weekly Drodd's Photo52 for 2011 - Week 51, 52 and bonus: Light, Glass, Nature (post 1545)

only just got to see it glad i didn't guess, i was going to say kids plastic straw and someone blowing a bubble lol
great shot though i love how dark it is i think any more light would of spoilt it
i agree i didn't think i get to this stage it has been a good leaning curve so far and so much input from so many im looking foward to looking back at the end to see 52 or more shoots and begin able to have learned from them all
(y)

:LOL: Dave, hey if it works to stoke the fire, why not :D

It has been great fun and thanks for the comments about the certificate, I hope Adie and Neil like it too.

Hiya Neil,

Hey pal, I was so close to awarding you the win before I had to go out for the birthday celebration meal, and ran out of time. Adie just pipped you to the post, however because you were so close to start I felt I had to award you a special award for same (especially as you emphasised that it is the floor standing holder for spares). Thanks for being a great sport and well done to your OH too for her guess. I suppose your in-laws having the same one must have given her the idea.

Well done all

Cheers

Dawn :)

She cannot remember where she puts her car keys, but a twisty thing on a forum and she remembers objects in mothers house which is 200 miles away :thinking:

And thank you for the certificate.
I think this is my first photo related certificate, so I'm very proud.
I'd like to thank my parents for having me, my agent for putting up with me, and my OH for all her support and :crying: and :crying:, I'm :crying: sorry has any one got a tissue

Last edited:
Hiya all

I hope this little guessing challenge was enjoyed by all. Perhaps a bit of a lesson in it .... i.e., that one doesn't have to venture too far out of ones home to find a fitting subject for a theme.

Sometimes even the most insignificant of objects have their place. Who would have ever thought that a toilet roll holder would come in handy (other than its intended purpose).

So when you are feeling a bit uninspired or want to challenge yourself, why not take a walk around your home, find an object that you would never dream of photographing and try to do something with it, (although I would encourage one to take the photography basics into consideration, i.e., lighting, exposure, f/#, wb etc and to get it in focus) and then practice some post processing techniques on it. I am sure you will be amazed at what you can create.

Now to catch up on a few replies:

Ah, thanks everybody :)

After my first suggestion I'm surprised I was permitted to carry on playing LOL

And if I might add, it looks much better with a border LOL :)

Thanks again...

Looking forward to week 22.. Almost half way through...

Rgds

Adie

Adie, you were a worthy winner .... as was everyone for their part in this little bit of fun. There were no rules except to guess, regardless of how many times. I've got an open mind, so don't worry your suggestions were not going to put me off awarding your the prize.

Glad you like the border .... I do like borders and felt a bit naked not adding one to this weeks photo, but heyho it does seem to work as I can imagine it printed on a canvas and then a border wouldn't work.

Ditto, also looking forward to week 22.

Congrats as well Neil, and OH, well done :clap:

Dave, thank you for being such a good sport and joining in with us. Thanks too for being a great sport and conveying your congrats to the winners. You are such an asset to TP.

Well done, that was going to be my next guess :LOL: Whens the next installment going to be then :D a whole new thread I suppose, the winner gets to do the next one and so on....

Thanks to you too Michael for your participation and support. I like your idea of the next installment .... guess that would make Adie the next one to do the challenge :LOL:

only just got to see it glad i didn't guess, i was going to say kids plastic straw and someone blowing a bubble lol
great shot though i love how dark it is i think any more light would of spoilt it
i agree i didn't think i get to this stage it has been a good leaning curve so far and so much input from so many im looking foward to looking back at the end to see 52 or more shoots and begin able to have learned from them all
(y)

Hiya Paul, thanks for popping past, sorry you missed all the action, but thanks for saying what your guess would have been, I like that idea might have to try it some time. Thanks too for the comments about the photo, I agree more light did spoil it, hence why I decided to stick with this. Well done on keeping with the Photo52 project and I look forward to looking back on the shots too.

She cannot remember where she puts her car keys, but a twisty thing on a forum and she remembers objects in mothers house which is 200 miles away :thinking:

And thank you for the certificate.
I think this is my first photo related certificate, so I'm very proud.
I'd like to thank my parents for having me, my agent for putting up with me, and my OH for all her support and :crying: and :crying:, I'm :crying: sorry has any one got a tissue

Neil, it must be a female trait .... I'm the same ... can't remember the important thing like where I left the keys (always losing them), but other things I remember well.

You are welcome ... I felt you deserved a certificate too. Hey there is a first time for everything, next you will hopefully be winning competitions with your photos. I like your victory speech, very humbling, oh and if you need a tissue ... don't forget the background of your certificate is created from a piece of toilet tissue :LOL:

Cheers

Well done on the pic... I really like the lighting and background.

Well with this week complete already what you going to do?!?!?

Well done on the pic... I really like the lighting and background.

Well with this week complete already what you going to do?!?!?

Hiya Mark,

Thank you for the comments. I am pleased with the lighting and background too. I never realised how effective other lighting can be, such as TV and computer light, especially in reflective objects.

As for the rest of the week .... I always have plenty to keep me busy ;)

Cheers

Hiya,

Twisted
5744304754_2c50aca60c_b.jpg

[/url] Twisted (8080-1) by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

This week no border added, for a change.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions etc will be much appreciated.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

A very nice image Dawn . I like the angle you have done on this image the lighting is very effective..(y)

The only thing I would have done different is I would have cropped it alittle closer on the left side of the image as the stem just dissapears into nowhere...

But thats just being picky..

i also feel this image needs no border its strong enough on its own..

Imho one of your stronger images...(y)

Regards Dave:wave:

Really nice lighting/Post processing on that one!

Hiya Vince,

Thank you for the comments (y)

A very nice image Dawn . I like the angle you have done on this image the lighting is very effective..(y)

The only thing I would have done different is I would have cropped it alittle closer on the left side of the image as the stem just dissapears into nowhere...

But thats just being picky..

i also feel this image needs no border its strong enough on its own..

Imho one of your stronger images...(y)

Regards Dave:wave:

Hiya Dave

Thanks for the kind words, comments and critique.

I know what you mean about the crop on the left, I did have it closer to start, but it looked a bit odd to me, hence why I gave it a bit more space.

As you say this is a strong image and works well without a border. I was so tempted to add one, as I like adding borders :D but went against my norm on this one.

Thank you too about thinking this one of my stronger images (y)

Cheers

How easy would it have been to just take the photograph and post it...

The P really gives it a nice, scientific feel to it. Very vibrant colours and live the composition.

Just the top a bit OOP, minor point but bet it'll drive you crazy...:D

Cheers.

How easy would it have been to just take the photograph and post it...

The P really gives it a nice, scientific feel to it. Very vibrant colours and live the composition.

Just the top a bit OOP, minor point but bet it'll drive you crazy...:D

Cheers.

Hiya Andy,

Indeed it would have been easy to just take a photo, but as you probably know me by now .... I don't do things the easy way :D

Thanks for the comments and critique. By the top bit, I gather you mean the ball of it being OOF .... that was actually intentional ... mainly because that isn't the focus of twisted and also I didn't want the reflection of me to stand out too much :D And no it won't drive me crazy ...... I'm crazy already :LOL:

Cheers

Hi Dawn,

Interesting, you've managed to make stainless steel look more like glass. I quite like the lighting and the infinity factor with the other end not visible, but would have liked to have seen a slightly more metallic tone to it if that makes sense? Good image though, and here's a certificate for you....

certificate.jpg

Hi Dawn,

Interesting, you've managed to make stainless steel look more like glass. I quite like the lighting and the infinity factor with the other end not visible, but would have liked to have seen a slightly more metallic tone to it if that makes sense? Good image though, and here's a certificate for you....

certificate.jpg

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I like that and thank you kindly (y)

A defo print and frame

(y)

Hi Dawn

sorry for taking so long to comment...apart from not being here it's taken me 1/2 hour of reading to find the original post :LOL: Congrats on your certificate as well.....great idea to award one to someone for guessing as well :clap:

Can't really add to whats already been said ....love the fact it looks like glass , the angle really suits & the colors are great (y)

Hi Dawn

sorry for taking so long to comment...apart from not being here it's taken me 1/2 hour of reading to find the original post :LOL: Congrats on your certificate as well.....great idea to award one to someone for guessing as well :clap:

Can't really add to whats already been said ....love the fact it looks like glass , the angle really suits & the colors are great (y)

Hiya Lynne,

No probs, hope you enjoyed your time in Ireland despite the poor weather.

Thanks for the comments, the little challenge was great fun and had peeps thinking.

Waiting now for the next theme :D

Cheers

Hi Dawn, I'm late this week because I've only just posted my image.
Lovely image you have taken . colours are great and composition is good. My preference would have been to narrow the aperture to try and get the whole thing in the focal plane. Because there is only one object in the picture and the shape of it means my eye wanders from end to end and feel that the greater dof would enhance it. Haven't read all the comments so not sure if anyone has commented similarly or not.

Oh and my guess would be a toilet roll holder (but only because I picked up those words while scrolling for the image)

Hi Dawn, I'm late this week because I've only just posted my image.
Lovely image you have taken . colours are great and composition is good. My preference would have been to narrow the aperture to try and get the whole thing in the focal plane. Because there is only one object in the picture and the shape of it means my eye wanders from end to end and feel that the greater dof would enhance it. Haven't read all the comments so not sure if anyone has commented similarly or not.

Oh and my guess would be a toilet roll holder (but only because I picked up those words while scrolling for the image)

Hiya Colin,

Thanks for your feedback .... better late than never :p :LOL:

Hell .... I tell you, this was not the easiest of subjects to photograph ... and was quite a learning experience .... especially regards lighting. But I can see what you mean about the focal plane .... something to bear in mind in the future.

Cheers

Week 22 .... and still here :D

Hidden Wonders ..... beneath the rock surface (please bear with me .... two takes of the same subject)

First thing that came to mind when I saw the new theme was my crystal collection, in particular the various geodes, nodules and thunder egg ... all of which I consider to be hidden wonders.

How often have you walked along a beach or in the countryside and kicked a rock, that just looked like a regular stone?

I have been interested in geology and especially rock formations since school days when I studied geography.

Over the years I have acquired quite a collection of both rocks, gems, minerals and associated literature on the subject.

Here I have put together a bit of a study of some of the gems from my collection.

Hidden wonders ..... beneath the rock surface (Hidden - 1):

5771921828_d68da02158_b.jpg

[/url] Hidden - 1 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Geodes:

- geological rock formations which occur in sedimentary and certain volcanic rocks that are plain on the outside but can have beautiful crystals on the inside.

- the exterior of the most common geodes is generally limestone or a related rock, while inside the most common dissolved mineral is quartz crystals and/or chalcedony deposits and other minerals.

- created in the hollow areas of soil such as animal burrows or tree roots. They are also formed in the bubbles in volcanic rock. Over time, dissolved minerals seep into a hollow area and harden into an outer shell creating the geode. The minerals continue to form on the inside walls of the shell, growing towards the center.

- it can take hundreds of millions of years for the space inside a geode to be filled, and many geodes remain partly hollow. A geode which is completely filled with crystals is called a nodule. Agate-filled nodules are called thunder eggs and are a nodule-like geological structure, similar to a geode, that is formed within a rhyolitic lava flow and they usually look like ordinary rocks on the outside, but slicing them in half and polishing them may reveal intricate patterns and colours.

- can have many colors depending upon the type of crystal. Because crystals have flat, clear surfaces with many facets, they reflect light and have a beautiful sparkle.

- are found throughout the world, and many are concentrated in deserts and volcanic areas are a common place to find geodes.

- there is no easy way of telling what the inside of a geode holds until it is cut open or broken apart. However, geodes from any one locality usually have a more restricted variety of interior mineralization.

- Oco Geodes are geodes that have their agate edges polished, and have druze or crystal-lined interiors, no two are alike.

Next time you are out and about, remember that even the most plain and unusual of objects can hold a hidden treasure

I hope you have enjoyed this mini project for the theme of 'Hidden'.

With regards to the photos .... originally I had placed them all in the same shot but wasn't happy with how that came out, i.e., trying to get the focus on all of them at the same time was a bit tricky. Also I did this last night and used the light tent with 20W halogen lamps either side. I decided to shoot them as individual photos and then compile the montage (Hidden - 1), at the expense of not being able to get the background colour exactly the same on each, but in some respects I think that adds to the uniqueness of each. What are your thoughts on this?

I positioned them in such a way that one shows what they look like on the outside, and how ordinary they look too. Then turned them over to reveal the hidden beauty of each.

I had also considered just showing one or two of the formation, but decided to do it this way to show how the rocks can take on such different and unique forms and shapes inside.

Today, prior to posting, I had concerns about the backgrounds in (Hidden-1), so I took more photos, but using a black background, and various lighting techniques and camera settings. Some with natural light, others with flash and/or additional lighting and also decided to use a different layout and presentation, so here is ...

Hidden wonders .... beneath the rock surface (Hidden - 2):

5772733906_dd35bfb2e9_b.jpg

[/url] Hidden - 2 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Any comments or critique will be greatly appreciated. Especially regards the presentation of both, effects of the lighting, i.e., does the paler background work better than the black (visa versa)?

I've got a few other ideas for 'hidden', which, if I get time to photograph, I may post, or perhaps those ideas might fit a future theme :thinking:.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this project and comments made will be all much appreciated and help my learning experience.

Cheers

Last edited:
Well, this is not up to your usual standard.....;)

I can see a lot of time and thought has been put into your theme.

Of the 2, #2 is my favourite. Specifically due to the fact that the rocks don't have the pale (small) background. Then again, I might prefer #2 with no inner white border.

I also think I'd like to see the lower section of #2 a bit darker gray.

Oh, hell, as I'm typing I might be changing my mind...:thinking:

I like the text in #1 and my daughter, Isabelle, likes #1.

Might revisit when I'm more decisive!!

Cheers and well done.

Well, this is not up to your usual standard.....;)

I can see a lot of time and thought has been put into your theme.

Of the 2, #2 is my favourite. Specifically due to the fact that the rocks don't have the pale (small) background. Then again, I might prefer #2 with no inner white border.

I also think I'd like to see the lower section of #2 a bit darker gray.

Oh, hell, as I'm typing I might be changing my mind...:thinking:

I like the text in #1 and my daughter, Isabelle, likes #1.

Might revisit when I'm more decisive!!

Cheers and well done.

Hiya Andy

Thank you for the honest critique .... and thanks to Isabelle for her feedback too (y)

I actually am not surprised by your first comment ..... I too do not think this is up to my 'usual' standard. It has proved to be a very difficult subject to photograph .... especially as there is so much going on and it is meant to be an informative piece .... not easy and yes there has been a lot of thought and work put into it .... but hey .... all feedback is great as it helps me identify where I can make changes to improve the display.

I can see what you mean about the lower section of #2 being a bit darker .... unfortunately this is a pre-set border and I have only, in the last few days, had CS5 installed on my computer (but not yet got to grips with it) .... so in some ways, for this project, resorted to what I feel comfortable with. Hopefully in the near future I will become more comfortable with CS5 and get better at post processing.

Come back and visit the project again, as many times as you like .... I don't have any restrictions on the number of visits. Believe me, I often visit, and re-visit peoples posts many times before making final judgement, so please don't feel bad about that. I am just thankful that you have taken this time to comment. Look forward to hearing what your thoughts are on the re-visit.

Cheers

Hmmm, I've just posted last week and here you are posting this weeks.

This is a revisit. I've been here a couple of times. I feel your 'rocks' are as difficult to photograph as my ring was.

#1 The various lights and background shading means that although presented in one place the whole does not feel ... one. A number of the images within seem soft to me but that is probably, in part, due to the refractive materials.

#2 has less distractions in the form of the various backgrounds however, I really don't like this border. I think some of the pieces are also soft here...:shrug: sorry :love:

Hiya Dawn, these 2 are certainly making me think this week.

Number 1, I like the layout and black background, but some of the pics are oof to my eyes. I think this is a commercial style, ie something you would find in a museum dedicated to this fascinating subject.

Number 2, I liked this one when viewing it small, but clicking on the larger version, I find the border uneasy on the eye, leading me away from the main objects. I like the transition from black to grey and I would say suits the picture well. It would be better if you could find a similar but slimmer border to set this one off. Once you have done that and sorted out the oof pictures then I would give you top marks. (y)

Also any reason why you used 2 sets of Oco Geode? Or was it to balance the pictures out?

Hmmm, I've just posted last week and here you are posting this weeks.

This is a revisit. I've been here a couple of times. I feel your 'rocks' are as difficult to photograph as my ring was.

#1 The various lights and background shading means that although presented in one place the whole does not feel ... one. A number of the images within seem soft to me but that is probably, in part, due to the refractive materials.

#2 has less distractions in the form of the various backgrounds however, I really don't like this border. I think some of the pieces are also soft here...:shrug: sorry :love:

Hiya Tina,

Thanks for the feedback, I somehow knew that I would hit a week where I would fail :LOL:, hell I can't keep up the pace all the time .... after all I have to learn something along the way .... so this is one of those weeks where the theme is really stretching my mind and creativity ... not to mention my photography skills.

I guess I could have gone for an easy option and photographed an subject, like something hiding in the garden or the likes .... but with each weak I push myself even more to find something inspiring, testing my creative side.

It doesn't always work, especially when I am in relax and unwind mode (i.e., on holiday .... even though not away at the mo .... I'm in that frame of mind .... so perhaps a bit lazy thinking .... cascading to my photography :LOL:).

I do, however, have another photo for the theme, which I have been working on tonight (once I fed and got the monkey to bed) so a bit late getting to it, but it will be posted shortly ..... warning though it is a tad 'dark' ;) But, hey my mind only starts to work at these ungodly hours of the night :LOL:

Thanks for your careful critique .... I have taken all onboard and will bear them in mind for any future similar takes of such subjects .... believe me I am not doing a reshoot of this one .... it has been a mission on its own :LOL:

Cheers

Hiya Dawn, these 2 are certainly making me think this week.

Number 1, I like the layout and black background, but some of the pics are oof to my eyes. I think this is a commercial style, ie something you would find in a museum dedicated to this fascinating subject.

Number 2, I liked this one when viewing it small, but clicking on the larger version, I find the border uneasy on the eye, leading me away from the main objects. I like the transition from black to grey and I would say suits the picture well. It would be better if you could find a similar but slimmer border to set this one off. Once you have done that and sorted out the oof pictures then I would give you top marks. (y)

Also any reason why you used 2 sets of Oco Geode? Or was it to balance the pictures out?

Hiya Michael,

Thanks for the comments and critique ... yes the reason I used two sets of Oco Geode were to balance the picture .... and also show how different one geode is from another (i.e., no two are the same).

As I mentioned in my OP that I had other ideas for the theme, I have been working on another tonight .... mainly because I am not satisfied with the original post .... but hey this one is extreme in the sense that it doesn't relate anything to the first.

Wait and see ..... It may not be to everyone's liking, but I like it :D

Cheers

I look forward to seeing it. (y)

Cool .... I am in the processing of grabbing it to upload now .... ;)

It is 'extreme' in some way and may not be taken too kindly by some (because of the connotation).... but hey ... it is photography and as an artist I have had to take my mind outside of 'my real world' to produce this photo.

See what you think .... be objective and let me know your thoughts about it.

Cheers

Cool .... I am in the processing of grabbing it to upload now .... ;)

It is 'extreme' in some way and may not be taken too kindly by some (because of the connotation).... but hey ... it is photography and as an artist I have had to take my mind outside of 'my real world' to produce this photo.

See what you think .... be objective and let me know your thoughts about it.

Cheers

Hell, and here's me wanting to go to bed.....hurry up.....;)

Hiya,

Thank you for the critique on the first take on the theme. Granted it is probably not my best take so far .... we are all bound to hit a brick wall at some time as far as interpretation and execution of a theme .... and I think I hit mine this week. Even though I had the idea and all intentions were good, the execution was poor, and I think that was down to me just being lazy and not paying enough attention to the execution of same. But then that is all part of the learning experience.

Anyway .... as I had mentioned that I had other ideas for the theme, here is one more which I managed to do tonight ..... it is great to be on leave because I seem to have more time to think about things.

This one may spark some emotions because ..... but then it may just be another photo to some.

I will have you know that this is probably the first time I have posted a photo that is SOOC, bar from a slight straighten and adding the shadow border, but other than that there is not post processing .... the green .... which I wanted on this picture, is from the mini torch on my cig lighter .... I wanted to generate a 'night vision' look without using any post processing techniques. I was tempted to put a red bulb in the table lamp for the lighting ..... but thought the green looked better. I did however try some various colours, but they didn't work the same. Would love to hear your thoughts of same, especially regards focus, composition, lighting etc as this is like I say straight from camera. I may be on the wrong track here, but if you don't let me know I won't learn, so don't hesitate to let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

So here is my Hidden - 3:

5773840390_22762b3148_b.jpg

[/url] Hidden - 3 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

First impression was wow! I really love the colour. I'm not sure if the border works though, but looking at the image, it draws me into look at it. Great for a sooc image. Now what is it? :thinking:

Hiya Micheal,

Thanks, I like the colour too.

Appreciate comment about the border .... so here is one without:

5773382397_72921ae23a_b.jpg

[/url] Hidden - 4 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Can't you see what it is? I thought it would be obvious .... obviously not.

It is the side profile of a face ... hiding behind a window .... looking and watching :eek:

Cheers

My first reaction was....what is it, or what does is show. My daughter has one of the toys....hours of fun...:LOL:

Glad someone asked but as soon as you pointed out what is was I could see it!

I like the night vision effect and I prefer the border. I think I'd like to see more of the reflection and a tad off the left?

Is this your first self portrait...;)

Cheers...

I see it now! Must be the time of night :LOL: It was certainly worth waiting for Dawn. :clap:
Nite :)

Hiya Michael,

Thanks, I am so tired today as I was up till early hours this morning working on photos :bonk: Glad you saw the image once I explained what it is.

My first reaction was....what is it, or what does is show. My daughter has one of the toys....hours of fun...:LOL:

Glad someone asked but as soon as you pointed out what is was I could see it!

I like the night vision effect and I prefer the border. I think I'd like to see more of the reflection and a tad off the left?

Is this your first self portrait...;)

Cheers...

Hiya Andy,

When I took the photo I wanted it to have a bit of an abstract feel to it, so in that respect I suppose I have achieved the outcome I set out to achieve.

I must say I didn't like having to push my face into those pins .... the things we do for a photo :LOL:

The night vision effect with the green torch was applied after I had taken a few shots using white light, but when I looked at the images on the computer I felt something was missing, so decided to take more photos with the torch, quite like the effect it produced. I took quite a few shots, some with the touch light flashing, and using a long exposure, which created some unusual colours :D When I sort through them I will post some to my Flickr.

Thanks for the comment about the the border ..... I personally prefer the one with the border too.

As for first self portrait .... I suppose it is in some way .... although not the most flattering as I was pulling a squirmish face as I planted my face in the pins :LOL: I don't like having my photo taken, I much prefer being behind the camera ... but at the time of night I took this shot there was no other face to use but my own :puke:

Your feedback is much appreciated (y)

Cheers

Wow, Dawn, you do love your borders don't you.. ;)

OK, the first shot of the geodes on white. I like the concept (as an amateur geologist you had me at rocks!!!!) :D

For me the distractions are the shadows and mixed casts of each shot. If I may offer some advice here, use the magic wand tool in Photoshop (I think elements has this too), set a highish threshold, and select the white bg and shadows. then punch up the levels until the bg is pure white. This will, gel all the shots in the montage, as they will all have the same bg.

Now the controversial bit.... With borders, I think less is more. You love to push out big punchy borders, and they often distract from the photos themselves. I do think all photos should have borders when you are presenting them (y), but not soo fancy that they overpower the shot :thumbsdown:

I think the second geode shot shows the potential of what the first shot could achieve with a uniform bg.

Love the colour cast you achieved in the third shot, and the ingenious methods you employ to light your subjects. Possibly a bit too much dead space on the left from the square crop.

Overall, shot 2, but with a pure white bg would be an absolute winner for me (with a small tastfull black border ;) ) and that would keep the Rock Doctor in me happy for days :nuts:

Rgds

Adie

Wow, Dawn, you do love your borders don't you.. ;)

OK, the first shot of the geodes on white. I like the concept (as an amateur geologist you had me at rocks!!!!) :D

For me the distractions are the shadows and mixed casts of each shot. If I may offer some advice here, use the magic wand tool in Photoshop (I think elements has this too), set a highish threshold, and select the white bg and shadows. then punch up the levels until the bg is pure white. This will, gel all the shots in the montage, as they will all have the same bg.

Now the controversial bit.... With borders, I think less is more. You love to push out big punchy borders, and they often distract from the photos themselves. I do think all photos should have borders when you are presenting them (y), but not soo fancy that they overpower the shot :thumbsdown:

I think the second geode shot shows the potential of what the first shot could achieve with a uniform bg.

Love the colour cast you achieved in the third shot, and the ingenious methods you employ to light your subjects. Possibly a bit too much dead space on the left from the square crop.

Overall, shot 2, but with a pure white bg would be an absolute winner for me (with a small tastfull black border ;) ) and that would keep the Rock Doctor in me happy for days :nuts:

Rgds

Adie

Hiya Adie,

Thank you for the constructive feedback, much appreciated (y)

My brother installed CS5 on my computer last week but I haven't got to grips with it yet. Thanks for the advice about the magic wand tool .... I'll have a look into that. I wanted to get the background consistent on all 12 photos but couldn't get it right .... hopefully I will be able to get it right in CS5.

Indeed I do like borders, and as you have pointed out less is more ... I will have to restrain myself from the bold borders :D

With the third shot I wasn't sure about cropping the dead space to the left as I thought it added to the sense that the face was looking out, but as you and others have pointed out it would be better with a tighter crop .... I will have a look at that too.

Just to keep the Rock Doctor happy I will see if I can get the 2nd rock shot with a white background ..... with a small black border :p

Thanks again for your comments and advice.

Cheers

Back