weekly Drodd's Photo52 for 2011 - Week 51, 52 and bonus: Light, Glass, Nature (post 1545)

Hiya Dave,

Thanks for the feedback .... by psychedelic .... are you referring to #2?

Cheers

Dawn :)

I am Dawn

shame I didnt know you wanted the the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson I could have given you my copy when you were over at my house yesterday, as Ive read soooo many times

Have a great time up at WRP look forward to seeing some shots from there (y)

Last edited:
Dawn

I much prefer your second weave shot simply as I think it's technically the most inspiring shot. The others say weave in a more obvious way where as this is still obvious but really required work to create.

Can I just add another recomendation for that book. It's a fantastic book that really gets to the nuts and bolts of photography.

Looking forward to your abstract shot.

Mark

Hi Dawn,

Just catching up with a few I've missed.

I think Andy has nailed the rapid c&c. They are a bit too dark and isolated to add impact to the casual viewer.

As for weave, with the exception of your light painting art, the rest are on theme to my tastes :D. However, you have shot all the examples in the same way, and I think that is a shame. The basket, and the beads all have some great shapes, which could be shown off in a much more interesting way IMHO if you took the shots from a different angle and perspective. Getting in low, and shooting across the basket rather than straight on will give some great shadows, some great lead in line opportunities.

Textures add real depth, and the best way to capitalise on this, is to change the angle we normally view things at. The same with the tapestry, try shooting along it, having the light hit it from a new angle.

But as for f25, iso800 and a 2 second exposure!! :puke::thinking::nono::shake::eek:

What can I say????

Well, we are into single figures now for shots left, so keep up the good work, and let us all make it to the end of 2011!!!

That is such a good book...love it...

Thanks Kev, I will have to get a copy of the book.

Dawn,

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/diffraction.htm

Scrowl down to the bottom of this link and check out the examples - very telling...
Look at the f/ value you shot at.....

He states "Unless you absolutely need depth of field, avoid apertures smaller than f/8 on modern digital SLRs. Their resolving power is so great that you will soften your images by stopping down unnecessarily. This is why many point-and-shoot cameras don't stop down past f/8."

Thanks for the link Jeff, I see what he means.

When I took this shot there was a lot of sunlight streaming through the large window in the lounge, so I had to close the curtains and take the shot in quite a dark room. I was trying to avoid light filtering through the weave. But heyho lesson learned.

Its seriously worth getting one. Little bits that help with metering for particular colours or water...

Thanks Kev, I'll add it to my Crimbo list :D

Hi Dawn,

Firstly, I've added you on flickr. Is there a 52 group?

I like your second shot for rapid (light trails). Nicely caught and an interesting subject.

I quite like all of the weaves, but the SA flag, and the lights do it for me.

(y)

Hiya Joe, thanks I've added you to flickr too and sent you an invite to the TP52 2011 group.

Thanks too for the c&c on the light trails and weaves.

I am Dawn

shame I didnt know you wanted the the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson I could have given you my copy when you were over at my house yesterday, as Ive read soooo many times

Have a great time up at WRP look forward to seeing some shots from there (y)

Hiya Dave,

It would be great if I could borrow the book some time until I can buy a copy. It sounds like it is a great book.

Thanks we are having a great time at WRP.

BTW the pumpkin is still doing well :D

Dawn

I much prefer your second weave shot simply as I think it's technically the most inspiring shot. The others say weave in a more obvious way where as this is still obvious but really required work to create.

Can I just add another recomendation for that book. It's a fantastic book that really gets to the nuts and bolts of photography.

Looking forward to your abstract shot.

Mark

Hiya Mark,

Thanks for the comments, the light weave shot was great fun to do (thanks to the help of my son who created the weave while took photos .... we got loads of great shots and will be doing more light painting whilst away camping this week).

I'm convinced now that I should get the book.

Abstract .... will be uploaded later this week.

Nice selection of images there Dawn, liking number 2, also the flag is really good too.

Hiya Michael, thanks for the comments, the flag seems to be the most popular and was actually the last shot I took for the theme.

Hi Dawn,

Just catching up with a few I've missed.

I think Andy has nailed the rapid c&c. They are a bit too dark and isolated to add impact to the casual viewer.

As for weave, with the exception of your light painting art, the rest are on theme to my tastes :D. However, you have shot all the examples in the same way, and I think that is a shame. The basket, and the beads all have some great shapes, which could be shown off in a much more interesting way IMHO if you took the shots from a different angle and perspective. Getting in low, and shooting across the basket rather than straight on will give some great shadows, some great lead in line opportunities.

Textures add real depth, and the best way to capitalise on this, is to change the angle we normally view things at. The same with the tapestry, try shooting along it, having the light hit it from a new angle.

But as for f25, iso800 and a 2 second exposure!! :puke::thinking::nono::shake::eek:

What can I say????

Well, we are into single figures now for shots left, so keep up the good work, and let us all make it to the end of 2011!!!

Hiya Adie,

Thanks for the in-depth critique and suggestions and ideas for better ways to shoot these. I'll keep them in mind and try to do this one again at some time. Also bearing in mind not to use the same settings ... they were very much part of an experiment to see if I can get the shot with no harsh light.

Not long to go before the end, I just hope I can keep the stamina to get to the end.

Hi Dawn
The SA flag is my favourite. The last image is also nice.

Hiya Ceri, thanks ;)

Once again thanks all for your feedback, c&c and recommendations about the book, I will have to get a copy and have a good read.

Have a few abstract shots done, but want to see what I find this week while away camping. So abstract may be posted later in the week.

Cheers

Hi Dawn,

Firstly, thanks for the text, I think I got my abstract but not got the images on the PC yet.

Secondly, checked back on your rapid shots and will be ordering the OH a new laptop with better monitor!!

Now for weave, and where to begin!
The basket weave looks a little odd to me, as if you've not taken the shot square on to the face?

But my fav is the word 'weave', I love it.
It reminds me of a wedding gift someone got my friend this summer.
They had spelt out 'Mr & Mrs Fox' from pictures of various things, ie a church window for one of the M's, an old style sink type for the X.

I cannot wait to see your abstract.

Hi Dawn,

Firstly, thanks for the text, I think I got my abstract but not got the images on the PC yet.

Secondly, checked back on your rapid shots and will be ordering the OH a new laptop with better monitor!!

Now for weave, and where to begin!
The basket weave looks a little odd to me, as if you've not taken the shot square on to the face?

But my fav is the word 'weave', I love it.
It reminds me of a wedding gift someone got my friend this summer.
They had spelt out 'Mr & Mrs Fox' from pictures of various things, ie a church window for one of the M's, an old style sink type for the X.

I cannot wait to see your abstract.

Hiya Neil,

Soz for the delay in reply, things have been a bit hectic lately.

I'm still trying to get my head around 'abstract' .... it should be a theme that comes easy to me .... yet I am stumped by it!!! :bonk:

Guess I have just had so much on my mind lately with Halloween and all the other photos I have taken in the weeks prior and after that I can't focus on my 52 .... but hopefully I will get back on track soon, as I still have so many pics to post from the TP weekend away!!!!

Dx

Hi

I'm running a bit behind again as I was away last week on holiday and I've had so many photos to sort through.

So onto Abstract .... a subject that I enjoy and of which I have much fun creating images from photos that I take, however it has been quite a challenge this one because I have taken so many pics for this but can only upload so many so decided to go with 5 of the ones that I like:

6309261152_fe7c33e409_o.jpg
[/url]
Abstract-01 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

On a trip out to Bowness-on-Windermere last week I took a photo of this design that was on the path around the lake and thought it would make for an interesting image.

6308741761_3990366284_o.jpg
[/url]
Abstract-02 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

This is a shot of the stone wall behind the campervan at the camp site we frequent.

6309262260_281138f03e_o.jpg
[/url]
Abstract-03 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

This is a shot of the Yarrow Valley Park weir in Chorley.

6308742909_516e1a4d0c_o.jpg
[/url]
Abstract-04 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Following on from last weeks theme of weave, I decided to do something creative with this one. Not sure if it is just me, but it seems to play tricks with my eyes :D

6308742393_2546930a80_o.jpg
[/url]
Abstract-05 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

And finally after all the fun Roo and I have had lately with light painting, I thought it appropriate to add one here. We are quite hooked on this type of photography ;)

Thanks for all the feedback on last week's theme. It would be great to hear what you think of these for this week ..... I guess they will not appeal to everyone but feedback is appreciated.

Now to work on the new theme of PAIR :thinking:

Cheers

#3 without a shadow of a doubt, for me. I can't explain why, I just like the feel of it.

#1.....has a derderdaadaadaaaaaa feel to it.

#5, yeeyyyy light painting.....lovely colours. I'd just like them to be a tad sharper.

Cheers and looking forward to your pair...(y)

Hiya Dawn, I like each one of your pics for this week!

All fit the theme perfectly, great ideas Dawn and great pp with them. My fave is number 1.

Hiya Michael, thanks for the comments and glad you like the pics (y)

#3 without a shadow of a doubt, for me. I can't explain why, I just like the feel of it.

#1.....has a derderdaadaadaaaaaa feel to it.

#5, yeeyyyy light painting.....lovely colours. I'd just like them to be a tad sharper.

Cheers and looking forward to your pair...(y)

Hiya Andy,

Thanks for the c&c. I was invited to add #3 to the 'naked abstract' group on Flickr. So guess it fits there bill of 'abstract'.

:LOL: to the link about #1 .... funny thing is that is the flick that came to mind when I saw this on the path and thought it would make for an interesting creation :D

With #5, I ran this through Noiseware Community Edition as it seemed a bit too noisy sharper and I wanted it to appear softer .... if that makes sense.

Thanks again though for the feedback chaps. I have 2 pics ready for PAIR and one more to do, then I will post.

Cheers

Dawn, about time i got round to commenting on your abstraction.

great job taking so many diverse ones. i'm not so keen on the wall, simply because its a wall.. don't know... but the rest. tip top fit the bill...

now where's cracking shot of your pair??

.... what? .. what did i say?

Hi Dawn.

I thought you'd post more than one this week!

#1 - I think I know what it is which is making me dislike the image as it's upside down. I think it's playing with my head, which is the bit I don't like! The colours are great though

#2 - It's not saying abstract to me and doesn't appeal to me, sorry.

#3 - This is the one, it shouts abstract. The colours are good and it keeps me looking for something, even though I know there is nothing in there to see! Best of the bunch and hits the theme.

#4 - It says abstract, or at least to me!, but it's doing it like #3 is.

#5 - Again, great colours, but it's light painting, so can it be abstract too? I like it as an image, but not for the theme.

Dawn, about time i got round to commenting on your abstraction.

great job taking so many diverse ones. i'm not so keen on the wall, simply because its a wall.. don't know... but the rest. tip top fit the bill...

now where's cracking shot of your pair??

.... what? .. what did i say?

Hiya Kev, thanks for the input, I can understand what you mean about the wall ..... however it is an image that you need to look at with 'lazy eyes' as I call it and then you will see it ;)

Glad you think the others fit the bill (y)

Hi Dawn.

I thought you'd post more than one this week!

#1 - I think I know what it is which is making me dislike the image as it's upside down. I think it's playing with my head, which is the bit I don't like! The colours are great though

#2 - It's not saying abstract to me and doesn't appeal to me, sorry.

#3 - This is the one, it shouts abstract. The colours are good and it keeps me looking for something, even though I know there is nothing in there to see! Best of the bunch and hits the theme.

#4 - It says abstract, or at least to me!, but it's doing it like #3 is.

#5 - Again, great colours, but it's light painting, so can it be abstract too? I like it as an image, but not for the theme.

Hiya Neil ....am I that predictable :thinking: .... I may have to change my tac-tick :D

I like the fact that you are challenged by the upside down nature of the shot .... take a moment to just let your eyes adjust to it .... on first glance it will appear different (or upside down as you say)
.... but once you look at it for a while it starts to appear as something different ....... now to me that is 'abstract' in the purest sense ;)

#2 .... okay ..... something that is personal taste and again plays with the eyes.

#3 has to be the best for me too .... and actually was my first take on the abstract theme. When I took the shot I had 'abstract' in mind and to be honest .... it is pretty much SOOC par from a slight adjustment due to light.

#4 still presents questions for me too .... I wonder if I should have done a slightly different crop. Once again this is SOOC with an adjustment to shadows to try to capture a sort of 3D effect.

#5 Hell.... I'm surprised at your comment on this one .... especially as we practiced so much light painting at camp .... you of all people should know how abstract that is in nature and composition! But then, heyho, as artists we will always have different eyes .... and that is what sets us apart from each other and makes us unique .... so I am not complaining :D

Cheers guys for your feedback .... much appreciated!

Dx

Sorry to disappoint guys ...... but you are going to have wait until Jan ;) ..... who knows what the cold winter weather will erect ;)

:LOL:

x

...move along now please...move along..there's nothing to see here... please gentlemen...the assumption of deja vu isn't happening.. so please .. move along... :bang:

...move along now please...move along..there's nothing to see here... please gentlemen...the assumption of deja vu isn't happening.. so please .. move along... :bang:

See you in Jan/Feb babes xxxx ;)

yep... i've got my first class sleeper car ticket booked on the Wick express.. (y) packing long johns....as short johns ain't much help carry luggage...:shrug:

Omg I better pack every 'device' and tool :LOL:

Hi Hun

this theme was made for you :LOL: & you've not disappointed...another set of wonderful images (y)

#1....love the pp...looks other worldy...very abstract indeed....:clap: Messes with my eyes a bit...seems convex at one glace...then concave with another (y)

Love the weir image....can see this as a set of 4 small prints all at different angles in a large frame :clap:

Love the lighting & angle for #4 , like the symetry & the detail you've caught(y)

Dawn, your Abstracts are great (y)

Thanks Tina ;)

Hi Hun

this theme was made for you :LOL: & you've not disappointed...another set of wonderful images (y)

#1....love the pp...looks other worldy...very abstract indeed....:clap: Messes with my eyes a bit...seems convex at one glace...then concave with another (y)

Love the weir image....can see this as a set of 4 small prints all at different angles in a large frame :clap:

Love the lighting & angle for #4 , like the symetry & the detail you've caught(y)

Hiya Lynne, thanks for the comments, I did enjoy this theme.

I'm glad you like #1 and that it messes with your eyes a bit .... as that was the effect I was trying to create .... concave/convex and your comments indicates to me that it has worked :D

Like your idea of the 4 small prints in a large frame for the weir shot. I'll have to think about doing that.

#4 is one that I really like, it messes with my eyes each time I look at it and I like the golden tone.

Thanks again for the great feedback.

Now I need to finalise my 'Pair' and think of what to do for 'Safe' :thinking:

Cheers

Dawn

Number 3 and 5 are the only two that stick out in my mind as abstract for the reason that they dont reflect the reality of what they are. Although I love 3 more than the others. The first two are made interesting by heavy processing but I dont think that makes them abstract, just unusual or interesting. Not that I think abstract means blurred either... just not obvious as to what they are! It should reflect a feeling or sense of something without you seeing simply what it is!

That said art is in the eye of the beholder and that is why this week has been so interesting!

Again though I think your third image is the best...

Mark

Dawn

Number 3 and 5 are the only two that stick out in my mind as abstract for the reason that they dont reflect the reality of what they are. Although I love 3 more than the others. The first two are made interesting by heavy processing but I dont think that makes them abstract, just unusual or interesting. Not that I think abstract means blurred either... just not obvious as to what they are! It should reflect a feeling or sense of something without you seeing simply what it is!

That said art is in the eye of the beholder and that is why this week has been so interesting!

Again though I think your third image is the best...

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the comments and feedback.

I suppose each has their own definition of 'heavy' processing ... with #1 it was a crop of the original and increase the shadow slider to max in Picasa 3 to darken it. #2 is the same process, with slightly less max of the shadow slider.

For me 'abstract' is about an image being different, not necessarily about not being able to see what the image is of, and in the case of photography I see it as taking a photo of an object/subject and by applying some adjustments to various settings turning same into something unusual and interesting.

I agree with what you say about 'art being in the eye of the beholder' ... and each will have a different eye for various images.

Thanks again for your comments.

Cheers

Seeing as my rival Mark has posted his 'Pair'...... which was my intention ...... I'll have to go with same!

......lol...lol...snarf....giggle ....yeah....come on dawn.. You shooting a decent pear shot..??

..Andy... If I didn't know better you encouraged my smut ...

Im not your rival... Im just someone else doing a 52!

You obviously took my joke the wrong way ;) And I agree .... we are all in this as individuals to progress our own photographic skills .... whatever they may be :D Holding out an olive branch to hope we can put the debate over the past few weeks behind us? PEACE!

But we want to see your pair :naughty::naughty:

AAANNNDDDDDDDDDD queue...Kev.......:D

......lol...lol...snarf....giggle ....yeah....come on dawn.. You shooting a decent pear shot..??

..Andy... If I didn't know better you encouraged my smut ...

As for you other naughty boys! <spank> ...... I'll have none of that here thank you :D and I will be posting my 'pair' or is that 'pear' tonight ..... after much personal debate on same.

Cheers

Dawn :D

Hiya

Okay .... this theme has given me much to think about, for a number of reasons. One being that a fellow 52'er posted the same subject as their post and I have had many confidence issues over the past few months, primarily due to my illness, of which I am still under consult. So I apologise if I have offended any members as a result .... which has probably been due to miscommunication or misunderstanding.

Anyway ..... I plod on and try to do what I can for each new theme, which I have to say has been a challenge at times.

This week of 'Pair' .... despite being slightly behind ..... has been one that I have a number of shots for .... but have narrowed it down to the following three:

1. Pair ..... look into my eyes

6332087962_f2fa7fe49f_o.jpg
[/url]
Look into my eyes by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

2. Pair of Pears

6332100824_5a5ae36309_o.jpg

[/url] Pair of Pears-1 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

I was going to go to the extreme here ..... especially as I already have an NSFW on my thread ..... but I thought I would view same from a different perspective .... a bit of Ying Yang.... without me getting my TT's out :LOL:

3. The Pièce de résistance
has to be this one which some of my fellow 52'ers will already be aware of:

5186646615_39884c51cf_o.jpg

[/url] Curly horned sheep (IMG_1389.jpg) by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

I couldn't help post this one, especially as it fits the theme of pair .... i.e., pair of horns ;)

I have received a request from a multimedia company in New York, permission to host this photo in a video presentation for the Museum of Natural Science in North Carolina, USA :D

What can I say, except I am honoured at the request and am so pleased they found my photo and consider it same to be worthy of their project.

The display will be on a 45x45 foot monitor, over 3 floors, and there will be a credits video to all images in the presentation

I am so chuffed!

Last edited:
I like all three but i think number 1 just tips the scales. Fab news on your image being shown on big screen.
Ceri

Hiya Dawn, a great effort here, as always! Number 1 is really nice, it looks like a painting. The pairs, I like these too, the lighting seems quite dramatic but it suits it. And the final image is just excellent! Well done with the request! What an achievement.

Hiya Michael,

Thank you for your comments. You have been a true support throughout the Photo52 and I commend you for same, and your support has been very much appreciated

Cheers

Dawn x

I like all three but i think number 1 just tips the scales. Fab news on your image being shown on big screen.
Ceri

Hiya Ceri,

Thank you for your dedication to my thread, I really do appreciate your comments and time spent on same.

I have to say .... as the former is a shot taken more recent to the latter, I can appreciate same. But it just goes to show .... the least expected pic one would think of is the one that gets chosen lol

Needless to say I am well chuffed!

Dx

Back