weekly *Sarah* 2012 52 week challenge. Yippee I made it!!

Great ideas and great shots so far! Looking forward to seeing the rest :) good luck! hope you have a good 2012!:clap:

Sarah I love both your ideas. To my eye they both look a little on the soft side but good compositions and great ideas.

I don't think it would matter if on your first idea people had different speeds the changes in blur might add to it - but then I could be wrong I have never tried it.

Sarah, I too really like both takes on this theme but I think the last one (cropped) gets my vote. It is very creative, colourful and imaginative, nothing more to add other than a big (y). Iain

Hi Sarah...'pologies for not popping in sooner...soooo many threads :eek:

Like your thinking on both images....

1#...nice sense of movement...good colors...others have mentioned the straighten & you crit'd the writing blur...so just a (y) from me

2#...this is something I'm gonna have to try.....the crop is better...why do odd numbers work better...same with objects displayed in a house ?

Look forward to seenig your next 21 weeks....& hopefully might get along to a meet as I'm not too far from you

Cheers

I have no idea how you get the idea to do that! Very clever. I did what most thought initially, that this was done with drops of water. Wouldn't have thought that was on a piece of glass.

Ive seen before if you polish one spot well, or maybe the area around it with a rubber (not sure cant remember) then the water or whatever liquid you use should stay there. Not 100% on that but might work :)

I have no idea how you get the idea to do that! Very clever. I did what most thought initially, that this was done with drops of water. Wouldn't have thought that was on a piece of glass.

Ive seen before if you polish one spot well, or maybe the area around it with a rubber (not sure cant remember) then the water or whatever liquid you use should stay there. Not 100% on that but might work :)

Thank you for your comments and the tip on using a rubber:eek::eek:, I will give it a go and let you know how I get on. Glycerin is def the way to go as well!

Sarah, I too really like both takes on this theme but I think the last one (cropped) gets my vote. It is very creative, colourful and imaginative, nothing more to add other than a big (y). Iain

Thank you, its comments like these that spur me on to take more!:)

Sarah I love both your ideas. To my eye they both look a little on the soft side but good compositions and great ideas.

I don't think it would matter if on your first idea people had different speeds the changes in blur might add to it - but then I could be wrong I have never tried it.

Thank you, I am planning on having another go at some time so hopefully can experiment more with different amounts of blur!!

Sarah, that second one is brilliant.
It's something that I've tried before and rapidly run out of patience with. Maybe I'll get a chance to have another go for one of the later themes this year (although for my sanity's sake, maybe I'd better not :LOL:)

Thanks Sarah, have another try I think it might be addictive if my sanity holds up!!

Hi Sarah...'pologies for not popping in sooner...soooo many threads :eek:

Like your thinking on both images....

1#...nice sense of movement...good colors...others have mentioned the straighten & you crit'd the writing blur...so just a (y) from me

2#...this is something I'm gonna have to try.....the crop is better...why do odd numbers work better...same with objects displayed in a house ?

Look forward to seenig your next 21 weeks....& hopefully might get along to a meet as I'm not too far from you

Cheers

Thanks Lynne, please give it a go but don't blame me when you pull all your hair out!!:LOL::LOL:

Where abouts are you as we could always arrange a meet in the middle somewhere!

Brilliant 2nd shot! Really really like the concept and the delivery.

And a light trails meet should definitely be on the cards, we just need a spot somewhere (one of the M62 bridges?) and slightly better weather!

As much as I like #1 the second edit of #2 (the one with 5 water drops) is a cracker. You made a great start to this 52. Can't wait to see your take on the others.

The second is very good indeed - really like the thinking, the setting, the simplicity, the use of colours and the orginality :) It's a titchy bit soft but thats a very minor issue.

Really like both images. Love the movement in the first shot and your second shot with the odd numbered water droplets works really well. such a good idea. (y)

Thank you, its interesting how the odd number works more!

The second is very good indeed - really like the thinking, the setting, the simplicity, the use of colours and the orginality :) It's a titchy bit soft but thats a very minor issue.

Thank you, I will def have another go at this sometime as there is always room for improvement!! I think there is lots that you could do with refraction and shall def experiment more!!

I commented on Flickr but have to say it again here, Love the edit of #2.

Considering I like refraction shots so much I don't think I have ever tried one, so that's somethign I have got to do this year :)

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Awesome first entries, Sarah. I really liked the first one and thought that demonstrated real creativity and thought but the second one surpasses that. Agree with all the comments reflecting on patience and skill.

Can't wait to see what you come up with for next week.

Spooks

I commented on Flickr but have to say it again here, Love the edit of #2.

Considering I like refraction shots so much I don't think I have ever tried one, so that's somethign I have got to do this year :)

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Thank you, you really should if it a go, if I can do it you can!!:):)

Awesome first entries, Sarah. I really liked the first one and thought that demonstrated real creativity and thought but the second one surpasses that. Agree with all the comments reflecting on patience and skill.

Can't wait to see what you come up with for next week.

Spooks

Thank you, I just hope that I can keep up with this now!! I am looking forward to next weeks now!!

I really like the first photo of the people and the sign :) I was going to do something similar until I dug out the Monopoly board!

Best of luck with the project :)

I thought this week was going to be difficult when I read the title yesterday but managed to come up with 2 ideas. One I havent managed to get a good result with yet but shall hopefully try again one night this week!

Heres my FEAR photo!!

"Fear is a darkroom where negatives develop" - Usman B. Asif

Fear by kitegirl66, on Flickr

Last edited:
Excellent entries. If I might add some feedback for your first entry, I think the concept is brilliant, and you got what you wanted to get which I applaud. However, I think it would have been better to set up the camera with a wide angle on a tripod looking at the direction signs in 'profile', or from 90degrees. If this angle was executed well, could have really got a sense of people going in all directions at pace. However, I fear that might have made composition impossible and made it even more difficult to get more people in the shot - you could have been waiting all day. The alternative being to find another, busier spot.

Your second entry is very well done, i'm impressed.

I love your entry for 'fear'. Could relate to a lot of people.

Excellent entries. If I might add some feedback for your first entry, I think the concept is brilliant, and you got what you wanted to get which I applaud. However, I think it would have been better to set up the camera with a wide angle on a tripod looking at the direction signs in 'profile', or from 90degrees. If this angle was executed well, could have really got a sense of people going in all directions at pace. However, I fear that might have made composition impossible and made it even more difficult to get more people in the shot - you could have been waiting all day. The alternative being to find another, busier spot.

Your second entry is very well done, i'm impressed.

I love your entry for 'fear'. Could relate to a lot of people.

Thank you for your comments. I agree about choosing a signpost in a busier area but I really wanted to take that one as it showed the lighthouse in the backgound. The camera was on a tripod with a wide angle lens sat next to me, I have to admit to being worried about taking photos of people just wandering around and was very self conscience - (maybe a self portrait that day would have covered fear as well!!:LOL:)

Last edited:
Good take Sarah!!! Like it and very different from some of the others I have seen so far.

Love the blackness of the background, that sounds odd I know but its very black and that adds to the effect!

Thanks Alex, I'm glad you said about the 'black' as that was what I was hoping to achieve! It's amazing how much dust a torch shows up - I really must dust more often!!

Very nice photograph(s) Sarah, I like the movement and selective use of camera speed. The deep blue sky makes it a very pleasing image in Week 1.

Week 2 - The darkroom. Absolutely terrifying !, waiting to find out if you captured that all important image. No LCD screen to check your results! Are your exposures ok?, is your chemistry and temperatures in check. Negatives not damaged or scratched. ! - The good old days when so much could go wrong! - They weren't all that great really when I look back.....

Looking forward to seeing your work unfold over the next few weeks and months.

Nick

Last edited:
Like week 2 a lot very deep

Interesting take of Fear , lovely shot and great lighting , i like it well done.

Cheers

Steve

Agree - an interesting take on the Fear theme. The darkroom is certainly something that scares my GCSE students, especially processing a film.

"Fear is a darkroom where negatives develop" - Usman B. Asif

Oo-er, very thought-provoking :D

Great start to your 52

#1 - I really like this one, fits the theme just right with just enough blur

#2 - super creative, again fits the theme and is very eye catching.

#3 - nothing worse than putting a film to be developed and getting some rubish photos back! Very good photo thats fits perfectly

wardie

Back