Compact Advice Urgently Needed

Name
Philip
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

As a general use camera that can fit in the pocket, I have been thinking of buying a compact....Canon, Nikon etc.
However I have been looking online until my head hurts.
Main criteria are quality of image, and ease of use+ I don't want an ugly one.

Would some of you please give me your recommendations and why.

Thanks in advance,

Philip

I understand your dilemma, after reading many reviews I recently bought a Sony DSC- HX9V as my Ixus 400 has finally packed up.

Reasons: Solidily built, good battery life, excellent image quality, 16x optical zoom etc. Not sure I'll use the GPS tagging or panorama but HD movie is good to have occasionally. Have a Google and try one. £40 Sony cashback before end of December too.

All in all one of the best pocket cameras at the moment IMHO.

I favour the Panasonic Lumix range for some reason, I think they are easy to pick up on deals and produce good images.

+1

I still have my Lumix TZ7, picture quality is outstanding for a pocket size compact with a good zoom range.

For a "pocket" camera it would be Ricoh GRD4 without a doubt. It does have a prime lens rather than a zoom but I have never liked zoom lenses at all.

I favour the Panasonic Lumix range for some reason, I think they are easy to pick up on deals and produce good images.

The Lumix range is great, I use one and it produces good quality pics. I was using it on Sunday morning in the fog and was impressed with the macro!

A few people at work have them now as well and are all really pleased with them.

I love my Canon S95. It's about the best 'photographers' camera that can fit in any pocket...

I'm not sure what you expectations or budget are Philip but I have owned a few little IXUS compacts over the years and (for my needs) have been more than happy.

Price is sensible, build quality is good, they're up to scratch when you just want to point and shoot and allow you to take some manual controls when you want to. The Macro mode is also surprisingly good.

Here's a couple from what is now quite an old IXUS 80 IS

6067220658_305bedb23c_z.jpg

4836186584_4dd895170d_z.jpg

I love my Canon S95. It's about the best 'photographers' camera that can fit in any pocket...

:plus1:

I've recently picked up an S95 and I'm stunned by the image quality.
I initially bought a SX 230 HS and the IQ was crap.

Shooting raw on the S95 is hard to tell the difference between it and shots from my DSLR.

I honestly never thought a compact could take such high quality shots.

I'm really happy with my Canon G12, but it's a tad bigger than the S95 and S100, which are meant to be pretty awesome, too.

A few questions :

Whats the budget?
Do you need it to zoom to a ridiculous length or will x4 or 5 do?
Do you need HD video?

I recently was given a Samsung EX1 and I am very pleased with the IQ and the build quality.

Cheers

Andy

Thank you all very much, I really appreciate the help..
I think!!!!!! I have decided on the Ixus 220 HS ( but not in Barbie Red).
They have it in stock for £139 in the local Wilkinsons....I may change my mind before I get it on Friday. One thing is for sure, and that is, no more reviews online!
I didn't want one that may have kept my main gear in the cupboard.
I did you all the courtesy of looking at reviews of each one you recommended, so thanks again.

Take care,

Philip

What about the Nikon 7100? Looks great and am trying hard not to just go out and buy one as I need the money for Xmas :)

:plus1:

I've recently picked up an S95 and I'm stunned by the image quality.
I initially bought a SX 230 HS and the IQ was crap.

Shooting raw on the S95 is hard to tell the difference between it and shots from my DSLR.

I honestly never thought a compact could take such high quality shots.

really? i read that the sx230 is comparable

Postscript........ended up with a Lumix LX5. I like it, but haven't yet given it a good test since I loaded the latest firmware. The macro is quite amazing.

Again, thank you all for your replies,

Philip

You should love it, coming down to it from m4/3 it does stuff that my GH1 couldn't do, and the LX5 certainly shouldn't be able to but does! (ISO3200 and above useable for images larger than thumbnails, white balance works properly, OIS actually stabilises stuff and the lens is looooovevvvelly!)

If your happy with just keeping it on Auto mode mostly for quick snaps then Canon Ixus 115 HS is a cracking little cameraAmazon , smaller than a packet of fags. I got one for the wife 4 months ago as she wanted one to fit in any handbag, I must be honest, on some of my fishing trips I have been sneaking it into my wading jacket pocket to take pics of my trips. Full HD Video is superb too. Not bad for a £120.00

6212859042_ffa7bbd607_b.jpg

Back