weekly St-ephen's 52 2012 - week 8 - Handmade added.

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
No
Thought I'd give this a go as I've never tried anything like it before; no rules other than to just at least think about the shot, and to take one, especially for this event. (rather than trawl my archives).

Wk.1 Direction, Wk.2 Fear, Wk.3 Sigh, Wk.4 Sweet. Wk.5 Secure. Wk.6 Industry. Wk.7 Root Wk.8 Handmade Wk.9....... Wk.10....... Wk.11.......

1_52_direction.jpg

Lacking imagination and the prism on the dial is putting me off, but I'll try to improve this shot some way..

Last edited:
Hi Stephen, welcome to the 52 wk project. I like this, I would suggest not having the red strap in view, and a little wider on the view so there is a little bit more of the compass in view. God luck with the rest of the project (y)

I agree with this (y)

Have seen a few of these shots so far and I think they work very well.

good luck with the project!

Hi Stephen, welcome to the 52 wk project. I like this, I would suggest not having the red strap in view, and a little wider on the view so there is a little bit more of the compass in view. God luck with the rest of the project (y)

I agree with this (y)

Have seen a few of these shots so far and I think they work very well.

good luck with the project!

Thanks Guys. I agree too.

I like the cord being in view but like you say, the blurred effect on the W side of the prism is very off-putting.

Very crisp and clean though.

I really like this! The colours, composition an lighting work really well together, and I love the way the cord is just 'putting in an appearance' :)
I also like the way it's cropped in closely and 'north' is not in line with the edge of the image.
looking forward to seeing you next one!
x

I like the cord being in view but like you say, the blurred effect on the W side of the prism is very off-putting.

Very crisp and clean though.

I really like this! The colours, composition an lighting work really well together, and I love the way the cord is just 'putting in an appearance' :)
I also like the way it's cropped in closely and 'north' is not in line with the edge of the image.
looking forward to seeing you next one!
x

Thank you both. I've tried some today without the chord but imho it takes away more from the overall effect than it gives..

Week 2 - Fear.

I wanted to say that fear is all in your head. In this case, fear of snakes? They're just in your head.
Harsh flash was meant to enhance the scarey look.

2-52-fear.jpg
2_52_fear.jpg

My nephew was good enough to pose whilst swallowing his snake which is called Connie :)

Last edited:
Hi Stephen

Wk1 - A very sharp image, I like the composition myself and the red cord - Nicely taken, shame about the prism but hey ho nothing you could do with that :)

Wk2 - I Really like that, a good twisted take on the theme and I like the lighting !!!

Look forward to seeing the rest of your challenge (y)

Very good pic, gets the theme over very well.

Hi Stephen

Wk1 - A very sharp image, I like the composition myself and the red cord - Nicely taken, shame about the prism but hey ho nothing you could do with that :)

Wk2 - I Really like that, a good twisted take on the theme and I like the lighting !!!

Look forward to seeing the rest of your challenge (y)

Thanks guys. I wasted most of the week trying to drown someone in a skull with its top sliced off, but I couldn't make that work.

Excellent manipulation and fits the theme perfectly I think....not that I have a fear of snakes you understand. ;)

What a great start to your 52 Stephen (y)
The bold colours in #1 really standout to me, the positioning of the compass needle makes for a strong composition and I like the close crop too.

#2 Fantastic piece of PP, I wouldn't know where to start with doing something like that. The photograph itself works to the theme, I am sure any viewers with a phobia of snakes will certainly be in fear.

Good work on both themes Stephen, good luck with the rest of the challenge. Iain

That's gross, i absolutely love it, a fantastic take on the theme:)

What a great start to your 52 Stephen (y)
The bold colours in #1 really standout to me, the positioning of the compass needle makes for a strong composition and I like the close crop too.

#2 Fantastic piece of PP, I wouldn't know where to start with doing something like that. The photograph itself works to the theme, I am sure any viewers with a phobia of snakes will certainly be in fear.

Good work on both themes Stephen, good luck with the rest of the challenge. Iain

That's gross, i absolutely love it, a fantastic take on the theme:)

Really really nice work with fear!

Thanks guys. Glad you like it.

Week 3: Sigh

This could become all consuming...

I thought this was (is) a difficult subject but in the end I went to buy some cat food and snatched a chocolate fix at the till. However I didn’t have enough change in my pocket and when I discovered this whilst queuing I let out a sigh. Ahhh….. So....

3_52_Sigh.jpg

I should say that the price tag looks photoshopped, but it isn't. I did consider making it look less contrived but in the end I only tweaked with dodge & burn plus the vigneting.
3_52_Sigh.jpg

Now I have edited the label. The first time I think I've tried to make something that looked photoshopped but wasn't, into something that is but doesn't look it :wacky: Bugger. It still looks like an edit. I'll have another go sometime soon. May even reshoot!

Last edited:
A good idea for a difficult week. Well taken. (y)

another thread I missed

like em all, I'm not scared of snakes but they are scary in your pic *shiver*

:clap:

Just caught you thread Stephen

3 brilliant weeks, with some great pp work

A great start to the challenge IMO.
Direction is a nicely composed shot although if it where my shot the needle pointing just of north would do my head in :bonk:
That is an awesome image for fear, i'd really like to produce something like that but haven't got the first idea of where i would start in PS.
As for sigh, another great take on the theme and (y) for the PP

Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Great takes on all the themes. Must admit you PP is much better then mine ever was. ;)

All 3 capture the themes well. Like the chocolate one, I did have to count the money :LOL:

Look forward to seeing more!

Would you believe I took several shots with the right money? Yep - I did. Dohh.

A great start to the challenge IMO.
Direction is a nicely composed shot although if it where my shot the needle pointing just of north would do my head in :bonk:
That is an awesome image for fear, i'd really like to produce something like that but haven't got the first idea of where i would start in PS.
As for sigh, another great take on the theme and (y) for the PP

Look forward to seeing more of your work.

The needle thing was deliberate. Honest. You'll see that the lines on the compass body are oriented to the grid :)

I agree. three really good takes, keep up the good work (y)

Great takes on all the themes. Must admit you PP is much better then mine ever was. ;)

Thank you all. Very much appreciated.

Direction : Clear, and fits the theme perfectly. A good choice to line everything up precisely for such a close in shot

Fear : That's revolting... well created Stephen... and certainly something to be afraid of

Sigh : Great idea for the theme, works well.

hey Stephen.. didn't know you were 52'ing. Good on yer! You should have done a 365 with every single shot taken in Lyme Park... epic :LOL:

nice shots there so far.. i'll be following this thread with interest. Loving the fear theme.. great job (y)

Ah yes, sigh (or beg maybe!), big time.

Great shot except one small niggle; the price sticker look false to me, as in pasted in in PP; is it?

hey Stephen.. didn't know you were 52'ing. Good on yer! You should have done a 365 with every single shot taken in Lyme Park... epic :LOL:

nice shots there so far.. i'll be following this thread with interest. Loving the fear theme.. great job (y)

Hahaha.. I think I have enough for my 5 a day for that theme Leigh :LOL:

Thanks

Great subject for sigh, I did think about doing chocolate myself, but mine would been a sigh for not being able to touch chocolate for the last 12 or so years!

That is worth a sigh.

Love these, No2 oh my god! that seriously freaked me out!!!

:) Thanks

Ah yes, sigh (or beg maybe!), big time.

Great shot except one small niggle; the price sticker look false to me, as in pasted in in PP; is it?

It does look contrived and edited doesn't it, but it was just stuck on the plastic wrapper, and starting to unpeel at the bottom. I think it must look like that because it was parallel to the face of the lens, and being the only white it just stands out. I'd take another pic to show what I mean but I've eaten it :)

Back