weekly Zebs 52 week Challenge Week 16 Pride Added

Sorry about taking you entry Trev, great minds and all that I guess. :D I like this one too btw, you should take up more macro as you done a good job with this one Mate. ;)

Great shot, and focus is absolutely spot on.
Love the positioning of the fly in the shot and colours stand out great against the white background.

Hi Trevor, popping back as I seemed to of missed your's last week.

Root - Very good interpretation of the theme, is that what you have left of my money :)
I was actually going to borrow one of you're ideas for my Root but didn't get time. I was going to use your coke can as inspiration but have money coming out of an oil can, still fancy doing that shot at some time.

Handmade - Cracking first macro that, really like the composition, lighting and colour. Focus looks spot on to me :) Another great take on the theme

Nice shot and interpretation.

Your girlfriend must have a precise hand!

Well done for a first macro! A sedge I think? It's always said that the eye has to be in focus, and it is :) Nice.

Nicely exposed Trevor and an original subject.

Sorry about taking you entry Trev, great minds and all that I guess. :D I like this one too btw, you should take up more macro as you done a good job with this one Mate. ;)

You got this shot bang on pal I love it the colours are top the lighting is spot on and the focus is great for me well done.

Great shot, and focus is absolutely spot on.
Love the positioning of the fly in the shot and colours stand out great against the white background.

Hi Trevor, popping back as I seemed to of missed your's last week.

Root - Very good interpretation of the theme, is that what you have left of my money :)

I was actually going to borrow one of you're ideas for my Root but didn't get time. I was going to use your coke can as inspiration but have money coming out of an oil can, still fancy doing that shot at some time.

Handmade - Cracking first macro that, really like the composition, lighting and colour. Focus looks spot on to me :) Another great take on the theme

That's a great macro shot with a good focus point. Well done :clap:

Thanks for all your comments
Don’t know about doing too much of this macro lark my brain was doing overtime trying to work out what bit was in focus

Hi Trevor

nice macro shot & a very unusual subject...can't imagine how patient you'd need to be to make one of those ! Good thinking for the theme & well shot :clap:

Nice work Trevor, you've really captured the detail in the fly.
Iain

Hi,

I was sure i had commented on here after the sweet shot, such a great photo that, i think i showed it to a few family members aswel. Like the industry and homemade shots.

Great work

Matt

Industry – Nice use of grain/noise to add to the atmosphere

Root – Another tog who didn’t know money was coming in week 9 LOL. Bang on theme but I find the white balance a bit off on my screen though

Handmade – I like the use of the high key effect on this one

Hi Trevor

nice macro shot & a very unusual subject...can't imagine how patient you'd need to be to make one of those ! Good thinking for the theme & well shot :clap:

As said, a great macro shot, for me the lighting is a bit bright. Keep it up and enjoy the macro photography.

Nice work Trevor, you've really captured the detail in the fly.
Iain

That's a nice sharp shot Trevor, A good macro of a well made fly :)

Hi,

I was sure i had commented on here after the sweet shot, such a great photo that, i think i showed it to a few family members aswel. Like the industry and homemade shots.

Great work

Matt

Industry – Nice use of grain/noise to add to the atmosphere

Root – Another tog who didn’t know money was coming in week 9 LOL. Bang on theme but I find the white balance a bit off on my screen though

Handmade – I like the use of the high key effect on this one

Thanks for all your comments don’t know about doing too much on the macro front I found it so hard to get the focus right.

Right better get on with a night of catch up and thinking about getting this week’s shot in the bag

Very nice 'root' image think a few of us have been caught out with 'money' this week lol. 'Handmade' very nice lighting and a nice macro shot - bang on theme too (y)

Week 8 Money

Been a bit of a struggle to find something this week as I shot money for my week 7 Root but I got there in the end.

Week 9 Money by zeb2012, on Flickr

JOHN POUNDS (1766-1839) - SHOEMENDER
By the time that John Pounds died in 1839, he was, despite his modest and humble lifestyle, arguably the most famous person in Portsmouth. His fame had also spread well beyond the bounds of the old town to the extent that news of his death was reported in London newspapers within weeks of the event. Both then and now he was typically described as the 'Originator of the Ragged Schools', which would have greatly surprised Pounds himself who never accepted that he founded anything. All he did was seek out the poorest and most needy children on the streets of Portsmouth and offer them some food, maybe an item of clothing and most importantly, he gave them an education which they would not otherwise have received. The Ragged Schools came later, the first of many in Portsmouth opening at Richmond Place, Portsea in 1849, but the earliest had been set up in Aberdeen in 1841. All such schools claimed to be inspired by the work of John Pounds.

More information can be found here
http://www.memorials.inportsmouth.co.uk/old-portsmouth/john-pounds.htm

I like money as it's different, also the fly for handmade - my grandad used to make flies, I was always nicking the feathers to make ear-rings :LOL:

Nice work Trevor, I like the use of your wide angle lens to capture the writing on the obelisk and it looks really good in monochrome. Thanks for the background information too very interesting (y)

Thanks for the information about John Pounds, B&W works well but I can't help feeling that there is a better composition there somewhere as lots of things have been cut off :thinking:

Hi Trevor

Money - I like that shot and the use of mono. Good take on the theme both in the play on words name and the philanthropic work that he carried out with his money. Nice soft weathered look to the building materials.

Great take on the theme and a top find I love local history and mono shots. Well done.

An excellent take on the theme. Nicely composed and the conversion to b+w works well.

I like money as it's different, also the fly for handmade - my grandad used to make flies, I was always nicking the feathers to make ear-rings :LOL:

Nice work Trevor, I like the use of your wide angle lens to capture the writing on the obelisk and it looks really good in monochrome. Thanks for the background information too very interesting (y)

Nice view on the theme, and a very good shot. B+W suits vert well.

Thanks for all your comments the replica shop is built onto the church of his name and that was going to be my theme shot but the church was locked so I had a quick walk in the garden and found this tucked away

Thanks for the information about John Pounds, B&W works well but I can't help feeling that there is a better composition there somewhere as lots of things have been cut off :thinking:

Thanks Gramps I did try a few different compositions for this but wasn’t happy with them, this is set in a small garden with modern buildings to the back and left side and it is attached to the new church on the right and it just didn’t look right including some of the moden stuff.

Handmade, impressively made. I'm liking the composition and you've got some great detail. Can't decide if a thin border would help contain the photograph :thinking:

Money, my first though was, you need to make your mind up and chose one, either the shop of the memorial, but then I have another look and decided they complement each other. Just the WB an issue for me, the white are grey and it's a tad flat.

Cheers.

Handmade, impressively made. I'm liking the composition and you've got some great detail. Can't decide if a thin border would help contain the photograph :thinking:

Money, my first though was, you need to make your mind up and chose one, either the shop of the memorial, but then I have another look and decided they complement each other. Just the WB an issue for me, the white are grey and it's a tad flat.

Cheers.

Good call on the border Andy it does look better.

Just tried to get the whites better in the original Raw file with not much luck think I will give it another go when I have more time.

Thanks for the comments on both accounts (y)

Week 10 Win.

This week I keep getting idea’s only to find them already posted so I have just shot this tonight.

I take it we all know the game Rock Scissors Paper, but just in case this will give you an the genaral Idea.
The objective is to select a gesture with your hand which defeats that of the opponent. Gestures are resolved as follows:

Rock blunts or breaks scissors: that is, rock defeats scissors.
Scissors cut paper: scissors defeats paper.
Paper covers sands or captures rock: paper defeats rock.

If both players choose the same gesture, the game is tied and the players throw again.

I have gone against my own rules and decided to edit this one to try and get rid of the ghosting that is on show from where I had to swap the scissors and rock around although I’m finding it hard to see it on my laptop and I’m only going off what I have been told so i don’t know if it is any better. :shrug:

Canon 5D mk2: 24-105mm L. F11 At 1/200 ISO 100. 430 mk11 flash

Week 10 Win by zeb2012, on Flickr

Last edited:
A fantastic take on this theme, really like the originality.
I do however find the left out, cut out scraps left on the background (I.E. the scissor outline behind the rock and around the actual scissors).

Dam I didn't see that when taking the photo I had the stone and scissors in the wrong place and didn't notice till I packed away so I swapped them round in PhotoShop I must have had to much feather set. I might go against my rule of not editing a shot and change that tonight.

└:eek:┘ └:eek:┘ └:eek:┘ └:eek:┘ └:eek:┘ └:eek:┘
Editing a shot after its been published, sacrilege!
But I think we can let you off on this shot.

Last edited:
Ha, very very clever! Great shot, love it :)

Nice one Trev, I did think of this too but using hands playing the game. Well thought out and executed. Crumple paper would look better I think as it looks just like a white square, I like the black BG. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I like the graphic nature of your win. B&W adds drama.

I don't mind the crisp paper, I'd just like it to be rotated clockwise a bit.

Cheers.

Back