weekly DK's 2012 '52' - UPDATED 28-12-12

Awwwwww, how 'sweet' is he?

Lovely photo.

Although I always find it difficult to shoot a sleeping baby as you always have to tilt your head to look at them!
Thanks Marsha, he is a sweet one from what I have seen of him so far :)

9 days ! wow, doesn't get much sweeter than that DK, surprised you can find the time !
Best pic I have seen this week on the theme :)
Cheers Nick, what a great compliment (y)

Great addition with the sweet photo. I was also debating not going down the confectionery route but i couldn't turn down the opportunity of free sweets and chocolate.

Matt
Thanks Matt... I don't blame you going down that route, I know far too well can't turn down sweeties :D

Great I love it wouldn't change a thing very sweet

A great take on the theme and a very good shot. (y)
Thanks Phil :)

Now that is sweet personified! Great shot!
Cheers Mark :)

Thanks for popping by my thread and also pointing out the out of focus detraction. It's made me more critical of how I view my submission, cheers Mandy
No worries Manda, thanks for popping by too :)

Thanks again all for taking the time to view my pics and commenting, at this early stage of the 52 I know how hard we are all finding it to even attempt to keep up (y)

Super and sweet Dk, that is a lovely image. Congratulations to the family!
Cheers Michael, My sister-in-law has been trying for many years, so she is VERY over the moon with her 1st child, he will be spoiled rotten for sure :)

Just lovely, nothing more to say really

Apologies for not spotting your thread earlier DK.

Direction - great take on the theme, nice and sharp pic and love the dof around the speakers too.

Fear - excellent pose, spot on, cant fault it.

Sigh - absolute genius of an idea for what was a hard theme. Made me chuckle.

Sweet - gorgeous pic, love it.

Looking forward to seeing more of your 52 (y)

I can remember that new born baby smell just by looking at that. Fantastic shot.

:clap:

Nice take on theme and as previous said makes a change not to see sweets, well done.
Cheers Daryl :)

Just lovely, nothing more to say really
That's cool... thanks Liz :)

Apologies for not spotting your thread earlier DK.

Direction - great take on the theme, nice and sharp pic and love the dof around the speakers too.

Fear - excellent pose, spot on, cant fault it.

Sigh - absolute genius of an idea for what was a hard theme. Made me chuckle.

Sweet - gorgeous pic, love it.

Looking forward to seeing more of your 52 (y)
No worries Simon, thanks for taking the time to go back and comment on all - Great compliments - appreciated (y)

I can remember that new born baby smell just by looking at that. Fantastic shot.

:clap:
Your not wrong Ben - Thanks for the compliment :)

Boy... some great comments again tonight, thanks evreybody for your continued encouragement, i'm off to bed and will do some more visits tomorrow (y)

Hi DK

Fear....fab image...all my other thoughts have been mentioned so just a :clap: from me

Sigh.....brilliant....so dam simple & obvious...why didn't I think of that one :bonk: Love it...not sure about the splash of red/leg....keep going back to look & just can't decide...but a really great idea & well shot :clap:

Sweet....unfortunately I'm stumped on this one.....kids have never struck me as sweet:eek:( not maternal in the slightest ) but it is a great portrait & one which I'm sure will bring great pleasure to you & his family....I suspect you need to get it framed & hung on the wall...(y)

Will agree with others great shot and good DOF but I do think the fold of the blanket takes my eye.

Hi DK

Fear....fab image...all my other thoughts have been mentioned so just a :clap: from me

Sigh.....brilliant....so dam simple & obvious...why didn't I think of that one :bonk: Love it...not sure about the splash of red/leg....keep going back to look & just can't decide...but a really great idea & well shot :clap:

Sweet....unfortunately I'm stumped on this one.....kids have never struck me as sweet:eek:( not maternal in the slightest ) but it is a great portrait & one which I'm sure will bring great pleasure to you & his family....I suspect you need to get it framed & hung on the wall...(y)
Thanks Lynne, some great comments there thanks... So far the red/leg is my Marmite shot :D

like ya pics, fear and sigh are probably my favourite..
Thanks Neil :)

Will agree with others great shot and good DOF but I do think the fold of the blanket takes my eye.
Hi Trevor... I wondered whether somebody would mention that :D It looks ok in the wide shots as the whole blanket is ruffled - Thanks for the feedback (y)

Cheers again Guys... Best I go check for some more freshly posted wk4's :)

4 good interpretations of the themes so far.
I thought about something similar for my Sweet but my daughter is 14 months old now and sweet is the last thing that comes to mind when she runs off halfway through getting dressed!

*Sarah* said:
A very sweet photo - if only they stayed like this!!
They do grow up far too fast!

Rico said:
I thought about something similar for my Sweet but my daughter is 14 months old now and sweet is the last thing that comes to mind when she runs off halfway through getting dressed!
Hahaha, and my not so sweet 20month old yanked his dirty nappy from under him last night and threw it!

The newborn days are precious and need remembering!

I love your take on Fear and thankful I've got sons. Maybe drama would be even greater if both hands were shaking.
Relating to toilet, always changing the roll. Good angle chosen for photo.
Sweet. Had to be the subject for this theme, what luck and great shot.
Looking forward to more of your themes

Last edited:
I wasn't going to start commenting until I caught up, but wanted to say, I love your idea for 'sigh' :D

Good work Dean! Certainly on theme for me, I never noticed the crease in the blanket until someone pointed it out but it doesn't detract anything from the portrait for me. I like it. Iain

4 good interpretations of the themes so far.
Cheers Rico... I certainly know what you mean :D

They do grow up far too fast!

Hahaha, and my not so sweet 20month old yanked his dirty nappy from under him last night and threw it!

The newborn days are precious and need remembering!
Oh Dear :LOL:

I love your take on Fear and thankful I've got sons. Maybe drama would be even greater if both hands were shaking.
Relating to toilet, always changing the roll. Good angle chosen for photo.
Sweet. Had to be the subject for this theme, what luck and great shot.
Looking forward to more of your themes
Thanks John :)

2 shaking hands sure would have been better... I totally agree :)

Hi Dk

Sigh - Like others , the red part is distracting from an otherwise good photo. Spot on focus and dof.

Sweet - very much in the eye of the beholder I think. Possibly better if more upright? Hard to know but the squashed face looks a bit uncomfy.
Thanks Alan :)

I couldn't do more upright... as he was sound asleep on the floor :D

I wasn't going to start commenting until I caught up, but wanted to say, I love your idea for 'sigh' :D
Thanks a lot Aurorae, appreciate your comment even more then (y)

Good work Dean! Certainly on theme for me, I never noticed the crease in the blanket until someone pointed it out but it doesn't detract anything from the portrait for me. I like it. Iain
Cheers Iain (y)

Looking forward to the next subject now - good luck everybody :clap:

Hi DK I also seemed to have missed your thread like many others so here goes.

Week one is great, a good alternative on the theme and like me you don't like g out in the rain. great colours and dof

Week two certainly says fear to me I think I would certainly get losing my laptop and my phone and I have not been a teenager for some time now. I thinks fear is a difficult emotion to capture but you seem to have it there.

Week three is my favourite so far, I think that it needs the leg in to give the impression of time. As like it's already been said an empty toilet roll isn't that much of an issue. Like the composition and red was a good choice.

Week four is nice and sweet, a different take on the theme and he certainly look to be fast asleep. I'm not sure if I would crop out the hand to the right edge or include more of it. Just seems a little odd with that crop. Otherwise a lovely shot.

Great start to the challenge and keep up the good work.

Hi DK I also seemed to have missed your thread like many others so here goes.

Week one is great, a good alternative on the theme and like me you don't like g out in the rain. great colours and dof

Week two certainly says fear to me I think I would certainly get losing my laptop and my phone and I have not been a teenager for some time now. I thinks fear is a difficult emotion to capture but you seem to have it there.
Thanks again Dan :)

Week three is my favourite so far, I think that it needs the leg in to give the impression of time. As like it's already been said an empty toilet roll isn't that much of an issue. Like the composition and red was a good choice.
(y)

Week four is nice and sweet, a different take on the theme and he certainly look to be fast asleep. I'm not sure if I would crop out the hand to the right edge or include more of it. Just seems a little odd with that crop. Otherwise a lovely shot.
I can't include more as that was the original framing, but will give it a go at cropping :)

Great start to the challenge and keep up the good work.
Cheers... you too

Now that certainly IS sweet.
Thanks Stephen (y)

Shhhhhhhhh.... 'Sweet' Dreams.... My 9 day young nephew 'Harry' in the land of nod :)

Quite a toughie this week, with me not wanting to go down the confectionery route has made idea's few and far between... I may come up with another later in the week :)

Took this on Saturday afternoon.......

Wk4 - 'Sweet' Dreams by TP DK..., on Flickr

Thanks for looking in.... Please don't slam the door on your way out ;)

Bless. Very sweet indeed, the missing arm is distracting me a little though, I'd crop it so it's not as obvious or include the arm completely?

I guess If your gate fails, you can't beat a Tree to block the entrance and make your land 'Secure'

Better late than never... my original plan was hopeless, but spotted this today, I guess they don't want people getting in :)

Wk5 - 'Secure' by TP DK..., on Flickr

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:
Certainly fits the theme - I'd like to see the saturation boosted a little and possibly a slightly warmer colour balance to bring out the rich colours in the sun.

Certainly fits the theme - I'd like to see the saturation boosted a little and possibly a slightly warmer colour balance to bring out the rich colours in the sun.
Cheers Phil... I may give that a go tompoow night (y)

I just nodded on my chair, so best get off :D

Yes I guess they're 'securing' their property by any means! I think you've done well with the lighting as it's quite an easy situation to over expose the tree line and lose detail in the foreground. Well, that's what I would get!!!
Thanks Marsha :)

As for over exposed tree lines... yep I have several of them :D

I passed this early in the morning, the traffic was manic, I should have stopped though as the light was MUCH netter... I really want to visit this spot again early in the morning

I like your take on secure
Thanks Robert :)

Its nice to see an outside shot, on theme, like you said just a shame the light wasn't quite right

Its nice to see an outside shot, on theme, like you said just a shame the light wasn't quite right
Thanks Lizzy :)

That;s the trouble when you leave it too late, I didn't want to be uploading it tonight.. so had to suffer with what I had

Roll on tomorrow and the new theme - planning to get the shot taken and up by Sunday night... but don't quote me on it :D

Thanks all for the comments - Good luck with the new theme !!!!

Last edited:
Love the idea that the huge tree is taking the place of the broken gate. Nice path leading to the background too. I agree with what's been said about the sky, but that massive chunk of trunk is what the pic is about and I think it suits the theme well.

Hi DK,

Loving your photo for sweet, yep babies are just that when they're sleeping. I wonder what he's dreaming of? I'm no expert on portrait photography but I would like to have seen both hands in the shot. That said, I really do like this shot, there is something special about it, the colouring is just lovely and the expression on his face is oh so sweet!

Secure, that was a great find, fits the theme very well.

Carol

Love the idea that the huge tree is taking the place of the broken gate. Nice path leading to the background too. I agree with what's been said about the sky, but that massive chunk of trunk is what the pic is about and I think it suits the theme well.
Cheers Stephen, thanks for the comments :)

Hi DK,

Loving your photo for sweet, yep babies are just that when they're sleeping. I wonder what he's dreaming of? I'm no expert on portrait photography but I would like to have seen both hands in the shot. That said, I really do like this shot, there is something special about it, the colouring is just lovely and the expression on his face is oh so sweet!

Secure, that was a great find, fits the theme very well.

Carol
Hi Carol, I think your right yeah... both hands would have been better, but my butt was tight up against the nursery wall :D I was testing my 100 macro on portraits for the first time, couldn't get further back

Thanks too for the comments :)

Hi DK
Good idea for Secure - all comments (including your own:)) about light etc seem valid. As you say, perhaps another day might bring better results.

Only found this on main forum site as you do not seem to have completed spreadsheet?
Hi Alan, THANKS.. updated spreadsheet (y)

Back