weekly Drodd's Photo52 for 2011 - Week 51, 52 and bonus: Light, Glass, Nature (post 1545)

Hiya Dawn, really like your photos of Reuben. Great for the theme, and the black and white conversion suits it really well.
Your second picture I like as well, a lovely range of people enjoying them selves. The pictures really do them justice. :clap:

Hiya Michael,

Thank you for your kind words. When I saw the theme last week I immediately thought of taking this from a different perspective to the literal, a case of thinking outside of the box, which I try to do each week (not always successfully though :LOL:).

And finally my son has featured in my project, which I am happy about as I want to try to include most of the people who mean so much in my life in this challenge.

With the second image, I thought that just summed up my initial idea of 'celebrate' so am glad I managed to captured the shots.

Even though I had taken all of these pics (and more) last weekend, I have just not had the time this week to formulate them into my project until today.

I have an idea now for the new theme .... but whether I can get the shot that I have created in my head .... is another mission.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hi Dawn

looks like you & Roo had a great time in Sheffield (y)

Love the tryptic though personnaly I prefer the color version...the color of the paving just adds something but it's agreat set of shots & I love your take on the theme..Celebrate Life...something we should all do but sadly as we get older it seems we somehow forget how .
Maybe we should all go paddling at the 52's meet ?? After all that is going to be one huge celebration :banana:

Love the 2nd shot for it's vibrant colors & the different ways you have captured people celebrating sunshine & life (y)

Hi Dawn

looks like you & Roo had a great time in Sheffield (y)

Love the tryptic though personnaly I prefer the color version...the color of the paving just adds something but it's agreat set of shots & I love your take on the theme..Celebrate Life...something we should all do but sadly as we get older it seems we somehow forget how .
Maybe we should all go paddling at the 52's meet ?? After all that is going to be one huge celebration :banana:

Love the 2nd shot for it's vibrant colors & the different ways you have captured people celebrating sunshine & life (y)

Hiya Lynne

Yep we had a brilliant day :D Thanks again for the notification of the event, it was just what we needed to escape from the cabin fever :LOL:

Thanks too for the lovely comments about the photos for this week. I like the colour version of the tryptich too (which is on my Flickr for those wondering where it is), although I wanted to add a mono for this week seeing as most of, if not all, my posts have been colour.

When I set off last Sunday, it was my mission to have a great day out and get a shot for the theme and there were so many I could have used for this theme, but had to restrain myself from using them all :LOL:

I agree that as we get older we somehow forget how to celebrate life, perhaps we have so many pressures to deal with. That is what is great having Reuben in my life .... he reminds me how to enjoy the little things in life, although they do tire me out :LOL: but it is always good fun :D

I like your idea about us going paddling when at the 52 meet ... that will be great and we should get some fab shots too, especially if someone slips and gets totally drenched (knowing my luck it will be me who does that) :LOL:

With the second shot I wanted to keep it in colour, as you mentioned the vibrant colours add to the celebrating sunshine.

Thanks again for the kind comments.

Cheers

Hi Dawn

Sure looks like Roo had a good time in the water.
Liverpool has a couple of areas around town with similar water features, my girls have had a wet drive home on at least one occasion, but they sure had fun.

The second set are great, I especially like the two shots on the right, but it's the top right that hit's it for me. So jealous of their moment, it's hard to have time like that with my wife while we have three children to keep an eye on, that is when they're not climbing all over us or harassing us for food and drink!

Hi Dawn

Sure looks like Roo had a good time in the water.
Liverpool has a couple of areas around town with similar water features, my girls have had a wet drive home on at least one occasion, but they sure had fun.

The second set are great, I especially like the two shots on the right, but it's the top right that hit's it for me. So jealous of their moment, it's hard to have time like that with my wife while we have three children to keep an eye on, that is when they're not climbing all over us or harassing us for food and drink!

Hiya Neil,

Indeed Roo had a great time ... fortunately it was warm enough for him to dry off before we went to the restaurant for dinner.

We will have to visit Liverpool some time .... there is loads I want to see there too. It is quite a few years since I last went to Liverpool, it must be before Roo was born, so over 6 years ago.

I agree with your observation of the second set and glad you appreciate the two right-hand photos. Indeed when one has kids running around they do tend to demand attention, resulting in the parents not being able to spend quality time together like the couple in the top right photo. That is why it is so important to make the most of any opportunity that becomes available for you and your wife to spend some quality time together ;) Main thing is though, enjoy your kids while they are still young ....they grow up in the blink of an eye.

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

Cheers

Awww, that is so sweet ;).

thank you... :(

Andy, you tell Kev ... what would they think especially as they are so far apart at the moment.

....yeah...that right.... far apart.... thats the height of their problems....isn't it... :naughty:

Hi Dawn

Looks like Roo was having fun, nice little series, to the triptych.

#2 top rights a cracking shot :clap:

Hiya Dave

Thanks, indeed Roo had so much fun and I thought these three shone as being a triptych (y)

I like the top right photo too, the couple just looked so comfortable with each other and it was lovely to see them relaxing and enjoying their time together.

I had much fun getting the shots for this theme. Now I have to think of something for the new week :thinking:

Cheers

my bed is calling me, knew i didnt have enough time for a proper catch up this evening :0( but...

like the divided sunflower sprout and the broken pipe my favourite of the three

job well done on the sensual, saucy and conveys a mood without being too in the face as it were

glad you had a nice birthday, and i reckon you deserve those birthday treats after all your hard work with your camera :0))

x

my bed is calling me, knew i didnt have enough time for a proper catch up this evening :0( but...

like the divided sunflower sprout and the broken pipe my favourite of the three

job well done on the sensual, saucy and conveys a mood without being too in the face as it were

glad you had a nice birthday, and i reckon you deserve those birthday treats after all your hard work with your camera :0))

x

Hi Fleur

Thanks for taking the time to pop past for a catch up and your kind words.

The cameras and lenses have had a good work out since I got them :D

Cheers

I bet they have Dawn!!!!!! You are so dilligent with your 52s, always impressed with how much thought you put into everything and your thought process in general. Really shows how to get the most out of the challenge, great inspiration for everyone I reckon! It sounded easy at the start....1 pic a week, but I have found fitting it in is tough, not so much the picture taking as I'm obsessively at that, but selecting, and processing and coming here because I then have to spend time viewing as many as poss.....!!!!

I bet they have Dawn!!!!!! You are so dilligent with your 52s, always impressed with how much thought you put into everything and your thought process in general. Really shows how to get the most out of the challenge, great inspiration for everyone I reckon! It sounded easy at the start....1 pic a week, but I have found fitting it in is tough, not so much the picture taking as I'm obsessively at that, but selecting, and processing and coming here because I then have to spend time viewing as many as poss.....!!!!

Hiya Fleur

Thank you for your very kind words, which are much appreciated and so encouraging.

When I started this project I set myself a personal goal and challenge to give careful thought to each theme ... sometimes the ideas just come to mind and others are more challenging and take much longer to process in my mind.

I now look back on the first half of the project and smile because I feel I am on track with that aim, and most important of all is the amount of learning I have gained along the way. Everyone has been so supportive and encouraging and without same I don't know if I would have reached this stage. So even though I think of the ideas and take the photos, it is the valued contribution from all who spur me on ... and for that I thank everyone.

Indeed it did sound easy at the start ... 1 pic/week ... so I am amazed at how I, and others, have at times thought of more than one photo for a theme .... and each week I look forward to viewing fellow members ideas, which are all inspirational to me too.

Fleur, you are doing fantastic with your project too and I appreciate it is a challenge at times to think of a photo for a theme, let alone contribute to others threads, but I tell you something .... when I look at my 'subscribed posts' and see that you have posted a photo/comment I am always keen to read same because you make a real effort and offer valued critique .... which I am sure is appreciated by all.

BTW have you seen the link about our planned meet? If not let me know and I will send you the link. It would be great to meet!

Keep up the good work and spirit ... and once again ... THANK YOU :)

Cheers

Dawn x

Great shots of Reuben, they work really well together and the B&W is great for them.

Hi Colin

Thank you for the feedback, I do like the b&w conversion and most of all I enjoyed watching Reuben enjoying himself.

----

To all I have not been very well this week and am having a hard time. I hope to catch up with you all soon when I feel in better spirits.

I have popped past to just take a look at what everyone has been up to and the photos so far are very impressive. Apologies I have not left comments, but my mind is all over the show at the moment so once I can focus I will leave comments.

I have not really used my camera much this week, although I got a photo today ... not looked at it yet so not sure how it has come out because my heart wasn't really in the moment and with very unsteady hands, even with OS I'm perhaps a bit hesitant to look at it right now.

I will be back soon...

Take care

Dawn x

Dawn sod the holiday.... All to much hassle .

Just come to mine for weekend away ..... Let the kids play shoot some nice images and enjoy yourself.....

Offer is open...(y)

Awww, sorry to hear you're not feeling on top form chuck , keep smiling & take it easy....we're all sending you loads of :hug2:

Thanks babes, I have had a really bad week, been building up for a while now, but I will survive. Just have to take things easy for a while.

Hope you're on the road to recovery soon.

Best wished, Andy.

Thanks Andy x

Dawn sod the holiday.... All to much hassle .

Just come to mine for weekend away ..... Let the kids play shoot some nice images and enjoy yourself.....

Offer is open...(y)

Hiya Dave, thanks ... you are right about the holiday ... I am going to have to make other plans and once again postpone the venture, I am just not up to it at the moment. I think a weekend away to yours will be just what Reuben and I need he will have great fun with your kids and I know I am looking forward to some studio lessons. I'll keep you posted. Cheers you are a star!

It's Kev isn't it, I thought you two had gone quiet.
I bet it's those boxes again, he never shares them :LOL:

Hope you're feeling better soon Dawn

:LOL: Neil .... when is your birthday? I am going to buy you a huge wooden spoon!

Thanks for the well wishes, I'm sure with the meds and some R&R I will be on top form again soon.

I'll just have to pace myself over the next few weeks, but will be round to visit your posts over the coming days.

Cheers

so the spoon AND pot come as a set???? (y) awesome... can you get it engraved with Neil's name.. :nuts: .. 'This pot belongs to Neil... '

:LOL: fantastic idea! Consider it done!

i'll nick his profile pic and get it slapped on a mug at snappy snaps... :naughty:

Talking about nicking .... you've nicked one of my ideas for this week's theme of 'smell' ..... so watch it!

But a good idea about the mug.

Right have to post my 'smelly' theme now :D

Cheers

Hiya

Well here I am again, late .... but it has been such a stressful week and one in which I have not been very well and with very little inspiration for photography. However, yesterday I got one shot, but was more a quick grab and shoot. Then today I had a bit of quiet time and pulled myself together to get the other two shots.

Granted, I could have just gone with one shot, considering I have been told by doc to take it easy and relax, but I find my photography relaxes me ... so I took it all in my stride today and took as long as I needed to do the other two.

So here are my takes on Smell:

1. The smell of cut grass .... one of the quintessential summertime treats

5969842896_f29e7fab39_b.jpg

[/url] The smell of cut grass (1294) by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]
EDIT: new version

This is the tractor/mower that comes ever summer to cut the grass area outside my house. The first time they come to cut the grass in Spring is always a good sign for me as the fresh smell of cut grass heralds the impending summer.

Not the best of photos, it was taken hand held and I didn't want the chap to see me taking a photo of him, so had to act quick :LOL:

2. The smell of money ... and the sweet smell of success all rolled into one

5966857627_37223261e6_b.jpg
[/url]
IMG_1392 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

This is a subject that was inspired by Colin's (Barrysprout) posts 261 of his photo52 (10/05/2011). When I saw that the coins made up the shield on the back of a £1 coin from the series I set out to start collecting them. It has taken some time and every time I was handed change I checked to see if I had been given one of the coins. I had managed to get all except one, which I just couldn't find. Fortunately Matt (MWHCVT) came to my rescue. I had mentioned to him somewhere that I was on the lookout for a 50p and he PM'd me to say he had one for me .... which he kindly popped in the post and it arrived on Tuesday.

Also an interesting fact that I read was that 'the smell of money' is not from the coin itself, but rather from the metal reacting with the skin releasing metal-free chemicals erupting into the air.

So I thought this photo fit quite well, from a different perspective of the theme.

3. The smellier the cheese ... the better :D

5967273855_7d6a5b940a_b.jpg
[/url]
IMG_1397 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

This was my original intention for the theme. I absolutely love cheese and the smellier the better. Rather than just take a photo of a block of cheese, I got a few of my favourites and also included some slices of Chorizo sausage and garlic, and the grapes are just to add some sweetness and colour.

Please feel free to leave any comments. This time I have tried to use some natural light in varying degrees using wax paper on the windows and filtering the amount of light into the room using the curtains.

Thanks for all your feedback and comments on the previous theme, and also for the well wishes.

Now to get moving on the next theme.

Cheers

Last edited:
soooooo mon ami... you went one further and did three takes in retribution to my stealing...yeah..stealing YOUR idea...

even though my telepathic powers have been playing up due to the pollen count and the fact Anglian Water have been digging up the road...obviously looking for water...personally i'd try a deep well.. :shrug:

..anyhow... back to the 3 takes...

grass cutting, theme fitting but there just seems to be something wrong with the green of the green grass.. maybe me... maybe my monitor..maybe the fact i didn't know you were taking this shot and worried when you texted last and flamed me for stealing your idea.. :razz:

take 2... YOU rotter... i was saving my pennies desperately trying to find all of the coins to complete the set.... damn you Dawnster... YOU win this time... but i'll be back... i'm sure i have a three pound note with a mis print on it that i can submit for WEIRD...

and finally take 3... you always manage to do good product photography..how do you do it.. this looks delicious as inviting... may i tuck into the grapes now...my ONLY wonder is.. is the crop a little tight.? and is the sausage a little OOF..? could be the last of the homemade potato wine i finished off tonight ... :nuts: ... we'll wait for others to comment.

...and don't worry.. i should have another batch of chateux Maris Piper 2011 by the meet date...2 days ago they were still in ground...(y)

again you come up with the goods not just as a also ran but a high flyer i cant say anything else other then superb, every time, every shot ,every theme i mean love the idea about the smell of grass , classic (y)

Hiya Dawn, 3 nice pics there. All bang on the theme. My 2 faves are the cheese and the money photos. I remember Colin's pic, I have all the coins waiting to be photographed, I just haven't got around to doing it yet. Yours looks really good, the background and lighting are spot on. I love your cheese and cracker selection. The crop is a bit tight, but I think it adds to the photo tbh, it really does draw you in. I love cheese, but can't eat the stiltons though, put me flat on my back with a migraine! Anyway I am rambling. I look forward to seeing your takes on "weird" !(y)

Back