weekly Drodd's Photo52 for 2011 - Week 51, 52 and bonus: Light, Glass, Nature (post 1545)

oooh Dawn, I really like this shot:)

It's kind of cluttered... clutter? (if that makes sense)
I love the collage effect, it's the kind of tihng I know I would love to try, but you know... fail miserably!
It is a bit busy for me, but then again, that is the subject!

oooh Dawn, I really like this shot:)

It's kind of cluttered... clutter? (if that makes sense)
I love the collage effect, it's the kind of tihng I know I would love to try, but you know... fail miserably!
It is a bit busy for me, but then again, that is the subject!

Hiya Dan,

Thanks ... that means a lot to me :) and indeed it makes sense what you say about cluttered clutter :D

This is only the 2nd collage I have done using photographs, and I have so enjoyed putting it together I think I will do more.

Indeed it is busy, to fit the theme, but then I supposed collages are generally cluttered in some respect.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hi Dawn,

Hard: I really enjoyed this photograph. For me the repetitive patterns either side of the X-ray balanced the image. I really want to do some triptych mages and so this was inspiring for me. Like others I think it would have been even better in black and white. Great job.

Clutter: i really didn't know what to think of this at first. I found the disorder confusing and a little stressful. However, that is when I realised that clutter causes exactly those emotions in me and so the picture was achieving it's aims very nicely! :)

Cheers,
Dub

Hi Dawn,

Hard: I really enjoyed this photograph. For me the repetitive patterns either side of the X-ray balanced the image. I really want to do some triptych mages and so this was inspiring for me. Like others I think it would have been even better in black and white. Great job.

Clutter: i really didn't know what to think of this at first. I found the disorder confusing and a little stressful. However, that is when I realised that clutter causes exactly those emotions in me and so the picture was achieving it's aims very nicely! :)

Cheers,
Dub

Hiya Dub,

Thank you for you comments, much appreciated.

I have also done week 5 as a b&w, but didn't post here but can be seen on my flickr page. It does work well as a b&w conversion.

I also appreciate your comments about week 6, and apologise if you found the disorder confusing and stressful. It is amazing the emotions one can invoke with an image and as you said that was achieved here, so thanks.

Cheers

Well done Dawn, you have managed to style your clutter well and make it look arty. This was causing me problems. So I cheated :LOL:

Well done Dawn, you have managed to style your clutter well and make it look arty. This was causing me problems. So I cheated :LOL:

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the compliment and comments, much appreciated.

I have just had a look at your lovely shot for this week, and I wouldn't call it cheating as it has a very natural clutter feel to it, well done!

Cheers

Nicely done Dawn I like the way you've combined the images together into a seemless montage well thought out . Just remember a cluttered desk is a sign of a genius

Hiya Andrew

Thanks for your comments and compliments .... what desk? I didn't know I had one for for all the clutter :LOL:

Cheers

Hiya Dawn,

Wow thats one very cluttered image :LOL: Like the collage effect, might have to borrow that for some other shots I'm doing. With Picasa and Picnik can you work with layers or does it just create a flattened image?

I like the way that you've processed each componant differently so the elements don't like alike - the one that springs to mind is the photos image. I also really like the discs in the corner, think it brightens up that portion of the image nicely. (y)

Hiya Dawn,

Wow thats one very cluttered image :LOL: Like the collage effect, might have to borrow that for some other shots I'm doing. With Picasa and Picnik can you work with layers or does it just create a flattened image?

I like the way that you've processed each componant differently so the elements don't like alike - the one that springs to mind is the photos image. I also really like the discs in the corner, think it brightens up that portion of the image nicely. (y)

Hiya Caleb,

Thanks for your constructive feedback. You are most welcome to 'borrow' the idea, afterall that is what this Photo52 should be about, sharing ideas with each other and learning.

Picasa and Picnik may be regarded as 'very basic' in some peoples eyes, especially those aufe with post-processing and with the latest upgrades of the more well known editing programs (of which I don't have) ..... so I make do with what I have and is available at min cost or free (nothing wrong with that!)

As for layers, I've not explored that avenue yet, because I just kinda go wit the flow at the mo (so will have to get back to you on this one as I learn).

I really appreciate your indepth analogy of my image re the elements, it shows me that you have done a thorough inspection of the image .... and I thank you for that. I have taken on board and registered your comments.

Cheers

Wow, took a while before I got my focus in on your 'cluttered'...

Very psychedelic and super dof to get all the shot (just about) in focus.

And, are they......black and white photographs ...:D

Cheers.

Wow, took a while before I got my focus in on your 'cluttered'...

Very psychedelic and super dof to get all the shot (just about) in focus.

And, are they......black and white photographs ...:D

Cheers.

Hiya Andy,

I like 'psychedlic' description! And thanks for you comments! much appreciated.

Indeed they are b&w photos .... although some look sepia (with age), they are all genuine b&w pics. Some of the photos in the 'memories' pic are more than 50 years old, so well preserved . Best is I have now captured them electronically to last even longer, for generations to come to enjoy.

Cheers

Nice use of pp there Dawn :) and a great take on the theme! Plenty of clutter going on alright!

The image of the cd's is slightly distracting as it stands out a tad too much (and draws my eyes towards it and away from everything else), but thats only a minor thing! look forward to next week!!

Nice use of pp there Dawn :) and a great take on the theme! Plenty of clutter going on alright!

The image of the cd's is slightly distracting as it stands out a tad too much (and draws my eyes towards it and away from everything else), but thats only a minor thing! look forward to next week!!

Hiya Paul,

Thanks for the comments and feedback, much appreciated.

Now that I look at the image again, I can see what you mean about the cds, so balance is something I will have to think about when I do another of these collages.

Cheers

Clutter - Great shot, love the composition and use of colour. Reminds me of walls with great graffiti. If I have any criticism it would be that the top left and right corners, there is a tiny section that lacks colour or texture (cards not covering all the shot, or blank part of card visible). Tiny point, but other than that, i love it.

Adie

Clutter - Great shot, love the composition and use of colour. Reminds me of walls with great graffiti. If I he any criticism it would be that the top left and right corners, there is a tiny section that lacks colour or texture (cards not covering all the shot, or blank part of card visible). Tiny point, but other than that, i love it.

Adie

Hiya Adie,

Thanks for the comments and feedback. Had to look at what you were referring to about the two corners and I see what you mean, the left looks dull because that is where the photos are under the cards and the right is the part of the cds. Something else I have to consider next time I do one of these collages.

Cheers

Hey Dawn

I dont mean to sound down on your images... I like a lot of them... I really do... and reading my last post again on here... I maybe was over critical... However I generally say it as I see it...

Im glad you think highly enough of me to look forward to what I have to say... I take that as a bit of a compliment to be honest!

I dont see a problem with you persuing a career in the field of image production based on the work on here so far... I wish you all the luck... I wish I was so brave but put any thoughts of being a pro out my head a long time ago... I need the security of a steady wage for my sanity!

Take care,

Mark

I like the way you layered the images with the slight sepia ones at the bottom then some black and white and colour shots on top I even see you slipped in a colour pop on in the cd's..;)

The image looks very very busy to me and " well very cluttered " :LOL: So job done...

MD(y)

Hey Dawn

I dont mean to sound down on your images... I like a lot of them... I really do... and reading my last post again on here... I maybe was over critical... However I generally say it as I see it...

Im glad you think highly enough of me to look forward to what I have to say... I take that as a bit of a compliment to be honest!

I dont see a problem with you persuing a career in the field of image production based on the work on here so far... I wish you all the luck... I wish I was so brave but put any thoughts of being a pro out my head a long time ago... I need the security of a steady wage for my sanity!

Take care,

Mark

Hiya Mark,

Thanks, I appreciate your kind words. I believe it is always better to say it as one sees it, so appreciate your comments.

Over the last year I have really enjoyed my photography hobby, which I have now decided to persue as more than just a hobby, but will still hold down my current job in Informatics until I feel confident enough and am established to go it alone. It is going to be hard work .... and I will have to put in a lot of hours, but I have to start somewhere (otherwise years from now I may kick myself for not trying).

Thanks for your support.

Cheers

I like the way you layered the images with the slight sepia ones at the bottom then some black and white and colour shots on top I even see you slipped in a colour pop on in the cd's..;)

The image looks very very busy to me and " well very cluttered " :LOL: So job done...

MD(y)

Hiya Dave

Thanks for your feedback and comments. With the photos I was originally tempted to convert them to b&w, but decided to keep them as they are because each photo has its own unique colour quality which added to the concept of time. Some of those photos are over 60 years old and I am impressed with how they have kept so well.

Indeed a very busy image and I was well chuffed when I saw what the theme was for this week because I could relate to it in so many ways :LOL:

Cheers

Hiya Mark,

Thanks, I appreciate your kind words. I believe it is always better to say it as one sees it, so appreciate your comments.

Over the last year I have really enjoyed my photography hobby, which I have now decided to persue as more than just a hobby, but will still hold down my current job in Informatics until I feel confident enough and am established to go it alone. It is going to be hard work .... and I will have to put in a lot of hours, but I have to start somewhere (otherwise years from now I may kick myself for not trying).

Thanks for your support.

Cheers

I soooo get where you are coming from. It would be great to earn a living doing this!!!! Maybe some day

Hey Dawn.

Wow that was quick up! The DOF in the image of the CDs throws me a little bit, but I think that just adds to the theme of the image nicely. I like :)

Callum.

Great 'clutter' photograph and I love your explanation.

Hiya Joan,

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated :)

Hey Dawn.

Wow that was quick up! The DOF in the image of the CDs throws me a little bit, but I think that just adds to the theme of the image nicely. I like :)

Callum.

Hiya Callum,

Thanks for your comments and appreciate your feedback about the CDs.

Cheers

Hi Dawn,

I like your idea - clutter generated through the years from all generations! ;)

I am just wondering what will be the result if you haven't made a collage but if you have spread all the photos, cards, cds, etc. and made a photo. Now the DOF is a bit.. distracting due to the fact that the photos are combined in a collage.

But again - love the idea and your spark of creativity!

Good job (y) !

Rayna

Hi Dawn,

I like your idea - clutter generated through the years from all generations! ;)

I am just wondering what will be the result if you haven't made a collage but if you have spread all the photos, cards, cds, etc. and made a photo. Now the DOF is a bit.. distracting due to the fact that the photos are combined in a collage.

But again - love the idea and your spark of creativity!

Good job (y) !

Rayna

Hiya Rayna,

Thanks, I like to view the collage as an interpretation of the theme with different images. Perhaps some of the detail has been lost in the 'clutter'. My alternative option was to create a quad image .... but I decided against it as it didn't have the same appeal of 'clutter' as it was too uniform.

Cheers

Last edited:
Woooohoooo! Week 7 theme is out!!!!

I love this, and can't believe how it all fits in with what idea I have for this week :D Something I have wanted to do for some time and just hope I can do the subject some justice :)

DELICATE here I come :p

Thanks to everyone for your comments and critique over the past 6 weeks, everything has been taken on board and the encouragement is so much appreciated.

Cheers

Hiya all,

I can't believe how we seem to be galloping through these week, but boy what a learning experience it is :)

Anyway, when I saw what the theme was for this week, I immediately knew what I was going to photograph. So I set up camera and display, took quite a few pics and wasn't entirely happy with them because I just couldn't get the lighting right. So off to bed I went and in the morning tried another shoot, using some daylight, but that was absolutely carp, so closed the curtains (neighbours must have thought I was mad :LOL:), did some more shots, but still not happy. The problem was with the gold paint and the white of the china, whatever light I used reflected and I just wasn't happy. So left it again, to think some more. Finally tonight (after yet another failed attempt in the afternoon), I finally did it.

Not only was it the lighting that was bugging me, but eureka! I realised it was the arrangement that was getting to me too. So a quick reshuffle of positioning for composition and doing acrobatics with lighting I finally had a couple of photos that I was pleased with.

But now the dilemma ..... I can't make my mind up which of the two I like. One has quite a shallow DOF and the other more in focus (although front focus slightly fading to the back). Also can't decide which frame I like.

So any ideas from you helpful people would be very much appreciated. As I always say, any comments or crit is always greatly welcomed as it all adds to my learning.

This week I also decided to do a photograph, as opposed to a compilation of images.

The subject is a China tea set that must be over 100 years old. It is a family heirloom which was my great grandmothers, passed to my grandmother, then to my father and finally to me. It is such a delicate piece and is so light and the paintwork very delicate too (some of which has chipped off) so there will be flaws. Unfortunately, over the years it has seen a few mishaps, so there are 2 saucers that are cracked (which I didn't include in the pic) and also one of the lids is missing in action and the other badly cracked so I left the creamer and sugar lids off (another thing that was bugging me when I was composing the image initially).

Even though I had the idea immediately, it has taken some time to work on this one. I'm just glad that I stuck with it and didn't just can the idea and find something else. So for that I give myself a pat on the back :D

This week's theme has taught me to stand back and think about what I am doing wrong, take my time and not rush things, different techniques with lighting, experiment with various arrangements for composition and play around with camera settings to see the various results.

So without further ado, here is my contribution to week 7 - Delicate:

Delicate 1:

5443600618_a43f920e9f_b.jpg

Delicate 2:

5442997325_9a35071f64_b.jpg

Oh yes, I thought this fit well with the week too, considering that it is the Chinese New Year (even though it is a Japanese tea set, made of china) :D

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Fantastic shots Dawn - both of them! Love the setup and the black background. Gorgeous cups too! If I had to pick i would go for the second but i think i like them both equally really.

Dawn, brilliant shots... The composition is beautiful, and the black background sets it off perfectly - spot on! (y) I agree with dubcat, I think I prefer the light in #2! WELL DONE! :clap:

Fantastic shots Dawn - both of them! Love the setup and the black background. Gorgeous cups too! If I had to pick i would go for the second but i think i like them both equally really.

Dawn, brilliant shots... The composition is beautiful, and the black background sets it off perfectly - spot on! (y) I agree with dubcat, I think I prefer the light in #2! WELL DONE! :clap:

Lovely shot! Definitely #2 for me as well, the lighting and the reduced DOF does it for me (y)

Hiya Dubcat, Sanna and Mark,

Thanks for the kind words and feedback.

It looks like #2 is the preferred option, even though both are liked. This actually turned out to be quite a delicate challenge to execute but the more I look at them both the more I am pleased with the results.

Now to wait for week 8 theme. But in the meantime I have loads of visiting to do of other peeps threads and catch up on comments and my further learning experience.

Cheers

Hi Dawn, I finally found your thread. Thanks for taking the time out so often to comment on my pictures, really appreciate it. Now it's my turn :)

I prefer Delicate 1; sure it's not as artsy as Delicate 2 but to me all of the subjects apply to the theme, not just the first cup. The perspective is lovely, as is the framing and it's a very intelligent take on the theme, congrats.

David: Why not check out my Project52 attempt, or even my Flickr?

Hi Dawn
Really enjoying your 52 so far. your second photo for open is my favourite of the bunch.
I also prefer the second image for clutter. It's probably just me or maybe the actual colour of the set but the first image looks very slightly too warm. (still a great photo though)! (y)

I really can't decide on my favourite!

At a push I've go for #1, the focus and dof is great, and the border is a winner.

I know you mentioned the lighting, but, for me, there's a tiny bit too much light on the left had side of the front cup, and possibly the back right cup.

I have no external lighting or experience of lighting so you're done much better than I could.

Now, where's my bowling ball...;)

Cheers.

dawn....simple put..i love the DOF of #2..but the warmer richer colour in #1... (y)

now to find something i can photoagraph... that's 'delicate'....that i won't break... got it!... the mother in law's xmas present.... :naughty:

Hi Dawn

Love the subject and your composition is great...or should the creamer face the pot?

I think your lighting problem might have been exacerbated by the black background as that is acting to flatten the light, would the shot have been better with a light through diffusing layer up through the set? I'm trying to think how to emphasise the fine china in the shot. In life the light seem to make fine chins glow as the light bounces around inside...

I much prefer the light in #2 and the DOF emphasises the fragility and fading of the set as time passes.

Back