The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

The Fuji didn't come off so well in this shot.
There's 5-stops of ND grad over the sky and even the Fuji DR couldn't cope with that :D
But there's no flare from the Fuji, which is mighty impressive.

i-KvLRFmM-S.jpg
i-xxhkXkp-S.jpg

Last edited:
Brilliant review thread Duncan, and it looks like a hugely impressive piece of kit for what is a compact camera. It is certainly top of my wish list as a camera for Yves Geza to pop in a pocket and for me to use when I cba carrying the big guns. (y)

(y) (y)

Yup! I got terribly keen on an X100 earlier this year when I read a review in PhotoPro by Damien Lovegrove ... but I'm even more keen on the X10 and your review here is pretty comprehensively helpful. :)

The editing in the next set of images is minimal and has been clearly stated next to each image.

Moody skyscape.
Minor LR3 PP to straighten the horizon, fractionally up the contrast and add a half stop grad over the top left to balance the sky.
i-bzW46fD-L.jpg

Crop from the top to lose a relatively uninteresting bit of sky.
i-rNzqF8K-L.jpg

Solitude I
i-B2SnFgc-L.jpg

Solitude II
i-3wMCRGf-L.jpg

And finally, another of those wonderful sunset skyscapes straight out the camera to prove the earlier one was no fluke.
i-6mVJW4f-L.jpg

Yup! I got terribly keen on an X100 earlier this year when I read a review in PhotoPro by Damien Lovegrove ... but I'm even more keen on the X10 and your review here is pretty comprehensively helpful. :)

Hello YG :D
I've got to admit I also liked the idea of an X100.
The problem for me is the fixed lens; if I want everything a prime can offer (plus more) then I'll take the 5DII and 24 TSE II combination in a heartbeat.

The zoom range on the X10 is very seductive and infinitely more suited to my needs than the LX3 which it has replaced.
As the reviews are beginning to discover, the X10 lens seems to be sharp corner to corner at all focal lengths, even used wide open. It's way better than I was hoping for and vastly superior to the LX3.

Those images are superb!! I am still waiting to use mine properly but not had a chance to get out. Below are a few images from my house. One thing I really love about this camera is how the images convert to mono....

Loving those images Andy - especially the leaf with water droplets!
Thanks for posting them.
I've not tried playing with film styles or mono yet, I must give it a go (y)

It's very easy to be cheapest for something you don't have in stock..

Thanks for taking the time to post that review Duncan... That sort of attention to detail has been really useful.

I'd already pretty much made up my mind to get an X10 but your efforts have made the final decision for me! :)

Cheers,
Si

Will the X10 replace my 5DII?
No - it's a 5DII - nothings going to replace the 5DII until the 5DIII comes out :wacky:

Will I carry the 5DII less often?
Hmmmmmm :shrug:
Sure - there are circumstances the DSLR is a necessity. But if I'm only looking to print to A3, then when would the X10 prove inadequate?
If I'm driving around and stumble on something special (mists at dawn, etc) then I'm not going to be grieving that the only camera I have with me is the X10; it will do me proud.

The conclusion of my weekend playing with the X10 is that it and I are going to get along just fine.
Next time I go out with the X10, we won't be playing.

This morning my 5DII went for a swim (don't ask), and I'm on day 2 of a weeks break for photography and a bit of mountaineering :puke:
So the X10 is now my first choice of what is left in the camera bag.

Here's a few shots from my first day without the 5DII.
All shots are SOOC - no post processing.

Pre-dawn, hand held (and very ****ed off). Although the X10 has done very well, imagine what the 5DII would have done!
i-FT83M3X-L.jpg

Actually, the X10 did exceptionally well at this shot. Two other people in the group had 5DIIs and they didn't even attempt this shot. DR mode wins again!
i-mHRjFcm-L.jpg

This is the sort of shot pocket cameras are made for.
i-d9M7w79-L.jpg

Oooo - the light!
i-kLpGxKT-L.jpg

Oooo - more light!!!!!!!!
i-HqGknjf-L.jpg

Panorama in ultra contrasty conditions. The 5DII users in the group all had Lee Grads and were still complaining about the contrast; I quite like this!
i-JWBf78f-L.jpg

In summary - The X10 did very well, but I missed my 5DII.

EDIT: One of the photographers stood next to me when I took the panorama was Neil Mansfield (posts on TP as ChewyUK).
His shot taken with the 5DII and Lee Grads was used as a post-processing exercise in balancing light by Tim Parkin on the highly regarded Great British Landscapes website.
If you look at those images, you will see how incredibly well the X10 did in the conditions.

Last edited:
60D with 24mm TSE II versus X10 - please excuse the composition as it was only to test flare on the TSE. The X10 got some crackers from this location which I'll share later.

i-D3XKX9F-M.jpg
i-wSGfxGZ-M.jpg

Yup - the rubbish one with all the flare and lack of contrast is from the 60D with one of Canon's best lenses :crying:
When the 5DII had a bath yesterday, this lens was attached.
No water got inside the lens and visually it looks fine - but it obviously it is needing lots of TLC.
Both the body and lens are now winging their way to Canon Elstree for repair :(

Now that I'm without my favorite camera and favorite lens, I've spent the day with the X10 taking the sort of pics I'd normally take with the 'proper' gear.
I said earlier I'd get along fine with the X10 - I was right!
I'm extremely happy with the results!

I've been playing around with the X10's B&W; I'm impressed!

All these look capable of being printed to A3.
They have been lightly PP'd on an uncalibrated laptop monitor - they look OK here, fingers crossed they look OK on your screens!

Windswept tussocks.
i-PfhmLHB-L.jpg

Windswept grass.
i-s3rnfJW-L.jpg

Layers in the landscape.
i-XSSHDHT-L.jpg

Gorgeous tones on this wave-swept rock.
i-N4zfw7M-L.jpg

First B&W.
i-fbBrTHT-L.jpg

Mossy trees.
i-MvcHM6W-L.jpg

Well happy with the results I'm getting

I really hate this camera, so tempted to get one but am skint ATM! But seriously great review, really helpful...............

I currently use a Panasonic GF3 with 20mm lens and is nice and compact which is what I wanted coming from a LX5,seeing the results from the x10 I think I might have to ditch them for one,but am I taking a step backwards ? :thinking:

Had a play with one of these today, seemed a very capable little camera. I think I'd need to put some sort of grip or adhesive on it as it didn't feel too safe in the hands.

A few more piccies from a Wet and Windy Snowdonia.
Having sent my 5DII and 24 TSE II to Canon for repair, I'm only left with a 60D with 70-200.
So the X10 is currently my main camera for normal shots.
It's still producing piccies I'm very impressed with :thinking:

Most of these are straight out the camera, any PP is light touch up in LR3 to make it more like how I remember, not to recover an image from something that failed.

This sums up most of today! Taken through the windscreen.
i-vvBBRrd-L.jpg

Looking into the sheets of rain.
i-LcXSc4q-L.jpg

A wet walk through the woods.
i-GkMjnnf-L.jpg

X10 handled this extremely well - it exposed slightly to the right pulled back with a bit of reduced brightness in LR3.
i-6N9tqJR-L.jpg

Eventually the weather eased; this is the view inland from the Precipice Walk near Dolgellau.
i-6SRBMSt-L.jpg

Part of the impressive precipice walk.
i-QF6k24g-L.jpg

Panorama straight out the camera - is the X10 de-skilling landscape photography? That is one opinion I've heard in the last few days. I love it!
i-K3gZ4V8-L.jpg

The forecast was for the storm to clear leaving clear skies to the west and a perfect sunset. Typically disappointing; just a hint of pink viewed through the clouds. Right place, right time - need to go back on another day.
i-hv27Vtq-L.jpg

My X10 continues to impress me.
I reckon all these could be printed to A3, which is all I ever expect from any camera, and far more than I ever expected from a pocket camera.

I currently use a Panasonic GF3 with 20mm lens and is nice and compact which is what I wanted coming from a LX5,seeing the results from the x10 I think I might have to ditch them for one,but am I taking a step backwards ? :thinking:

Honestly - I don't know!
I hear lots of good things about the GF series, but the lack of zoom is a deal breaker for me as my DSLR is usually paired with the 24 TSE II.
The X10 is for every other shot I'm wanting to take (without having to swap lenses).

I like pixel peeping, but the purpose to to get enough quality to print at A3.
I've not yet had the opportunity to actually print from the X10, but from the pixel peeping, I reckon it's going to be fine.

Had a play with one of these today, seemed a very capable little camera. I think I'd need to put some sort of grip or adhesive on it as it didn't feel too safe in the hands.

I also wondered if the grip was going to be adequate - and so far it is doing fine!
I've had a look at how I hold the X10 and I think it's because I seem to have adopted a hand holding style that suits me.

My left hand index finger points straight upwards touching the left side of the optical viewfinder.
The zoom ring is operated by my thumb and second finger.
This nestles the X10 between the thumb and index finger and it cannot escape any direction except towards the right hand which holds the grip in the recommended stance..
Works for me... No idea if other peoples hands suit this too?

Here's what I mean by pixel peeping for printing at A3.....
Here's a 100% crop from one of the above images.

Due to pilot error, this was taken at ISO 800 hence the smearing of the foliage (whoops:() and f6.4 (f4 or less is recommended for sharpest images, whoops :puke:). Considering my poor camera technique, the amount of fine detail is mighty impressive and I believe the overall image is more than adequate for printing at A3.

100% crop of the earlier image
i-NBdK5Zs-L.jpg

Last edited:

Why not take a look at the results other people are getting with MFT? That's what I sometimes do when I think that kit is limiting me and whenever I do it I realise that I'm the weak link and try harder :D

Is that a photograph of a painting?

I presume you mean the 100% crop ?

It is ISO 800 and the noise reduction is still on factory defaults.
Seen in context of the whole frame, the foliage smearing isn't a problem.
I'm sure looking forward to Adobe releasing a RAW converter for LR3 so I've got proper control.

However - on my old LX3, even the full frame image wouldn't look that good at ISO 800. The X10 is a quantum leap better!

Today's X10 selection from wet and wild Wales......

First - another attempt at sunrise. It refused to do anything near the horizon, instead doing something very interesting directly overhead!
i-gnnT8PX-L.jpg

While sheltering in a wood from a very heavy shower I amused myself photographing this fircone.
i-n52PxsN-L.jpg

Wooded sand dunes - very tricky metering which the X10 coped with superbly.
i-sCr4WZv-L.jpg

Macro rock texture - Mmmmm
i-wvf54BV-L.jpg

Spooky skeleton in the rock...
i-rzgR3VT-L.jpg

I love waves - and today was brilliant to watch. Not so good for photography though, with gale force winds, spray and frequent heavy showers.
i-dDzkTqr-L.jpg

Today I flattened a fully charged battery in 360 shots.
I'd almost done for the day, so the spare battery hardly got touched.

Duncan, I Love your impressionist road scene, shot through the windscreen filter.

Cheers (y)
It's growing on me! It was taken out of sheer boredom/frustration at being pinned in the car by the weather.

Today's forecast is excellent, so I'm off up into the high mountains to push myself physically. Only camera gear I'm taking is the X10 and a spare battery. I'm aiming to be up high for sunset and walk off in the dark; fingers crossed for something spectacular.

So dumb question...from a lazy X100 owner. The DR results on here look amazing...I've got DR 100/200/400 on the X100, do they work the same?

have you noticed any issues with weird blown out hightlights? I noticed that people are raving about it on dpreview, burning fuji logos and getting rid of their x10's, but since there is an above average ratio of image puritans on that site i just wanted a more level headed impression.

This is where overblown highlights seem to appear as white discs on the image. Ive only seen a coulple of examples on there that really show it, the rest just seem to be people who dont know how to set the exposure right in the first place.

Back