weekly Drodd's Photo52 for 2011 - Week 51, 52 and bonus: Light, Glass, Nature (post 1545)

Hi Dawn, yes that helps, I havn't got round to playing with picnic yet, I realize now that I must have overlooked the add text feature in photoscape, I ended up using a speech bubble, which really ruined the pic. I will have ago in picnic at some point. Thanks Again. (y)

Hiya Michael,

You are welcome (y)

I hope your edit works out, would like to see the pic when you do it.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hi Dawn, i trust you are enjoying your holiday. I didn't expect to see any activity from you today as i thought you were gonna be incommunicado in respect of internet. You have obviously sorted that. I saw your Wrong creation a couple of days ago but couldn't appreciate it fully on my phone. What a great montage, and a cool idea. Each of the pics though leave themselves open to more risque captions.:naughty:
As I have come to expect from your 52, great work and something different from you again .
Nice one, enjoy your break :clap::)

Hi Dawn, i trust you are enjoying your holiday. I didn't expect to see any activity from you today as i thought you were gonna be incommunicado in respect of internet. You have obviously sorted that. I saw your Wrong creation a couple of days ago but couldn't appreciate it fully on my phone. What a great montage, and a cool idea. Each of the pics though leave themselves open to more risque captions.:naughty:
As I have come to expect from your 52, great work and something different from you again .
Nice one, enjoy your break :clap::)

Hiya Martin,

I am having an absolute blast on my jollies, thank you. Had the most relaxing and enjoyable day with my son ..... even taught him how to play cricket :D And was quite impressed with the results as he actually (after my guidance and tips) managed to hit every spin I delivered him ;)

Hey I am full of surprises, re the incommunicado, I decided to sign up to my mobile provider to use my mobile as a modem (how I managed to do all that in a short space of time was something else :LOL:). I didn't want to miss out on all the action here on the Photo52 (how sad is that :wacky:) .... but it is part of my life at the moment and will be till the end of the year .... so I had to make a plan (besides I would miss you guys and gals too much :D))

Thanks for your comments on my last week theme. Glad you enjoyed it and am not surprised that you would mention the more risqué bubbles that could be applied (actually I did have others in mind and was also in debate with myself as to whether to submit the 'original' photos, but decided the 'x-rated' were more appropriate for this family friendly forum ;))

Now I have to think about what to do for the new theme ...... have an idea ..... but not sure (yet again).

Thanks again

Cheers

Not sure I get the first image Dawn, for me cant see the 4 wrongs, LOL maybe Im not thinkin outside the box enough. but then again I cant read the bubbles, which may help

2nd image, fab spot well done on that :clap:

Last edited:
Not sure I get the first image Dawn, for me cant see the 4 wrongs, LOL maybe Im not thinkin outside the box enough.

2nd image, fab spot well done on that :clap:

Hiya Dave,

Thanks for the comments.

Can appreciate why you might not see the wrong in the first image (being the nature lover that your are), and it definitely takes some thinking outside of the box to see it.

But glad you like the second image.

BTW WRP is great at the mo, having a fab time :D

Cheers

I'm seeing a 'Drodd' range of greeting cards looking at these pictures!

Hiya Neil,

Wow, thanks for the kind words ...... that is quite a compliment, thank you ;)

I was only saying to a friend last year that I'd love to take photos for greeting cards etc.

Who knows .... maybe in the near future. Yesterday I did my second official tog shoot, which went very well ..... especially as portraits are not really something I have experience of .... but I'm quite pleased with the results.
;)

I'm on jollies at the mo and have taken loads more photos today .... I think I am getting my photography mojo back now :banana:

Now I just have to think of something for the new theme :thinking:

Cheers

Hiya all,

Well this has been quite a challenging week, not only from a 52 perspective but also from a personal one.

Had a fantastic few days away, then came home to all the hassles .... (nothing that I can't handle though :D).

Whilst away I caught up with what the new theme was .... and boy did I have a tough time trying to think of what to do for this week (think my brain had gone into 'silent' mode during the unwind period :LOL:)

Anywayz .... back in the land of the living (even though officially still on leave) and still trying to think of something for the theme .....

Then today my friend and her son came for a visit .... we had a game of badminton, then set up the garden chairs in the field in front of my house, charged our glasses with a stiff drink and got chatting about 'Paradox'. I presented to her the ideas I had conjured up (my friend being a doctor of philosophy is a help, although she challenged many of my ideas) however she really liked one (even though it was only an idea at the time of our discussion .... after a few G&T's .... well deserved I might add considering all the dilemmas I've had to deal with in the last 24 hours) I got a bit creative and produced the following:

Paradox:
5638921736_8ec8c57069_b.jpg
[/url] Paradox by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

This is a photo of a text message I created on my mobile phone (not the snazziest of phones .... but it does the job) and then a bit of creative processing ..... which I hope conveys the message :thinking:

I have a couple of other ideas for Paradox that I may still add, if I get the time and inspiration (after all I have taken photos .... just don't know if I feel inspired to do something with them .... must be the lazy leave feeling kicking in).

However ..... I still have to think of and post the 're-shoot' for this week (not sure which to do yet) but hopefully by the weekend I may have this one in the bag. (One of the challenges for myself at the start of the 52 was to do both when they came up .... so I have to do this).

Anyway .... at least I have at one image posted for this week ... which is something considering all.....

Granted it may not be to everyone's taste (as some of my images have been before) .... but hey .... it is a Paradox week :p

So on that note ......

I close my eyes so I can see :D

Cheers

Certainly fits the theme really well Dawn. Also looks really good, very nice colours and nicely framed. I think what would show it off more would be to show the original image before processing. Sounds strange but I know the effort you go to with pp and without seeing how it started it's hard to appreciate.

Certainly fits the theme really well Dawn. Also looks really good, very nice colours and nicely framed. I think what would show it off more would be to show the original image before processing. Sounds strange but I know the effort you go to with pp and without seeing how it started it's hard to appreciate.

Hiya Colin,

Thanks for the compliments .... glad you like it and think it fits the theme.

I can appreciate what you say about my post processing from the original .... and perhaps when I get this creative I should really post the original to show how I achieve the result .... so .... here is the original, unedited version (bar resizing to upload here):

5639086868_62a76e2210_b.jpg
[/url] Paradox-original by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

The end result is quite a far cry from the original, but that is what I really enjoy about my photography .... taking a simple photo and turning it into art.

Cheers

I was right!
Really shows the work you put into the image, very well done.

Thanks Colin, actually it didn't take too long to process once I had the idea (which I think is the key).

Once the creative juices flow, it is a matter of a few clicks. The main thing is to open ones mind and just let the creative side within take control. Everyone has it in them .... they just need to open up to it.

Thanks for your kind words, much appreciated and encouraging (y)

Cheers

Hi, Dawn, you origional paradox is a well processed photograph; quite graphic in nature and the poster effect would look decent on a wall.

Bbbbbuuutttt, I do prefer your second take on paradox.

Nice and simple take on the theme and I like the paradoxical quote.

Cheers.

Really liked the idea :)

Will try n post up my take(s) on it tonight, just need to get creative... but with no work tomorrow! ;) late night here I come!

Might even go n take a pic for Wrong... hehe - confidence... nerve... confidence... All will be explained (if i take it).

Looking forward to the next pics you take/manipulate.

Hi Dawn, very well done with your paradox image. An excellent idea and I love the processing you have done with it too. I still can't think of what to do!

Thanks Michael, glad you like the processing .... I'm quite happy with that too. Hope you come up with an idea soon.

Brilliant idea Dawn, very creative (y)

Thanks Dave for the compliment .... I love being creative with the photos I take, especially a simple photo of a mobile phone or any other subject matter that needs a boost to make it into art.

Hi, Dawn, you origional paradox is a well processed photograph; quite graphic in nature and the poster effect would look decent on a wall.

Bbbbbuuutttt, I do prefer your second take on paradox.

Nice and simple take on the theme and I like the paradoxical quote.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, thanks for the comments and the compliment that this effect would look good on a wall (must say it does look like a poster :D)

I had a feeling you would prefer the second image I posted (which is the original of the original posted :LOL:). I wanted to keep the photo simple so that I could apply the creative effects. I find that if a photo is too busy it becomes a bit more tricky to apply the right effects.

Great image Dawn & showing the original shot shows how creative you've been with the processing

Thanks Andy for the comments .... it is thanks to Colin for suggesting I post the original photo (something I'm going to do in the future when I do such creative work with a photo .... so that it also gives people an idea of what can be achieved with a bit for creative thinking and hopefully some ideas to apply to their own photos to turn them into art).

Really liked the idea :)

Will try n post up my take(s) on it tonight, just need to get creative... but with no work tomorrow! ;) late night here I come!

Might even go n take a pic for Wrong... hehe - confidence... nerve... confidence... All will be explained (if i take it).

Looking forward to the next pics you take/manipulate.

Thanks ecniv, glad you like the idea. Look forward to seeing your post ..... and now I am now really intrigued to see this 'Wrong' photo you have planned :D

Once again everyone thanks for your c&c which is all very encouraging.

Now I have to think about which week I would like to re-shoot (any ideas from you all about which week you think I should do, please let me know).

Cheers

Hi Dawn

glad to hear you had a good break & enjoyed your togging , your mojo certainley seems to have come back(y)

Brilliant idea for Paradox & really made me chuckle....I 've actually had that text from my parents :LOL:

Your creative version would definately look good poster sized on a wall , great processing & love the color :clap:

Hi Dawn

glad to hear you had a good break & enjoyed your togging , your mojo certainley seems to have come back(y)

Brilliant idea for Paradox & really made me chuckle....I 've actually had that text from my parents :LOL:

Your creative version would definately look good poster sized on a wall , great processing & love the color :clap:

Hiya Lynne,

Thanks, had a great time away which I needed to prepare myself for all the things I had to deal with when I got back. Fridge/freezer not working and won't be fixed till next week Tuesday, the camper van failed it's MOT so loads of work to be done and will also only be ready next week. So in the meantime I am home-bound but have that is not such a bad thing as I have to do so much catching up here. Will be out and about this weekend locally taking photos :) oh and the garden is in need of serious attention ..... so have my work cut out for me before I venture off camping again later next week.

Thanks for the comments on the photo for this week, glad you like it. Andy also mentioned that it would look good as a poster, I might consider having it printed. I too liked the colour .... which is quite different from the original photo, but I thought that worked quite well for the image.

Cheers

Dawn... i love your paradox... the PP on that is ace... (y)

and as a poster... you should go for it.. i've thought about getting some of mine done up large... but its all time.. ?? and confidence that it will look good.. maybe when i see an offer..? (y)

sorry to hear about MOT :( .. mine wasn't due after all.. garage had sent a letter too early... least a noise i was hearing isn't as bad as i thought.. ie the wheels falling off..

Kev

Dawn... i love your paradox... the PP on that is ace... (y)

and as a poster... you should go for it.. i've thought about getting some of mine done up large... but its all time.. ?? and confidence that it will look good.. maybe when i see an offer..? (y)

sorry to hear about MOT :( .. mine wasn't due after all.. garage had sent a letter too early... least a noise i was hearing isn't as bad as i thought.. ie the wheels falling off..

Kev

Hiya Kev,

Thanks for the comments, glad you like the PP and as I said to Lynne, I think I may just print this one.

As for the message ..... it was one I was going to text you while I was away on jollies, but then I thought 'no, I'll keep it a surprise' :D

Don't you just hate it when MOT time comes around? In South Africa they don't have an MOT system .... one buys a car and can have it till it fall to bits ...perhaps that is why there are so many clapped out vehicles on the roads there resulting in high mortality rates on the roads. So having said that MOT is not such a bad thing ..... hmmmm think there is a paradox in that one :LOL:

Cheers

As for the message ..... it was one I was going to text you while I was away on jollies, but then I thought 'no, I'll keep it a surprise' :D

WHAT??!?!?? AHEM!!! .. that would have been mean... VERY mean!!!>.. i'd have spent days looking at it.. thinking... do i call..no wait..!! i got the message so i should..no wait... if i didn't... no.. but i did.. AND>???..

thats just MEAN!!! :naughty:

WHAT??!?!?? AHEM!!! .. that would have been mean... VERY mean!!!>.. i'd have spent days looking at it.. thinking... do i call..no wait..!! i got the message so i should..no wait... if i didn't... no.. but i did.. AND>???..

thats just MEAN!!! :naughty:

:LOL::LOL::LOL: sorry ..... had to throw that one in, after all it was you who was challenging me to be creative with my 'paradox', hell that one beat the original idea :naughty:

Anyhow .... I didn't so I'm not MEAN :p

Cheers

you were mean to suggest that you might have sent it... which puts me in more of a quandry than you not sending it than if you had..which you didn't.. and now i'm lost???? where's my map..?? .. oo yes.. grid refereences... feel safer already...

The paradox is ace (y)

Good Post processing, can't help thinking "what would it be like in green?"
:)

The paradox is ace (y)

Good Post processing, can't help thinking "what would it be like in green?"
:)

Hiya Emily

Thanks for popping past to comment, glad you like the image.

I suppose one could apply whatever colour takes their fancy to this one. I'll have a go later and see what it looks like in green.

Cheers

psst .. evening girl....word on the street is you got some decent photos today... is that right?..or did i waste £2.50 and a packet of fruit tella on duff info? ...

psst .. evening girl....word on the street is you got some decent photos today... is that right?..or did i waste £2.50 and a packet of fruit tella on duff info? ...

pssst .... evening .... don't say that too loud ... but yes got some fab photos today :D So your money not wasted .... watch out for the posts, you may just have to pop some corn for this one (y)

Cheers

psst... thats good girl... they'll be a pack of fruit tellas in the post for you as well... you know.. ;) ... but popping corn.. you got chickens as well..??

psst... thats good girl... they'll be a pack of fruit tellas in the post for you as well... you know.. ;) ... but popping corn.. you got chickens as well..??

Hey thanks .... love fruit tellas .... as for the chickens .... well that was one of my ideas for paradox .... but someone beat me to it :LOL:

BTW are you on a mission to corrupt my innocent Photo52? :LOL:

Cheers

Dang it! She's done it again...:clap: Never dull your images Dawn. Well dne, on theme and interesting to boot (y)

Hiya Tina

:D Thanks for the compliments, much appreciated. I try to maintain as highest standard as I can .... although their is always room for improvement.

I can't tell you how much I am enjoying this photo52 and look forward to finding out the new theme each week. It has been such a challenge at times and is definitely making me stretch my imagination (which is a good thing).

I've also noticed lately how much more attention I am paying to each shot that I take, thinking about the various settings, lighting conditions etc. It's all great fun.

I still haven't decided which week to do as a reshoot, so I may have to post it a little later when I find one.

Roll on week 17

Cheers

Dawn :

Hiya all,

I'm going to have to put a placeholder here for my re-shoot for week 16 as I have already got my week 17 done and dusted and being the 'not so organised person that I am' :LOL: I like to keep things tidy.......

So please bear with me .... this space will be filled soon......

I have just had to do a reshuffle

Week 17 will be posted next

Cheers

Hiya,

Eventually I have got around to my re-shoot for Week 16, which is sort of a summary of the previous weeks up to and including week 16 which I will explain ....

5687650845_8d28066f38_b.jpg
[/url] Week 16 re-shoot by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Way back in week 1 this was going to be the subject to use for Accommodation as this is our home from home when when go on our travels. But thinking of it now I would have probably started the photo52 by just taking a 'snap shot' of the van .... which is not what I wanted to do as I wanted to learn more about how to take a photo and also processing techniques.

So with this in mind .... I have a photo, which I like because it pretty much sums up our enjoyment of camping, the freedom we have and the application of cross-processing, I feel, doesn't pin it to one particular moment in time or season (which sort of ties in the Paradox part of this, i.e., the Twin Paradox).

In summary for me this opportunity has covered:

Week 1: Accommodation .... our home while away travelling (both accommodating as a means of travel and a place to live).

Week 2: New ... Jasper (the van) recently failed its MOT and had to have various things like a new back spring, new wiper blades, new timing belt and a full service, so in some respects is as good as new :D

Week 3: Style ... well besides it being a style of vehicle it is also a style of travel and is well styled inside.

Week 4: Open ... pack up and hit the 'open' road, that's the way we like to travel and discover the great outdoors. Also the door is open .... which wasn't planned but hey it fits :D

Week 5: Hard ... believe me, with no power steering this baby can be hard to drive, especially when maneuvering the single track lanes on some islands (but not as bad as some of the big RVs must find it)

Week 6: Clutter ... well having a 6 year old son who wants to pack everything he owns into a small van ... think that says it all :LOL:

Week 7: Delicate ... the way I feel some mornings after having sat outside in the fresh air the night before with a lovely bottle of wine :D and not to mention being pushed out of bed by the ever growing child :LOL:

Week 8: Chaos ... well as you will all know travelling at peak holiday season can be chaos on the roads, not to mention some of the more popular camping/holiday sites. Why I like to find the quieter more peaceful places.

Week 9: Finish ... once arrived at the destination the work is not finished until the camp is set up ... after that I am finished and can relax and enjoy my time.

Week 10: Trio ... Mum, Roo and Jasper (the van)

Week 11: Knowledge ... I have learned so much on our travels of various places and have got to meet and know so many new people. Also camping has provided me with the means to learn more about photography, getting me outside and practicing. I also have a manual in the van for chance I need to do a bit of mechanical work while out and about :D

Week 12: Moderation ... well I suppose this would be a moderate form of holiday, not luxurious but hey it is what we enjoy. Also camping calls for moderation in the sense that I have to make sure that we are safe. We also have to pack in moderation as there is not too much space in the van for taking a house full of things.

Week 13: Empty ... not a good thing to set off with an empty tank or empty gas bottle. Also need to check that batteries etc are charged. Need to empty rubbish and waste water containers. Jasper may be empty to start, but full once loaded up and ready to hit the road.

Week 14: Object ... and objective .... have to think of all the objects that we will need for the trip and the objective to visit new places and have a great time.

Week 15: Wrong ... there is nothing wrong with camping, but sometimes may land up taking a wrong turn whilst trying to find our destination (even with a TomTom) also have to be prepared for anything that might go wrong.

Week 16: ... I found a paradoxical saying that 'The swiftest traveler is he that goes afoot' .... in our case it is with Jasper :D There is also the Freedom paradox ... to be free we have to have laws that restrict our freedom. So even though we feel free ... there are still laws and rules to abide to. And finally .... not all those who wander are lost (J.R.R. Tokien) ;).

I have had such a great time putting this together, my inspiration found whilst on a two week break recently. In the days leading up to the holiday I had lost some of my motivation ... but it is fantastic what a bit of R&R can do for the spirit.

Now to get back the rest of the project ..... I will be uploading Week 18 'Power' tonight, which ties in with this post.

I hope you have enjoyed this as much as I have.

Thanks to all of you for your support so far in the project, all the feedback, comments and critique are a great help to my learning.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hiya,

Apologies for the confusion in the flow of my Photo52, but when I saw what the new theme was I had to act quickly...... for a number of reasons .....

When I returned home on Tuesday from a fantastic 4 day break away, the fridge/freezer had gone on the blink and I had to dispose of a fridge/freezer full of food (fortunately my insurance covers this and I am now waiting for the repair .... but because of the Bank Holidays etc it will only be Tuesday next week when it is fixed) .....

I have had to salvage what I can .... and how ironic that this theme should appear at this time!

Tempted I was to just 'chuck' everything out .... but thought I'd keep a few things back (perhaps my survival instincts kicking in having lived many years in South Africa and know all about making do with what one has and the lifespan of certain tropical fruits and veg .... they are amazing plants and have a very long shelf life) .... so here are some of them (taken in my very 'tropical' garden (or should that be 'JUNGLE' :LOL:) which needs serious attention whilst I am on annual leave.

Funny thing is ... yesterday I would have tended to the garden (and hence not had this tropical effect), but instead spent the whole afternoon in the woodlands ..... isn't it funny how time determines ones destiny?

All I can say is thanks that this theme has come up this week, it has fit in perfectly time wise, and makes me feel less guilty about not doing the garden :D

So here I present to you a tropical variety of fruits and vegetables which we enjoy:

5647057722_e31b5d1546_b.jpg
[/url]
Tropical by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

In this photo there are: a variety of nuts, naartjies, sweet potatoes, apples, kiwi, avocado, lemon, pineapple, coconut, butter nut, melon, pineapple

I would have included banana, but unfortunately they were a bit too ripe to put in the pic ;)

Hope you know the drill by now ...... any c&c greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tropical (minus the blue tint):
5648999675_4c7482a303_b.jpg

[/url] Tropical-2 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
:shake:

Fast and very topical....

Nice colours and obviously time was taken with the composition.

Removing the dandelion leaves would have reduced a minor distraction....

Also, I'm not sure about the dark vignetting, although it does it's job and focuses attention on the subject matter...

Cheers

:shake:

Fast and very topical....

Nice colours and obviously time was taken with the composition.

Removing the dandelion leaves would have reduced a minor distraction....

Also, I'm not sure about the dark vignetting, although it does it's job and focuses attention on the subject matter...

Cheers

Hiya Andy,

Thanks for the quick response and critique.

Indeed time was taken with the composition .... drat I had to take a couple of shots to get this one in the bag (the fruit and veg were not playing ball with me regards lighting :LOL:)

Glad you noticed the vignetting .... I used it to draw one into the subject, yet give it a bit of an 'in the jungle sort or appeal' with shading of the tall trees that surrounds.

As for the dandelion leaf ..... well I thought that would also add to the unkempt jungle effect.

Cheers

:clap:

Perfect image for the theme..(y) I dont mind the vignette myself but I can see a blue cast on the image.;)

With a few tweaks it will be a great shot.

All imho

Dave(y)

:clap:

Perfect image for the theme..(y) I dont mind the vignette myself but I can see a blue cast on the image.;)

With a few tweaks it will be a great shot.

All imho

Dave(y)

Hiya Dave,

Thanks for popping past, much appreciated.

Indeed I like the vignette ...... as for the blue cast .... I'll have to look at that again tomoz as I've had a bit too much vino tonight to distinguish same :LOL:

However glad you think that with a few tweeks it would be a great shot ..... work in progress (y)

Cheers

Back