weekly Drodd's Photo52 for 2011 - Week 51, 52 and bonus: Light, Glass, Nature (post 1545)

Hi Dawn, thanks so much, it means a lot, and I appreciate your following in my thread too. x

Hey Michael, if anyone has shown dedication to same ..... you take the credit my friend! You have been a true inspiration .... you have learned so much over the year and you have celebrated such learning with all of us ..... so in that regard you are on top! Luv u babes!!!! Dx

Great to see that your still going so well with your 52 Dawn, your showing a great deal of thought into getting and taking images for the different themes (y) :clap: :D

Matt

Thanks Matt,

I am so pleased you popped past to check up on my progress.

Luv u babes and the fantastic work you are doing with your m365.

You are my man (y)

Cheers

Dawn ;)

Ooooh! I can say I sort of know a very famous photographer! Well done you :woot::woot::woot:

Of your submissions I like #2 the best, the processing suits the subject and there is no doubt what that is.

The pair of pears look a little underexposed to me and has nothing like the a'peel' of #1

Well done again on your Canadian connection ;)

Ooooh! I can say I sort of know a very famous photographer! Well done you :woot::woot::woot:

Of your submissions I like #2 the best, the processing suits the subject and there is no doubt what that is.

The pair of pears look a little underexposed to me and has nothing like the a'peel' of #1

Well done again on your Canadian connection ;)

Thanks Tina (y)

Dx

Love the pear pair shot! :clap:

The lighting and the composition make a great and striking image.
The hotspot one the left hand side is a tiny little bit distracting (maybe clone it out?) but other than that I love the textures of the pear skin.

Well done Dawn, this is a great shot (and it somehow reminds me of something.... :naughty::naughty:)

Adie

Eyes - I like the idea, and eyes are great. Is it a big crop though as the IQ isn't fully there?

Pears - I really like. The overlapping works well and I like the shaddows.

Horns - is the winner for me, I think the horns fall into the thirds, and the DOF is great.

(y)

Love the pear pair shot! :clap:

The lighting and the composition make a great and striking image.
The hotspot one the left hand side is a tiny little bit distracting (maybe clone it out?) but other than that I love the textures of the pear skin.

Well done Dawn, this is a great shot (and it somehow reminds me of something.... :naughty::naughty:)

Adie

Hiya Adie, well your comment about the pear shot has made my day, thank you ;)

The 'hotspot' was the tip of the stalk that caught a bit of light ... I had toyed with whether to remove it and since you mentioned it I have now cloned it out.

I can only guess what it reminds you off :naughty: and glad you can see the connotation.

Eyes - I like the idea, and eyes are great. Is it a big crop though as the IQ isn't fully there?

Pears - I really like. The overlapping works well and I like the shaddows.

Horns - is the winner for me, I think the horns fall into the thirds, and the DOF is great.

(y)

Hiya Joe, thanks for c&c, much appreciated. Eyes was a big crop as the photo was taken from a distance and I did the crop to focus on the eyes.

Glad you like the pears, when I bought them for the shot I was stood in the shop going through all the pears to find two that fit nicely together ..... people in the shop must have thought I was mad fondling the pears :LOL:

Thanks for the kind comments about the horns shot. I'm chuffed with that one.

Really like your abstract photos and you pair ones!

Ill try and keep upto date with the rest of your 52! :)

Hiya Lisa, thanks for popping past and glad you like the abstract and pair shots. I can't believe there are only a few weeks to go until the 52 is over.

Thanks again to all for the c&c.

Now I have to upload 'Safe' later today.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hi Dawn

totally love your 1st Pair shot...those eye's are wonderful....almost looks like a colored sketch...just beautiful :clap: Think I saw another version on your Flickr set...blue eye's ? Looked even better to me...& outside of your normal processing remit which is great...nice n natural...great work Hun (y)

I've already commented on the Famous shot....but another big WELL DONE anyway :clap:

Love the Pair of pears as well...nicely positioned , well lit ,the righthand pear seems a touch soft ? Love the black BG...really sets them off...sort of image you might see on a wall in a cosy country cafe :clap:

Hiya,

I think I am finally up to date .... but only have one shot for this one, which I think speaks for itself and as it was announced on bonfire night I couldn't resist going with the theme!

6335163617_258595c983_o.jpg
[/url]
IMG_0009 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Cheers

Hi Dawn

totally love your 1st Pair shot...those eye's are wonderful....almost looks like a colored sketch...just beautiful :clap: Think I saw another version on your Flickr set...blue eye's ? Looked even better to me...& outside of your normal processing remit which is great...nice n natural...great work Hun (y)

I've already commented on the Famous shot....but another big WELL DONE anyway :clap:

Love the Pair of pears as well...nicely positioned , well lit ,the righthand pear seems a touch soft ? Love the black BG...really sets them off...sort of image you might see on a wall in a cosy country cafe :clap:

Hiya Lynne,

Thanks for the comments, glad you like the 1st shot, it was a lovely looking dog with gorgeous eyes. I was a bit confused when you said blue eyes on Flickr so I had to go and check .... have you been on that Amarula Cream again babes? :LOL:

Thanks again for the congrats, I am still over the moon about the request.

I was aiming for a different take with the pears and am happy with how it turned out. I see what you mean about the r/h pear ..... it was sharper before I cloned the stalk ..... but something I have noticed with flickr is that it seems to alter the IQ when uploading the photos here. I may have to check it again.

Thanks again for the great feedback.

Cheers

I like the pears Dawn, the dark shadows add to the image and give it an arty feel.

Safe, umm, it hits the theme but I'm not liking the image.
It's a good idea and seasonal too.
Perhaps just the fire with some people?

Not long now until the end when we can all take a big sigh of relief, and then meet each other at our end of year meet and flick through our photo books of our 2011 52 :)

Hi ya....yup...must be the cream....just rechecked :LOL:

Safe....hmmmm...don't think I've ever looked at one of your images and thought No. Trying not be to to critical given my poor submission this week but just can't like the shot,sorry Hun .

I like the idea...after all ,we are taught from a young age about safety around bonfires & fireworks.....maybe the foreground needs to be more prominent to emphasis the safety barriers & people stood well away from the fire ? The bright light to the righthand side distracts me...maybe crop it out ?

I hate being negative on your thread as I know how much effort you put in & the pride you have in your photography....possibly due to previous weeks when you've given us stunning images from strange themes has spoilt me ?
So , please don't take offence , just trying to say it how I see it x

I like the pears Dawn, the dark shadows add to the image and give it an arty feel.

Safe, umm, it hits the theme but I'm not liking the image.
It's a good idea and seasonal too.
Perhaps just the fire with some people?

Not long now until the end when we can all take a big sigh of relief, and then meet each other at our end of year meet and flick through our photo books of our 2011 52 :)

Hiya Neil,

Thanks for the comments about the pears .... the arty feel is what I was aiming for (y)

Safe .... I know it is not the best photo .... I have just been so uninspired by this week's theme .... probably due to me not being able to focus as much on same have had to sort through so many photos from the current activities of Halloween and Bonfire night etc, etc.

If I find some inspiration for another safe shot .... I will post during the week.

The new theme of 'living' isn't inspiring me much either .... so hopefully I will find some creative guidance soon.

Indeed, not long to go until we complete the challenge. Look forward to the meet where we can all have a good chuckle about the ups and downs of the project.

Once again ... thanks for you c&c .... all much appreciated.

Cheers

Hi ya....yup...must be the cream....just rechecked :LOL:

Safe....hmmmm...don't think I've ever looked at one of your images and thought No. Trying not be to to critical given my poor submission this week but just can't like the shot,sorry Hun .

I like the idea...after all ,we are taught from a young age about safety around bonfires & fireworks.....maybe the foreground needs to be more prominent to emphasis the safety barriers & people stood well away from the fire ? The bright light to the righthand side distracts me...maybe crop it out ?

I hate being negative on your thread as I know how much effort you put in & the pride you have in your photography....possibly due to previous weeks when you've given us stunning images from strange themes has spoilt me ?
So , please don't take offence , just trying to say it how I see it x

Hiya Lynne,

Thanks for the honest critique ..... which I understand and agree with (so no hard feelings). I think this has been the most difficult theme for me so far and together with being uninspired I haven't managed to produce anything else. But I don't give up easily so will try to put my mind to something more appropriate .... actually coming to think of it I once mentioned something to you in the early days .... maybe it is time for that to appear in the 52 .... watch this space ;)

Dawn, Safe is indeed in the words but the image doesn't work for me, :shake: Sorry I can't find any point in focus, I appreciate the lighting was very hard and you were probably being manipulated by Roo!

Hiya Tina, thanks for the feedback .... and as I have mentioned in replies to others, this week was not a good one for me. But I have just come up with and idea .... so I'll put my thoughts into action and try to produce a new shot for the theme. Oh and yes Roo was a distraction .... having to have eyes in the back of my head and having two cameras set up it was quite a challenge to say the least :LOL:

Heyho, we live and learn ....

Thanks again both for the feedback.

Cheers

eek....fits the theme and conveys a message.

But.....the star burst seems to be the focal point because it's ssooo big.

The fire is cropped and partly hidden behind the fence. I can't really make out the people in the photograph.

I'm sure you'll bounce back.

Cheers.

eek....fits the theme and conveys a message.

But.....the star burst seems to be the focal point because it's ssooo big.

The fire is cropped and partly hidden behind the fence. I can't really make out the people in the photograph.

I'm sure you'll bounce back.

Cheers.

Hiya Andy,

:LOL: thanks .... I knew I would get some flak for this one :D

But heyho, I just was not in the frame of mind for this one ..... I'm not a 'safe' character as it is .... as you will know after having met me :LOL:

Okay, joking aside ..... I will make a concerted effort to produce a new 'safe' shot this week.

As you say .... I'll bounce back.

Cheers

Hiya Neil,

Safe .... I know it is not the best photo .... I have just been so uninspired by this week's theme .... probably due to me not being able to focus as much on same have had to sort through so many photos from the current activities of Halloween and Bonfire night etc, etc.

If I find some inspiration for another safe shot .... I will post during the week.
Cheers

Hiya Dawn, the image is certainly on theme, but I will agree that it's not up there with the rest of your pics. It was indeed a tough theme, but times like this just turn it back into a positive! Which I am sure you can do (y)

Hiya Dawn, the image is certainly on theme, but I will agree that it's not up there with the rest of your pics. It was indeed a tough theme, but times like this just turn it back into a positive! Which I am sure you can do (y)

Hiya Michael,

You are a gem and always have a way of saying things in the most polite and constructive way.

As in the words of the Terminator ..... "I will be back" :LOL:

Cheers

Nice shot for safe, but I would have preferred it without the text (y)

Hiya Joe, thanks for the comments. I was a bit stuck for this theme, I have another shot that I will be posting for safe.

Cheers

Hi Dawn,

Not been here for a while. I prefer the 2nd Safe shot, great lighting and spot on focus. (y)

Hiya Stan,

Thank you for popping past and the comments. I am just putting my week 47 together now and will post tonight.

Cheers

Hiya,

I think I am finally up to date .... but only have one shot for this one, which I think speaks for itself and as it was announced on bonfire night I couldn't resist going with the theme!

6335163617_258595c983_o.jpg
[/url]
IMG_0009 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Cheers

Evening Dawn and I hope you are well, my first thought with your image was the riots of the summer, reason being chaos with the fire and then the light of maybe the photographers/media capturing the moment etc

Evening Dawn and I hope you are well, my first thought with your image was the riots of the summer, reason being chaos with the fire and then the light of maybe the photographers/media capturing the moment etc

Hiya Kevin

Thanks for popping by, I am well thanks. Fortunately there were no riots in my immediate vicinity so didn't see any except what was on the news, however I can see how your thoughts were drawn to same.

Funny thing is we have already had 'chaos' in the Photo52 and guess this would have made an appropriate shot for that theme.

Cheers

Hiya

Right onto week 46 and this theme really had me thinking, after all there are so many living things around us. I didn't know where to start and wanted to think a bit outside the box with this one.

So when I saw our bottle that we throw small change in, I thought eureka .... especially as there aren't many coins in there :LOL: which sort of adds to the whole impact of the cost of living on the pocket.

I intentionally didn't dust the bottle to add to the sense that it doesn't get much use.

I also quite liked the shadow cast by the bottle .... which I thought adds to the gloom of the current economic climate.

So here one of the ways the cost of Living impacts on us:

6364712001_c8ebb0ab82_b.jpg

[/url] The impact of the cost of living by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Finally up to date with my project with the focus now on week 47 which I hope to do both a re-shoot of one of the previous weeks and also the 'light' theme.

Not long to go now until the end.

Any c&c will be muchly appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:
Cost of Living. I like the composition, lighting from the bottle and the vintage feel.

Looks oof, unsure if that was meant or not...:thinking:

It also seems to be leaning left slightly.

Cost of living is rising, yet i still find the cash to spend on photography...:clap:

Hiya Dawn, a great subject choice for living. It works very well. Like the shadow and the overall lighting.

Hiya Michael, thanks for the compliments (y)

Hi Dawn,

I like your thought and the idea behind the shot. The dark and mono ‘rather boring’ colour also enhanced the grim of current living standard. I like it. :clap:

Hiya Stan, thank you. I too thought the mono worked better than the vibrant original.

Nice idea :)

Hiya, thanks Jeff

Cost of Living. I like the composition, lighting from the bottle and the vintage feel.

Looks oof, unsure if that was meant or not...:thinking:

It also seems to be leaning left slightly.

Cost of living is rising, yet i still find the cash to spend on photography...:clap:

Hiya Andy, thanks for the comments. I can't see how it is OOF. Perhaps the processing makes appear same :shrug:

At first I too thought it seemed to be leaning slightly left, but I have checked and it is straight .... I think the angle of the shadow and lighting has created a slight optical illusion.

Lucky you to be able to still find the cash to spend on photography ..... I wish I could .... I have a long list of photography items I would love to be able to purchase :crying:

Thanks again all for the feedback, much appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Dawn
I like your composition for living. I feel you were correct in changing the image to mono. It just looks right.

Dawn...

I really like your safe shot... its like a poster the fire brigade would release!

The shot itself is good... the blur on the fire caused by the long exposure and the stopped down aperture to produce the star effect of the light to the right is just great!

Not long to go now.... although the busiest time of year to find the time... week on week.

Mark

Back