weekly Drodd's Photo52 for 2011 - Week 51, 52 and bonus: Light, Glass, Nature (post 1545)

Hi Dawn,

Wind: The sky on the singing tree shot is amazing and the overall exposure seems spot on to me.

Also like your idea for the turbines.

Your imagination knows no bounds.... the dinosaur idea is tops, and also really love the Evolution Park shots. The thought going into your shots makes me really jealous.

Hiya Ciaran,

Thank you for the kind comments, I am glad you like the images.

As for my imagination .... I wonder sometimes myself where I get the ideas :LOL:

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hiya all,

Week 33 already and this theme of 'Record' had me thinking big time.

I have opted to go with the interpretation of 'record' being an account of information or facts of a particular subject collected as a means of preserving knowledge and known history of performance, activities and achievements of my local community Clayton Le Moors.

Following the St George's Day celebrations on the towns, Barnes Square, I joined folk for the 'Signs of Life ... discovering the heritage of Clayton Le Moors' walk which leads one on a history trail around the town following plaques that reflects an aspect of life or an individual who is important to the history of Clayton Le Moors.

Although these photos were not taken during this week, I had taken them to put together a mini record of same and which I was hoping would fit in with one of the Photo52 themes .... for which I think this one is quite apt. So I have produced the following montage recording some of the plaques along the way and included details of same from the booklet received on the day.

I hope you enjoy the mini record I have produced of the town where I was born and now live.

Record of Clayton by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr

Normal Beginnings, Hare and Hounds Pub, Whalley Road
Clayton Le Moors was originally a tract of barren land awarded to Robert de Lacy, by William the Conqueror for his services in the Norman invasion of England in 1066. By 1243 the town was known as "Cleyton", deriving from the Old English words 'claeg' and 'tun' meaning a settlement of clay soil. By 1284, it had become Clayton super Moras. Moras means 'high tract of barren land', referring to the high ground between Accrington and Great Harwood. (Ref: 'A History of Clayton Le Moors' by Richard Trappes Lomax)

Mercerisation of Cotton, Mercer House, Mercer Park
John Mercer, and industrial chemist, developed a process named 'mercerisation' for softening an strengthening cotton using caustic soda, which in turn makes the treated fabric easier to dye and is still used today. In 1851 he gave a gift of handkerchiefs to Queen Victoria at the Great Exhibition and in return for services to British Industry was awarded a carriage. Mercer hall and its grounds, Mercer Park, were left to the people of Clayton and are still enjoyed by many today.

Dr Lovelace's Soaps, Mill House
Here is the site where Dr Lovelace's Soap Factory once stood. He was the inventor of the "Dr Lovelace's Floating Soap" and found fame the world over due to the fact that its floating meant you would never lose the soap in the bath again!

Whit Sunday Walks, All Saints Church, Church Street
The Whit Sunday Walks were a tradition in Clayton for many years which involved a parade of people from the church donning top hats, morning coats and white dresses. Services were held as usual in the morning, whilst in the afternoon the men were at the Enfield and Accrington derby football match and the mothers would take their children to the fairground. The people of Clayton would line the streets to watch.

Eric Morecambe, Barnes Street
One of Clayton's most famous residents has to be John Eric Bartholomew; half of the comedy double act, Morecambe & Wise.

Originally board in Morecambe, he then was moved to Clayton during the early war years, although there is still debate as to the actual house. He served as a young man conscripted to work in the mines ('Bevin Boy') during World War II. Awarded six BAFTA's and an OBE, Eric died in 1984, leaving an enduring legacy of entertainment for all generations.

The Accrington Pals, Arthur Wilson Centre, Pickup Street
The Accrington Pals were a group of local young men, often friends and relatives, who bravely put themselves forward in the early years of the First World War. Protecting the Suez Canal in Egypt proved to be the calm before the storm as The Pals then saw their first action in France at the Battle of the Somme, 1 July 1916. The order came to capture the village of Serre in order to allow British troops to advance. Of 720 Accrington Pals who took part in the attack, 584 were killed, wounded or missing. The roll of honour can be found at the war memorial in Mercer Park.

Nori Brickworks, Whalley Road
The Nori Brickworks at Clayton Le Moors is said to make some of the hardest glazed bricks in the world. When the first bricks were produced, the makers did not take into account the mirroring process, thus the word 'Iron' became 'Nori' which has stuck for generations. Since the founding of these works the bricks have been used worldwide and it is Nori bricks that make the foundations of the world famous Empire State Building in New York.

Thurston Smith, Chequers
Thurston Smith, as self taught engineer, spent his working day at Nori Brickworks. His spare time was used to create extremely intricate and precise fine tooled replicas of large industrial machines. Made from bricks, he also created a scale model of Clayton, including its canals and mills, which has become an invaluable historical record. Thurston had a poor education, evident in the diaries he obviously struggled tow rite, which makes his accomplishments even more amazing. The machines and model are displayed at Oswaldtwistle Mills in Church.

Blakes Hydram, All Speeds, Royal Works, Atlas Street
In the mid 1800's John Blake invented a water pump that moved water from one place to another using nothing but the energy contained in the flowing stream of the river itself. The pump needs no electricity to operate and in today's eco friendly climate it is used across the globe, including power the waters that flow in the pools and waterfalls in the gardens that surround the Taj Mahal in Agra, India.

In Rememberance, North Lancs Rd Transport Training, Transport House, Whalley Road
On 20 June 1940 during the first 'silent' North West air raid over Clayton le Moors two houses were destroyed. One family in particular were affected - Nancy Ramsbottom and her daughter Beatrice were killed and her husband, Ephraim Ramsbottom, was seriously injured and died the following day after a foot amputation. Their son, also call Ephraim, escaped uninjured through the back window.

I decided to place them all on a dark background because the walls each plaque is mounted to are different, i.e., some stone, brick, painted and the varying colours didn't blend well for the montage.

The above was my initial idea, hence why I posted same first. Following on from the above history though I made a visit to Oswaldtwistle Mills in Church during the week and visited the display relating to Thurston Smith which is quite interesting. I took some photos of same to create another montage of some of the records there and relating to the above extract:

6058860187_e3b4c292df_b.jpg

[/url] Record of History by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Granted this is probably not the best of images ... it was a bit rushed and as it is in a mill and small space the lighting was not best and I had to crop some of the shots to get the parts I needed for this image.

Last but not least, I decided to also include one of the photos I took to create my Week 3 - Style image which I thought was quite apt too as it has the #33 on it to represent this week :D

6059914312_281dd97a1c_b.jpg
[/url]
Record by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

If you have reached this far .... thank you for taking the time to look through this record. Please feel free to leave any c&c.

Cheers

#1 record is a find photograph. Anything with Eric in gets a massive (y) from me. The black BG contrasts very well with the badges. Border also works well.

#2 record not your best. Does look rushed and the photographs seem to merge without internal borders.

#3 record I like the colours on the record, but the rest seems to lack contrast, especially around the arm. Is the text on the record straight?

Evolutions #1 and #2 are really funky and I can visualise them on a club wall.

Evolution #3 is even funkier. Wacky and hell and a different take on the usual evolution ape to man poster we see.

Cheers.

haha 33 for a 33 :) ideal - love the colours on this one - not normally a fan of borders either but this one seems to work really well..
:)

Hiya Jeff, thanks glad you like the border too.

#1 record is a find photograph. Anything with Eric in gets a massive (y) from me. The black BG contrasts very well with the badges. Border also works well.

#2 record not your best. Does look rushed and the photographs seem to merge without internal borders.

#3 record I like the colours on the record, but the rest seems to lack contrast, especially around the arm. Is the text on the record straight?

Evolutions #1 and #2 are really funky and I can visualise them on a club wall.

Evolution #3 is even funkier. Wacky and hell and a different take on the usual evolution ape to man poster we see.

Cheers.

Hiya Andy, thanks for the comments and critique. Glad you like #1 .... that took some work to put together. #2 was rushed as it was closing time and I had to get the shots quickly and having to dodge my son who was flitting about the place, however this was more a photo to show some of the machines etc that relate to the first image. #3 is a photo I took earlier in the year for the Style theme and I just revisited same. The text is not straight, but I didn't think this mattered as when the record is playing the text is never going to be straight :D Also glad you liked my take on evolution, I enjoyed putting those together.

Hi Dawn, a I have taken a look at your pics, and I like them, especially number 1, the layout works really well. I will have to pop back at some point and read your accounts when I am more awake. (y)

Hi Michael, thanks for the comments. I'm sure you will enjoy the write up when you pop back later ;)

Hi Dawn,
The first image for me. I like the black background and the framing.
Ceri

Hi Ceri, thanks for the comment ... glad you like the background and frame.

Thanks all for the feedback, much appreciated.

Cheers

Hi hun

sorry for being slack in getting round to commenting on your thread....life's more than a bit hectic at the mo (y)

What a superb idea for the 1st of your record shots...can't find anything neg to say...great positioning of the individual items ,love the colors & border & really interesting write up about each of the pieces...you're nothing if not thorough & I dread to think just how much time you put in to that image...brilliant :clap:

I like all the individual shots in your 2nd image , particularly the bottom left one but also feel that maybe some sort of thin internal border may have worked a little better..but thats only my opinion .

Record 3...thought I recognised that shot from one of the earlier themes & good idea to revisit it....love the colors on the vinyl , as the record was presumably playing the words being off level don't bother me...it gives the feeling of movement ...nice work :clap:

As always I'm in awe of the amount of time & effort you manage to spend on your images...keep up the great work & look forward to catching up at the meet (y)

Hi hun

sorry for being slack in getting round to commenting on your thread....life's more than a bit hectic at the mo (y)

What a superb idea for the 1st of your record shots...can't find anything neg to say...great positioning of the individual items ,love the colors & border & really interesting write up about each of the pieces...you're nothing if not thorough & I dread to think just how much time you put in to that image...brilliant :clap:

I like all the individual shots in your 2nd image , particularly the bottom left one but also feel that maybe some sort of thin internal border may have worked a little better..but thats only my opinion .

Record 3...thought I recognised that shot from one of the earlier themes & good idea to revisit it....love the colors on the vinyl , as the record was presumably playing the words being off level don't bother me...it gives the feeling of movement ...nice work :clap:

As always I'm in awe of the amount of time & effort you manage to spend on your images...keep up the great work & look forward to catching up at the meet (y)

Hiya Lynne,

Thank you for your kind comments and there is no need to apologise, I appreciate you taking the time to pop past and leave such fantastic feedback ;)

I have not been very well lately, and I view this project and photography as part of my self therapy at the moment .... to prevent me from going totally :wacky: hence why I am spending some time correlating the themes. It helps me to focus ... something I have been battling with of late. Without it I don't know where I would be.

I am so glad you like and appreciate the time and effort put into the first image. It did take a while to compile it and considering it was composed of 10 photographs I wasn't sure how to present it .... so I just took my time trying to think of the best way and in the end I am happy with the result. I am also thankful to the person who arranged the walk and for the information she gave me regards each of the plaques.

I can see what you mean about a slight dividing line on the 2nd shot, and I agree it would benefit from same. Something I will revisit when I have a chance.

Also glad you noticed the LP shot from the previous Style theme. To be honest, I can't recall now how I took that photo that night .... I shot some with the deck turning and some without. But heyho .... I still like it even if the words aren't straight.

I am aiming to make progress, health wise, to be at the meet next month .... and looking forward to meeting all who attend. (y)

Take care my friend, and take it easy too .... you don't want to burn out like I did.

Hiya Dawn, just thought I would pop and say I have read your little write up, very interesting indeed. (y)

Hiya Michael

Thanks for popping past again and I am happy to hear you enjoyed the write up. I must say from the walk that day and hearing about the history behind the little town where I was born and now live .... I feel quite honoured to reside here, I just wish everyone understood and respected same in the community :D

Thanks again both of you .... you are a great support to me through this challenge and I respect you as friends and fellow photographers.

Cheers

Hi Dawn

Firstly appologies for not commenting on your thread for ages... I've been so busy and not had the time to do my own 52 never mind keep up with others.

A bit like Adies coment on your evolution photos I find it harder and harder to start commenting on your pictures! Im not taking away from the work I know you put in... but I just think your work is often about image making... rather than what I would call photography. Now I know everyones interpretation of photography is different but I think you concentrate to much on the image rather than the photograph itself! This wont come as a new comment to you im sure from me. But I do enjoy your photos much more than your images!

Dont think for a minuite im critical of the effort you put in, no one on this 52 has put more time and effort in both in number of images produced or comments on others work. I would just love to see more photographs from you which push the boundaries of your skill. Images that blow me away but not because of your already highly developed post processing skills... but just wow images straight out the camera.

I guess for me your work just not my cup of tea... so when I look forward to seeing your image each week its hard for me to be critical as your working in an area I spend little time.

I'd love to see you shoot an early morning landscape... or a jet plane... or a photojournalistic portrait ... some street photography of a town etc etc...

I do recognise however you have been under the weather with illness and that is never easy... so im glad to hear you are on the mend.

Sorry if that sounds so negative... It's just my thoughts!

Take care,

Mark

Last edited:
Hi Dawn

Firstly appologies for not commenting on your thread for ages... I've been so busy and not had the time to do my own 52 never mind keep up with others.

A bit like Adies coment on your evolution photos I find it harder and harder to start commenting on your pictures! Im not taking away from the work I know you put in... but I just think your work is often about image making... rather than what I would call photography. Now I know everyones interpretation of photography is different but I think you concentrate to much on the image rather than the photograph itself! This wont come as a new comment to you im sure from me. But I do enjoy your photos much more than your images!

Dont think for a minuite im critical of the effort you put in, no one on this 52 has put more time and effort in both in number of images produced or comments on others work. I would just love to see more photographs from you which push the boundaries of your skill. Images that blow me away but not because of your already highly developed post processing skills... but just wow images straight out the camera.

I guess for me your work just not my cup of tea... so when I look forward to seeing your image each week its hard for me to be critical as your working in an area I spend little time.

I'd love to see you shoot an early morning landscape... or a jet plane... or a photojournalistic portrait ... some street photography of a town etc etc...

I do recognise however you have been under the weather with illness and that is never easy... so im glad to hear you are on the mend.

Take care,

Mark

Mark/Dawn....

i guess i can see where you're coming from with Dawn's work... evolution was a bit PP OTT!! maybe, but things did start as photos... and i'd still like dawn to continue her work, though perhaps post the original shot..THEN PP'd versions... for this is her project..art work in construction...

maybe with a lot of hobbyists..we don't have the confidence to move onto the next photo before we think we're too happy with the current one.

Dawn..have you tried being a 20 a day sort of girl... blank the rear display off or turn it off... and then go out and take 20 photos...back to the days of film where you had to wait til you'd developed it.

i can't see you taking a jet plane..BUT i can see you on the waters edge...taking a landscape shot....if you haven't shot WORK yet...find a field with a shepherd or a farmer with a tractor as they are about... make it the focal point...and take a nice..WIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEE shot... remmeber your thirds... as thats how much cake i count as a portion (y)

so mark is right in his opnion...but its your project dawn....you take the shots... few comment on our work these days.... fewer comment on mine ... i wonder why :thinking: .... not going to stop me though.... less comments mean more room for me to post my photos together...

.... now where are my boxes.... got to get them ready for the weekend :help: .. we're heading north and south west...then mmmm east again....in 48 hours :D see...i'm not mad . :shrug:

...and lastly...dawn you were bold getting your pins out... i don't dare even on the beach... but then... beach = borat outfit .. :naughty: .. yeah i know.. THAT picture would have to be PP alot...

Hi Dawn

Take care,

Mark

Hi Mark, no need to apologise I know how it is with time constraints etc. Thanks for taking the time to compose a structured reply and I hear what you are saying.

Mark/Dawn....

i guess i can see where you're coming from with Dawn's work... evolution was a bit PP OTT!! maybe, but things did start as photos... and i'd still like dawn to continue her work, though perhaps post the original shot..THEN PP'd versions... for this is her project..art work in construction...

maybe with a lot of hobbyists..we don't have the confidence to move onto the next photo before we think we're too happy with the current one.

Dawn..have you tried being a 20 a day sort of girl... blank the rear display off or turn it off... and then go out and take 20 photos...back to the days of film where you had to wait til you'd developed it.

i can't see you taking a jet plane..BUT i can see you on the waters edge...taking a landscape shot....if you haven't shot WORK yet...find a field with a shepherd or a farmer with a tractor as they are about... make it the focal point...and take a nice..WIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEE shot... remmeber your thirds... as thats how much cake i count as a portion (y)

so mark is right in his opnion...but its your project dawn....you take the shots... few comment on our work these days.... fewer comment on mine ... i wonder why :thinking: .... not going to stop me though.... less comments mean more room for me to post my photos together...

.... now where are my boxes.... got to get them ready for the weekend :help: .. we're heading north and south west...then mmmm east again....in 48 hours :D see...i'm not mad . :shrug:

...and lastly...dawn you were bold getting your pins out... i don't dare even on the beach... but then... beach = borat outfit .. :naughty: .. yeah i know.. THAT picture would have to be PP alot...

Hiya Kev, thanks too for the well constructed reply. Not sure about the 20 a day sort of girl .... I have days where I can take loads of photos and others where I don't even pick the camera up. I can see what you mean though about posting the original photo of a processed one .... something I will have to consider doing. Had to laff at the last comment :LOL:

:ty: Dawn, that is very much appreciated. (y)
You are welcome ;)

Thanks again for the feedback.

Cheers

Hiya Kev, thanks too for the well constructed reply. Not sure about the 20 a day sort of girl .... I have days where I can take loads of photos and others where I don't even pick the camera up. I can see what you mean though about posting the original photo of a processed one .... something I will have to consider doing. Had to laff at the last comment :LOL:

try it...its constraining... i've rattled off 1700+ before i got to work... think how i'm goign to feel looking through them... :D ... but..they are for my 'record' ... so wait and see...

(y)

1700+ omg! I have got 456 from a two week holiday of which id say 250 are keepers! I guess i still press the shutter with a film mentality! Ive had my 5d for 4 years and only got 14000 aprox shutter counts! I dont know where ud even start to pp 1700 from one morning!

1700+ omg! I have got 456 from a two week holiday of which id say 250 are keepers! I guess i still press the shutter with a film mentality! Ive had my 5d for 4 years and only got 14000 aprox shutter counts! I dont know where ud even start to pp 1700 from one morning!

Quality not quantity (y)

I like the colours in the record (shame about the group :D)

not sure about the records of history, bit mish mash and doesn't really catch my eye or hold it's attention

Keep it up, you're doing great (y)

:D .... mark.. its for my record shot... and i've ended up with 3600+ shots... and not PP a single one... all JPGs, and being run through a few programs ready to be uploaded... (y)

sorry to hear youve been poorly Dawn :0((((((( xxx

but glad your photography gives you something positive to focus on, I have been in a similar place myself a few times this year when life just weighs that bit heavy

lovely, an actual record, vinyl is fab, and i would imagine tricky to photograph well, so well done say I!

singing ringing tree, how mad, never heard of it, thats the sort of place I could see myself spending a lot of time at, a) listening to, and b) trying to catch a cracking pic of it at sunset! Much prefer this as a pic to the turbines one

really like the processing on the first two evolution ones, very cool nightclub feel, magazine sort of style

the weird wall art is great, reminds me of Banksy a little bit

and the pic of reuban is fab

think the second smell of grass one the best of that bunch

take care
Fleur

try it...its constraining... i've rattled off 1700+ before i got to work... think how i'm goign to feel looking through them... :D ... but..they are for my 'record' ... so wait and see...

(y)

Hi Kev, I have now seen your record shot/vid and it is fantastic (y)

I like the colours in the record (shame about the group :D)

not sure about the records of history, bit mish mash and doesn't really catch my eye or hold it's attention

Keep it up, you're doing great (y)

Hiya Emily,

Thanks for the feedback .... so you don't like the Stylistics .... shame on you :shake:

I guess the records of history is a personal preference ... can't please everyone all of the time :D

Your comments are appreciate.

sorry to hear youve been poorly Dawn :0((((((( xxx

but glad your photography gives you something positive to focus on, I have been in a similar place myself a few times this year when life just weighs that bit heavy

lovely, an actual record, vinyl is fab, and i would imagine tricky to photograph well, so well done say I!

singing ringing tree, how mad, never heard of it, thats the sort of place I could see myself spending a lot of time at, a) listening to, and b) trying to catch a cracking pic of it at sunset! Much prefer this as a pic to the turbines one

really like the processing on the first two evolution ones, very cool nightclub feel, magazine sort of style

the weird wall art is great, reminds me of Banksy a little bit

and the pic of reuban is fab

think the second smell of grass one the best of that bunch

take care
Fleur

Hiya Fleur

Thank you for your kind words ... indeed this year has been a challenge to say the least, but I am slowly making progress and photography is what keeps my spirits up.

Indeed vinyl records can be a bit tricky to photograph, especially as they are so reflective, however I am happy with the reflective colours.

The Singing Tree is something else, especially when there is wind and it hums its tones. I like your thinking .... that is just what it was like that evening. I actually visited the sight twice in that week. There is another Panopticon called the Halo (some photos of same on my Flickr page if you are interested) and that is even more spectacular, especially in the evening when it is lit up.

I'm glad you like the processing on the evolution shots. I realise that it may be a bit OTT as some have commented, but I like them :D

I also thought of Banksy when I saw the wall art ... but the artist is actually called Phlegm.

Thanks again for your comments and feedback, much appreciated.

You take care too :)

To all, thanks again

Cheers

I can see why the evolution shots not to everyones taste, as a rule, I dont like lots of processing myself, but for me at least, they work there

Yes, halo looks very cool also, and looking up some info about that, found pics of the great Promenade Show also at Blackpool. We just dont really seem to do these sorts of art installations in devon and cornwall sadly!

Hiya

Well here I am a bit later than usual and posting after the new theme has been announced, oh well.

I took these photos last Sunday with the idea of maybe using them if I didn't come up with anything else. I had some other ideas .... but just couldn't find the motivation to shoot them ... so I'm going with these that I took of Reuben, at work as a geologist, chipping away at the stone block to find the hidden gems. There were 12 in total that he excavated and he had great fun finding them :D Obviously mum was left to do the tidying up :LOL:

1. Reuben at work .... and play:
6066840240_49bd312e46_b.jpg
[/url] Work (2942) by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

2. Reuben finding his first gem:
6066843548_f30c1b7955_b.jpg
[/url] Work (2945) by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

As always ... I welcome any comments or critique.

Now what to do for 'blur' :thinking:

Cheers

No motivation...hope it passes, but I know that feeling.

Anyway, I'm viewing via iTouch so detailed comments later.

The b&w gives a real industrial feel to it. The hammer (?) in the 1 seems over exposed but I like the composition and the concentration on Ruben's face.

Number 2, as above , perhaps a slightly lower angle?

Isabelle bought something similar recently and couldn't wait to get home so did the chizzeling in the back of my car....greeters

Cheers and I have loads of ideas fir blur but getting them in the camera is the hard part.

Dawn, I love these... great focus, love the processing which emphasizes his hands, and what a great idea!
well done :)

dawn, i like the first over the second... might be the elbow clip..not sure... either one fits the theme ..

love the mono conversion. adds to the moment of the hard worker...and Roo's focused expression..good capture.

;)
shame you were left to pick up the pieces...but hey... treasure hunting is a tiring business... (y)

Yeah, #1 edges it for me. It's a bit more of an action photograph.

Any idea what caused the slight blur of his fingers? Doesn't look lie motion blur...:thinking:

No motivation...hope it passes, but I know that feeling.

Anyway, I'm viewing via iTouch so detailed comments later.

The b&w gives a real industrial feel to it. The hammer (?) in the 1 seems over exposed but I like the composition and the concentration on Ruben's face.

Number 2, as above , perhaps a slightly lower angle?

Isabelle bought something similar recently and couldn't wait to get home so did the chizzeling in the back of my car....greeters

Cheers and I have loads of ideas fir blur but getting them in the camera is the hard part.

Yeah, #1 edges it for me. It's a bit more of an action photograph.

Any idea what caused the slight blur of his fingers? Doesn't look lie motion blur...:thinking:

Hiya Andy, indeed I hope the motivation returns soon. I went out yesterday and got quite a few fungi shots and a nice sunset ... but just can't bring myself to sort through them, not to mention I still have photos from Tuesday to process :bang:

I too thought the b&w gave it more of an industrial feel, hence why I opted for the mono conversion.

I agree the mallet does appear a tad +OE ... I had to use the pop-up flash and I think that is what cause this to happen.

Perhaps I should have crouched down to get a lower angle shot ... but I was trying to take the photos without distracting Roo too much as I wanted to get natural action shots.

I'm not sure about the blur of his fingers ... although I think it may be a tad motion blur .. actually coming to think of it I have some motion blur shots too ... I could use one for this week :LOL:

Dawn, I love these... great focus, love the processing which emphasizes his hands, and what a great idea!
well done :)

Thanks Maria, I'm glad you like these shots. I added the bit of vignette to focus on the hands.

dawn, i like the first over the second... might be the elbow clip..not sure... either one fits the theme ..

love the mono conversion. adds to the moment of the hard worker...and Roo's focused expression..good capture.

;) shame you were left to pick up the pieces...but hey... treasure hunting is a tiring business... (y)

Thank Kev, I see what you mean about the elbow clip. Glad you like the mono, I thought it quite apt for these photos. I was quite surprised that Roo didn't do any funny poses or cheezy grins ... but then I suppose he was too engrossed in his work :D

Dawn

I'm trying to get back into the swing and failing dismally!!! Just back from a mere week in the van and well off key.

I love the record shot, particularly the colours in the vinyl. Reuben is a good model, staying focused and not being distracted by the camera (y)

Hiya Tina, thanks for popping past I hope you had a great time in the van. Thanks for your comments and I too was impressed Roo wasn't distracted by the camera ... he just carried on as though I wasn't even there .... that is until he had finished and left me to tidy up :LOL:

Thanks again all for the comments and feedback, much appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Dawn

2 grat captures for work...Roo looks so engrossed I bet he din't even notice his mum had the camera out :LOL:

I'm following the trend this time & going with number 1...think the angle is better & love the concentration on his face (y) The vingette ( think I see one ) works well as it draws you to the tools & the B&W suits it perfectly :clap:

Hiya Dawn, 2 great images for work. Like them both, but I do prefer number 1 out of the 2. Black and white is ideal for theses. Well done to Reuben for not being put off by the camera. (y)(y)

Hi Michael, thanks for the comments.

Hi Dawn

2 grat captures for work...Roo looks so engrossed I bet he din't even notice his mum had the camera out :LOL:

I'm following the trend this time & going with number 1...think the angle is better & love the concentration on his face (y) The vingette ( think I see one ) works well as it draws you to the tools & the B&W suits it perfectly :clap:

Hi Lynne, thanks for the feedback .... Roo was very engrossed. Yes there is a slight vignette which I applied to focus the attention on the hands/tools.

Cheers

Hi Dawn

I defo prefer the first image! I think simply he looks more at work there!

It sounds daft but the tea towel hanging in the background is slightly off putting... but appart from that its fine! I personally would also remove the vignette efect. I still think you will get the focus on the hand tools without the unneccessary filter effect which I dont think adds to the image.

Appart from that though I like it... It's nice to see a picture rather than an image!!!! Really nice!

Hope you get your MOJO back soon

Mark

Hi Dawn

I defo prefer the first image! I think simply he looks more at work there!

It sounds daft but the tea towel hanging in the background is slightly off putting... but appart from that its fine! I personally would also remove the vignette efect. I still think you will get the focus on the hand tools without the unneccessary filter effect which I dont think adds to the image.

Appart from that though I like it... It's nice to see a picture rather than an image!!!! Really nice!

Hope you get your MOJO back soon

Mark

Hiya Mark .... thank you for your constructive feedback! I agree about the towel on the background ...but heyho that is what stops the draft coming through .... I'm sure you are familiar with same :D

D :)

Hey Dawn Liking week 34 Reuben looks like he was enjoying what he was doing and nice to see the safety goggles on also ;) The b+w works with these two.

Hope your all well.

Regards Dave(y)

Thanks Dave!

Hey Dawn Liking week 34 Reuben looks like he was enjoying what he was doing and nice to see the safety goggles on also ;) The b+w works with these two.

Hope your all well.

Regards Dave(y)

Hi Dawn,
Like most of the others i prefer number 1. Reuben makes a great model, so engrossed with his work. Glad he found the hidden gem.

Hi Dawn,
Like most of the others i prefer number 1. Reuben makes a great model, so engrossed with his work. Glad he found the hidden gem.

Hi Ceri,

Thank you .... I must say I prefer #1 too and thanks Reuben is getting used to being my main model :D. He is well impressed with his gems.

Cheers

really like these dawn, they have captured a good moment, but for me I would prefer it with out the safety glasses, also if you try this again try a slower shutter and 2nd curtain flash, as i noticed on the exif you flash comp -2, try get movement in the hammer

Really like your interpretation of the Work theme, the processing works for me :D it's great, I'm pleased that you put a description at to what Ruben was doing as TBH I would not have had a clue :bonk:

Keep up the great work Dawn

Matt :D

Back