weekly Drodd's Photo52 for 2011 - Week 51, 52 and bonus: Light, Glass, Nature (post 1545)

hey!!.. no peeking.. :naughty:

Now how can I not peek :LOL:

may i be the first to say great re-shoot for week 16... i love the positioning of the chairs and ..the names on the back of them..so sweeeet... love the van.. and the PP you did... (y)

Thank you, I am quite pleased with how it has all turned out and especially how it seems to fit all the past weeks. Can't imagine I will be able to do the same at week 52 (and don't even challenge me to that one .... I might be mad but not that mad) :LOL:

I'm actually thinking of having this photo printed and framed .... a lovely reminder of the fantastic times we have had on our travels (and hopefully many more with two big travels planned this year).

Cheers

Dawn :)

Now how can I not peek :LOL:

You will resist....no jedi mind tricks...so move along pls...:naughty:

I'm actually thinking of having this photo printed and framed .... a lovely reminder of the fantastic times we have had on our travels (and hopefully many more with two big travels planned this year).

you should..i have thought that a bout a few of mine.. wondering how the subway would look on canvas? (y)

Hiya everyone,

Wow these weeks seem to be flying past, and here we are into the summer months wooohooo! We should get some great outdoor shots over the coming months (look forward to seeing them all).

I had to return to work yesterday after having a great two week break (even though there were some things I had to deal with, like the fridge/freezer breaking down and then the camper van needing some repair work doing), despite all that I did manage to go camping for two fantastic long weekends. Which feature in this week and my re-shoot for week 16 (see post 675, link here http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=3614863&postcount=675)

So .... onto the 'power' week .... I had so many different ideas for this one but as I was camping when the theme was announced I decided to stick with that and took the photos whilst I was away. Only got round to sorting them last night and finished off tonight.

I've tried to cover a bit of everything here, so I hope you like at least one, if not all of them. I appreciate they won't all be to everyone's liking, however, as I always say, all feedback, critique and comments/compliments are welcome and all play a big part in my learning, so fire away :D

First up is a montage of some of the essential POWER items I need whilst on my travels:

5687973927_5703a3a653_b.jpg
[/url] Power by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Always have batteries (plus charger), solar light and wind-up light (both of which can also be charged/powered by the mains) and then the power lead for the electric hook-up.

2. Then I decided to get a bit creative and used the solar panel on the top of the solar light to create an abstract image (which you all know by now that I love to do :D):

5687974551_2eb431637d_b.jpg

[/url] Solar Power by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

3. Then I thought what the hell, lets get even more creative and take this photo:

original
5688564490_4e6b2dd07b.jpg

[/url] IMG_7226 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

and think of something a bit more appealing ... with this result:

5687974653_1865ddbbc0_b.jpg

[/url] The power of Love.JPG by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

4. And finally .... couldn't resist this one ...

5687974993_63372e224e_b.jpg

[/url] 22 Power Number by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

This last one is a photo of one of the pitch numbers at the campsite. Years ago I did some research into Numerology and the number 22 is one of the Power (Master) numbers and a highly charged version of the number 4 all the characteristics of which also apply to the number 22 (with the characteristics represented by number 4 being enhanced in the master number 22). It is a lucky number of completion, indicates firmness, mastery, POWER, and willpower. It represents practical idealism - practical genius, creator of the future, power on all levels, master of the material, philanthropy, universality, international direction, and service to mankind.

I chose to process it in black as this is the color of authority and power.

Once again I have thoroughly enjoyed putting this week's project together, and glad to have my inspiration back again .... so apologies if I have gone a bit OTT here, but I really found myself wrapped up in this week.

Now that I am up to date (including my week 16 re-shoot, which I hope you manage to pop past and view as I really like that one), I now have to catch up with what all of you have been up to before the next theme is released.

If you have got this far, thanks for taking the time and I look forward to hearing your thoughts/opinions of same.

Cheers

Last edited:
4. And finally .... couldn't resist this one ...

5687974993_63372e224e_b.jpg

[/URL]22 Power Number by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

i'll hold my hands up first... great collection here..and the PP shows you've spent some time thinking about the theme.. (y)

but the last shot... i immediately thought Catch 22 ... its ok.. shoot me now.. i deserve it.. :puke:

i'll hold my hands up first... great collection here..and the PP shows you've spent some time thinking about the theme.. (y)

but the last shot... i immediately thought Catch 22 ... its ok.. shoot me now.. i deserve it.. :puke:

Hiya Kev,

Thank you for the kind words, and yes I have spent a long time thinking about this theme, not that I didn't have the ideas, it was the time putting this all together.

I'm glad you immediately thought 'Catch 22' in the last picture .... I was hoping someone would point that one out as that was another idea I had associated with it, i.e., Catch-22 Theme of Power, however I thought the post had already reached its max length and didn't want to bog everyone down with a long storyboard. But now that you have mentioned it .... and if folk want to know more about that they can google it ..... I'm tired and off to bed now :p

Cheers

:puke:

Bet the members who stuggle with time really love you...:D

#1 and #4 for me.

#2, looks like an advertisment poster and well composed. B&W works well as does the framing.

#4, very Freudian...

As for #2, where's my headache tablets :nuts:

Cheers.

Naturally! More than one submission....Dawn you just make me tired ;)

I like the montage of #1 you've chosen 'my' colours for #2 so (y)

Not sure about #3 can't fault the presentation but in terms of appeal, I think I may be a :shake:

#4 My brain also went straight to Catch 22 before I read about the numerology and I still feel more comfortable with my reading, especially the treatment you have given the board means the grey world defined within the novel.

:puke:
Bet the members who stuggle with time really love you...:D
#1 and #4 for me.
#2, looks like an advertisment poster and well composed. B&W works well as does the framing.
#4, very Freudian...
As for #2, where's my headache tablets :nuts:
Cheers.

Hiya Andy,

I guess you meant #1 in the second comment, with ref to b&w

Thanks for the feedback, sorry #2 gave you a headache .... :p

Nice compositions and putting all the pics together. :)
Got m'powerlines just need to process (will try tonight) and I have a second pic to try too...
Oh finally got around to that wrong re-shoot... if you are still curious.

Thanks for the compliments. I will have a look at your re-shoot of wrong.

Naturally! More than one submission....Dawn you just make me tired ;)
I like the montage of #1 you've chosen 'my' colours for #2 so (y)
Not sure about #3 can't fault the presentation but in terms of appeal, I think I may be a :shake:
#4 My brain also went straight to Catch 22 before I read about the numerology and I still feel more comfortable with my reading, especially the treatment you have given the board means the grey world defined within the novel.

Hiya Tina,

Yep .... naturally :D Sorry I make you tired :p

Thanks for the comments, glad you like #2 .... my colours too (y)

As for #3 ... it was more a test to myself to see if I could take something as unappeal as the subject is (although useful) and be creative with it .... hence why I also included the text.

Guess with #4 I should have gone with the idea of Catch-22, although when I took the photo the idea of numerology was at the fore, so I went with that.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, much appreciated.

Cheers

OMG Dawn , what a cracking set of images ,though by now I should be used to your amazing imagination & ability to produce such great images with so little time spare.... I am just so :notworthy:

Your reshoot that covers so many of the themes is great , processed really well ...what more can I say :clap: Oh yes....looks like the ideal way to travel & love the name he has (y)

POWER.... crikey girl , you've put some work in there ! Love the montage for it's simplicity of color (lack of it I mean) (y)
The Power of love just shows your creative side to it's best as an electric hook up is def the nearest thing to love when camping :clap:

The arty shot of the solar panel is way out but works really well (piknic by any chance ?)

Must admit I'm still suffering from brain fade & Catch 22 didn't hit me till I read other's comments but love the processing & the words to explain it :clap:

ps....if you have any creative juice going spare I could still do with some :LOL:

OMG Dawn , what a cracking set of images ,though by now I should be used to your amazing imagination & ability to produce such great images with so little time spare.... I am just so :notworthy:

Your reshoot that covers so many of the themes is great , processed really well ...what more can I say :clap: Oh yes....looks like the ideal way to travel & love the name he has (y)

POWER.... crikey girl , you've put some work in there ! Love the montage for it's simplicity of color (lack of it I mean) (y)
The Power of love just shows your creative side to it's best as an electric hook up is def the nearest thing to love when camping :clap:

The arty shot of the solar panel is way out but works really well (piknic by any chance ?)

Must admit I'm still suffering from brain fade & Catch 22 didn't hit me till I read other's comments but love the processing & the words to explain it :clap:

ps....if you have any creative juice going spare I could still do with some :LOL:

Hiya Lynne,

Thank you for the compliments and high praise. Time is something that has not been on my side lately, but I have made the most of every opportunity (resulting in a lack of sleep which I hope to recoup this weekend)

I'm glad you like the re-shoot, that has to be one of my favourites so far (next to the Style week) mainly because it has such a special meaning for me and Reuben. BTW he loves the photo and wants me to print and frame it (the little chap has taste) Oh believe me Jasper is the ideal way to travel, and thanks about the name too .... it's a long story how the name came about, but it is just so fitting for the van ;) As I am into crystology, I keep a piece of Red Jasper in the van and have a piece of Amethyst on the keyring :D

With regards the montage, because each of the subjects were of different colour, I thought it best to process this in mono, which seems to work well.

Thanks and I appreciate your thoughts about the 'Power of Love' .... indeed electric hook-up is a power of love whilst camping ... after all without it I wouldn't be able to charge my camera batteries, netbook and Reuben's DVD player (hey Jasper may not be the king of Luxury but we know how to make him that :LOL:)

The electric hook-up shot, I also tried to personify the subject with a double enendre .... i.e., if you notice the 'male'/'female' connections are united.

Indeed Solar Power is 'way out' .... but you know what .... I like that one. I love the sun from dawn to dusk and in a way I put my feelings into this image.

With the last image .... that has another personal feel to it. Actually coming to think about it and reflecting on my project so far ... there is very much of ME in the photos/images, which I think makes this so much fun.

As for 'creative juices' .... if I had any spare I would gladly share, but I truly feel that each person has it in them .... just need to open your heart and mind to receive. Judging by your photos/images .... you already have them ;)

Thanks again for all your kind words.

Cheers

Hi Dawn, an excellent set of images! I really like your reshoot, a lovely photograph and I really like your processing on it. Now, onto power, all of them great, but I really like what you did to process the power of love, it's excellent. I also thought of catch 22, thanks for the insight into the numerology.(y)

Hi Dawn, an excellent set of images! I really like your reshoot, a lovely photograph and I really like your processing on it. Now, onto power, all of them great, but I really like what you did to process the power of love, it's excellent. I also thought of catch 22, thanks for the insight into the numerology.(y)

Hiya Michael,

Thank you ;) The more I look at the re-shoot photo, the more I like it :D

Wow another (y) for the 'Power of Love' .... a man after my own heart :D

Its's amazing how peeps have thought of 'catch 22' with the latter image. I had also taken a photo of '55' which I was going to use, but from a numerology point didn't have the same impact. Funny how things turn out :D

Cheers

OMG I have been so busy .... yet life is so slow here on TP

Or is it just me getting impatient for the announcement of the next theme :LOL:

Some great shots again this week Dawn. My favourite being the b&w montage.

Edit: stoopid phone

Operator

Last edited:
Some great shots again this week Dawn. My favourite being the b&w montage.

Edit: stoopid phone

Operator

Hiya Colin,

Thanks for the comments (and a double post too ... hell you must like them :p):LOL:

Cheers

Hiya,

I can't believe how quickly these weeks seem to be flying past .... it seems like just yesterday I was composing week 18 and doing the re-shoot for week 16, yet here I am again.

Thanks to Sarah for posting the new theme early this morning. I have had the day to myself (son has gone to Blackpool with his friend today), so I thought best make good use of the time (housework can wait until tomorrow :LOL:).

I have two photos for this theme ....

1. As some of you may know my fridge/freezer broke down at the start of my recent holidays. I took a photo of the empty F/F as I had I feeling it would come in useful, so even though this wasn't taken specifically for this theme (or was it :thinking:) I had an idea to use it. The F/F is divided into two main compartments, each divided by shelves and different compartments. When the F/F broke down I lost all the food and had to make an insurance claim, of which the money was divided between the repair and replacing some of the food. When I bought some food it then had to be divided into smaller portions to store in the various compartments.

So with all that said, here is my divided fridge/freezer (which during it's break-down, divided us from frozen/cold foods :LOL:):

5696112015_79d345562a_b.jpg

[/url] Divided-1 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

I decided to play around with this one to give it a more divided look, also applied the blue tint, which seemed better and cooler than the normal colour.

2. This second photo is a more natural looking pic, and is of our sunflower sprout. The leaves have divided and hopefully this little plant will grow big and strong with a beautiful flower. Perhaps same will feature later in the project if an appropriate theme arises.

At first we were not sure if the seeds would take as we have had them stored for some time. But when we returned from holiday we noticed this one had just popped its seed, and I notice today there is a second one on the way.

So here is our 'divided' sunflower sprout:

5696112365_c496539f8e_b.jpg

[/url] Divided-2 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Now that I am up-to-date, I can get on with other projects I am behind with. I need to sort out my photos for the DSLR bootcamp (which I haven't even looked at yet), not to mention how far behind I am with processing the photos for my in dire need 365.

As always .... any comments, critique etc will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking and for your support over the past weeks.

Cheers

dawn..i love the sunflower shoot. lovely composition and lighting. (y)

not sure about the F/F...it did something funny to my eyes...but i'm all for creativity so full marks on the theme..

personally i'm waiting til next week to get my divide... ;)

dawn..i love the sunflower shoot. lovely composition and lighting. (y)

not sure about the F/F...it did something funny to my eyes...but i'm all for creativity so full marks on the theme..

personally i'm waiting til next week to get my divide... ;)

Hiya Kev,

Thanks for the feedback, glad you like the sunflower shot ;)

The F/F is something different, as I usually like to do, but once again not a subject that makes the most pleasing image. Perhaps I should have just uploaded the unprocessed one :thinking:

Anyway there is still a week ahead and I may get some further ideas and post another.

Hope you have a fantastic holiday and look forward to seeing your photo when you get it done.

Cheers

Hi Dawn, looking good those pics. I am having to use the tp app on my phone,with a very small screen. Will comment properly when I can get my laptop working.

Hiya Michael,

Thanks for popping past and commenting. Hope you get your laptop working soon.

Cheers

Hi Dawn - I have only just got around to viewing your POWER and you already have DIVIDED sorted. Well done you:clap:

Of your POWER shots my faves have to be 3 and 4. No3 is a genius idea and well executed, Electric hook up did make me giggle - nice one. No4 is so cleverly processed . really really well done.
Of your DIVIDED shots I too prefer No2, i think maybe because it is a division that nature has created. As for the fridge. It looks really good in blue to add coolness so dont go thinking you should have left it white. Nice work all round Dawn, good luck with the catch up on your other projects.

Martin:)

Hiya Dawn, now I have managed to get this thing working, I can look properly.
I really like them both. Love the blue colouring on your ff shot, some excellent processing, I am just wondering though if it would be even better without the word divided being there? It seems to be pulling me away from the main image, but it's only minor. Now your sunflower seedling, I have around 40 of these currently sprouting! I like it, the dof works well indeed and I like the composition, if I''m going to picky, maybe remove the distraction from the top right hand corner.

Well done on getting these images so promptly. (y)

Hiya Dawn, now I have managed to get this thing working, I can look properly.
I really like them both. Love the blue colouring on your ff shot, some excellent processing, I am just wondering though if it would be even better without the word divided being there? It seems to be pulling me away from the main image, but it's only minor. Now your sunflower seedling, I have around 40 of these currently sprouting! I like it, the dof works well indeed and I like the composition, if I''m going to picky, maybe remove the distraction from the top right hand corner.

Well done on getting these images so promptly. (y)

Hiya Michael,

Thank you kindly, glad you like both and the blue colour of the ff shot. I take your point about the word, and normally I wouldn't add such to a photo in general, but for the theme I thought I would. It does look better without it though, I might change it here so as not to distract folk. Good point though (y)

As for the sunflower, you are lucky to have so many sprouting. We planted about 12, but with being away camping nobody was here to water them, so only 2 seem to have germinated, but then there is still time ... there may be others. Now that you mention it, I can see what you mean about the top right, it must be a sod of soil or leaf. I didn't notice it until you pointed it out, will sort that one (y)

I must say I am quite impressed with how the latter turned out because it was handheld, manual focus and crouched down in a very unsteady position :LOL: But at least I hope it shows that I can take a decent photo without dolling it up with post processing :D

I've actually taken some more shots tonight, whilst I wait for my child to return home from his first trip to Blackpool with friend+family. I might post them if they have come out okay.

What is the old saying ...... idle hands ..... etc ..... guess you get the jist with having kids of your own. I just wish they would arrive home now .... I have missed him and been so worried.

Anyway .... have enough to keep my mind occupied in the meanwhile.

Cheers

:shake:

OK, first of...stop it.....:D

I'm opting for #2, a nice, minimal approach. The very shallow DOF really emphasises the division.

I suspect I wouldn't have noticed the top right if it hadn't been me mentioned, but that and the top middle light spots are all I can comment on.

Cheers.

:shake:

OK, first of...stop it.....:D

I'm opting for #2, a nice, minimal approach. The very shallow DOF really emphasises the division.

I suspect I wouldn't have noticed the top right if it hadn't been me mentioned, but that and the top middle light spots are all I can comment on.

Cheers.

Hiya Andy

:LOL: ..... there is no stopping me :p

Yep I like #2 also and actually that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the theme earlier.

Looks like the shallow DOF hasn't worked as well (or maybe it has, but just needs some tidying up) .... sods law will have it (pardon the pun) .... it is a b*tch having to work with dirt :LOL: it is never in the right place.

Was thinking I might get bored now this week, but actually I have so many things to catch up on ..... now I just need to organise my mind and hopefully not get too distracted.

At least one good thing is I can sit back now and critique some of the other posts :D

BTW I think you are doing such a fantastic job with your Costa project and the progress you have made here on the Photo52 is amazing. I always look forward to seeing your photos.

Cheers

Hi Dawn

Only you could make a fridge freezer look so appealing :LOL: Love it , the color tint works really & I love the mirror image effect...great stuff ( as per usual):clap:

Great idea with the sunflower seedling as well...great DOF emphasises the divided (hmmm, think someone already said that !) & makes the background just perfect (y)

Hi Dawn

Only you could make a fridge freezer look so appealing :LOL: Love it , the color tint works really & I love the mirror image effect...great stuff ( as per usual):clap:

Great idea with the sunflower seedling as well...great DOF emphasises the divided (hmmm, think someone already said that !) & makes the background just perfect (y)

Hiya Lynne,

:LOL: thank you ... it's amazing the challenges I set for myself. I find it great fun taking a very uninspiring object and turning it into something of interest :D Having said that though, it does look better with food in it again :LOL:

The sunflower seedling ... well that was just the cherry on the top when I saw the theme this morning. Reuben (my son) and I are so proud that we have 2 sprouting now (all his had work is paying off) ... especially with the rains we are having of late. It has been so dry and with us being away camping I didn't think we would see any of them seed, but hopefully we will see at least 2 this year (and hopefully more).

Cheers

Nothing to add to above crits but I'm getting a little miffed...I log in to find out what the theme is and you have already POSTED!

OK, I had occasion to visit Anglesey this weekend but...

Hiya Tina,

Thanks for popping past, sorry to hear you are miffed :LOL: I have to keep on my toes otherwise I will fall way behind. I'm still trying to get through all the photos I took whilst away on holiday .... seems never ending.

Hope you had a great visit to Anglesey.

Cheers

well dawn you have got some right shoots there the power and divided are great shots i thing i like the sunflower best dof and the border just hit the right spot :clap::clap:

well dawn you have got some right shoots there the power and divided are great shots i thing i like the sunflower best dof and the border just hit the right spot :clap::clap:

Hiya Paul,

Thank you for the comments. I think the sunflower is the better of the two and glad you like the border (y)

Cheers

Hiya guys and gals

OK .... so here I am on a Monday night thinking I would be bored after having posted early for this weeks theme .... however I have been so busy processing photos from my holiday (some I will post to TP, but many you will be able to see on my Flickr .... link in sig).

However, yesterday nature presented a perfect 'Divided' shot for me which you can see here http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=319160 .... 'Divided Light' :D [sorry I am not posting the pic here, but as I have already created the thread I thought I would give you all a bit of a work out .... or as they say at my son's school 'wake-up, shake-up' :LOL:

It would also be great if you have the time to pop past my Flickr link to see some of my recent posts there too (although please bear with me as I am busy uploading them tonight).

Look forward to seeing all your shots for the theme.

Cheers

Back