit and will revisit the image when I have acquired a package that can achieve those results.

I am making an effort to visit all 52'ers to see what feedback has been left because we learn so much from each other and already over the last 3 weeks I have gained so much knowledge, tips and great ideas.

Thanks for your support.

Cheers

Week 3 is superb love the idea composition and the end result very good indeed

Hiya Andrew,

Thanks for the compliments, I am quite happy with the result, although it does need a few tweeks which I will attend to later.

Cheers

Hi Dawn
Week 1 : Prefer the second shot on this it seemed to focus me with the glasses on the word accommodation nice take on the theme. DOF just right in my view.

Week 2 : Can see where you are going with this one but vignetting seems a bit to harsh for me but thats just my view the direction in the new age is a good take on the theme.

Week 3 : Brill on the theme I think the crop a bit to tight by a midges but love the photo. Good work. :clap:

Regards
Carl

Hi Dawn,

Great Wk 3 image. Love the stacking going on and also love the vintage effect on the vinyl. Sarah's edit has joined the top two perfectly and looking at the original it just needed something to knit the two. How was the bottom image lit?

Best of luck for Wk4, we'll find out what it is in a minute!

This is a really creative use of the theme and very well executed. I am new on here and look forward to seeing more of your work. Did you know that the stylus can also be referred to as a Style. So there's an extra use of the theme on your part. Nice one.

Hi Dawn,

Great Wk 3 image. Love the stacking going on and also love the vintage effect on the vinyl. Sarah's edit has joined the top two perfectly and looking at the original it just needed something to knit the two. How was the bottom image lit?

Best of luck for Wk4, we'll find out what it is in a minute!

Hiya Caleb,

Thanks for the comments and feedback. I agree Sarah's edit has knitted the top two images nicely.

To light the bottom image I used a standard table light, the hallogen type, and held it in a position to get the 'rainbow' effect on the LP.

Looking forward now to finding out what the theme is for week 4.

Cheers

Hi Dawn
Week 1 : Prefer the second shot on this it seemed to focus me with the glasses on the word accommodation nice take on the theme. DOF just right in my view.

Week 2 : Can see where you are going with this one but vignetting seems a bit to harsh for me but thats just my view the direction in the new age is a good take on the theme.

Week 3 : Brill on the theme I think the crop a bit to tight by a midges but love the photo. Good work. :clap:

Regards
Carl

Hiya Carl

Thanks for the comments an the three themes images. I'm amazed at the differences of opinion about the two images.

On the second week I can see what you mean about the vignetting, but I decided to go with that amount to add to the eerieness.

Thanks again for your comments.

Cheers

Lovely vibrant colours Dawn, and really interesting composition :) I really like the flare on the middle disc, for me it really brings the image to life
M
x

This is a really creative use of the theme and very well executed. I am new on here and look forward to seeing more of your work. Did you know that the stylus can also be referred to as a Style. So there's an extra use of the theme on your part. Nice one.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your kind words and comments. Welcome to TP, I am sure you will learn a lot from this forum, as have I over the past year.

Yes, i was aware that the stylus is also referred to a style, that was one of the reasons I included it in the bottom image.

I hope I can maintain this standard of creativity, as each week has really got my creative mind working.

Cheers

Lovely vibrant colours Dawn, and really interesting composition :) I really like the flare on the middle disc, for me it really brings the image to life
M
x

Hi Maria,

Thanks for your comments, I thought the flare on the middle added a nice touch and as you said brings the image to life.

Cheers

What a fantastic image and what a great idea! Mine seems really pedestrian and dull by comparison.

Well done you (y)

Hiya Tina,

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

I have just popped over to take a look at your week three image and left feedback, but by know means 'padestrian', although I wouldn't mind walking around with that lovely leather jacket of yours ;) When the family have finished wearing it, do you fancy passing it on to me, please :D

Cheers

TOTALLY LOVE IT, very well worked and created. Exceptional creativity.

Something to aim for.

TOTALLY LOVE IT, very well worked and created. Exceptional creativity.

Something to aim for.

Hiya Tony

Thanks, that is some praise, and much appreciated.

Cheers

Just to say I have been watching your progress on this and will continue to do so .

A very nice start to your 52..(y)

Regards

MD(y)

Back