weekly Drodd's Photo52 for 2011 - Week 51, 52 and bonus: Light, Glass, Nature (post 1545)

Hi Dawn

Firstly can I say that these are some of the best borders I've seen on your 52.
Simple and affective.

As for the images, they are all on theme but.....

#1 I think I'd prefer in colour
#2 looks a little boring
#3 lacks contrast between the background and the broken fence bit thingy, perhaps colour would help
#4 works well and while my eyes are drawn to the centre, I don't miss the broken edges

All broken, but, and I'm annoyed to use the saying because every photograph doesn't tell a story, but there's no real story, for me...

I'm impressed that you've developed an eye for the theme.

#1, the broken end of the fence seems somewhat lost...maybe a closer crop or different composition?

#2, I got a feeling of unbuilt, as opposed to broken.

#3, real potential there, but the subject mater seems lost.. Perhaps a bit more contrast?

#4, my favourite. A little close? But nice colours at the end of the tube and it is, indeed, broken.

Cheers.

Hi Dawn.
I will ignore your PC problems for the sake of my critique and tell you what I see.

1 & 2 are both very striking. Nice and sharp and well suited to B&W. both spot on for the theme.
3. is very hard to make out what it is because of the busy background. And I think the colouring softens it too much.
4 I quite like but due to the eye being drawn to the end of the pipe the broken part doesn't stand out as strongly.
I'm not a huge fan of selective colouring but a major desaturation of everything except the other end of the pipe might look quite good, but again would detract further from the broken part.

4 shots all on theme and good quality as usual. You don't need us to give you any leeway for the pc problems!

Hope it gets sorted soon for you though.
Cheers
Colin

PS. Borders are spot on.

Hiya Colin,

Thank you for the comments and critique. #3 is actually a shot of the bit sticking out at the top left of #2, I didn't like the colour version as it looked too busy with the background, perhaps if I had taken it from a different angle it would have been better. Now that I look at it again I can see how the processing seems to have softened it .... may look at this again some time.

I can see what you mean about the eye being drawn to the flowers at the end. I had tried some selective colouring, but it didn't seem to sit right .... maybe because I haven't quite mastered the selective colouring technique yet. Another to maybe revisit at some point.

Thanks too for the compliment about the borders .... I think I am getting the hang of them now.

Hopefully the computer will be sorted soon so I can catch up with all the photos I have taken lately. It has been a very frustrating couple of days .... and I think I have gained a few more grey hairs in the process :LOL:

#1 like it - spot on theme and black n white suits it

#2 again black n white suits with the vignette drawing in the eye

#3 Can't make out what it is. Doesn't look like its in one piece so broken theme fits, but there is something about the pic that just doesn't work for me, but I cant put my finger on it as the wood is in nice detail. May be it needed a smaller dof

#4 As previously posted above, the eye is drawn to the flowers at the end.
Although good (flower in focus could be interesting / perhaps both front and back in focus for weirdness) for the theme and broken pipe, perhaps a more side on angle may have worked. Or not.

Overall nice shots. Must have been a nice area to walk in.

Hiya Vince

Thanks for the feedback and comments. #3 was a bit of a tricky one to take a photo of .... As I mentioned above it is the left top bit of #2. I think I should have spent more time thinking about how to compose the shot, like you say maybe a smaller DOF.

With #4 it was tricky trying to get the flowers at the end of the pipe in focus without losing focus in the front .... something for me to hopefully practice at another point.

Indeed it was a lovely area to walk about .... with such a variety of subjects to photograph from landscape, buildings, macro, action etc. A great day was had by all.

I'm liking nu 1 , fits the theme perfectly as does the processing (y)

Nu 2 ...not qute doing it for me but can't put my finger on why :shrug:

Nu 3 .... I like the idea & can see it fit's the theme just not sure about the processing...I'm thinking maybe, just maybe , selective coloring might have worked to allow you see more of the wood detail ?

Nu 4..... I likey likey this one loads :clap: the 1st thing I saw was the the 2 broken edges on the pipe so def spot on theme, love the angle & the plants add extra interest(y)

The 'puter issue doesn't seem to have hampered you at all as nothing lacking in any of the captures :)

How was the Tutored walk ? Are we going to see some of the shots ? Had a look on the web to see if any round my area but couldn't find anything , certainley appeals to me so if you think it was a worth while day I may venture further afield & try one

Keep smiling chuck x

Hiya Lynne

Thank you for the comments and kind words. What bugged me most about the computer problems was that I waisted so much time having to reboot my computer every time the blinking thing froze. It is a problem I am having with Picnik .... every time I try to sign in the system crashes .... can't use the keyboard or mouse .... nothing .... so have to reboot which is so frustrating. I have been in contact with them ..... and perhaps lost my cool with them last night ... but heyho will have to see how it goes .... they can't seem to find what the problem is ..... but say it is something to do with my computer, because I can access the account using another computer. There must be some hidden data somewhere on my computer that conflicts.

I appreciate all your comments and feedback on the photos and will bear them in mind and try a few of the suggestions.

The tutored walk was great. Started off with a 2 hour presentation, where I learned a few things .... as it was aimed more at the 'new to photography' there was quite a bit that I was already aware of, but it was still very useful. The walk itself was fun, apart from a spit and spot of rain ... but it fined up as the day went on. I was absolutely shattered when I got home at 6pm. As I have been busy trying to sort out the computer issues I haven't had chance to post the pictures yet, but will get some loaded to Flickr soon.

I had a chat to Veronica (who hosts the walks) and she said if there were a group of us interested in a tutored walk she would arrange something.

I'm going up to Appleby tomorrow to spend the night in the campervan .... just feel like I need to get away, even if only for one night. I need some chill-out time :D

I've been looking at these every day, sometimes a few times in a day. #1-3 I just don't 'feel' them. :( But the broken pipe, now THAT I like :) I would quite like the flowers at the far end in focus but, I couldn't do that without losing the feel of the length of pipe. :shrug:

Hiya Tina

Thanks for taking the time to look and look again. I guess these aren't 'feely' photos .... and with all the computer frustrations I wasn't feeling very inspired. But heyho, I didn't want to miss the week. Hopefully I will get some inspiration from the new theme. Glad you like #4 .... as I mentioned above trying to get the flowers in focus was difficult to do without sacrificing the focus elsewhere along the length.

Hi Dawn

Firstly can I say that these are some of the best borders I've seen on your 52.
Simple and affective.

As for the images, they are all on theme but.....

#1 I think I'd prefer in colour
#2 looks a little boring
#3 lacks contrast between the background and the broken fence bit thingy, perhaps colour would help
#4 works well and while my eyes are drawn to the centre, I don't miss the broken edges

Hiya Neil,

Thanks for the compliments about the borders.

The colour version of #1 isn't too bad and I almost posted it in colour, but I kinda preferred the b&w.

I suppose #2 does look a bit boring .... but then how does one make a fallen down fence, that I think was being rebuilt look interesting? :LOL:

With #3 .... I think I might revisit the colour version and see if there is something I can do to it to introduce the contrast you suggest.

All broken, but, and I'm annoyed to use the saying because every photograph doesn't tell a story, but there's no real story, for me...

I'm impressed that you've developed an eye for the theme.

#1, the broken end of the fence seems somewhat lost...maybe a closer crop or different composition?

#2, I got a feeling of unbuilt, as opposed to broken.

#3, real potential there, but the subject mater seems lost.. Perhaps a bit more contrast?

#4, my favourite. A little close? But nice colours at the end of the tube and it is, indeed, broken.

Cheers.

Hiya Andy,

This week's theme was a challenge for me to try to get a 'story', especially as I have been so focused on getting my computer sorted. But I appreciate your comment.

With #1 it was only the one piece that was broken so I was sort of aiming for that to take centre stage of the picture .... perhaps as you suggest a closer crop might work.

With the #2 it is a broken fence that was being repaired .... hence why I took the pic.

I think I need to revisit #3 and see what I can do with it.

Thanks again everyone for your indepth comments and critique, all of which are taken on board and add to my learning. I have a few things to go at there to see what I can do to improve the photos.

Looking forward to the next theme now.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hi Dawn,
well i think you have done well considering your computer problems.
I like 1, not sure on 2 & 3 but really like number 4.Number 4 being my favourite of the bunch. The borders are just right for these images imo
Good luck sorting out your computer. A crashed computer always seems to take forever to restart itself!
Regards
Ceri

Hi Dawn,
well i think you have done well considering your computer problems.
I like 1, not sure on 2 & 3 but really like number 4.Number 4 being my favourite of the bunch. The borders are just right for these images imo
Good luck sorting out your computer. A crashed computer always seems to take forever to restart itself!
Regards
Ceri

Hiya Ceri,

Thank you for the kind words and compliments, especially about the borders ... I tried to keep them simple this week .... after all I couldn't get much more out of my computer :LOL:

I have been in liaison with people about my computer and it seems that I may not have enough RAM on my computer to support the application. I don't have much knowledge about the technical side of computers (even though I work with computers .... but more software than hardware) so I need to investigate more about what is going on with my computer. I think perhaps I have too many photos on my netbook and it is time to clear some space :LOL:

Indeed once the computer crashes it seems to take forever to re-boot and I must have done that about 50 times or more over the last few days :bang:

Anyway, hopefully it will be sorted soon.

Cheers

Your latest broken theme has been captured well, i wasn't overly keen with 1st image, then i saw you second and 3rd which i did like but number 4 for me i think its the flowers at the end of the pipe that does it (y)

Your latest broken theme has been captured well, i wasn't overly keen with 1st image, then i saw you second and 3rd which i did like but number 4 for me i think its the flowers at the end of the pipe that does it (y)

Hiya Paul,

Thanks for the feedback. It seems like #4 is coming up trumps in this set :)

Cheers

Hi Dawn, managing to get round to commenting now! Have looked at these a few times and you have done very well indeed. I can sympathise with the laptop issues!

Number 1, I really like this, the high contrast and black and white work well indeed.

Number 2, Liking the vignette, but the subject matter isn't grabbing me like the first image did.

Number 3, I like the idea, when I first saw it I was viewing it on the white background of tp, and thought there was not enough contrast to seperaste the object from the background. I am now viewing it on the black theme, the image certainly benefits from the darker background, making it stand out a little bit more.

Number 4, This 1 is very good indeed. You have done well to get the lighting nice and even, and the composition works very well indeed.

So numbers 1 and 4 for me. (y)

Sorry to hear of your pc probs, it is very frustrating I know, hopefully you'll have it sorted soon. Pics 2 & 3 don't really do a lot to hold my interest but I love number 1, this is a great photo & very nicely processed. To me this is what photography is all about, minimal PP & not lots of layered images computer enhanced. Number 4 again very well spotted and good imagination to compose the shot the way you have, nice bright colours and it does fit the theme well as I saw the broken edge immediately and then was drawn down the tube to the oof flowers which I think work as they are. Too much focus on them would take the eye off of the broken edge I think. Well done on these images, I like them a lot.

Sorry to hear of your pc probs, it is very frustrating I know, hopefully you'll have it sorted soon. Pics 2 & 3 don't really do a lot to hold my interest but I love number 1, this is a great photo & very nicely processed. To me this is what photography is all about, minimal PP & not lots of layered images computer enhanced. Number 4 again very well spotted and good imagination to compose the shot the way you have, nice bright colours and it does fit the theme well as I saw the broken edge immediately and then was drawn down the tube to the oof flowers which I think work as they are. Too much focus on them would take the eye off of the broken edge I think. Well done on these images, I like them a lot.

Hi Dawn, managing to get round to commenting now! Have looked at these a few times and you have done very well indeed. I can sympathise with the laptop issues!

Number 1, I really like this, the high contrast and black and white work well indeed.

Number 2, Liking the vignette, but the subject matter isn't grabbing me like the first image did.

Number 3, I like the idea, when I first saw it I was viewing it on the white background of tp, and thought there was not enough contrast to seperaste the object from the background. I am now viewing it on the black theme, the image certainly benefits from the darker background, making it stand out a little bit more.

Number 4, This 1 is very good indeed. You have done well to get the lighting nice and even, and the composition works very well indeed.

So numbers 1 and 4 for me. (y)

Hi guys

Thank you for the feedback .... all much appreciated!

Cheers

Last edited:
This image stands out for me from the selfie shoot.. It makes me want to see more but I know I have seen enough..!!!!

5794501783_1bb431b7b6_b.jpg

The pipe in your broken theme is the winner for me . " Took me back to my 1st job.!!! I used to make these..!"

It would have been nice to have done a exposure for the inside of the pipe and blended it with the one you have taken..!!

Hope your well and I look forward to seeing you and your son at my place..!!!

Kindest regards Dave(y)

Hi Dawn

No 1 is defo the best of your broken shots... although I think with a bit more work at that fence there was a better shot to be had by getting in closer or panning round a bit.

As for the second... It just does not say broken in a way... but as a pic I think I prefer it to 1.

3 is simply hard to see...

4 a b and w conversion of this might actually be the best pic...

hope your having a great holiday and getting great shots... M

This image stands out for me from the selfie shoot.. It makes me want to see more but I know I have seen enough..!!!!

The pipe in your broken theme is the winner for me . " Took me back to my 1st job.!!! I used to make these..!"

It would have been nice to have done a exposure for the inside of the pipe and blended it with the one you have taken..!!

Hope your well and I look forward to seeing you and your son at my place..!!!

Kindest regards Dave(y)

Hiya Dave

Thanks for popping past and for the comments/feedback.

The pipe photo was a bit rushed .... so didn't think of exposing for the inside of the pipe, but can see how that might have worked ... will have to bear that in mind for next time I find something like this.

I am well thanks, especially after a relaxing night at the campsite. Hope you are all keeping well too ... and look forward to meeting you later this year too.

Take care

Cheers

Hi Dawn

No 1 is defo the best of your broken shots... although I think with a bit more work at that fence there was a better shot to be had by getting in closer or panning round a bit.

As for the second... It just does not say broken in a way... but as a pic I think I prefer it to 1.

3 is simply hard to see...

4 a b and w conversion of this might actually be the best pic...

hope your having a great holiday and getting great shots... M

Hiya Mark,

Thanks for the comments and critique. I wish I'd had more time to concentrate on how to photograph the fence better. I took the shot on a photo-walk and it was getting late in the day and we were a bit rushed towards the end .... not to mention that I was kinda photo'd out by this time :LOL:

The second shot is more a broken fence being repaired .... I think. It was just lying in the field and I to me it looked very broken :D.

With the 3rd I think I should have left it in colour rather than messing about with it. But heyho I have learned my lesson now.

I tried a b&w on the 4th pic, but it didn't seem to work for me .... I might revisit it though and see what I can do with it.

Thanks I had a great time away, not really a holiday .... more just to get away for some R&R. Went for a walk today and took some photos .... been looking at them tonight and will post some during the week. Also managed to get my shots for the new theme of 'bright'.

Cheers

Hiya

Wooohoooo :banana: ...... a theme B'right' up my street :D

Please bear with me on this one as it could be quite a long post.

I love this theme because I feel I can let my creativity shine (which may not be to everyone's taste ... but heyho it is my project and there are going to be times where I go OTT ... and this is one of them :p)

The moment I saw the theme ... my mind went crazy with ideas .... many of which I won't post because it would take too much space here, the weather hasn't been too 'bright' lately and they are quite technically challenging so there are a couple of shots that I would like to take ... but then again hopefully they will fit in with a future theme and when I have a a bit more photographic experience (In the meantime I think I need to start a notebook of ideas before this minimal grey matter fails me :LOL:).

So ..... onto BRIGHT

Over the last 6 months I have been taking photos for both this project and also for my 365 (which is falling behind regards posting the pics .... however I have maintained taking the daily photos ... and hopefully some time soon will be able to bring same up to date).

As such ... there are a few photos I took earlier this year .... all to do with various lights ... which I think fit in quite well with the 'bright' theme so I thought I would revisit them, process and add for this week ..... so this is the first part of this week's project for me:

1. Artificial bright sunset:

5835948742_a35ba8aa65_b.jpg
[/url] Bright by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

This is a photo of a revolving disco light, using a slow exposure, which I have cropped and rotated. That is pretty much all the processing I have done on this one, but think is quite effective.

2. A burst of bright light:

5834263616_90aaca3566_b.jpg

This is composed of various shots of a fibre optic light, shot at various speeds to create the motion effect, with the centre piece being on a slower shutter speed. What I enjoyed most about this shoot was how the colours changed as the lights rotated. I have a whole serious of these ..... too many to add here .... but wow this light is something else and great fun to photograph.

3. Psychedelic Bright Disco:

5834499974_ed2687f8f0_b.jpg

This is the same light used in #1, at a different speed and then applying a crop, round frame and hypnotic processing. I quite like this one .... perhaps because it takes me back to my 'party' days :D

4. Bright synapse:

5829946851_35d804f508_b.jpg
[/url] IMG_6488 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Another of the lights in my collection (which unfortunately seems to have bombed out now :crying:) When I took this photo it was so much fun playing with the bright light .... and the white witch in me enjoyed the energy :D Here again very little post processing, mainly a tidy up of a few bits at the base where the light highlighted the bottom of the light and a slight sharpen to emphasise some of the detail.

So there ends the bright light of this project .... as I said this is going to be a long one because I am now going to move onto the photos that I have in particular shot for this week:

As I was away in the camper van this weekend when the theme was announced I thought I should get out with the camera and take some shots for the theme (sort of a mission I have set for myself .... although I don't like rules ... but I do aim to take a photo for the week in which it is announced) .... so this is my take on this week ... which has a more nature approach to bright:

5. All things bright and beautiful:

5833774681_ff8e3cfcbd_b.jpg
[/url] Bright and Beautiful by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

On Sunday morning the weather was bright and cheerful, so Reuben (my son) and I went for a walk. The flowers around the park and in the countryside were absolutely beautiful and I cam home with many shots of various plants and grasses. So these are just a few that I took ... which I thought fit the 'bright' theme ... although I think all flowers are bright in beauty.

6. Bright Blue

5834366128_2389d450f2_b.jpg
[/url] Bright Blue by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

I was initially in two minds about adding this one ... but hey I took it with the theme in mind so thought I should add it. In the morning when we woke up the table/chairs combo that we have for camping was wet with either dew or rain from the evening. I loved the bright blue colour and the shapes the drops had formed and the way the light reflected on the water brightened the image.

Right as I can only add 6 photos at a time to a thread, that will have to be where I leave it for this week ... but if you would like to see some of the other shots ... and also the individuals of the montages ... you will be able to view them on my Flickr page (link in signature).

Please feel free to offer comments and critique on the photos ... and apologies if this has been too long a post for some, but I have had so much fun putting this one together and it has been quite a learning experience, especially as I have returned to some of the shots I took earlier in the year. Something I have learned here .... is that at times we take photos because they challenge our technical ability .... but may not be something we look at immediately as far as processing and posting .... which isn't always a bad thing. I can well imagine that many famous artiste started to create a masterpiece and took a break before finalising the image, which I think applies to photography too.

Thank you all for being such a great support over the last 6 months. We are almost half way and even though it seems like the time has flown past, when I look back on the past six months it does feel like a lifetime ago that I started this project.

Cheers

I wish I was on your drugs Dawn.
Be sure to bring enough for all on our meet!

#1 - sorry, not my thing.

#2 - Nice idea, there must be loads of abstract images you could get with these and a slow shutter speed.

#3 - again, not my thing

#4 - I like it! The colour is nice, the focus is good and the hands are (almost) symmetrical. I can't see any marks on the glass or distracting reflections either.

#5 - All things bright and beautiful - you've now got me singing hymns from primary schools days! The detail in the flowers is good and I like the black background - how did you do that, are they still in-situ or did you remove them for the shot? The framing is good, reminds me of a print and frame combo you'd find in ikea!

#6 - simple but affective.

#1 Looks like a backdrop for a stage set to me :(
#2 Would make a wonderful wallpaper IMO
#3 Hanging on the wall in a rather jazzy café bar
#4 I really like and just wish the hands were actually sharp! Look a bit soft to me.
#5 Very pretty, well presented but...ordinary for you ;)
#6 I like the dof and would recommend it hung over the dentist chair to try and distract the poor patients :D

I might have to restrict how many of your images I talk about each week...

Hi Dawn , I've been waiting with baited breath for your submissions this week....& BOY was it ever worth it :clap:
1st off...I apologise but your 1st image does nothing for me , sorry :crying:

However....

the 2nd image is simply stunning .It literlally made me say "WOW" out loud:clap: Great colors, great detail particularly in the centre orb , no blown light bits ( that I can see anyway ), beautifully captured & stunning to look at .Def one for the wall possibly mounted on acrylic to add to the shine :clap:

3rd image...again great colors & lovely detail in the shapes, fascinating to look at but possibly cropped just a touch to close...but thats a very minor neg ..great work:clap:

Can't see your 4th image on here but linked to flickr & now simply lost for words .That is one stunning , professional standard image & your should be extremely ,very & totally pleased with it :clap::clap:

Flower montage.....a great collection of shots , well presented with a complimentary border .The colors & detail in each flower are beautiful :clap: On 1st lookk the lower left flower looked OOF but several looks later I realised the staemen was perfectly in focus...brilliant ! The only really small niggle from me ( & it is very very small ) is that with the exception of the daisy (?) there are parts of the flowers cropped out...still debating wether this spoils or adds to the overall effect:shrug:

Water drops....another stunning shot , simple but so effective , great color , no unwanted reflections & great detail in the droplets (y)

Can't really add anything else excpet to say that you have excelled yourself this week ( you normally do but extra this week ) & can I book a training session with you on the 52's meet up please ? pretty please??

Cheers,Lynne

Dawn

For me its sooo simple... No 6... stands out a country mile from the others... It's soo simple yet so effective! Less is often definitely more in photography. No trickery just you and the camera!

I may have went for more DOF using a tripod if required due to the longer shutter speed associated with the larger dof.

The rest of your images are all just not my thing... the flowers are nice i'll give you that... but I'd have preferred to see the daisy on its own!

Critical as always... Mark

How do you spell GGGRRRRRRrrrr?? ;)

I've been totally lost with this week's theme for some reason, and you come up with 6 ideas.....:shake:

(Well done...(y))

1. first thing I saw was a western sunset....:nuts: Nice and bright, but not for me.

2. first thought was, obviously, fireworks. To get a real fireworks effect perhaps change sizes of lights, maybe. I guess this isn't the effect you were after.

3. would look nice on a funky cafe wall.

4. well composed and symmetrical. Some nice detail in the lights.

5. all seem well exposed and they are bright. Bottom left seems a bit soft. I think top right is a photograph in itself!

6 Yip, my favorite, even though it doesn't scream bright. Yip, my favorite (y)

How do you spell GGGGRRrrr again...:bat:

Last edited:
Hiya Dawn,

Interesting set, I feel your energy, the psychedelic colours takes me back to last year at Oscars.

My only crit would be, on the lightning ball, the hands are a tad soft in focus.

Other than that good work (y)

I wish I was on your drugs Dawn.
Be sure to bring enough for all on our meet!

#1 - sorry, not my thing.
#2 - Nice idea, there must be loads of abstract images you could get with these and a slow shutter speed.
#3 - again, not my thing
#4 - I like it! The colour is nice, the focus is good and the hands are (almost) symmetrical. I can't see any marks on the glass or distracting reflections either.
#5 - All things bright and beautiful - you've now got me singing hymns from primary schools days! The detail in the flowers is good and I like the black background - how did you do that, are they still in-situ or did you remove them for the shot? The framing is good, reminds me of a print and frame combo you'd find in ikea!
#6 - simple but affective.

Hiya Neil,

:LOL: The only drug I'm on is LIFE and I'll be sure to bring plenty to the meet ;)

Granted there are possibly a number of my photos/images that are not to everyone's taste, but I appreciate your comments.

Lights are amazing things to photograph and I am on the hunt for more of them ... have quite a collection now and have taken many photos of different lights, with the aid of my son doing the motion with some of the handheld lights I have bought over the past year or so.

#4 was quite a tricky shot to get ... as those are my hands ... and I took the photo too .... all down to the right exposure and timing with camera set up on a tripod and set to timer. It was one of those moments where one can't waist too much time faffing about and I had to do a couple of practice runs before I got this shot. But hope it is a shot that shows I don't just rely on post processing for my photos .... and do put some technical thought into my photography.

Believe me ... I have been singing the darn song since I took the photos .... it is driving me bonkers now :LOL: As for the flowers ... yes they are all in-situ and no plants were dismembered for this photo. You will find the Exif data on each of the individual photos on my Flickr page ... but if I recall I think I shot most of these with -2 flash compensation, about 1/200, around F11+ ... and they were all handheld also .. which I was quite surprised at how they came out. In post processing (in Picasa 3 ... which I like for the shadow tool ... for me it works better than any other prog) I increased the shadow to darken the background and then to bring out the detail applied some sharpen and popped the colour a tad with saturation. As the flowers were looking a tad tired in places I did had to do some retouching on the petals and also clone out some of the stray buds and bits of twig/leaf in the background. Hence why it took a bit more time than expected. But overall I'm happy with the result.

#1 Looks like a backdrop for a stage set to me
#2 Would make a wonderful wallpaper IMO
#3 Hanging on the wall in a rather jazzy café bar
#4 I really like and just wish the hands were actually sharp! Look a bit soft to me.
#5 Very pretty, well presented but...ordinary for you
#6 I like the dof and would recommend it hung over the dentist chair to try and distract the poor patients

I might have to restrict how many of your images I talk about each week...

Hiya Tina

Thanks for the comments .... #1 a backdrop for a stage set ..... hmmmm ... that could be an avenue for me to investigate. I would love to one day be able to produce something for a stage production, that is taking a photograph and turning it into something artistic.

I like your idea of a wallpaper for #2, but I think I would go a bit star crazy after a while of looking at the walls all the time ... never mind talking to the walls ... which I seem to do a lot of lately :LOL:

Jazzy cafe for #3 .... hey babe ... how would you fancy being my Promotional Manager one day ... you have some great ideas :D

As for #4 and the hands looking a bit 'soft' .... well I should hope so ... after all I try to look after my hands :p

#5 ... ordinary? ..... well I suppose you are right there looking back at the majority of the photos/images I have posted. But then I am trying to cater for everyone's preferences and also trying to be a bit of an 'all rounder' photographer, although I do prefer the more 'abstract' and 'creative' images.

As for #6 .... now you have just reminded me that it is time to make appointments for us to visit the dentist again :bang: But I think I know what you mean ..... a bit of a 'tranquil' photo, either that or the patient is gagging for a drink of water :D

Hi Dawn , I've been waiting with baited breath for your submissions this week....& BOY was it ever worth it :clap:
1st off...I apologise but your 1st image does nothing for me , sorry

However....

the 2nd image is simply stunning .It literlally made me say "WOW" out loud:clap: Great colors, great detail particularly in the centre orb , no blown light bits ( that I can see anyway ), beautifully captured & stunning to look at .Def one for the wall possibly mounted on acrylic to add to the shine

3rd image...again great colors & lovely detail in the shapes, fascinating to look at but possibly cropped just a touch to close...but thats a very minor neg ..great work

Can't see your 4th image on here but linked to flickr & now simply lost for words .That is one stunning , professional standard image & your should be extremely ,very & totally pleased with it

Flower montage.....a great collection of shots , well presented with a complimentary border .The colors & detail in each flower are beautifu On 1st lookk the lower left flower looked OOF but several looks later I realised the staemen was perfectly in focus...brilliant ! The only really small niggle from me ( & it is very very small ) is that with the exception of the daisy (?) there are parts of the flowers cropped out...still debating wether this spoils or adds to the overall effect

Water drops....another stunning shot , simple but so effective , great color , no unwanted reflections & great detail in the droplets

Can't really add anything else excpet to say that you have excelled yourself this week ( you normally do but extra this week ) & can I book a training session with you on the 52's meet up please ? pretty please??

Cheers,Lynne

Hiya Lynne

Sorry I kept you waiting so long to see my project this week .... it has taken longer than anticipated to compile. But I'm glad you are happy with same.

Isn't it amazing how we wait for each others posts, and in my case I look forward to seeing what people think and comment on same, and I always look forward to your valued feedback.

The first image doesn't seem to be a bit hit so far ... and actually that is the one I like the most ... but then that is probably because I am looking at it through the eyes of the creator and it maybe has more meaning to me .... especially knowing the work it took into composing the shot, and the fact that I love abstract art.

A 'wow' from you is high praise indeed, especially as you are turning into such a seasoned photographer yourself, so thank you kindly. I like your idea for an acrylic mount for this .... and I think it will work well for the reasons you mentioned. I may just do that ... maybe a birthday pressie to myself next month :D

I appreciate your comment about the close crop on #3 ... I had toyed with the image a bit to give it more space .... but the whole debate about heavy borders kept ringing in my mind ... so I tried to keep it simple, if that makes sense. Personally I would have wacked a heavy black border around it with no frame .... almost in prep for mounting on a canvas.

Hmmmm .... can't understand why you can't see #4 .... it appears fine for me. If there is anyone else having a problem seeing it, please let me know and I will see why this is. Thanks for your high praise Lynne, it is a photo I am well chuffed with, especially as it was quite a challenge to shoot.

I can see what you mean about the crop of the photos in #4 and yes I agree they perhaps do distract and I would have preferred to get the whole flower in ... but unfortunately ... no matter how I tried .... I just couldn't seem to get them as such in the montage, being restricted by the sizing in Picnik. Perhaps if I had tackled this one in a different way it would be better, but I was pushed for time. However, the full version of each of the flowers are on my Flickr page if you would like to see each individually.

I'm not sure about a training session on the 52 meet, but I will gladly talk you through some of the techniques I have applied to some of the photos. I can't wait for a meet as I know I will learn so much from all of you. I would love to learn from you about panning and the fantastic action shots you have taken recently.

Thank you all for your in-depth comments and critique. I am so lucky to have you all on this project as I learn something new each week from your feedback.

Cheers

Ha ha Dawn, this is amazing! :)
This one has really caught your imagination.
Where do I start?

# 1-3 - these three are certainly bright. Obviously take a lot of thought and skill, but they don't engage me at all.

#4 this is a fun pic and has a slightly mysterious feel. Almost like a crystal ball.

#5 This is my fav. Absolutely brilliant. The one of the daisy is just lovely. If I could do that I'd be a happy man. What lens did you use?

#6 This also is very appealing. Well spotted. Great use of light, DOF and colour.

Dawn

For me its sooo simple... No 6... stands out a country mile from the others... It's soo simple yet so effective! Less is often definitely more in photography. No trickery just you and the camera!

I may have went for more DOF using a tripod if required due to the longer shutter speed associated with the larger dof.

The rest of your images are all just not my thing... the flowers are nice i'll give you that... but I'd have preferred to see the daisy on its own!

Critical as always... Mark

Hiya Mark,

Well why am I not surprised ....
I knew when I was working on these that you wouldn't be pleased with them ... hence why I specifically added #6 ... that one was taken and added with you in mind (so don't you ever say I don't cater for your taste I'd wouldn't want to shed a tear
As for the daisy ... you can see it on its own if you click on my Flickr link

Thanks for your comments, always much appreciated

How do you spell GGGRRRRRRrrrr??
I've been totally lost with this week's theme for some reason, and you come up with 6 ideas.....

(Well done...)

1. first thing I saw was a western sunset....:nuts: Nice and bright, but not for me.

2. first thought was, obviously, fireworks. To get a real fireworks effect perhaps change sizes of lights, maybe. I guess this isn't the effect you were after.

3. would look nice on a funky cafe wall.

4. well composed and symmetrical. Some nice detail in the lights.

5. all seem well exposed and they are bright. Bottom left seems a bit soft. I think top right is a photograph in itself!

6 Yip, my favorite, even though it doesn't scream bright. Yip, my favorite (y)

How do you spell GGGGRRrrr again...

Hiya Andy

GGGGGGGGGRRrrrrrrrrr .... I think it needs a few more g's and r's (that's if you know how to roll both .... if not I will show you at the meet )

I can see you have been a bit lost this week ... not sure why .... maybe it has to do with depletion of Costa? :shrug: But don't worry .... you will get your inspiration .... best thing is don't think too hard about it ... just let your mind and creativity do all the thinking for you (I know you have it in you from your Costa project .... and don't beat yourself up about not feeling inspired ... we all go through 'the' phase').

Onto the photo comments ....

Glad you saw the sunset in the first ... that was the intention ... not sure I had western in mind ... but heeehaaa ... that works for me :D

You are right .... I wasn't after a fireworks effect with #2 ... if I wanted to do that I would have used a whole load of photos I took of fireworks last year November (which can be seen on my Flickr ... for those who haven't seen same .... here is a link http://www.flickr.com/photos/crystal_singer/sets/72157625348792296/)

As for #3 Tina mentioned something similar .... maybe I need to investigate some funky cafes to see if they would be interested in displaying same on their walls ... and hopefully make some dosh out of same :D

Thanks for your comments on others and again the daisy photo seems to be a hit, and one I am very pleased with how it turned out as it had quite a few blemishes that needed sorting.

Again #6 seems a hit too, and I was at first reluctant to post it ... but after careful consideration I decided to post it because I thought it would appeal to some and afterall it was taken with the theme in mind. I took quite a few shots of this from different angles etc which I will sort through when I have time.

Hiya Dawn,

Interesting set, I feel your energy, the psychedelic colours takes me back to last year at Oscars.

My only crit would be, on the lightning ball, the hands are a tad soft in focus.

Other than that good work (y)

Hiya Emily

Thank you for you feedback and glad you feel the energy ... there was a lot of it put into these shots, so appreciate the comment (y)

Oh yes, I can well imagine you appreciating the colours especially after your Oscars venture last year .... saw the pics and it looks like you had a great time .... love the lazer lights ... could have fun taking photos of those (something to add to my list :D)

Ha ha Dawn, this is amazing! :)
This one has really caught your imagination.
Where do I start?

# 1-3 - these three are certainly bright. Obviously take a lot of thought and skill, but they don't engage me at all.

#4 this is a fun pic and has a slightly mysterious feel. Almost like a crystal ball.

#5 This is my fav. Absolutely brilliant. The one of the daisy is just lovely. If I could do that I'd be a happy man. What lens did you use?

#6 This also is very appealing. Well spotted. Great use of light, DOF and colour.

Hiya Patrick

Thank you and indeed this theme was just made for me .... I have loved it and am still thinking about BRIGHT ideas even though I have posted my project. If I had to put my mind to it I could probably produce a personal Photo52 on this theme .... maybe one I need to add to my pot of ideas for my next themed52 :thinking:

What I enjoyed the most about this theme is that I was inspired both as a photographer and at the same time applying my creativity .... something I view as 'hand in glove'. I was really comfortable this week and could have produced a lot more, given the time.

Granted 1-3 are very abstract and colourful and not everyone will appreciate same ... but it is what I like and that is why I had to add them. I don't want to lose what it is that I feel and want to express in my art.

I'm happy you see the mystery in #4 .... I can remember taking this photo and it was like I was embracing a crystal ball with the energy within reaching my finger tips. As you have probably gathered by now ... I am very fond of my crystals and the energy they emit .... this light orb was similar. Unfortunately it doesn't work now following the shoot ... I think I zapped all the energy from it .... which may explain why I am like I am, on one major BUZZ :LOL:

To answer your question on #5 .... it was taken with my 18-55 (non IS) kit lens, hand held I might add and after a couple of drinks the night before ... so not bad considering a bit shaky handed.

I have to say I do like #6 ... and at first was going to be the only photo I submit for the week .... but with all the ideas that were in my head I had to add same to this week.

I realise this week has been a long one for you to trawl through and I thank you all for taking the time to look through and comment on each. You are all fantastic and your feedback is greatly appreciated and all helps towards my learning.

I look forward to hopefully meeting you soon some time at a meet (and those who want to brave the weather and camp ... maybe even sooner)

Cheers

Really like number 6 the best. I noticed it while briefly in your Flickr photostream. Will have a better look tomorrow. But the water droplets whilst something many have a go, is rarely done as well as you have. Really well captured.

Really like number 6 the best. I noticed it while briefly in your Flickr photostream. Will have a better look tomorrow. But the water droplets whilst something many have a go, is rarely done as well as you have. Really well captured.

Hiya Andy,

wow thank you for the comments .... it is the first time I have tried to take a shot like this, before it has been of drops on a blade of grass or such, but in this case I loved the different shapes they formed and the colours of blue (a colour one normally associates with water)

This was taken with my kit lens 18-55 (which I really push to its limits with close up photos) .... one day I will hopefully be able to afford a macro lens and then I will probably wonder how to use the darn thing after getting use to pushing the kit lens :LOL: But in the meantime I have to make do with what I have.

So your comments are very encouraging .... thank you kindly.

Cheers

To answer your question on #5 .... it was taken with my 18-55 (non IS) kit lens, hand held I might add and after a couple of drinks the night before ... so not bad considering a bit shaky handed.

These are just stunning. I had assumed you had some expensive macro lens!
Well done (y)

Just had another look. Number 5 is also very good and I think perhaps is my favourite now. It is well put together and with the art deco framing is very striking. You should stick this on a canvass and sell it.
As far as a macro lens goes my mate has the sigma 50mm macro and they aren't too pricey but it produces lovely shots.

Hiya Dawn, my you have been busy :D! I have to say I am very impressed! All stunning images, and it's hard to pick a top 1, but it would have to go to the fibre lights, great composition and lovely colours. My daughter has just looked at them as I was going through them and this was here comment, "Wow Wow! I love all of them, the last one is good, but all the others are the best!!" A beautiful and colorful take on the theme! :clap:(y)

These are just stunning. I had assumed you had some expensive macro lens!
Well done (y)

Hiya Patrick,

Thanks again for the compliments. Maybe one day I will be able to afford a macro lens :)

Just had another look. Number 5 is also very good and I think perhaps is my favourite now. It is well put together and with the art deco framing is very striking. You should stick this on a canvass and sell it.
As far as a macro lens goes my mate has the sigma 50mm macro and they aren't too pricey but it produces lovely shots.

Hiya Andy,

Thanks for popping past again and for the kind words. I do like #5 too for its bright colours ... I might decide to frame this one too. Not sure about it selling .... but who knows maybe someone would be keen to have it hanging on their wall.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Sigma lens ... I'll look into that as I could really do with a macro lens now as it is one of the areas of photography that I thoroughly enjoy.

Hiya Dawn, my you have been busy :D! I have to say I am very impressed! All stunning images, and it's hard to pick a top 1, but it would have to go to the fibre lights, great composition and lovely colours. My daughter has just looked at them as I was going through them and this was here comment, "Wow Wow! I love all of them, the last one is good, but all the others are the best!!" A beautiful and colorful take on the theme! :clap:(y)

Hiya Michael,

Indeed I have been a busy bee lately :D Thank you for the high praise and compliments on the photos. Please convey my thanks to your daughter too for her fantastic compliments .... they have really made my day ;)

I was very much in my comfort zone with the theme this week, as it fits in well the the type of images I like to produce.

Knowing my luck, next theme will be probably be a tough one for me :LOL:

Thanks again all for your kind comments.

Cheers

For me it's #6. A super sharp image that's brilliantly captured especially as it's only the kit lens (just goes to show how good this lens really is). Others have said it doesn't really scream bright but imho I think it fits the theme very well due to the light reflecting off of the water droplets and also the "Bright blue" colou of the table.

I also like #2, very nicely done and on theme perfectly and your flower shots are really beautiful, sharp, colourful images that you should be more than happy with.

Some excellent photos Dawn (y)

For me it's #6. A super sharp image that's brilliantly captured especially as it's only the kit lens (just goes to show how good this lens really is). Others have said it doesn't really scream bright but imho I think it fits the theme very well due to the light reflecting off of the water droplets and also the "Bright blue" colou of the table.

I also like #2, very nicely done and on theme perfectly and your flower shots are really beautiful, sharp, colourful images that you should be more than happy with.

Some excellent photos Dawn (y)

Hiya Darren,

Thank you for the compliments and feedback about the shots that you like.

Indeed the kit lens is a great little piece and I think it is under-rated for its capabilities. In manual focus it is amazing how close one can get to a subject and I think I have managed to get it down to around f3 before.

Your compliments are much appreciated and encouraging (y)

Cheers

Hi Dawn, I feel bad commenting without putting my own shot for this week up yet, but here goes ;)

The first shots just don't work for me as photography. Digital or alt art maybe, but photography, nope, not my thing.:shake:

No4 is good, and well thought out and executed. I'm not sure about the colour cast on the hands, seems to darken the shot somewhat. Probably extra directed lighting needed on the inside of the hands to cure that though!

The flowers are nice, and well thought out, but the crops have killed the shot for me. You have cropped a few of the petals :nono:

Love the water drops, simple, well executed and effective. Just not sure about the canvas size? Seems very random? 1024 by 537? :bonk::bonk:

BTW, love the shot of you peeking around the tree. There is a real warmth and fun factor to that shot.

Hi Dawn, I feel bad commenting without putting my own shot for this week up yet, but here goes ;)

The first shots just don't work for me as photography. Digital or alt art maybe, but photography, nope, not my thing.:shake:

No4 is good, and well thought out and executed. I'm not sure about the colour cast on the hands, seems to darken the shot somewhat. Probably extra directed lighting needed on the inside of the hands to cure that though!

The flowers are nice, and well thought out, but the crops have killed the shot for me. You have cropped a few of the petals :nono:

Love the water drops, simple, well executed and effective. Just not sure about the canvas size? Seems very random? 1024 by 537? :bonk::bonk:

BTW, love the shot of you peeking around the tree. There is a real warmth and fun factor to that shot.

Hiya Adie,

Thanks for the comments and feedback. Don't worry about commenting before you post your photo ... after all I'm not aware of any rules regarding same. Just means I will be able to give you a rollicking on your post when you submit it :LOL:

Right ... about your critique .... I appreciate that the first 3 'abstract' are not to some folks liking. However I have to disagree with your comment about them not being 'photography' .... especially as #1 is basically a crop and rotate of the original photo .... and that is about all that I did to this one (a case of finding a photo within a photo) .... here is the original:

5829952249_47156707b5_b.jpg
[/url] Disco Light (6275.CR2) by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Exp 1.3, f/22, ISO 800, 18-55 kit lens, mounted on tripod using trigger release cable,.

So I can't understand how it is not 'photography' :thinking: Unless cropping and rotating a photo doesn't fit in with same. (Apologies if this response sounds a bit harsh but I'm a tad confused as to why it doesn't fit with a 'photo' :shrug:).

#2 is a montage of 'photos' taken pretty much the same way as in #1, with minimal pp'ing, i.e., slight crop (no rotation on these) and then creating the montage and only using a degree of cloning to remove the seams between the shots.

Granted #3 is processed ... but as far as I am concerned photography is an art and a good photo can form the basis of a great image. I'm not saying this is a great image ... but it is me using a photograph as the base and developing thereon.

#4 is again very much a photograph out of camera, with very little processing, except for tidying up, i.e., removing some of the base of the lamp that was illuminated by the light, a bit of a tighter crop and a slight sharpen and a tad increase in saturation (which may have increased the redness). However this was the impact I was trying to achieve, i.e., a slight mystical and 'dark' feel to the image.

5842907998_2d770a350a_b.jpg
[/url]IMG_6488 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Exp 0.85, f/3.5, ISO 800, mounted on tripod, set to timer and using 18-55 kit lens.

When you say 'direct lighting' do you think it would have been better to have a light directed towards the hands? ... I think that may have over exposed the orb light and perhaps caused some reflection on the glass (unless I could diffuse the additional light in some way). I don't have any fancy external lighting ... mainly use some 20W halogen desk lamps.

Perhaps the settings were not right for this shot ... if you have any advice regards same ... I would be keen to hear your advice.

The flower shot is probably not the way I would have ideally liked it to be, but I just couldn't seem to get the montage to resize the photos to maintain the whole flower. I was using a preset format in Picnik to arrange the photos and unfortunately I had to compromise on some of the photos. However, each of the individual photos can be viewed on my flickr.

The water shot is an odd size because I had to crop the image at the top because there was a strange greenish cast in the top left corner. I have various other shots of same both portrait and landscape. If I was going to print this one I would obviously look at the correct size and see what I could do about the top left.

Glad you like the peeking around the tree shot ... it was great fun doing this shoot.

I hope you don't mind me responding to your critique, which I appreciate, thank you, as it is all constructive, however as a learning photographer and artist I felt I had to express my thoughts about same.

I take this project very seriously, and enjoy it even more so when people provide feedback and comments, as you have. I just got the impression from your comments that I was turning this more into a 'digital'/'alt art' project ... which is far from my aim. I give careful consideration to each theme and think about how I can use my limited photography skill (using both camera and lighting), combined with artistic flair to create both photographs and images to inspire others and which I find pleasing too. I use my camera to take the image .... sort of a starting canvas/base (the better I can get the shot in camera, the less work needs applying in post processing ... which I think all photographers and artists would ideally aim for) and there are times where I get it just right that I don't have to do anything with the image. However I think even the most experienced photographer relies on some degree of minor tweeks ... even though they may not confess to same :D

Thank you for the time you took to view and comment on each photo, all taken on board.

Now I look forward to seeing your shot for this week :razz:

Cheers

Hiya,

Thank you all for your comments on last week's theme all very constructive and very encouraging feedback (y)

This morning I woke up with loads of ideas in mind for this new theme (which I still have to do), but couldn't resist this one which came about unexpectedly so I had to post it today as it is Father's Day.

My dad came to visit this afternoon and brought me a beautiful bunch of flowers (which I will be taking photos of during the week) and a bag of sweets for Reuben (which will no doubt be devoured once he gets home later :LOL:).

Anyway he was supposed to be visiting for Father's Day and relaxing, but true to being DAD he got the garden shears out of his car (how convenient that they he had them in the boot :thinking:) to trim back the privet hedge (something I have been meaning to do for ages but never got round to it). Funny thing is he said to me "dad to the rescue again" and BAM that was it ... I had to get some photos of him :D

So here is a special Father's Day dedication to my dad, who to me is the best dad in the whole wide world and I love him dearly (thanks for coming to my rescue and cutting the hedges ... it is now documented in my Photo52 what a fantastic dad you are :love:):

5848528039_33ace3916c_b.jpg
[/url] IMG_9737 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Oh and yes ... before you all moan at me ... I did make my dad the well deserved cuppa tea and he also has a lovely goodie bag of treats (wine and fav chocs to make his way through tonight :D).

I'm not necessarily looking for critique on this photo, but if you feel you have to leave a comment please feel free to do so (just no harsh comments as this was pretty much a snap shot). I will post some more photos of the ideas I have during the week and then you can rip those to bits :LOL:

I'd like to take this opportunity now to wish all of the dads, grandads and great-grandads a happy Father's Day ;) I hope you have been spoiled rotten and that you have had a relaxing day so far.

Cheers

Sheers, ehh, if it doesn't have a plug on it's no use to me...:D Jackie's dad does everything in our garden...(y)

Cheer and hope you all enjoy your flowers/sweets/tea/wine.

Sheers, ehh, if it doesn't have a plug on it's no use to me...:D Jackie's dad does everything in our garden...(y)

Cheer and hope you all enjoy your flowers/sweets/tea/wine.

:LOL: I'm the same ... no plug ... no do :LOL: Hence why the privets have not been cut for such a long time because the electric hedge trimmer sounded like a serious H&S risk the last time I fired it up .... so it was indeed Dad to the rescue. Needless to say, I now have over 2ft of additional garden and it is amazing the amount of light that is now entering the lounge window :LOL:

You are fortunate that Jackie's dad does your garden .... what is his number so I can contact him when my dad is not available :D

Thanks we are going to enjoy the treats. Hope you got some great pressies and treats ... although I caught a quick glimpse of your post and think you probably got more tricks than treats :LOL: (going to comment now).

Cheers

Well done Dawns Dad for trimming the hedges, Im sure he'll enjoy his goodie bag of treats wine and fav chocs, when he does relax tonight LOL

Hiya Dave,

Thanks I will pass the message on to him and I am sure he is enjoying his treats right now.

I hope you have had a fantastic day with your family.

Cheers

If my children ever take a snap shot of me and post it on the web, they best PP my hair back in!

:LOL: I was tempted ... but then I thought my dad is going to see this and say ...'hell that is not me' so it was a bit of a catch 22.

I actually wondered if he knows he is thinning on top ... but then when you consider he is 64 years old ... he is not doing bad for his age, minimal grey hairs, slight thinning around the crown and still as fit as Jack ***** .....he can't complain. There are guys his age who are grey or bald and sitting on the fence watching life go by .... so heyho :D

Cheers

Dawn

P.S. this was posted for fun ... not a dig at my dad, thank you kindly

Last edited:
Back