weekly Manc Man 52/2012 -WEEK 15 - Departed

Hi Darren,

Brilliant idea for this weeks theme, I prefer the original versions, nicely done.

Carol

The trouble with replacing the images in the original post is that people's comments make no sense afterwards! It'd be better to leave the originals (reduce the size if you like), and append the new versions. That way others can learn from your progression too.

I had a look on Flickr and assume the ones people didn't like above were the two tone ones? If so, the ones showing in post #241 now (14.24 on 21st Feb!) are much much better.

I don't like the Photomatix one at all though, and can't work out why anyone would (sorry)! It's got awful banding, and a nasty halo, looking anything other than handmade :(

Southdowns said:
The trouble with replacing the images in the original post is that people's comments make no sense afterwards! It'd be better to leave the originals (reduce the size if you like), and append the new versions. That way others can learn from your progression too.

I had a look on Flickr and assume the ones people didn't like above were the two tone ones? If so, the ones showing in post #241 now (14.24 on 21st Feb!) are much much better.

I don't like the Photomatix one at all though, and can't work out why anyone would (sorry)! It's got awful banding, and a nasty halo, looking anything other than handmade :(

Point taken, I will repost and resize the ones I removed.
Re HDR, that's you view, tbh I sort of like it because of the banding and halo around it. But I know it won't be everyone cup of tea.

Yes sorry, I didn't mean no-one should like it, just that I can't work out what people are saying they prefer it to. Of the images I can see today, I think it's the worst by a long way, if only because the latest ones are so good.

As an image in it's own right I think the halo is quite effective, as is the shading (if it was smooth), but the banding just looks like it's over compressed (i.e. like a fault) to me, and I think it moves it further away from the theme, rather than closer to it.

I really like those, number two being my favourite. Pin sharp, and the reflection is brilliant!

ONly minor thing I'd say is that whatever it's standing on needs cleaning up a bit as the dark patches are a little distracting, but that is minor.

Southdowns said:
I really like those, number two being my favourite. Pin sharp, and the reflection is brilliant!

ONly minor thing I'd say is that whatever it's standing on needs cleaning up a bit as the dark patches are a little distracting, but that is minor.

Cheers for that Mark, I also went for number 1.
Re surface, it is clean I just think its something in the grain, but I do notice it the more I look

I am sort of breaking my rules by looking at an other post before taking my picture for the week but I thought as you were so quick you must have insperation and I was intrigued.

I like the way you have taken the photos of the coins it is very effective and works well for the theme. Good quick thinking

I am sort of breaking my rules by looking at an other post before taking my picture for the week but I thought as you were so quick you must have insperation and I was intrigued.

I like the way you have taken the photos of the coins it is very effective and works well for the theme. Good quick thinking

thank you. I felt that i need to do a quick photo as all the best ideas would soon be used. Not quite what i wanted but i will do a reshoot.

Number 2 for me as I don't think the selective colouring really works on it that well.

beleive it or not they are both selective colour.

#2 for me , somethings no quite right about #1 but not sure what yet.

Cheers

Steve

Same here Steve, i think #1 is one of those Marmite photos.

thank again for looking.

Darren

Oooo number two for me most definitely, it's lovely and sharp.

I think the reason why number one doesn't work is because the B&W makes it look like a silver coin when it's not! So the hint of colour in the reflection seems out of place if you know what I'm saying?

Number two doesn't look like it has been selectively coloured, which makes me wonder if it needed doing at all:thinking: If anything would it look better if the background was white? With that said, I still like it as it is. Just throwing ideas out there.

The goblin said:
Oooo number two for me most definitely, it's lovely and sharp.

I think the reason why number one doesn't work is because the B&W makes it look like a silver coin when it's not! So the hint of colour in the reflection seems out of place if you know what I'm saying?

Number two doesn't look like it has been selectively coloured, which makes me wonder if it needed doing at all:thinking: If anything would it look better if the background was white? With that said, I still like it as it is. Just throwing ideas out there.

I think you are right.

Hi Darren,

You've done a great job this week, love no 2. Just wondering what lens did you use for this one?

Carol

Re surface, it is clean I just think its something in the grain, but I do notice it the more I look

Hi Darren, I meant clean up in PP really. You have your edit box ticked, so I hope you don't mind but I had a quick go; could do a lot better (it's possible to see some of the cloning), with more time and/or skill I'm sure!

6929826567_f4b37b617f_o-Edit.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Another vote for #2 and agree about cleaning up the spots (dust bunnies/stains) from the background.

Hi Darren

liking your Handmade shots....little bit confused as to which are the original ones but guess they're the color ones...not for me as the seem to jar ....BUT the B&W one in the original post ( 2nd image down ) I really like even though some of the hair detail is gone....struggling to explain why I like but I do (y)

Money....I'm a sucker for SC so your 2nd image takes 1st place for me...nice n sharp...good work mister :clap:

Hi Darren, I meant clean up in PP really. You have your edit box ticked, so I hope you don't mind but I had a quick go; could do a lot better (it's possible to see some of the cloning), with more time and/or skill I'm sure!

6929826567_f4b37b617f_o-Edit.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Looks good to me.

Another vote for #2 and agree about cleaning up the spots (dust bunnies/stains) from the background.

Cheers Gramps, looks like its number 2 for the win.

Hi Darren

liking your Handmade shots....little bit confused as to which are the original ones but guess they're the color ones...not for me as the seem to jar ....BUT the B&W one in the original post ( 2nd image down ) I really like even though some of the hair detail is gone....struggling to explain why I like but I do (y)

Money....I'm a sucker for SC so your 2nd image takes 1st place for me...nice n sharp...good work mister :clap:

Handmade, where do i start.

this was in the order i posted them, but me being a silly billy removed the 2 images that were pure black and white, the reposted.
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4432244&postcount=229

Re SC i have started to love it, now i know haw to do it, but to be fair these are both SC. But i also like number 2. The only part of 2 thats been left is the centre.

Darren

Hi Darren

I seem to have missed the debate on your hand made. you have had enough technical comments to digest and I cannot add anything more useful except to say that I think it is a brilliant idea for the theme. Very novel.

Money - good idea, well captured now that the background stuff has been tidied. Good detail in the rased lettering of the coin

'Money' - really quite like the selective colouring which highlights the reflection in number 1. As an image it says to me it there the currency has lost value, more value in the shadow - a shadow of it's former self.... like your 2nd photograph too really good focus.

Like them both, the sc works well with the coins. It certainly is a fun exercise and can work very well with a lot of subjects.

Cheers Michael, i am starting to love SC.

Hi Darren

I seem to have missed the debate on your hand made. you have had enough technical comments to digest and I cannot add anything more useful except to say that I think it is a brilliant idea for the theme. Very novel.

Money - good idea, well captured now that the background stuff has been tidied. Good detail in the rased lettering of the coin

Cheers Alan, unlucky for me i didnt miss it.... tbh has made me think a little bit more.

'Money' - really quite like the selective colouring which highlights the reflection in number 1. As an image it says to me it there the currency has lost value, more value in the shadow - a shadow of it's former self.... like your 2nd photograph too really good focus.

Thnks Nick, like your thinking.

I prefer no.2 for money, well done, good shot :clap:

Back