weekly Manc Man 52/2012 -WEEK 15 - Departed

Darker side to the sweets? As the all taste delicious .... Thanks Mandy

Too good Mandy! lol I got the dentist on Friday cause a fruit gum pulled a filling out...wish I'd stuck to chocolate :(

Carol

Hi Darren,
Like both takes, great lighting on the first, the hat works very well in the 2nd, my only crit is that the scratches on the 2nd seem to keep pulling my eyes towards them, still a great week though.

I like the first one with the dark background, 2nd shot has a 'slightly' distracting background with the scratches, unless it was intentional, then ignore me :D I feel a bit of a hypocrite critiquing anything as I am quite new to actually trying to get good shots.

Where did you get the items incidentally?

Nothing sure make you feel more secure then a Bobby, great choice and photos. ;)

-aurorae- said:
I like the first one with the dark background, 2nd shot has a 'slightly' distracting background with the scratches, unless it was intentional, then ignore me :D I feel a bit of a hypocrite critiquing anything as I am quite new to actually trying to get good shots.

The father in LAW. All original items, the whistle is about 46 years old, he got it when he first joined.

Hi Darren,

Love the second one, the hat makes the shot for me.

Carol

Cheers, my fav is number 1

Hi Darren,
Like both takes, great lighting on the first, the hat works very well in the 2nd, my only crit is that the scratches on the 2nd seem to keep pulling my eyes towards them, still a great week though.

can only agree with the scratches, PC went down today so i was unable to clone out. Will re try when i get my PC fixed

As above, dont worry. i am also a complete noob at photography

Great addition mate,

Cheers Matt

Nothing sure make you feel more secure then a Bobby, great choice and photos. ;)

I was waiting for a theme like this to pop up......

Very good Darren... really like both shots, I think the lighting goes well with the age of the items (y)

Light was all natural, think i was very lucky...

thank you all for your C + C........ :)

Secure indeed and the inclusion of these objects works well.

I did a closer crop and felt it worked better. I also think the helmet could work well on its own...perhaps a bit of lightpainting would work :thinking:

Cheers.

Secure indeed and the inclusion of these objects works well.

I did a closer crop and felt it worked better. I also think the helmet could work well on its own...perhaps a bit of lightpainting would work :thinking:

Cheers.

both now with closer crop.

i thought about light painting, but i have done it on the other themes, so i thought i would give it a miss this week. :bonk:

That could be secure of fear depending on which end of it you're on :)

Two cracking shots there mate, agree that the lighting really suits the era. Could even see it in mono or sepia.

A great idea on the theme. I like both shots although I'm siding more towards the first. The lighting is great on both but I can't help but wonder if the second would be better without the hat on top of the truncheon. it just obscures it a little too much for me. Maybe having them all visible at a lower angle may work better :shrug: just personal preference I gues

Hi Darren...glad to see you're still with us :)

Secure...what a fab idea...#1 takes it for me...simple & effective & good focus :clap:
#2...like the inclusion of the helmet ( though that would also work on it's own for the theme ) just ...dare I say it....focus seems a little off ? especially when compared to the #1 image

Cheers

I apologise but I agree with Lynne with the second one. It does look a bit fuzzy. But I like your take on secure.

(y)

Hi Darren...glad to see you're still with us :)

Secure...what a fab idea...#1 takes it for me...simple & effective & good focus :clap:
#2...like the inclusion of the helmet ( though that would also work on it's own for the theme ) just ...dare I say it....focus seems a little off ? especially when compared to the #1 image

Cheers

Still here and kicking. guess i should put my name on the spreadsheet :bonk:
looks ok to me, i will check on another PC. i also go for number 1

I apologise but I agree with Lynne with the second one. It does look a bit fuzzy. But I like your take on secure.

(y)

the helmet is fuzzy, but it is a felt like material, not sure if that what your meaning.

the helmet is fuzzy, but it is a felt like material, not sure if that what your meaning.

Haha I know they are fuzzy I meant it looks a bit out of focus but I will confess that my laptop isnt the greatest. It may be that the dark back ground doesnt work well on my laptop?

Thank you all for all you C + C, its more than welcome..

Things I have started to learn is how to look for that better image and try and imagine how someone other than me is going to view my photos, trying to compose a better photo, using methods I have never used before. LP DoF. Big up for the TP forum team and forum members for making me think outside the box and look at the world I live in with different eyes.
I take pics most days at work, buts it's only when I get home that I take photos.
Viewing everyone else's photos also helps me along my photographic journey.

Darren

Well as soon as i found out what the theme was i knew what i was going to do, my only problem is that you dont have this stuff just lying about the house.

Something that should make us all feel SECURE but sometime it doesn't.

as always please free to C & C

I prefer the second one because the first one's underexposed for the baton but perfectly exposed for the cuffs, on saying that the second ones overexposed for the cuffs and perfectly for the hat and baton.

If you were able to do a little dodge / burn on the cuffs in the second one I think it'd improve it a little?

Great idea though, and props too!!

Secure i prefer the one without the hat, think the hat is one item too many in the second

Sweet - prefer the first by a long shot.
Secure - Very nicely taken shots, esp the 2nd but they don't say secure to me, I first thought they were (good) fear shots for whatever reason.

Secure i prefer the one without the hat, think the hat is one item too many in the second

thank you Lizzy

Sweet - prefer the first by a long shot.
Secure - Very nicely taken shots, esp the 2nd but they don't say secure to me, I first thought they were (good) fear shots for whatever reason.

very strange, they didn't shout out fear to me. but that why we are all individual and we all look at thing in s different way.
But thank you for your feedback.... :clap:

Excellent take on the theme. I'm leaning more towards the first shot of the 2, for me the lighting adds to the shot more, and the marks on the background inbetween the baton and cuffs, in the 2nd one, for me are slightly distracting. Nevertheless still excellent shots. My first thought on seeing the shots was that you'd taken a trip to the :police: museum on Bootle Street :D

snorton said:
Excellent take on the theme. I'm leaning more towards the first shot of the 2, for me the lighting adds to the shot more, and the marks on the background inbetween the baton and cuffs, in the 2nd one, for me are slightly distracting. Nevertheless still excellent shots. My first thought on seeing the shots was that you'd taken a trip to the :police: museum on Bootle Street :D

Cheers for that Simon, had an issue with my PC so I couldn't clone out the marks.

Last edited:
Well when i found out this week theme was INDUSTRY i had to pay a trip to the MOSI.
Manchester the heart of the indutrial revolution.

The introduction of steam power fuelled primarily by coal, wider utilisation of water wheels and powered machinery (mainly in textile manufacturing) underpinned the dramatic increases in production capacity

i have tried to include steam, coal, water wheel and the cotton industry.

as always please free to C + C

edit on frame.

The Davy lamp is a safety lamp for use in flammable atmospheres, consisting of a wick lamp with the flame enclosed inside a mesh screen. It was invented in 1815 by Sir Humphry Davy. It originally burned a heavy vegetable oil. It was created for use in coal mines, allowing deep seams to be mined without danger of explosion, despite the presence of methane and other flammable gases, called firedamp or minedamp.

Last edited:
Industry - what a great effort for the theme

1 - Is nice, good motion, although it makes me feel a little sick! :LOL:
2 - Don't like the border but the pp on the image is great, first thoughts though were is it slightly wonk?
3 - I think this is the winner. Lovely capture of the steam, nice treatment,
4 - Doesn't do too much for me

#3 FTW

Cheers

Your quick of the mark this week Darren,I think #1 is really impactive with your slow shutter speed. I just think it's about the right amount of motion. (y)

Industry - what a great effort for the theme

1 - Is nice, good motion, although it makes me feel a little sick! :LOL:
2 - Don't like the border but the pp on the image is great, first thoughts though were is it slightly wonk?
3 - I think this is the winner. Lovely capture of the steam, nice treatment,
4 - Doesn't do too much for me

#3 FTW

Cheers

cheers for your comments, updated the frame on number 2

Pretty much the same as what Joe said to be honest, no idea what number 4 actually is to be honest.

Number 2 does seem to have a slight tilt to the right?

So, I'd definitely go for 3

number 2 is the first lamp that could be used down a mine, invented by Humphrey Davy.

Your quick of the mark this week Darren,I think #1 is really impactive with your slow shutter speed. I just think it's about the right amount of motion. (y)

thank you, took about 7 at various speeds, this was the better.

Back