weekly Bilko's 52 for 2012 - Week 48 Shadow Added

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
Like a lamb to the slaughter I feel like I'm setting myself up for a fall here.

I don't think I'm really able to do this, but I feel if I don't, my photography is never going to get off the ground.

Week 1 Direction
Week 2 Fear
Week 3 Sigh
Week 4 Sweet
Week 5 Secure
Week 6 Industry
Week 7 Root
Week 8 Handmade
Week 9 Money
Week 10 Win
Week 11 Shiny
Week 12 Magical
Week 13 Vice
Week 14 Entrance
Week 15 Soft
Week 16 Pride
Week 17 Short
Week 18 Flight
Week 19 Authority
Week 20 Leave
Week 21 Random
Week 22 Temperature
Week 23 Abstract
Week 24 Symmetry
Week 25 Moody & Reshoot
Week 26 Joy
Week 27 Small
Week 28 Straight
Week 29 Letter
Week 30 Contrast
Week 31 Mineral
Week 32 Dark
Week 33 Time
Week 34 Body
Week 35 Liquid
Week 35 Reshoot
Week 36 Up
Week 37 Duo
Week 38 Flow
Week 39 Friendship
Week 40 Change
Week 41 Natural
Week 42 Age
Week 43 Spread
Week 44 Together
Week 45 Pack
Week 46 Art
Week 47 Colour & Reshoot
Week 48 Shadow

Last edited:
I did a 365 the other year - got about 35 days in and just couldn't find the time on an evening to keep up. But I don't regret it - I took some okay images and I learned a bit along the way, so it served a purpose.

Just give yourself a brief that you know you'll be able to do, even on the weeks where time is very tight.

You'll be fine - good luck!! (y)

Tis hard to do I failed mine this year...:crying:

But if you set yourself a target go for it .. You will see an improvement in your photography...

A week is a long time use a few days to get ideas a few days to tey some shots then put your best effort up..

Good luck I will call by now and again to see how you get on..!!

MD(y)

..MD.. said:
But if you set yourself a target go for it .. You will see an improvement in your photography..

I have to echo dave's words. I managed to complete 52 this year... But there were weeks I got behind. But by the end looking back my photography came on in such leaps and bonds the photos I posted got some great comments and even I could see an improvement to be proud of. But don't just post a photo and be done. I learnt pp techniques to enhance my photo. Enrich colours and sharpening were the most I might push things overall....but male a.word of difference.

My Lab was called Bilko, the omens are looking good for you:)

Nice shot by the way, waiting by the arrow paid off.

Hi Robert...just about to log off & spotted your thread ...welcome to the madhouse :wave:

Love your interpretation of Direction....looks much better viewed bigger on flickr though (y)

Only slight crit would be a little more space to the left for the car to drive in to...part from that it's spot on for me...nice work mister :clap:

Last edited:
Thanks very much.

I had a couple of ideas and one was taking pictures from a bridge over the carriageway, but it didn't work at all. I took pictures of the sign on it's own but when cars came by, I thought it might add to the theme. I took a lot of shots and I was disappointed by my camera shake in nearly all of them.

Must try harder.

I even got approached by the PSNI, but they were civil and so was I. So there was no problem once I explained what I was doing.

Again, thanks for the support.

Thanks Michael.

I have to have something. I have no sense of imagination or an eye for a picture so this challenge may just help!

Nice idea, well executed. I like it a lot!
I really hope the weather clears up so I can get out and get something for my 52!

I like this. Nice one. I've never tried it myself, but wonder what this would have looked like with rear curtain flash to get a clearer image of the car at the end of its blur.

Good luck with the rest of your 52, off to a flyer!

Thanks again everyone.

Matty, that's a good idea, I didn't think of that, but would it have not been a bit risky though with the traffic?

Nice start. As Lynne said a bit more space in front would improve, but nice composition and inclusion of the sign post.

Developing a photographer's eye just take time...soon you'll see photograph opportunities everywhere.

Cheers.

Great first shot Robert, its great how you've captured the movement of the car with the arrow in the background. Look forward to seeing your attempt at Fear.

Thanks for the comments above.

Now for Fear.

I was really trying to figure out something and my first picture was a facial reaction. I wasn't convinced and so chose this rather touchy subject. I waited for someone to come into view before taking the picture to try and have the person beside the mural. I'm hoping the image works and speaks for itself.

Critique more than welcome.

Edited for the black & white version

week2fear-d by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

Last edited:
Direction, like it the car adds the movement and gives context to the sign.

For me your fear is the better of the two, probably not technically brilliant, (And i'm sure there are people better qualified than me to give you guidance) but what a well taken shot it does what to me a photo is all about captures a little bit of history and tells a story, everybody knows about the troubles that NI has had, but will the next generation, this photo captures that, for me anyway, i would have liked to see the top of the other fella on the wall, maybe taking it portrait may have got all that in.

Well done and i look forward to seeing the rest

Last edited:
Robert what a belter of a topic for the theme. This works for me on so many levels.

I would of liked to see more mural and less of the cars and taxi building, maybe square on the mural with someone walking in front or even just the mural would be on theme.

In black and white it would remind me of all those images in the papers back in the 80's

I like the B/w one best noise and all

Bilko

just found your thread, wk 1 super take on the theme, great sense of movement and direction.

Wk 2 wow, love it. B/W for me. The picture tells a powerfull story for the generation that remembers the trouble and struggle in NI. Well done (y)

Im liking both pics, they define the topics that has been asked and agree I think the black and white one looks good.

Last edited:
Doing a bit of catch up

Wk1 - That's a great image, well thought out and a super sense of direction, a great sign and love the car movement !!!

Wk2 - Another vote for the B&W Image - Strong fear for some i bet !!!

Good luck with the rest of your challenge - most of all... Enjoy (y)

Direction, it works nicely, good movement, nice

Fear, A great idea, I agree with the comments on the background, and it works... I think it could perhaps have been even stronger, if you could have roped in a volunteer to stand and look scared near the mural..

Back