Marts 52 for 2011 Week 20-Promise - Another Added

11 across is better..............

Nice idea, and well composed, however using a blue pen would have added a bit of colour to an otherwise nearly monotone image. Nice shot though (y)

Hiya Martin

Good boy :p

As for this weeks photo, I like the idea as some of these crosswords can be very hard. Pity you didn't get the 27 across in the shot, and the pen pointing to the word, that would have been great.

As has been mentioned about the crop, I agree.

Otherwise it is a nice clear shot.

Well done :clap:

Now I have to put my thinking cap on for this one, have been toying with some ideas today, but feel a bit lost for inspiration on this one so it may take me a day or two to come up with something.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hello Dawn.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting. @posiview was actually winding me up about 27 Across being "Hard". I could have put it in anyway, like you say with the pen pointing, but it only needs some anally retentive to point out that I have got 27 Across wrong :LOL:. The answers I did complete were right btw, but they were the only ones I got.
With regards the crop. Its a mistake I keep making. I am gonna have to start taking bigger framed shots and then cropping in PP. Learning slowly.

Martin :)

11 across is better..............

Nice idea, and well composed, however using a blue pen would have added a bit of colour to an otherwise nearly monotone image. Nice shot though (y)

I like the thinking.
It's comments like this that remind me to think longer about my shots.
Think about what could be better.

Welcome to the challenge...so many taking part I'm randomly flailing about trying to view them all

I love your shots and can add no more to the critique that you have had; Agree with Dawn that after seeing your submission for 'open' I was a little concerned what you might have posted for this week :LOL:

Welcome to the challenge...so many taking part I'm randomly flailing about trying to view them all

I love your shots and can add no more to the critique that you have had; Agree with Dawn that after seeing your submission for 'open' I was a little concerned what you might have posted for this week :LOL:

Thanks for dropping by and commenting. I did laugh when I saw what the theme was but wouldn't dare go there lol. not whilst I am still a newcomer here anyway
:)
Martin

A fab shot for week 5! Nice idea, great tones and I like the wood texture back drop aswell. :)

<snip>I did laugh when I saw what the theme was but wouldn't dare go there lol. not whilst I am still a newcomer here anyway
:)
Martin

Don't worry, I have done one especially for you tonight .... whether I post it is another story :LOL:

cheers

Dawn ;)

Last edited:
drodd said:
Don't worry, I have done one especially for you tonight .... whether I post it is another story :LOL:

cheers

Dawn ;)

I am ever so curious now Dawn. I just had a look for it (at 5.15 in the morning). I don't see it yet. Maybe you thought better of it lol

Why do we all keep nuts and bolts from discarded flat pack crap, when we know damn well we will never have a use for them

clutter by martinchargreaves, on Flickr

I found this weeks theme quite a challenge. I have messed about with lego scattered on the floor, footballs bursting out of a cupboard and allsorts. Finally decided upon the clutter that is my shed.

Why do we all keep nuts and bolts from discarded flat pack crap, when we know damn well we will never have a use for them

You've answered why you keep them by taking this shot :D Great idea.
Now why do the rest of us keep nuts and bolts from discarded flat packs? :thinking:

Hiya Martin,

Good question ..... I still wonder why I have all the nuts and bolts, etc, etc that were left over from the kitchen installation 6 years ago, although on the odd occasion I have found a need for a couple of the bolts.

You certainly have found a use for them for this theme, so well done.

There are quite a couple of cluttered cobwebs there too which adds to the image :D

Cheers

Never thought of keeping my nuts in a jar :D actually this is a really good shot yes the sky is slightly overexposed but the composition makes up for that ...well done

Hiya Martin,

Good question ..... I still wonder why I have all the nuts and bolts, etc, etc that were left over from the kitchen installation 6 years ago, although on the odd occasion I have found a need for a couple of the bolts.

You certainly have found a use for them for this theme, so well done.

There are quite a couple of cluttered cobwebs there too which adds to the image :D

Cheers

Hi Dawn,
I originally had the jar on a shelf to the left of the window, until I spotted the cobwebs- which said clutter to me. Nice that you appreciated them too

Martin:)

Hard: LOVED this shot! The depth of field is great and the way you composed the picture really worked well IMHO. Really solid picture.

Clutter: I try to avoid looking at the submission for the week before i have taken my own shot. Grrrr I stumbled across yours though lol. I like the idea, and was thinking of doing something similar myself (I.e. bolts). I think I found the bright background a little distracting. Did you explore taking the photo in a dark and dusty corner with cobwebs? Maybe on a shelf with wood in the background.

Thanks dubcat. No I didn't look at doing the shoot in a dark corner. As the only crit I have had has been the overexposed sky, I may do a reshoot before the week is out.

Martin

Great take on this week's theme Martin, and as already posted above, I think we can all relate to it! :D

As soon as I saw the theme for this week I was stumped. Delicate implies fragile, weak , etc. and I thought it might demand a close up of something.
I wondered how I would get on without one of those new fangle dslr thingies with a macro lens doodah. Anyhow, I got as close in as I could with my retro kit. lol.
Trouble is I can't decide which image to go with, they might both be as bad as each other but I like them both for different reasons. They were taken in the same shoot, just with different methods.

Which one goes........You decide

Saffron
Delicate to handle, delicate flavouring....

Saffron

Saffron

Last edited:
What is it with me! I've only just found out the word and you have defined and created images never mind posting!

The colours on #1 are warmer and so the saffron on it looks more saffrony! Not a good critique, apologies :confused:

No apologies needed Tina. Comment is comment and I appreciate you looking and I appreciate you commenting:). I prefer shot 1 but my other half preferred 2.

Didn't you know that the word is now announced at around 17.30 on a Saturday rather than on a Sunday

Martin

Hi Martin,

must say I prefer the layout of the saffron on image #2, but I do prefer the background colour of #1. Could maybe benefit from slightly better lighting (would make the strands a bit more 3 dimensional), but it's a great idea and very pleasing on the eye! (y)

Great idea. I prefer the first one as the colour says saffron. Nicely done.

Hiya Martin,

Well done on getting your week 7 posted so quickly. Both are fanastic photos.

Even though I like both, I prefer the first one because of the colour of background and the way the saffron are positioned makes it look like an abstract art. I t also looks neat and tidy and I like the title and font your have chosen in the top left. Oh yes and the border compliments the image well.

Like the second one too, but it would have been interesting to see that with a similar background to the first. It looks a lot busier and the very fine strands of saffron look more like hair. Not sure if it would have also benefited from a similar border to the first.

Considering how much saffron costs, and the amount you have displayed, I'd say you have quite a healthy supply of saffron - I take it you use it a lot in your cooking.

These would be great hanging on the wall in a dinning room or restaurant.

Well done (y)

Cheers

Little bit embarrassed that I didn't know what saffron looked like, you've taught me something today!

Sadly I don't have much to say on this week's theme but I'm enjoying your work, good effort!

David: Why not check out my Project52 attempt, or even my Flickr?

Hi Martin

really like the 1st Saffron shot ,background color suits it ,the frame works really well , the writing fits perfectly & its set out in a pleasing shape ,great shot (y)

The 2nd image seems a bit flat in comparison to the 1st ,sorry

Hi Martin,

must say I prefer the layout of the saffron on image #2, but I do prefer the background colour of #1. Could maybe benefit from slightly better lighting (would make the strands a bit more 3 dimensional), but it's a great idea and very pleasing on the eye! (y)

Thanks for stopping by Paul.
I agree with your comment regarding better lighting to give the strands some dimension. I was experimenting with back lighting with the saffron on a dish sitting on it, which as a consequence gave it a flat look.

Thanks

Martin

Back