weekly PhiltheJuggler's 2012 52! - Week 8 - Handmade - Wooden Bowl

Hi Phil, my first time viewing your thread so here goes.
Direction - that's a great capture, I too like the subtle take on the theme. Direction is the only thing these guys are thinking at this time if year. (y)
Fear - another great shot. Hadn't thought of going to a pet shop before and asking to take some shots. Maybe get a chance later on in the 52. A quick question did you use a polarised filter to stop reflection of the glass??? Not been doing this long and have heard that they can help with this problem??

Look forward to seeing your next 50 images :)

Hey Phil!
Good to see you still at it, my friend :)

I havent been ont he forum of late, but I thought I would try another 52 - took last year off to 'improve' my photography and work on the business more. But Im back and hoping I have something to offer.

Week 1 - Nice image, safe, well lit.
Week 2 - LOVE IT! Perfect for the theme, nice PP and great detail!

Having another go Phil ?? How many does that make it now ? I recall you were on the 2010 52's...

Direction : Lovely image of the goose, and an interesting pose you've caught.. It works for the theme

Fear : That's something else... superb. Mono works great.. amazing details.. and the fear almost leaps out of the image to grab you by the throat...

Hi Phil....sorry for taking soooo long to pop in on your thread:crying:

Fab start to your project mister

Direction...another out of the box thought for the theme but works for me ...nice n sharp.....great DOF...fab detail in the feathers & you can almost hear him/her thinking" whats up there? "...great shot :clap:

Fear....OMG....scared the wotsits out of me...hate 'em....anything with that many legs is just WRONG :LOL: Whilst I like the mono version for me the color one takes 1st place...they are such a lovely color ...really excellent shot Mister :clap:

Thank you so much for the comments - maybe I'll actually get round to reciprocating this weekend.

I can certainly relate to this type of fear! Spiders literally make my skin crawl. The bigger they are, the worse it is.

Did you try a lower POV by any chance?

That's as low as I could go due to the design of the cage.

Hi Phil, my first time viewing your thread so here goes.
Direction - that's a great capture, I too like the subtle take on the theme. Direction is the only thing these guys are thinking at this time if year. (y)
Fear - another great shot. Hadn't thought of going to a pet shop before and asking to take some shots. Maybe get a chance later on in the 52. A quick question did you use a polarised filter to stop reflection of the glass??? Not been doing this long and have heard that they can help with this problem??

Look forward to seeing your next 50 images :)

I opened the glass front, so no need for a polarizer!

Hey Phil!
Good to see you still at it, my friend :)

I havent been ont he forum of late, but I thought I would try another 52 - took last year off to 'improve' my photography and work on the business more. But Im back and hoping I have something to offer.

Week 1 - Nice image, safe, well lit.
Week 2 - LOVE IT! Perfect for the theme, nice PP and great detail!

Many thanks - I loved your '52 in 2010 - one of the best. I look forward to seeing more of your work soon.

Having another go Phil ?? How many does that make it now ? I recall you were on the 2010 52's...

Direction : Lovely image of the goose, and an interesting pose you've caught.. It works for the theme

Fear : That's something else... superb. Mono works great.. amazing details.. and the fear almost leaps out of the image to grab you by the throat...

This is the second '52! Thanks for the compliments....

Week 3 - Sigh

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, f/11 @ 50 mm, 1/125, ISO 100

p387115389-6.jpg

Sigh - behind the scenes view:

Horrid hotel - improvised studio!

40cm white gridded beauty dish as key light camera left. Gridded strip box camera right. Gridded reflector as hair light (you can just see this behind the beauty dish) and a reflector with barndoors to light the black ground to make it slightly grey.

p22680549-4.jpg

Right-have got round a few threads now - will try to do some more over the next few days!

Phil

Lovely portrait, and she's definitely sighing, probably about the hotel room!

Many thanks, both. I thought the behind-the-scenes might be interesting for those contemplating dabbling in studio lighting.

There's definitely a sigh of "not another bl***y photograph" :LOL:

It was such a long shoot, she probably was thinking that!

hat has worked very well, an excellent sigh on the models face. Lovely lighting, and thanks for the setup

Many thanks - it took me a while to fiddle with the lighting, but I think the highlights in the hair helps the overall shot.

Hi Phil, apologies for not getting to your thread sooner.

Direction. V nice shot with great dof, but didn't scream direction at me.

Fear. Can't fault at all, excellent idea, shot spot on.

Sigh. Definitely a sigh shot, lol looks like she wanted to get out of there sharpish.

Cracking start to your 52 :)

snorton said:
Hi Phil, apologies for not getting to your thread sooner.

Direction. V nice shot with great dof, but didn't scream direction at me.

Fear. Can't fault at all, excellent idea, shot spot on.

Sigh. Definitely a sigh shot, lol looks like she wanted to get out of there sharpish.

Cracking start to your 52 :)

Many thanks for taking the trouble to comment!

Phil

That's a wonderful shot for sigh. The expression in her face is spot on!! I haven't got the first idea about studio photography as I've only just started out, however the results you have gotten are pretty amazing. The lighting in the image is superb. (y)

Week 4 - Sweet

Sweet Revenge

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, f/9 @ 100 mm, 1/125, ISO 100

p126898648-5.jpg

Last edited:
Week 4

I had this crazy idea of some sinister sweet-beings coming to attack. I wanted hard lighting with clear shadows so I used a gridded studio strobe and a reflector for fill.

Not sure what I think of the result!

Phil

michael23 said:
I like that idea! Great lighting, only thing I would suggest is to maybe have them facing the camera or a little to the right. There is certainly a sinister feel to the yellow one in the backgorund.

Thank you - I think a different angle might have improved it.

Phil

A good take on the theme Phil, your set up has given some simple sweets a bit of character, very creative I like it (y) iain

Sigh: Your lighting has worked well - the hair light definitely adds the finishing touch. I think it would work well as a square crop - to lose most of her arm - and there's just one tiny curl of her hair on the 'wrong' side of her wrist which keeps catching my eye. Your model's created a lovely wistful expression and the colour of the flower in her hair is spot on. A lovely take on the theme! :)

Sweet: What a brilliant idea! Looks a bit War of the Worlds to me - excellent. I love the harsh lighting, it adds to the drama, but think a single colour b/g would add more impact. The light 'floor' and the black background detract from the marching aliens. Definitely a shot to make me smile on a grey miserable day. Sweet indeed, Phil (y)

Jean

Many thanks, guys!

Phil

Week 5 - Secure

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, f/5.6 @ 50 mm, 1/160, ISO 100

p887692112-6.jpg

Secure - studio shot lit by two strip soft boxes - one either side of model.

I asked Jwan to image feeling safe & secure and this is the pose she came up with. I loved the image in colour, but then liked the way the tones came across even more when I went to B&W.

I hope you like it.

Thanks for looking.

Phil

Last edited:
Nice idea phil - seems more insecure at first glance, but I also see the security in the pose.
Only real thing that stands out and distracts me is the reflections on the flooring.

Nice idea phil - seems more insecure at first glance, but I also see the security in the pose.
Only real thing that stands out and distracts me is the reflections on the flooring.

Thanks! Actually - what you can see is not the floor, but the edge of a stool she's sitting on.

Phil

I think both 'sweet' and 'secure are very good. The latter with it's dramatic lighting is a really good interpretation (y)

sweet i absolutely love, i just wish i could think that creatively

Secure - its a lovely shot and the B/w works well

Back