Marts 52 for 2011 Week 20-Promise - Another Added

Hiya Martin,

Great set of nuts you have there, I have a match for them :) ......

in my tropical photo :LOL:

Kev could have done with those to go with his grass 'shirt' :LOL: oooops :p

Glad to see you got the whites sorted .... I nearly had to reach for my dg's to look at them :cool:

Like the way you have arranged them on the grass/straw (or is that Kev's grass 'shirt' that he was looking for) .... ok that's twice now ..... I'm :exit: before I get the :bat: :LOL:

Cheers

Dawn :)

Great shot for the theme Martin, good choice of background and brilliant re-edit.

Hi Martin, I really like this one, great take on the theme and a nicely composed shot. The revised version is definitely better , you've done really well to recover the detail in the whites and it makes for a much more appealing image. I feel a deeper DOF to bring the right hand coconut into focus would improve it.

Great shot (y)

Hi Martin, I really like this one, great take on the theme and a nicely composed shot. The revised version is definitely better , you've done really well to recover the detail in the whites and it makes for a much more appealing image. I feel a deeper DOF to bring the right hand coconut into focus would improve it.

Great shot (y)

Thanks Patrick for your valued comments. You are the first to mention to shallow focus on the second coconut, but now you mention it I can see it, and agree. Always looking to improve it gives me something to watch for when doing something similar

Cheers

Martin

Ovenden Moor Wind Farm

I went there today to see Wind Power. in addition I saw the effects of Fire Power too as is evident here. Ideally these wind turbines would look far better against a blue sky backdrop. However in the recent bright hot-spell this moor has been one of those subjected to fires, finally quelled by the last couple of days welcome rainfall.

This second one I processed to remind me when I look back on this 52, how dramatic and stark it felt up there. I was guided there by my Sat-Nav and as I drove higher up the moor it got mistier and mistier. Having parked up I made my way to the viewing area guided by the dramatic powerful whooshing of the blades, although i still couldn't see any turbines. The sound was the only confirmation that i was at the right place. The mist just hung on the moor and i was reminded of scenes from American Werewolf in London - seriously. All set to give it 5 more minutes then go home without any pics and the mist lifted enabling 20 or so shots before descending again.
It is hard to describe how it felt there. Really exhilarating I suppose with the lonlieness in all that open expanse accompanied by the soundtrack of those powerful rotors. A great experience that I intend to repeat.

Hiya Martin,

Wow some great shots, and I have seen the others on Flickr too, waiting for you to post your Power shot here (teeehee I guessed they were for this :D).

Sounds like you had quite an experience and well worth the wait, so well done to you :clap:

I have often seen some of these wind turbines going up to Appleby, but never stopped past to take a pic (mainly because I don't know which turnoff to take to them).

Actually there are quite a few round here, and have a few landscape shots with them in the distance, but would like to get closer to them some time.

Your second shot here is a defo for me ... it has such an eerie feel to it and the mono works well too.

Well done

Cheers

Thanks Dawn. Ideally in the mono one I wouldn't have wanted to put the nearest turbine so close to the centre of the pic but I really wanted to keep the road in, however the more I look at it, it grows on me.
If you get chance its really good to get up close and feel the power in the sound of them. According to the website the viewing area is 100yards from the nearest turbine but as it is open moor-land (well, the gate was open) you can get right beneath them.

Hi, Martin, #2 for me as well. B&W is suited here.

Really well composed. I like how the line of the road leads into the line of the turbines. I also like that you've left in the far right turbines.

#1 is a little busy for me but I do like the colours on the ground.

Cheers.

Hi Martin

great diea for the theme & totally love the Mono version , suits it so well especially after reading your account of being in the mist waiting for a werewolf to appear....:LOL: Love the way you caught the road both leading you into the 1st turbine then further out taking your eye to the ones in the distance...great work :clap:

I like the colors in the 1st version but , for me at least, it may have worked better without the building to the left ?

Might have to take a trip up there myself....do you have a postcode for a satnav ?

Hi Lynne thanks for your comments.
i appreciate what you say about the building to the left in the first shot but it is part of the turbine so i wanted to include the turbines and the melted bollard at the front. Just to put it into scale, that building as you describe it, is on the front turbine of the mono shot. It is a bit of an eyesore though. Maybe i could have started with the second turbine and still kept the fire damage in shot. Something for next time - there will be a next time cos I really enjoyed it.

Glad you like the mono - it was my second choice but grown on me now

Getting there I had no post code , just Cold Edge Road, Wainstalls, Halifax and that got me there.
EON who own the sites have pdfs with directions www.eon-uk.com/downloads/ovenden.pdf for their wind farms. I am sure there must be one nearer to you. i think there is something over Sheffield way.
According to EONs info and other websites you can only view at Ovenden from 100yards away from first turbine but it was all open. I chatted to some dog walkers who appeared just before I left and apparently they walk freely in their all the time.

Last edited:
Hi Martin that second one is a fantastic image - so atmospheric and moody, and gives a real feeling of being up on the moors. Brilliant composition in the way you have placed the turbines in the frame. The mono work well too. Excellent!

For me, the first one is too cluttered and lacks a central focus.

Hi Martin that second one is a fantastic image - so atmospheric and moody, and gives a real feeling of being up on the moors. Brilliant composition in the way you have placed the turbines in the frame. The mono work well too. Excellent!

For me, the first one is too cluttered and lacks a central focus.

Thanks Patrick I really appreciate your comments. I think with the first shot I was over thinking the Power theme in trying to combine the Fire power and the Wind power, when in fact judging from the feedback I have had, the mono turbines in shot 2 suffice for theme.
Thanks for stopping by

Martin

Hi, Martin, #2 for me as well. B&W is suited here.

Really well composed. I like how the line of the road leads into the line of the turbines. I also like that you've left in the far right turbines.

#1 is a little busy for me but I do like the colours on the ground.

Cheers.

Ta very much Andy. I am actually starting to be quite pleased with No2

Its been a busy busy week for me and then when I finally found time to tackle this theme today I found myself lacking inspirational mojo. So I have lazily re-visited a shot taken last month. It is vaguely on theme but as it doesn't really have any merit i am placing it here as a marker to avoid gaps. I will undoubtedly return to this theme on the next Re-Shoot week, if not before.
I apologise to those of you who may have already seen other versions of this on my flickr. I have deliberately softened and boosted this image for effect but have struggled to get rid of the over exposed looking face (the sun was beaming through the trees at that spot.) Looking forward to the next theme (will go look for it now), and i know I will have more creative time on my hands over the next week.

Hiya Martin,

Yep saw this on Flickr and thought it was good. It definitely fits the theme. To be honest after I saw your photo on Flickr I tried to get my son to do the same, but no joy, so well done to you for capturing the little seeds in flight.

It is a pity about the +OE on the face, but looking beyond that I think it is a great shot.

Don't feel bad about loosing the mojo ... we all have those moments. I hope you feel better soon.

Take care

Cheers

Mojo will come back....(y)...it always does!

Exposure is an issue, in the face and on the buds, and I'd be interested, as much for my learning as anything else, what setting you used and where you took a meter reading from.

I had a quick play in PP but the detail has completely gone in the OE parts.

I really like the background, you did well there. Nice contrasting colour.

Cheers.

posiview said:
Mojo will come back....(y)...it always does!

Exposure is an issue, in the face and on the buds, and I'd be interested, as much for my learning as anything else, what setting you used and where you took a meter reading from.

I had a quick play in PP but the detail has completely gone in the OE parts.

I really like the background, you did well there. Nice contrasting colour.

Cheers.

Hi Andy, it was just one of those moments where he was gonna blow the dandelion wether I was ready or not, so no meter reading , just had it in P mode on "rapid fire" . The background is a tree, fortuitous that it provided a dark contrast.

Martin

Hi Andy, it was just one of those moments where he was gonna blow the dandelion wether I was ready or not, so no meter reading , just had it in P mode on "rapid fire" . The background is a tree, fortuitous that it provided a dark contrast.

Martin

Ah, a 'bad' photograph is better than none at all...(y)

Edited hopefully with improved pp

Tinkering with this as given me a good chance to play with photoshop. Obviously still a lot to learn on it. I tried to add some pinch to enhance the creased effect but it made me look like the elephant man so decided against it.

I promise to pay the bearer on demand.....

Last edited:
:LOL:

I'm sure you can get hung, drawn and quartered doing that ;)

I was 100% sure someone would do this take, but from more of a macro angle.

You've done well.

But, I think I'd like to see the £5.00 with a background. Looks like a few PP issues (top of your head, top of your ear and bottom left shoulder)? and what's that on the LH side below the serial numbers?

Anyway, you can sit back and bathe in the glory of such a speedy finish..(y)

Cheers and I have a few ideas, one is a quick, jokey one and I'm sure someone will beat me to it.

Yep I was sure I wasn't going to be the only one doing a "money shot" this week. Was going to set up last night but my fiver was a bit crumpled too, so it spent the night in a book under the coffee table. You might have beaten me to it if it wasn't for your PP'ing which certainly makes the shot different. Well done.

posiview said:
:LOL:

I was 100% sure someone would do this take, but from more of a macro angle.

You've done well.

But, I think I'd like to see the £5.00 with a background. Looks like a few PP issues (top of your head, top of your ear and bottom left shoulder)? and what's that on the LH side below the serial numbers?

Anyway, you can sit back and bathe in the glory of such a speedy finish..(y)

Cheers and I have a few ideas, one is a quick, jokey one and I'm sure someone will beat me to it.

Thanks for the comments Andy. I have a further idea to work on so I may submit something later in the week. Good luck with your ideas.

Barrysprout said:
Yep I was sure I wasn't going to be the only one doing a "money shot" this week. Was going to set up last night but my fiver was a bit crumpled too, so it spent the night in a book under the coffee table. You might have beaten me to it if it wasn't for your PP'ing which certainly makes the shot different. Well done.

Thanks for those comment Colin. The reason I wanted to make it different was cos I thought loads of people would be doing the money shot, like you say.
Yours was first and a very good shot .

Hiya Martin,

That is fantastic, even with its flaws :LOL:

Guess who's head it will be :LOL: Although I'm sure this has been done before, not sure of the outcome ... but don't worry Martin .... we will be there with our cameras :LOL: (sorry in a jovial mood today :banana:)

I agree with the comments already made, but would like to add .... if you were going to go to this extreme of pp'ing why not also change the EIIR to your own insignia.

Well done King Marting the .....#

Thanks for the laff

Cheers

Hi Martin

you've got your mojo back I see (y)

What a fab idea & a great bit of processing....never even thought of notes having the word promise on them....mind you , notes don't hang around long enough in my purse to get looked at properley :LOL:

I love the second power shot.
Divided reminds me of the Co-Op advert with the Bob Dylan song. Great image.
As for Promise, I never realised The Queen wore a wig!

Hi Martin

you've got your mojo back I see (y)

What a fab idea & a great bit of processing....never even thought of notes having the word promise on them....mind you , notes don't hang around long enough in my purse to get looked at properley :LOL:

Ta very much Lynne. Have just done a bit more pp to it to hopefully tidy it up.
Thanks for stopping by :)

Back