weekly Sarah's 52 2012 : *ON HOLD for a while*

SarahLee

TPer Emerita
Name
Sarah
Edit My Images
No
I must be mad to be putting myself through this for a third time, but I did kind of miss it last year.

As far as rules go I'm going to keep this fairly loose, so while this is technically a 2009 revisited thread I may deviate from that a bit.

1) I intend to follow the 2009 re-visited themes and whenever one of the original themes is drawn I'll also include my 2009 pic to refer back to.
2) If a new theme is drawn from the 2009 re-visited bag, I may decide to shoot an alternative theme from the main 52 instead if it is easier fits better with my plans for that week. If I get the time and inspiration I may even submit a shot for each of the themes.
3) If work turns out to be as manic as it was this year I'll allow myself to use photos from my archive, as long as they fit the theme and were taken after 2009.

Index

Week 1 : Future PLUS Direction from main 52
Week 2 : Float PLUS Fear from main 52
Week 3 : Doom & Gloom PLUS Sigh from main 52
Week 4 :
Week 5 : Fresh Start
Week 6 : Identity
Week 7 : Simple
Week 8 : Handmade
Week 9 :
Week 10 :
Week 11 :
Week 12 :
Week 13 :
Week 14 :
Week 15 :
Week 16 :
Week 17 :
Week18 :
Week 19 :
Week 20 :
Week 21 :
Week 22 :
Week 23 :
Week 24 :
Week 25 :
Week 26 :
Week 27 :
Week 28 :
Week 29 :
Week 30 :
Week 31 :
Week 32 :
Week 33 :
Week 34 :
Week 35 :
Week 36 :
Week 37 :
Week 38 :
Week 39 :
Week 40 :
Week 41 :
Week 42 :
Week 43 :
Week 44 :
Week 45 :
Week 46 :
Week 47 :
Week 48 :
Week 49 :
Week 50 :
Week 51 :
Week 52 :

Since I've had some time off work this week, I have a photo for each of the two themes this week . . . don't get used to it though. From week 2 it's very likely to be strictly one photo a week :LOL:

2009 re-visited : Future

What better time to think about the future than New Year? So here's my New Year inspired offering.
New Year got me thinking about celebrations (crackers) and clocks striking midnight which led me to attempt to combine the two. I chose the glass beads because they gave the feel of something spilling out of the cracker, matched the colour scheme and echoed the shape of the watch - although with hindsight I think that the watch is now perhaps a little too subtle in amongst it all.

2012 52 : Direction

I'm hoping that this one needs no further explaining in terms of theme.
The biggest challenge was getting something that actually looked straight - hardly any of the drawing pins had totally vertical pins, so this is probably the best compromise that I could come up with.

OK that's me done.
I'm going to try to get round as many of the other threads as I can over the next few days.

Hi Sarah. The first is a great shot and the watch does stand out on the shot thanks to the composition of it. It's subtle but in a good way and captures the theme very well.

The second is simplicity at its best :) nuff said.

Really like both though I cant decided about the watch in #1. Fits the theme though.

I thought about picking up the 09 themes too but I dont want to stress myself out with it all! I am only on week 1 after all.

wow, very creative :clap:

like the direction shot, looks very pretty, lovely bokeh, light and colour.

Hi Sarah:wave:
You don't do anything by halves do you? A double challenge, the very best of luck with it.
I like both your images and don't think the watch is too subtle in #1, it draws the viewers eye into the photograph and certainly held my attention whilst looking around the image.
#2 I like the tones in this photograph, I like the crop, dof and composition too. It is sharp (see what I did there ;)) nothing i would change in this. Iain

Wow....love both of these. In particular the drawing pins. Such a clever idea and well executed (y)

Hi Sarah, both of these are fantastic and very imaginative, where do you get your ideas from!!

Can't say much more its all been said before but I look forward to seeing your next photos!

The Future: Yeah very nice concept Sarah and the lighting and dof add a great dollop of quality :) (technical term) :)

Direction: Clever, clever idea - nicely executed too - pin sharp too (hehe) I do like a shallow dof :)

Future is very clever :) Direction is great. Can really appreciate the time and effort that went into setting it up.

Good luck with your projects :)

love your Direction shot Sarah, superbly executed and a very clever interpretation of the subject
x

Hi Sarah - It's great to see you still enjoying (?) the 52 madhouse! Sorry I haven't commented before, but you'd posted Week 1 before I saw your thread and I didn't want to look at your Future pic until I'd done mine.

The Future: There's no end to your creativity - I love the thinking behind it. The glass beads were a great choice - they add interest and substance without overpowering the image. I'm inclined to agree with you that the watch could have been a bit more prominent though, it would also make it clearer that the time is set for midnight, the second when today becomes yesterday and tomorrow is no longer the future! You can tell I've been reading Buja's thoughts on the future. ;)

Direction: Stunning - simple, graphic, needing no explanation whatsoever and great dof. I don't think you can be blamed for any shortcomings in the manufacture of the drawing pins. :clap:

Best of luck with the next 51 weeks. :)

Jean

Aha... I'd forgotten about your creativeness in all this Sarah. Well done and a superb pair of images. I had no issue with the watch in Future, it stood out from the image. The only thing I'd say about the watch, I'm not sure in what way, but it looks sort of 'flat', that's not really what I'm looking for but...

As for direction... well... spot on and tack sharp

The Future: Yeah very nice concept Sarah and the lighting and dof add a great dollop of quality :) (technical term) :)

Direction: Clever, clever idea - nicely executed too - pin sharp too (hehe) I do like a shallow dof :)

I can't add anything to this (that's what happens when you don't look until after you have posted your own shot - usually on the last day :eek:)

A great start to both 52s and I'm so looking foward to the rest of your year's offerings :clap::clap:

Loving the shot for direction - I like the bent pins, adds character to the short, otherwise it would be just too uniform for me.

Future - I know the cracker isn't the focus of the shot, but the blown bits on top the cracker draw my eye a little bit too much, which distracts from the actual subject matter. Probably just me though - I'm always looking at the wrong end of things!! :thinking:

:eek: I can't believe that we're into week 3 already - and I've only just thought about getting my week 2 images up.

Sincere thanks to everybody who's dropped in and commented and my apologies for not replying sooner. Last week was the first week back in work after the Christmas break and to say that things were a bit fraught is an understatement. Hopefully it's not a sign of the way 2012 is going to be . . .

Looks like opinion is still split on whether the "future" watch is too subtle or not - and I'm still sat on the fence myself :LOL:
Just to pick up a few of the other comments :

Hi Sarah:wave:
You don't do anything by halves do you? A double challenge, the very best of luck with it.

Iain - believe me this really isn't going to be a double challenge for the whole 52 :puke:
Thought I'd get in there with an extra shot while I had time and to make up for the weeks where I'll probably rely on some archived photos !!!

I had no issue with the watch in Future, it stood out from the image. The only thing I'd say about the watch, I'm not sure in what way, but it looks sort of 'flat', that's not really what I'm looking for but...

Hi John,

I can see what you mean about the watch being flat, and TBH I'm not sure what caused that. Perhaps because the light source was coming from the window behind it :thinking:. I suppose I could have got the reflectors out to get some more directional lighting across the face - but the honest answer is that I couldn't be bothered :confused::

Future - I know the cracker isn't the focus of the shot, but the blown bits on top the cracker draw my eye a little bit too much, which distracts from the actual subject matter. Probably just me though - I'm always looking at the wrong end of things!! :thinking:

Hi Keri,

Absolutely no such thing as looking at things wrong :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
You just keep saying what you see !!!

For my part, it was a conscious decision to leave the cracker partially blown. With the cracker "correctly" exposed the foreground was far too dark. I did consider HDR treatment but it wasn't right for the subject matter and I quite liked the way that the blown areas combined with the DoF helped the cracker to blend into the b/g.

With hindsight though, I think it would have benefited from a little more lighting attention. Perhaps just a reflector to bounce some more light into the foreground or a little fill flash - it would have helped retain a bit more detail in the body of the cracker.
(see my confession to John above, about being too lazy to faff around with getting any more equipment out though)

Anyway onto Week 2 . . .

Talk about leaving things until the last minute!!! :LOL:

Here's my take on "float".
I actually really liked this theme and it's probably one I'll revisit if we get a reshoot week. So many great ideas for this, but so little time to get out and do anything about it this week :(
So I've settled for a simple flower floating in a dish of water.

I used a desk fan rigged up with sheets of card to direct the air to blow across the surface. The intention being to break up the reflection a little and try to make it obvious that it was actually water and not a mirror.
It also introduced an unanticipated bit of movement into the lower petals, which I was happy to leave as it gave a more "floaty" feel IMO.

And despite saying that I wasn't going to commit to both sets of themes each week, I had a recent one in my archive that I thought was perfect for "fear". It has been shown on the forum before, so apologies to anyone who's already seen it.

Now if the rest of you'll just slow down and hold off on posting week 3, I actually might be able to get around a few week 2 threads before I think about this week's theme !!! :LOL: :razz:

Two very nice shots. I really like the flower shot, so sharp and detailed. The fear shot also fits floats ;)

Float: Lovely idea and I like the mono colours. The water does look suitably rippled. I like the side lighting, but if I'm being very picky, I would like just a touch more light on the flower to give a bit more oomph (technical term!) to the reflection - if that makes sense. I think there's an excellent pic waiting to emerge from a good one. And that doesn't detract from it being a great interpretation of the theme. :)

Fear: That looks very spooky! Classic Sarah. (y) Did you take any with the skill three-quarters view - straight on just looks a bit like a passport pose! Not that he's going anywhere judging by the cobwebs. ;) I love the swirly effect and multiple images. Very atmospheric and certainly spooky enough to invoke fear in anyone. (y)

Excellent black blacks on both shots! :clap:

Jean

Another great start just like 2009 I only managed 14 weeks so hats off to you and every one else who kept up with the 52 love the direction idea also the fear theme with skull and reflections well done:clap:

Sarah you're another one of the mad ones doing two!!!

Future and Direction, both really imaginative and both top drawer compositions, have to admit i wouldn't have spotted the watch if you hadn't mentioned it.

Float and fear - both stunning shots that actually complement each other well

:clap: very well done on both of those Sarah. Both work, both fit the theme and do in fact work together as a pair.

Love the floating flower Sarah, well focused and great exposure.

As has been said before, the second picture fits the theme of Float too :D

Hope life calms down a bit for you soon

Hi Sarah :wave:

A third 52? You are definately crazy but I admire your dedication :clap:

Week 1 -
The Future - I am going to be completely honest and say I didn't see the watch to start with and I didn't really 'get' it in terms of the theme. In a way the sublty is good as it's one of those "oh I get it" moments but it just took a bit too long for realisation to sink in for me. That could of couse be me rather than the shot though!
Direction - I actually prefer this shot and the wonky pins didn't bother me until you pointed it out. It's a little bit abstract which I like - good use of colour too. Me likey (y)

Week 2 -
Float - I had the same issue as you with it not being that obvious that the thing was in fact floating and not sat on a mirror. I think you have coped with that well but the shadows are detracting from the overall shot. It is just a bit dark.
Fear - Classic Sarah processing - not much more to say really!

Two very nice shots. I really like the flower shot, so sharp and detailed. The fear shot also fits floats ;)

Thanks Ruth - I did consider cheating and just using one shot to fit both themes :LOL:

Hiya Sarah, the flower is really nice, like the reflection there, the desk fan worked well and I really like the reflection you have produced. The skull, is excellent, really like that pic,the composition is spot on.

Thank you Michael - still working on that desk fan idea, so I may refine it more for something else before the 52 is over.

Float: Lovely idea and I like the mono colours. The water does look suitably rippled. I like the side lighting, but if I'm being very picky, I would like just a touch more light on the flower to give a bit more oomph (technical term!) to the reflection - if that makes sense. I think there's an excellent pic waiting to emerge from a good one. And that doesn't detract from it being a great interpretation of the theme. :)

Fear: That looks very spooky! Classic Sarah. (y) Did you take any with the skill three-quarters view - straight on just looks a bit like a passport pose! Not that he's going anywhere judging by the cobwebs. ;) I love the swirly effect and multiple images. Very atmospheric and certainly spooky enough to invoke fear in anyone. (y)

Excellent black blacks on both shots! :clap:

Jean

Jean thank you for the detailed critique.
I've been working and refining this black b/g / reflection in water thing since I did that floating mask thing in 2009, so plenty of food for thought there to take forward to next time.

Unfortunately Sidney the skull is actually an aquarium ornament and has a huge gaping hole in the top of his head that makes 3/4 shots a touch challenging for him. Front on is definitely his best side :LOL:

Another great start just like 2009 I only managed 14 weeks so hats off to you and every one else who kept up with the 52 love the direction idea also the fear theme with skull and reflections well done:clap:

Thanks Shaun.

Hey Sarah,
loving the skull. Nice use of additional webbing, and smoke for added atmosphere :)

Thanks for dropping by Dade :wave:
Much appreciated

Like float! Very nice. I keep forgetting I have week 3 to do, too busy looking at everyones!

Thank you Alex - there are certainly plenty to look at this year !!!

Sarah you're another one of the mad ones doing two!!!

Future and Direction, both really imaginative and both top drawer compositions, have to admit i wouldn't have spotted the watch if you hadn't mentioned it.

Float and fear - both stunning shots that actually complement each other well

Lizzy, I'm definitely not committing to two every week :LOL:
If I can manage it I will, if not this is going to be more of a sort of pick;n;mix affair.

Thank you for your comments.

:clap: very well done on both of those Sarah. Both work, both fit the theme and do in fact work together as a pair.

Thanks John.
They were actually taken at different times, but both using the same set up which I've been tweaking and developing for a while.

Love the floating flower Sarah, well focused and great exposure.

As has been said before, the second picture fits the theme of Float too :D

Hope life calms down a bit for you soon

Thanks Jill.
Been back and fore London over the last week, so it's been a busy one again but things should be settling down now I'm back in the swing of a new year.

Some great images Sarah. Keep up the good work and iv now subscribed.

Thanks Tony.

Hi Sarah :wave:

A third 52? You are definately crazy but I admire your dedication :clap:

Week 1 -
The Future - I am going to be completely honest and say I didn't see the watch to start with and I didn't really 'get' it in terms of the theme. In a way the sublty is good as it's one of those "oh I get it" moments but it just took a bit too long for realisation to sink in for me. That could of couse be me rather than the shot though!
Direction - I actually prefer this shot and the wonky pins didn't bother me until you pointed it out. It's a little bit abstract which I like - good use of colour too. Me likey (y)

Week 2 -
Float - I had the same issue as you with it not being that obvious that the thing was in fact floating and not sat on a mirror. I think you have coped with that well but the shadows are detracting from the overall shot. It is just a bit dark.
Fear - Classic Sarah processing - not much more to say really!

:wave: Hi Fi.
Yep I must be completely mad, but I really missed this last year :LOL:
Thank you for the comments - you and Jean both saying "classic Sarah processing" I didn't realise that I had a style :D !!!

You've picked up on the couple of things that I wasn't entirely happy with in float and future . . . all mentally stored away for when we get a reshoot week and I'll see what I can do about them then. I think the foundation of the idea is there in both of them, it's just not quite how I wanted it to turn out.

:D Well yet another week where I've managed to submit something for both themes (this really can't last much longer!) and at last we have one of the original 2009 themes to compare back to.

As I set out in my opening post I'll share my original 2009 shot for any repeat themes so that I can measure my progression . . . and here you have the original "Doom & Gloom" from 2009. It's one of those that I was quite pleased with at the time, but look back on now and cringe a bit :puke:

Original Week 44 2009 - Doom and Gloom

Stonesized-2.jpg

Anyway let's fastforward to 2012 again, and here are my 2 offerings for this year.

Doom and Gloom is one of a series of shots that I played around with using this little mannequin and some light painting - I think he looks suitably gloomy.

Sigh is admittedly a shot from before Christmas, but I've only just rescued it from the depths of my harddrive. This is my great-niece Maddie dressed up in her fairy fancy dress outfit . . . by this point in the proceedings she was getting very fed up with being dressed up, photographed and generally messed about :LOL: It was filed away as an outtake from the session, but I think her expression fits with sigh.

Week 3 2012 : Doom & Gloom

Week 3 2012 : Sigh

Oh my goodness....your D & G shot...how clever that is! I have one of those as well...would never of thought to pose it like that! And the pool of light. Very clever

(and Ive just seen Float...very nice indeedy.)

Last edited:
Back