weekly Drodd's Photo52 for 2011 - Week 51, 52 and bonus: Light, Glass, Nature (post 1545)

really like these dawn, they have captured a good moment, but for me I would prefer it with out the safety glasses, also if you try this again try a slower shutter and 2nd curtain flash, as i noticed on the exif you flash comp -2, try get movement in the hammer

Hi Dave, thanks for the comments and feedback. Unfortunately Roo had to wear the safety goggles (part of H&S) as there are bits of chippings that could get in his eyes. I did some with a slower shutter speed to get motion in the hammer. You know what kids are like, if they get a bee in their bonnet to do something there is no stopping them, so I had little time to prep for getting photos. Will be better prepared next time.

Really like your interpretation of the Work theme, the processing works for me :D it's great, I'm pleased that you put a description at to what Ruben was doing as TBH I would not have had a clue :bonk:

Keep up the great work Dawn

Matt :D

Hi Matt, thanks for the comments, glad you like the interpretation of 'work'. Thanks too for the encouragement. I am currently not very well, so not spending too much time here and my motivation is at such a low. Still have to see if I can sort something for the new theme.

#1 for me (y)

I realy like the PP, and the action shot is great, a good interpretation of the theme!

Keep it up :D

Hi Joe, thank you for popping past and commenting and also for the encouragement.

Thanks guys for the comments.

Cheers

Dawn :)

It's a shame you didn't take one with some motion blur of the hammer action, although I guess it was more a tapping action than a hammer action!

It's a nice shot though and the mono works well.

Hi Neil,

I did actually get some with motion blur, but didn't think they suited. Actually one would work for this week of 'blur' :LOL:

Thanks for the comments, glad you think the mono works well.

Cheers

Hi,

Well after what I consider to be probably one of my worst weeks in the past year so far .... this theme has more meaning than just the Photo52.

But I am still soldiering on, despite not being in the best frame of mind at times. Often being in much of a blur myself!

Anyway, I had taken some photos during the project which I thought may fit a theme .... eventually, plus one that follows on from last weeks shoot.

So here I give you my interpretation of blur:

1. Four-eyes

6092404613_71768e1e58_b.jpg
[/url] IMG_1001.CR2
by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

One of the neighbours cats posing for me .... well sort of ... it wouldn't keep still :LOL:

2. You spin me right round

6092945250_3794931c32_b.jpg
[/url]
IMG_7762 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Reuben at the play park.

3. Least we forget .... war is such a blur .... yet the memories remain

6092406239_d558980543_b.jpg
[/url]
IMG_7898.CR2 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

War memorial at Mercer Park.

4. Walkies ....

6092406945_2cf1598a5b_b.jpg
[/url]
IMG_7873 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Someone walking their dog at Mercer Park.

5. Mindful blur!

Well not sure if these are quite 'magic', but heyho I reckon any strange looking fungi, especially such tiny one in large quantity could leave one's mind a blur :LOL: (and no I have not consumed any of these .... I'm always like this :nuts:)

6107082693_31ed33241a_b.jpg
[/url]
Mushroom Blur (3345) by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Some shrooms from a fungi hunt last week.

6. A bit of motion blur ....

6066303301_f5299ee9da_b.jpg

[/url] Motion Blur by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

following on from last week's theme of 'work' .... some commented they wanted some motion in the hammer/mallet .... of which I got this shot.

I hope these haven't made your eyes too squweeef .... and that you can still see to comment on same :LOL:

Right ... now waiting in anticipation for the next theme .... bring it on!!!!

Cheers

dawn...THAT CAT!!! ... like it... but i can't look at it.... selective colouring is good.. BUT o m word... you've caught a freaky photo there... i much prefer the motion blur of Roo ... just enough blur to show what was moving and what was perfectly still..

the others are in the inbetweeners ... the mushrooms use a nice little DOF to create blur... so i can see possibly you intention of experiementing with all sorts of blur not just the obvious.

glad you're looking forward to the theme today (y) ... thats the sprirt.. BRING IT ON!!!

dawn...THAT CAT!!! ... like it... but i can't look at it.... selective colouring is good.. BUT o m word... you've caught a freaky photo there... i much prefer the motion blur of Roo ... just enough blur to show what was moving and what was perfectly still..

the others are in the inbetweeners ... the mushrooms use a nice little DOF to create blur... so i can see possibly you intention of experiementing with all sorts of blur not just the obvious.

glad you're looking forward to the theme today (y) ... thats the sprirt.. BRING IT ON!!!

Hi Kev, yeh the cat photo is freeky .... I actually have another of the same cat with the head facing forward but the eyes towards the side & back of head :LOL:

Blur was a theme I quite enjoyed as it is a subject I enjoy photographing.

Thanks for your feedback (y)

I was looking forward to the new theme, and have an idea for same .... but just need to find the inspiration and time to do same (and weather permitting).

The one of Roo I think it hits the theme the best.

You best not be losing your 52 mojo Dawn.
I praying for a reshoot draw on our meet weekend and you getting your legs out again :D :naughty:

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your comments. As for losing 52 mojo .... not quite ... it is more that I really haven't been well enough to focus too much on my photography in general in the past week, but I will bounce back, I'm sure.

:LOL: to the re-shoot on camp weekend ..... :razz:

Cheers

Loose her mojo....hhhhmmm, after posting them six, I don't think so.

Anyway, that cat...first thing I though was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ_RuxPxMXY.

Like it. Great selective colour and oooff must....stop....looking....into....them....eyes........:puke:

#2, just the right ammount of blur (unlike my boot...:shake:). Really like the greeny/blue olour.

#3, as an ex-Army man, my favourite of the set. Great use of the theme and the subject matter.

#4, blurry and I like the red, but the ladder and tree distract somewhat.

#5, if they are magic shrooms bag and bring some to the 52 meet...it's been a while....:nuts:

#6, the more I look at this one, the more I like it. The concentration and the sense of pleasure is superb.

Nice one.

Cheers.

Hi ya Dawn...hope you're on the mend :hug2:

Blur...I really envy your imagination & ability to come up with images like these .

That cat looks positively spookey :eek:

Of the other images the one that stands out & draws me each time I look is the 3rd one ...can't explain why...looks like it may have been shot through the haze of a battlefield ? Very powerful :clap:

Love the motion blur on the hammer as well(y)

Loose her mojo....hhhhmmm, after posting them six, I don't think so.

Anyway, that cat...first thing I though was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ_RuxPxMXY.

Like it. Great selective colour and oooff must....stop....looking....into....them....eyes........:puke:

#2, just the right ammount of blur (unlike my boot...:shake:). Really like the greeny/blue olour.

#3, as an ex-Army man, my favourite of the set. Great use of the theme and the subject matter.

#4, blurry and I like the red, but the ladder and tree distract somewhat.

#5, if they are magic shrooms bag and bring some to the 52 meet...it's been a while....:nuts:

#6, the more I look at this one, the more I like it. The concentration and the sense of pleasure is superb.

Nice one.

Cheers.

Hiya Andy,

Thanks for taking the time to provide in-depth critique and for the comments.

As for losing mojo .... :LOL: .... if not that .... must be my mind that I am losing :nuts:

Thanks for the link .... that brought back some memories ... and indeed quite fitting for the cat photo. Indeed quite a strange photo to look at .... even makes me feel a bit queezy.

The second shot was of Reuben spinning in the revolving dish on the local play park. I was quite happy with how this came out considering it was hand-held and quite a slow shutter speed.

I'm glad you like #3 .... it is one of my favs too. I thought this effect had a different take on such a sombre subject.

With #4 I can see what you mean about the ladder and the tree, but there wasn't much I could do about those as this was a quick shot.

:LOL: about bagging the shrooms .... :thinking: :D

I guess I could have also submitted this for last week's theme, but it seemed to suit this one better, which was quite a fluke.

Thanks again for your great feedback.

Cheers

Hi ya Dawn...hope you're on the mend :hug2:

Blur...I really envy your imagination & ability to come up with images like these .

That cat looks positively spookey :eek:

Of the other images the one that stands out & draws me each time I look is the 3rd one ...can't explain why...looks like it may have been shot through the haze of a battlefield ? Very powerful :clap:

Love the motion blur on the hammer as well(y)

Hiya Lynne,

Slowly on the mend thanks, will take some time before I am 100%, but I am plodding on.

Thanks for the kind words and comments. The imagination can be a bit of a bane at time :nuts:

The cat does look a bit spooky ..... would be great if I could have this one printed in such a way that it glows in the dark :eek: :LOL:

I like your thinking for #3 and can see exactly what you mean (y)

Glad you like the last one of Roo too.

Thanks for the text yesterday, hope you are keeping your chin up.

Take care x

Oh my goodness! That cat could hypnotize someone! What a freaky looking cat. Excellent for blur Dawn, as are the rest of the set. I quite like the war memorial and the shot of Reuben with the motion blur is great. Hope your feeling better now too (y)

Hiya Michael,

Thanks for the feedback and comments. I think I should title the cat ...'Look into my eyes' :LOL:

Glad you like the other photos too.

Cheers

Hi Dawn,
The cat image is one i really like but i too find it spookey. I like the war memorial and the one of Reuben. Another good set of images. Keep up the good work.
Ceri

Hi Dawn,
The cat image is one i really like but i too find it spookey. I like the war memorial and the one of Reuben. Another good set of images. Keep up the good work.
Ceri

Hiya Ceri,

Thanks for the comments. Indeed the cat is spookey :D

I'm now trying to think of something for 'Time', will have to see what I can conjure up for the new theme.

Cheers

5&6 do it for me; they're both interesting subjects and the hammer is a good action shot.

The shots with no focus are not to my preference :LOL:

Don't know why!

Keep up the good work :)

Thanks Joe ;)

Hiya

Running a bit late this week with posting .... things have been so hectic and to be honest I haven't had much chance for photography the last couple of weeks. So as I have been short of time I have resorted to using photos that I have taken during this Photo52. The first photo of a tree stump in the woodlands (which I have processed slightly different for this theme and have titled Rings of Time) is the one I submitted for the 2011 TP Day, and which I have found a slightly sarcastic poem about 'time' to accompany (from the Management Craft website http://www.managementcraft.com/2005/12/poem_human_tree.html):

1. Rings of Time
6140872753_15d7764052_b.jpg
[/url]
Rings of time by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Human Tree Rings

Day 354, where have they all gone
I think I skipped a few dozen, or perhaps
This is a quadruple reverse leap year
I feel robbed of time

Ah, the pleasures I did not get to - where are they now?

Can I request a credit to be applied to next year’s life?
I promise to live them all fully and wise
Exercise, eat right, be polite to the neighbors
Give time, money, and attention to worthy causes

It doesn’t hurt to ask, right?

100 days will do just fine
I’m sure you agree that it is only fair
The days be rolled over with no additional charge
A few extra thrown in would be a nice holiday gesture

Darn it, my charade has been revealed!

Woe is my heart for the blasted mirror gives me away
365 days worth of wrinkles and gravity lay in defiance
Revealing the truth about time served up, taken in, and pooped out
Fleshy notches, grooves, and downward curves speak like sequoia rings

I feel like a victim of scientific laws

Time’s arrow points only forward and slows not for mere mortals
Never asking consent before ticking off beyond the sunset
Each moment is an opportunity taken or lost in 60 seconds
Day 354 is moving away from me and out of my reach

I cannot be ruled by time I express fully

Days, hours, and minutes are of our making, our life rings
Reveal time wasted counting and moments fully enlivened
Being in the moment the only human action that beats time
Losses? Zero. Gains? Infinity.

All we are and have is this moment

..... in TIME

The second photo is one I took from the London Eye whilst attending the TUC Anti-cuts march in London earlier this year, which I'd titled 'Marching on London Time' so guess it fits the 'Time' theme too.

2. Marching on London Time

5569191547_98f68c0b2e_b.jpg

[/url]Marching on London Time by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

I had other ideas for the theme, but just not had the time to shoot theme, so this will have to do for week 36.

Yesterday I managed to get a quick snap which I may use for week 37, depending how they came out, otherwise I will make some time on the weekend to try to get something for 'mix'.

Hopefully things should start to calm down for me in the next few weeks.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback for 'blur'.

Now I need to catch up with viewing and commenting on fellow Photo52 projects.

Cheers

Last edited:
Love the cat, so evil,

And from where did you catch the Westminster clock? Brilliant (y)

Hiya Tina,

Thanks ... indeed the cat is a tad spooky :D

The photo of Big Ben was taken from the London Eye.

Cheers

Hiya Dawn

love the picture of big ben, were you flying by any chance? :D

Hiya Dawn

love the picture of big ben, were you flying by any chance? :D

Hiya Emily,

Thanks ..... indeed I was slow flying in a red bubble on a big eye :D

Cheers

Hiya Dawn, I really like the rings, and I like the processing, lovely rich colours. Big Ben picture is excellent, like it a lot. (y)

Hiya Michael,

Thanks for the comments, glad you like the processing and the BB photo.

Cheers

Hi Dawn, aka 'The Legs' (I'm still praying for a reshoot being drawn for our meet :D)

Both your 'Time' shots suit the theme, it's a shame you didn't get chance to take one specially for the week, but needs must.

I prefer the tree shot out of the two, assuming that is that the compass has not been added by you in PP. I like the idea of marking the tree stump with compass points, it's a good use of a stump! And no border!

The BB shot is good, but the IQ isn't looking the best, probably because of shooting through the pod window?

Hi Dawn, aka 'The Legs' (I'm still praying for a reshoot being drawn for our meet :D)

Both your 'Time' shots suit the theme, it's a shame you didn't get chance to take one specially for the week, but needs must.

I prefer the tree shot out of the two, assuming that is that the compass has not been added by you in PP. I like the idea of marking the tree stump with compass points, it's a good use of a stump! And no border!

The BB shot is good, but the IQ isn't looking the best, probably because of shooting through the pod window?

Hiya Neil

:LOL: about the aka :D As for the reshoot ..... dream on babe :LOL:

Thanks for the comments, but unfortunately the tree shot I did add the compass overlay (and have been thinking of sending the photo to the local council suggesting that they do something like this with the tree stump .... I think it would add an interesting feature to the woodland). An indeed .... no border for a change ..... there are just some images that I think look better without a border.

The IQ of the BB shot is perhaps a tad poor due to the fact that it was, dull grey sky and raining when I took the photo,, plus as you rightly pointed out, it was taken through the pod window.

I will see if I can still get a current shot for this theme before I move onto this week's photo/s.

Cheers

.......... unfortunately the tree shot I did add the compass overlay (and have been thinking of sending the photo to the local council suggesting that they do something like this with the tree stump .... I think it would add an interesting feature to the woodland).........

Well in that case it's even better as you cannot tell.
I was going to comment that I'd rather the compass being a little darker, but assuming it was part of the tree I couldn't see how that could be achieved without losing detail in the tree. Now I know it's PP, I'd rather see the compass a little dark, which I think will help it stand out more.

As for sending it to the council, I'd send it to the Forestry Commission too.
The amount of forest work that leaves stumps near paths, staining the top of stumps with this and other signs would be a great use of the stump. Small poems, questions about nature on one stump and the answer on another, the list is endless and it would be great for educating the youngsters who walk by too.

Hi Dawn,

I quite like the 'Rings of Time' very apt for the theme.

Is the 'compass' marks added in Photoshop later?

Hiya Stan,

Thanks for the comment. Yes the compass was added in post processing.... it is an overlay feature in Picnik.

Well in that case it's even better as you cannot tell.
I was going to comment that I'd rather the compass being a little darker, but assuming it was part of the tree I couldn't see how that could be achieved without losing detail in the tree. Now I know it's PP, I'd rather see the compass a little dark, which I think will help it stand out more.

As for sending it to the council, I'd send it to the Forestry Commission too.
The amount of forest work that leaves stumps near paths, staining the top of stumps with this and other signs would be a great use of the stump. Small poems, questions about nature on one stump and the answer on another, the list is endless and it would be great for educating the youngsters who walk by too.

Hiya Neil,

Thanks, I didn't want the compass to overpower the main focus, i.e., the rings of the tree stump. I suppose it could be a little darker.

I like your idea about the Forestry Commission too .... I think I will send it to both. As you say it would be great to make such use of the stumps. Granted there are times where trees have to unfortunately be chopped down, because of disease etc, and making use of them in an educational way would be great for all.

Cheers

#1 for me. I like the close composition and I'm glad no border.

The compass is just the right shade of brown for me.

Hmm, regarding the border, there does seem to be a paler part just inside the outer edge...:thinking:

Cheers.

#1 for me. I like the close composition and I'm glad no border.

The compass is just the right shade of brown for me.

Hmm, regarding the border, there does seem to be a paler part just inside the outer edge...:thinking:

Cheers.

Hiya Andy,

Thanks for the comments and feedback. You are correct .... there is a slight sort of white internal 'vignette', but that is standard with the effect preset I applied, which I thought sort of added to the feel and hence why I didn't add a surrounding border/frame.

I have managed to work on a more current image for 'time' which I will be uploading tonight.

Cheers

I have to say I rather like your interpretation of the time theme :D I suppose the the second one, "Marching on London Time" there is a second interpretation of that one, i.e. the protesters were saying it's "time for change"

p.s. I showed my mum your coins image the other day and she loved it :)

I have to say I rather like your interpretation of the time theme :D I suppose the the second one, "Marching on London Time" there is a second interpretation of that one, i.e. the protesters were saying it's "time for change"

p.s. I showed my mum your coins image the other day and she loved it :)

Hiya Matt,

Thank you for the comments and feedback. You have a good point with your interpretation of the 'Marching on London Time' photo .... and bet there are many, including moi, who agree with you (y)

Glad your mum likes the coin shot .... it is still one of my favs and I have now added the coins to my small collection :D (btw I so glad you posted me the 50p as to this day I have still not come across one, so thanks ;))

Cheers

Hiya

Despite being so busy the past 2 weeks, I finally managed to squeeze in some time yesterday to pick up the camera and get a shot to finalise my initial idea for this theme.

My dad gave me some roses a few weeks ago to cheer me up and they were beautiful. As usual, I always keep flowers until they die and dry so that I can photograph them in all stages of their life.

So for this theme I had the idea as follows:

3. A time to live and A time to die

6145701526_c6ce1b10c0_b.jpg
[/url] A time to live and a time to die by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Now I need to crack on with getting the 'mix' photos finalised for posting, of which I have taken the shots, just need to sort them for uploading.

I have spent some time tonight trying to catch up with commenting on other 52 posts, so I hope I haven't missed anyone.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback so far, any c&c on this image would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Cracking idea. Well composed - I really like how the rose has been photographed from the same angle so you can match the petals before and after.

I'd like to see a wider DOF on the right hand rose.

Can't decide whether I'd like to see a tad more colour in the left hand rose to emphasise the live and die theme...:thinking:

Cheers and looking forward to your mix....

Nice idea Dawn.
I don't like the blurry edges on the dead one, but apart from that it looks great.

Hiya Neil,

Thanks for the feedback. To be honest I was using my netbook for the past 2 weeks whilst staying at my mum's house, so I couldn't really view these too well, but now that I am home and viewing on the large monitor I can see what you mean about the blurry edges ...... heyho. Hopefully I will be able to do better with the shots for 'mix' which I will try to sort out tonight.

Cracking idea. Well composed - I really like how the rose has been photographed from the same angle so you can match the petals before and after.

I'd like to see a wider DOF on the right hand rose.

Can't decide whether I'd like to see a tad more colour in the left hand rose to emphasise the live and die theme...:thinking:

Cheers and looking forward to your mix....

Hiya Andy,

Thanks for the comments .... it was a pure fluke that I managed to capture the dead rose at a similar angle to the live one .... especially as I was composing from memory :D

I'm trying to figure out what you mean by a wider DOF on the right hand rose :thinking:

The colour of the rose on the left is pretty much as it was so I thought I would stick with that .... but guess I could have tried to add a bit of saturation to lift it more.

Now to work on 'mix' :D

BTW looking forward to the meet next week :banana:

Cheers

Hiya Dawn, I thought I had commented, but appears not. I really like your time photograph. Colours are really nice and I like the composition. I like the blurred edges on the 2nd rose, adds an extra dimension to to the time theme, such as fading away.

Hiya Michael,

Thanks for popping past. You have a good point about the blur on the 2nd rose .... I like that ;)

It's amazing what each person sees in a photograph/image.

Much appreciated (y)

Cheers

Hiya

OMG I had to check what week number we are on before posting this :LOL: That is a sure sign that we are way well into this year .... and coming to think of it .... we have only 15 weeks left after this one :crying: It has been such an experience, and I have met so many fantastic people online (and some to meet soon ;))

So .... 'mix' .... this has many meanings for me in my current state of mind and health .... but I am making progress ... so thought I would spare you all of a self portrait of moi :D (not so lucky for those who will meet me at the meet next week :eek:)

I had quite a few ideas for this theme, my mind being tuned to such a topic :help:, but I thought I would keep it simple .... well .... in my eyes.

The following are probably going to be either love or hate photos/'images', especially the ones of the flowers, but heyho .... this is my project .... and one that has kept me going this year (even with the harsh critique at times ... which has been good as it has given me a kick up the B)

But .... this week I wanted to be a bit creative .... so I am posting my 'creativity', along with an original of the idea:

On the Sunday .... following the announcement of the current them ... I returned to my mum's house (where I have been recuperating for the past 2 weeks) only to find that my son and his 2 cousins having a merry time in the kitchen at grandmas (who BTW was having 40 winks on the couch in the lounge ... so she was unaware of the demolition happening in her kitchen :LOL:) ... I grabbed my camera to get the following shot:

1. What a MIX! ....... what a Mess!

6153417763_fc4685d37c_b.jpg
[/url] Mix-3 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Mix = 3 kids (6 years and under) + tea bags, coffee, sugar, nuts, water .... and anything else they can get their hands on.

Worst is .... they wanted us adults to taste their magic mix :puke: ..... HELL! NO WAY!! We had enough to do tidying up :help:

Having watched and photographed them having a mix of a time I decided to do the following composition of a couple of the shots taking in their mixing joy:

6153968450_4cd6f96ef4_b.jpg
[/url] Mix-4 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Then onto a more pleasing mix ... well for me, anyway...

My fab dad (who I luv so much) bought me a bunch of flowers to cheer me up, so I got the camera out to photograph them before they faded:

Here is one of the original shots for the 'mix' image:

6153969420_6abec9b7f5_b.jpg
[/url] Mix-5 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

And here are the results (after layering the various shots, using multiple collage in Picasa):

6153423585_1f07f1d012_b.jpg
[/url] Mix-2 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

6153968754_c7d4013998_b.jpg
[/url] Mix-1 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Now I can't wait to find out what this week holds for us ..... but even more worrying is what next week's theme is going to be :thinking: (Do I need to get the legs and fishnets out again :LOL: .... hope not!!!!!)

Cheers

Hi, I've had a long day in the field photographing, am a tad pooped, Jackie's out, Isabbelle's in bed and the bourbon's flowing...so I'll keep it short... :D

#1 for me. Anything that shows children getting mucky, making a mess, and having a great time (while learning something) has got to be a winner...(y) and not a video game machine in sight...:woot:

What a joy!

Cheers and I'm sure Kev's all a quiver at your mention of "legs and fishnets"...

Cheers.

Back