weekly Drodd's Photo52 for 2011 - Week 51, 52 and bonus: Light, Glass, Nature (post 1545)

Dawn have you looked at Gimp? I don't know all about it but it is available free and seems effective?

I rather like your 2nd rose in colour. I feel image #1 is only a partial piece, as someone commented - a background for a perfume ad :D

Hiya Tina,

Thanks for the tip and the comments. I've not heard of Gimp, but will look into it to see what it has to offer.

Thanks for the comment about the photos. The 2nd rose in colour (yellow) is an original of the photo with a bit of processing, but is the closest I could get to the real flower colour. Today I showed image #1 to a friend at work who has a degree in art, and he said that it was very Cubism in style (something I had never heard of) and showed me an example of one of Pablo Picasso images, wow I couldn't believe my eyes. Now I have an interest in learning more about art too.

I like the idea of the image being the background for a perfume ad, I wonder if there are any companies out there who would find it appealing to them? :thinking:

Cheers again for your comments, much appreciate.

Dawn :)

Hi Dawn.
I like abstract, I much prefer that image to the 2nd one, although the 2nd one is great in it's own right, the first one does it for me. Personal taste. A lot of care seems to have gone into it. Great one.

Thanks for your welcoming comments which I have replied to on my thread. Can i just pester you about the spreadsheet- which incidentally is great and good of you to set up. I put my details in but the link I pasted in is the full URL rather than my user name that appears in other peoples. I thought I was a dab hand at excel but I obviously linked it wrong. I know you are busy with 365 and other stuff but if you could advise at sometime it would be appreciated. Thanks Dawn.

Martin :)

Hi Dawn.
I like abstract, I much prefer that image to the 2nd one, although the 2nd one is great in it's own right, the first one does it for me. Personal taste. A lot of care seems to have gone into it. Great one.

Thanks for your welcoming comments which I have replied to on my thread. Can i just pester you about the spreadsheet- which incidentally is great and good of you to set up. I put my details in but the link I pasted in is the full URL rather than my user name that appears in other peoples. I thought I was a dab hand at excel but I obviously linked it wrong. I know you are busy with 365 and other stuff but if you could advise at sometime it would be appreciated. Thanks Dawn.

Martin :)

Hiya Martin,

Thanks for your feedback about both photos. I'm glad you like the abstract one :) I realise it is not to eveyones taste, afterall abstract art is a personal choice. I have a pretty much open and varied view of art and as such will express such throught my 52 and 365 projects.

Regards the spreadsheet, no worries, any questions you have please ask and thanks for your comments. I will attend to the sheet and sort out your link for you. Basically, in google docs, I find copying the link from the one above and changing the number of your thread link is the easiest, then just change the "label" to the relevant name. Once I have corrected the link it should be fine, all you will need to do is indicate which weeks you have completed by typing an 'x' in the relevant week column. To save your edits, press Ctrl+S. If you wish, you may also save a copy of the file to your desktop (or where you prefer) for your own record of those threads you have replied to. I have done this to make it easier for me to see who I still need to reply to.

Once again well done on catching up, and good luck with the rest of your 52, I look forward to watching your progress.

Cheers

Oooooh missed these Dawn, nice take on the open theme, like the one thats a few combined, nice compilation :clap: 2nd one looks like a paper rose, reminds me of a song Paper Roses . good stuff (y)

Last edited:
Hi Dawn.

My, what a busy thread :clap:

I like your idea of open flowers, but the first two do not do it for me I'm afraid. The abstract makes my eyes go funny :eek: The black and white seems a bit harsh with the highlights just a touch too bright.

The yellow one is a different matter altogether though. I love this one. Only way that I would change it is to try a tight crop and lose all the black background. Still looks good as it is but may be worth looking at the alternative crop?

Andy

Oooooh missed these Dawn, nice take on the open theme, like the one thats a few combined, nice compilation :clap: 2nd one looks like a paper rose, reminds me of a song Paper Roses . good stuff (y)

Hiya Dave,

Thanks for popping past for a peek and leaving feedback. I always appreciate your comments and critique. Glad you like the abstract one, I must say the more I look at it the more I love it. Looking at the 2nd with your impression of a 'paper rose' I can see that now, but believe me it is real. These roses have been a true inspiration. They have been so versitile and I have really enjoyed photographing them. I now have a lovely collection of rose photos that form a lovely base for post processing.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Dawn.

My, what a busy thread :clap:

I like your idea of open flowers, but the first two do not do it for me I'm afraid. The abstract makes my eyes go funny :eek: The black and white seems a bit harsh with the highlights just a touch too bright.

The yellow one is a different matter altogether though. I love this one. Only way that I would change it is to try a tight crop and lose all the black background. Still looks good as it is but may be worth looking at the alternative crop?

Andy

Hiya Andy,

Indeed tis a busy thread, and I am so appreciative of all the feedback, tips and comments folk have left. I have learned so much from the first 4 weeks and look forward to learning more.

Thanks for your critique of the images and thoughts of my take on the theme. Appreciate that the abstract is a bit too busy for some people, but then there are some who really like the image. It has been interesting to see the feedback about the variations of the same image portrayed in different styles.

At first I found the yellow a very difficult colour to capture, but I think I have now 'mastered' the art of how best to shoot pics that have yellow in them. Last night I took some photos of tulips agains a yellow background, which I will be adding to my 365, and I am quite happy with the way I caught the correct tones and colours.

I will look at a crop of the image to reduce the black background. I only expanded the black because of a previous comment. So once again a differece of views, but all is taken into consideration.

Thanks again for your comments.

Cheers

Hi MD

Thanks for the compliment and I hope I can maintain the level of standard I have set for myself.

I feel like I have a fan now :) and I look forward to any comments or feedback you may have on any of my images.

Cheers

Hi Dawn I have just looked at week 4. ;) Not bad to be honest. BUT if it was me I would leave more room around the rose or crop in tight so only the rose fills the image.

Your colour version would be my favorite but it needs a few little tweaks.. The levels need pulling in on both sides and it needs a slight tweak on the saturation.

This is what I mean. " Hope you dont mind !!!"

Dawn_copy.jpg

Regards Dave(y)

Hi Dawn I have just looked at week 4. ;) Not bad to be honest. BUT if it was me I would leave more room around the rose or crop in tight so only the rose fills the image.

Your colour version would be my favorite but it needs a few little tweaks.. The levels need pulling in on both sides and it needs a slight tweak on the saturation.

This is what I mean. " Hope you dont mind !!!"

Dawn_copy.jpg

Regards Dave(y)

Hiya Dave,

Thanks for the edit and feedback. I agree about the crop and have had a bit of a play with the image. A tight crop does look good, even to the point where I cropped it to a point where there was no black background.

I hadn't had a play with the levels, although I had experimented with the saturation levels and got it similar to your edit (btw I don't mind you posting an edit, it gives me a good idea of what you are explaining (y)). The reason I went for the less saturated option for posting was that I was trying to give a close example of the true colour of the rose that I was working with, but I can appreciate the technique of post processing, and normally I would have gone for the bit of saturation, rather than the true colour. OMG post processing software can work wonders :D

Thanks again for your time in doing the edit and leaving feedback, much appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Dawn

Thanks for the spreadsheet admin and the tutorial. I gave it a go changing the post it links to and it worked. Tutorial spot on.

You.re a star :)

Thanks

Martin

Hi Dawn

Thanks for the spreadsheet admin and the tutorial. I gave it a go changing the post it links to and it worked. Tutorial spot on.

You.re a star :)

Thanks

Martin

Hiya Martin,

No probs, thanks.

Hi Dawn, just read your response to my feedback and I'm so glad to have made your day! I honestly could imagine your image being in my vogue magazine one day!!!!

I wonder what next weeks theme will be? Look forward to seeing what you come ip with:) xx

Hi Dawn, just read your response to my feedback and I'm so glad to have made your day! I honestly could imagine your image being in my vogue magazine one day!!!!

I wonder what next weeks theme will be? Look forward to seeing what you come ip with:) xx

Hiya Laura,

Much appreciated :) Who knows, hopefully one day you will see my images in one of the mags :D

I have made an appointment today with Business Enterprise; seeing them next week regards starting my own business. Guess I have to start somewhere, have some great ideas.

Now I can't wait for tomorrow to find out the next theme. Hopefully I will be able to maintain the standard I have set myself.

Have a fab weekend.

Cheers

Hey Dawn!

Your photo for this week is fantastic and very inspiring and creative! I love what you have done and I would like to see it as picture at my wall! I have to try to do something like that!
Can't wait to see what will be your next photo!

Rayna

Hey Dawn!

Your photo for this week is fantastic and very inspiring and creative! I love what you have done and I would like to see it as picture at my wall! I have to try to do something like that!
Can't wait to see what will be your next photo!

Rayna

Hiya Rayna,

Thank you for the praise and comments about my photos for this week, I am glad you like.

Flowers make fantastic subjects and one can get very creative with them.

I look forward to the next theme and hopefully I can come up with something creative, once again.

Cheers

Hiya Dawn,

Week 4 - not keen on the abstract one, nothing wrong with it but for me its just a bit too busy. The single rose though is lovely, I especially like the texture on the petals.

Best of luck for wk 5 (y) PS added you as a contact on flickr.

Hiya Dawn,

Week 4 - not keen on the abstract one, nothing wrong with it but for me its just a bit too busy. The single rose though is lovely, I especially like the texture on the petals.

Best of luck for wk 5 (y) PS added you as a contact on flickr.

Hiya Caleb,

Thanks for your comments. It has been interesting to receive feedback about the rose photos, especially the abstract one.

Thanks too for the best wishes for week 5, same to you. I will check flickr now and accept your contact request.

Good luck to you too for your week 5.

Cheers

I like week 3.
The second one for me on week 4, the first is too busy for me

Hiya Neil,

Thanks for the feedback and comments, much appreciated.

Cheers

I really like the colour and sharpness of the rose and i think against a black background it really stands out. If it was cropped so tightly that the rose filled the frame i'm not sure it would have the same impact. Flowers are great subjects to photograph, i'm just starting to appreciate how difficult it is to get right but you have done a great job (y)

I really like the colour and sharpness of the rose and i think against a black background it really stands out. If it was cropped so tightly that the rose filled the frame i'm not sure it would have the same impact. Flowers are great subjects to photograph, i'm just starting to appreciate how difficult it is to get right but you have done a great job (y)

Hiya,

Thanks for your comments and compliments. I agree about the tight crop that it would loose some of the impact.

Indeed flowers are a great subject to photograph and I love taking pics of them and applying some creativity.

Cheers

Hi Dawn,

Well here I am as promised. Just had look through all 4 and they all work very well, especially 'Style' excellent image and I imagine a pain to light. The roses are both lovely and I'm all for experimentation but the abstract is a little too busy. The 2nd one though is a triumph, works beautifully.

Well done for taking on the challenge and I'll be keeping an eye on it from now on.

Andy

Hi Dawn,

Well here I am as promised. Just had look through all 4 and they all work very well, especially 'Style' excellent image and I imagine a pain to light. The roses are both lovely and I'm all for experimentation but the abstract is a little too busy. The 2nd one though is a triumph, works beautifully.

Well done for taking on the challenge and I'll be keeping an eye on it from now on.

Andy

Hiya Andy,

Thanks for taking the time to pop past, your comments are always much appreciated.

Indeed 'Style' was quite a challenge in itself from various technical aspects and yes the lighting was a test in itself, and I learned a lot about lighting in putting this image together.

The abstract rose was very much an experiment, and something I am going to work on some more as I really enjoyed using my creative mind in putting that together. Many have said that it is too busy, so I am going to look at alternative combinations to come up with an image that doesn't tax the eyes too much.

I have really got a busy schedule this year, as not only am I doing this 52, but also started a personal 365 at the beginning of the year. With the latter, I have managed to take a photo each day, the only thing I am lagging on is processing the images and uploading (but I plan on doing a catch-up this weekend) - not hosting the 365 on TP, but if you were interested in looking at it you will find it on my Flickr, link in signature.

Thanks again for you positive feedback and I look forward to following my progress and any comments you have on future photos I post.

Cheers

Wow Dawn your rose shots are amazing :clap: - I love they way you have manipulated them - I think if I had to choose I would go with the first one - the effect is so unusual.

Wow Dawn your rose shots are amazing :clap: - I love they way you have manipulated them - I think if I had to choose I would go with the first one - the effect is so unusual.

Hiya Joan,

Thank you for the high praise, much appreciated and boosts my confidence :)

It has been interesting to gauge the feedback about all the photos, especially the abstract rose. The majority of likes appear to be from the lovely ladies here, although I have been impressed by the number of our gentlemen who have liked the photo too. I suppose I did create it with a very feminine mind at the fore, so I can understand the feedback.

Through doing this 52 I have found my comfort zone as far as processing is concerned. Although I do think about the composition and how the capture the right image in camera, using the best settings and lighting, so that I don't have to spend too much time processing.

Having said that, I have also come to realise that even the 'boo boo bin' pics can have their own uses :D, especially with the amazing software available to make them into something special with a bit of imagination and creativity.

Now I am patiently waiting for the next theme to be revealed ..... I hope we don't have to wait too long to find out.

Cheers

Hiya,

Well here we are into week 4 already :)

I have learned so much over the past 3 weeks and am absolutely loving this project. The feedback and comments have been very encouraging and inspiring and I have also gained so much valuable knowledge from same.

This weekend I have had a bit of time to work on my week 4, and even though I have a big image in mind I thought I would add these, seeing as the theme is OPEN this week.

I thought I would seize the opportunity to photograph the flowers that my son bought for me over the past few weeks, seeing as they have now opened, and to document their beauty.

Being of creative mind I have produced a bit of an abstract and a normal pic. So here goes:

Open Mind Abstract:

5382217047_9589366d75_b.jpg

Composed from 5 images of roses in the bouquet.

Open Rose:

5382216745_ede2aaa3a0_b.jpg

The rose that stood out the most. These are actually yellow roses, but as I found it so difficult to photograph the true colour I decided to experiment with a b&w conversion and bit of cross processing. Not sure if it works, but I like it.

I decided not to frame these, to maintain the openess of the image.

If I get time this week to produce the image I had in mind, I will post same later. However, I have so much catching up to do with my 365 so I am going to have to spend some time on that, as well as reply to other 52's here, so I have my work cut out for me :D.

Thanks for taking the time to look and all comment and critique are greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dawn

Off the two creative shots I like the second one the best it is pin sharp and looks great,,the first one is good almost has a material feel about it ...but once again the thought process wins again you are real good at this ideas lark :D

Off the two creative shots I like the second one the best it is pin sharp and looks great,,the first one is good almost has a material feel about it ...but once again the thought process wins again you are real good at this ideas lark :D

Hi James,

Thank you for your compliments and comments. I'd never thought of the first having a material feel about it, but I can see what you mean not that I look at the image with that in mind.

I am reallying enjoying thinking of ideas for these themes and also seeing the ideas people come up with for these themes too, there are some very creative and inspiring photos.

Cheers

Agree on how fast this year seems to be going, we'll be at Christmas in no time!

Like the concept of an open flower, the second shot stands out the most for me, like the B&W conversion a lot.

Cheers, Callum.

Hi Dawn,

Seems sundays are all about whizzing around the 52's :naughty:

I like the abstract shot, it's different & is not immediately recognisable a rose.

As someone has said, it has a hint of material look about it.

Mick

Hiya Mick,

Indeed, it does seem like Sundays are a busy day for for the Photo52. I am glad you like the abstract image, thanks for your comments on same.

Cheers

Love the open rise Dawn the textures you've got in that is fab another great shot I am following your thread with avid interest

Hiya Andrew,

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. I look forward to your comments on my future weeks too.

Cheers

Agree on how fast this year seems to be going, we'll be at Christmas in no time!

Like the concept of an open flower, the second shot stands out the most for me, like the B&W conversion a lot.

Cheers, Callum.

Hiya Callum,

Ssshhhhh, don't say the 'C' word too early :LOL: I'm still recovering from the last one :D

Thanks for the comments on the flower pics, much appreciated.

Cheers

Hey Dawn... gee gal, you're doing 52 AND a 365! Good on you hun.

Just read thru your thread and lots of great comments and advice too. I must say the STYLE shot so does it for me - that's just brill! I wouldn't have a clue how to do that. This is such a learning curve.

Now I know you're here you'll be tagged on my TP...

good going - keep it up!

<Love the white rose, it's like suede - can almost feel it :)

Hey Dawn... gee gal, you're doing 52 AND a 365! Good on you hun.

Just read thru your thread and lots of great comments and advice too. I must say the STYLE shot so does it for me - that's just brill! I wouldn't have a clue how to do that. This is such a learning curve.

Now I know you're here you'll be tagged on my TP...

good going - keep it up!

<Love the white rose, it's like suede - can almost feel it :)

Hiya,

Yep, two big challenges I have set myself this year (plus a couple of others too), so going to be a very busy bee :D Although, even though I am managing to take the photos each day, I don't always have the time to sort them and upload, so could do with setting aside some time to do that.

Thanks for you comments re the photos. The STYLE theme did take a while to do as I had so many different ideas, and the image for that one just evolved as I was working on the project. Basically it is 3 shots which I then arranged in a sort of triptych fashion and then did a bit of processing. Don't have any pics of how I set it up .... I didn't think of that at the time :bonk:

I like your analogy of the white rose and can see what you mean about the suede feel - thanks, that means a lot as it gives the image a sort of tactile impression too.

Now I have to come up with something for week 5, but it has been so hectic today, running around at my son's birthday party, and with it being his birthday tomorrow, not sure I will get much time then. So Tuesday may be the first opportunity I get to do some serious thinking of what to do for this weeks theme. Will hopefully come up with something creative.

Cheers

I love the first two that you posted.

The abstract, really catches my eye, and draws you in to the centre. When you find yourself curving back out again, following individual lines.

The 2nd is amazing you've made it look like paper.

(y) Love, love, love them both :)

I love the first two that you posted.

The abstract, really catches my eye, and draws you in to the centre. When you find yourself curving back out again, following individual lines.

The 2nd is amazing you've made it look like paper.

(y) Love, love, love them both :)

Hiya Sarah,

Thanks for the compliments and comments. I am glad you like both, especially the abstract image.

Now I am trying to get my week 5 ideas into some perspective. Should be able to spend some time on them tonight.

Cheers

Just to awkward I prefer the colour shot of the rose! Of the other two I would choose the single rose. I find the abstract rather fussy, and nothing grabs my eye. As Sonriendo says, the single rose looks like paper.

Of your other shots, New Broom is great. That has got to be my favourite of your shots. Hopefully, one day I will be able to see shots like that in my head:clap::clap:

Just to awkward I prefer the colour shot of the rose! Of the other two I would choose the single rose. I find the abstract rather fussy, and nothing grabs my eye. As Sonriendo says, the single rose looks like paper.

Of your other shots, New Broom is great. That has got to be my favourite of your shots. Hopefully, one day I will be able to see shots like that in my head:clap::clap:

Hiya Ian,

Thank you for your comments, and you are not being awkward at all. I like to hear the opinion of everyone, which have all been quite varied so far, and that is good :)

It is interesting to see how some find the abstract image lovely and others find it busy, different strokes for different folks I suppose, that is what makes us all unique individuals.

I like how some people relate the white rose to looking like paper, gives it an interesting spin. Co-incidentally that rose is the one out of the bunch that is still looking good, the others are all starting to wilt now. I'm surprised at how long they have survived, over two weeks now so money well spent.

Thanks too for your comments about the NEW theme. I have thoroughly enjoyed working on each image and opening up my creative mind. I am sure you will soon find you are able to think of, see and create such images too.

Cheers

Hi,

Well here we are another week on, and what fun this has been so far. I am thoroughly enjoying this Photo52, and have learned much from all the c&c received - thanks to everyone.

This week I have had so many different ideas, and as such landed up taking many photos of various subjects for the HARD theme. So I decided to do a triptych style image for this with three of the photos all of resemble 'hard to swallow'.

The subjects I used were:

1. Hard Water (ice)

2. Hard to Believe (x-ray of my brother who swallowed a small lightbulb when he was a youngster ..... some 20+ years ago, my mum still refers to him as the light of her life :LOL:)

3. Hard Balls (marbles)

All of the above I would certainly find hard to swallow, not to mention the fact that I wouldn't want to try, not quite my idea of a 'treat' :LOL:

So here is Hard to Swallow:

5412060614_cf32aac806_b.jpg

Granted, the above three images would not normally be something I would combine into one for an image, but in the spirit of this theme I thought it would work well.

I have uploaded the individual photos to my flickr page, including a b&w of the above image if you wish to get a closer look at the individual images.

This has been a very interesting project, one which I have again enjoyed.

Any comments, thoughts, opinions, technical pointers, etc are always greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

great idea Dawn! Works really well and I like the way you have done something a bit different from the norm (just the way I like it!!)

I really like how the images fit together in a topical point of view, but colourwise they dont really seem to fit...my mind screams "I want something red!!" in the centre image (if that makes sense).

Plus....and this is just me and really is not meant to offend...but the xray just reminds me of Jackass The Movie. If no one reading this has seen it, just ignore my comment, you don't need to know....

(y) great stuff Dawn :) look forward to next week!

Dawn, I like the creativity if your week 5 and I love the story behind the lightbulb pic however I don't think it works with the other two images.
I wish I had your creativity...I don't know how you think these up but they are brilliant!

Back