weekly DK's 2012 '52' - UPDATED 28-12-12

Yep got it Marsha, thank you.

DK, yours is my very first suscribed thread!Won't miss anything now!

Carol

Brilliant DK, not only nice images but a great concept and highly original. A late runner indeed but still first past the post. (y)

Hi Dk,
how do you subscribe to threads? Sshh, don't tell anyone i don't know!lol

Carol
I see you found out below :)

Do you really unsuscribe each time? I'd lose track of who I had commented on if I did that!

Click on thread tools and then subscribe!
Hey Marsha... Yep I do :D was up to 45 subscribed Root threads last night I think (have a 52'ers file I save them in) once I stop seeing fresh, I clear them all and start again with the next subject, So When I check the 52 forum there is a tick next to all subscribed so I know which to look at next - works really well :)

Hi DK, very clever take on root, good set of images aswell:)
Cheers Neil :)

Doh, where are thread tools Marsha?
:)

Carol once you're in a thread at the top, underneath the bit where it says page 7 of 7 (or more for very poplur people) there are three tabs 'thread tools, search this thread, rate this thread' Click on thread tools and it's on the bottom of the list. If you're on your iPhone when you click reply, there is an option to subscribe.

Hope that helps.
Nicely put

Yep got it Marsha, thank you.

DK, yours is my very first suscribed thread!Won't miss anything now!

Carol
Yay :D

:LOL:I think I'm subscribed to about 38 52ers as well as all the other threads I've posted on or started!!!
:nuts:

Brilliant DK, not only nice images but a great concept and highly original. A late runner indeed but still first past the post. (y)
Thanks Nick... very kind of you to say :)

Still not fully decided on my 'Handmade' pic... gonna comment on a few to get my brain ticking over :geek:

Liking these ideas. The crop and lighting on industry works well and reminds me of a local estate years ago before bright security lighting was installed.
Root is really clever, agree about comment for border.

Liking these ideas. The crop and lighting on industry works well and reminds me of a local estate years ago before bright security lighting was installed.
Root is really clever, agree about comment for border.
Cheers John... I'm going to put a border on it soon, well, let me re-phrase that, I have the intention of adding one soon - it may happen soon, it may not :D

I like the Root idea - original and works well. I also think it's a concept which could easily be revisited in the future.
I do too, Thanks Ivan :)

Right... I have my 'Handmade' Planned, fingers crossed for tomorrow :geek:

The Norfolk Broads... Between the 12th and 14th Century they were 'Handmade'

By the 12th century, much of east Norfolk had been cleared of its woodland for fuel and building materials, and the first written evidence of peat digging for fuel in the Broads also dates from this time.

Between the 12th and 14th centuries peat digging (or turf cutting) was a major industry. Peat digging was probably in progress for several centuries before then, but there is no direct evidence for this. Turf cutting was carried out on a massive scale with almost every settlement in the area we now know as the Broads digging its own pit, or turbary, for extracting peat as its principal source of fuel.

Historical records show that the pits gradually began to fill with water, making the turves of peat more difficult to extract. Peat diggings were abandoned by the 14th century. They flooded, and this landscape became a wetland, rich in wildlife.

Wk8 - 'Handmade'
by TP DK..., on Flickr

Thanks for looking :)

Hi DK

Had not seen your Root but very nice take with the 4 images, all slightly different. Nice balance of subjects and colour.

Handmade - Probably only fits the theme with the explanation. I like the capture of the stillness of the water and the reflections of the reeds - you had a difficult job withe contrast of the dark vegetation at the sides and the light of the water.

Certainly a unique take on the theme, and a nice shot too. Maybe when we eventually get better weather :nuts: a HDR version of this would be a cracker :)

Hi DK

Had not seen your Root but very nice take with the 4 images, all slightly different. Nice balance of subjects and colour.

Handmade - Probably only fits the theme with the explanation. I like the capture of the stillness of the water and the reflections of the reeds - you had a difficult job withe contrast of the dark vegetation at the sides and the light of the water.
Hi Alan... yes it sure does need the explanation if you don't know about the origins of the broads, been here most of my life within 2 or 3 miles.

Thanks for the good feedback :)

Nice shot and a very interesting take on the theme. Like your explanation.
Thanks Darren (y)

Certainly a unique take on the theme, and a nice shot too. Maybe when we eventually get better weather :nuts: a HDR version of this would be a cracker :)
Hey Simon :) Unique... I certainly try most of the time :D

Not done HDR before, may give it a go one day !!!

Nice take on the theme Dk. the pic has come out well, liking the nice calm water.
Hey Michael :)

Cheers... I was hoping for a better sky but was unlucky with my chosen day

Handmade - lovely shot, I like it a lot.
But I'm not too convinced about the theme.
Hi Mike... Thanks for the compliments of the pic

Now then... how do I persuade you... I know :bat:

Ok... another quote then - see, your even getting free history lessons :D

For many years the broads were regarded as natural features of the landscape. It was only in the 1960s that Dr Joyce Lambert proved that they were artificial features, the effect of flooding on early peat excavations. The Romans first exploited the rich peat beds of the area for fuel, and in the Middle Ages the local monasteries began to excavate the peat lands as a turbary business, selling fuel to Norwich and Great Yarmouth. The Cathedral took 320,000 tonnes of peat a year. Then the sea levels began to rise, and the pits began to flood. Despite the construction of windpumps and dykes, the flooding continued and resulted in the typical Broads landscape of today, with its reed beds, grazing marshes and wet woodland.

A lovely photo showing a different take on the theme. The reflections are lovely.

It looks a great place to sit and stay for a while. A great history lesson by the way!:)

A lovely photo showing a different take on the theme. The reflections are lovely.

It looks a great place to sit and stay for a while. A great history lesson by the way!:)
Thanks Sarah :)

Where I actually took the shot is only 3 or 4 Meter's away from the road, this specific broad's Carpark and walk/trails are closed, they have been re-doing the path's decking walkways for a couple of years, should be open within a month, going to be a cracking place to walk again with my camera :)

Top choice. I like the explanation. I like it a lot. It puts more to the picture when there's an explanation.

Hi DK,

Catching up as always, love your take on the root shot, very clever, handmade....not what would of expected and i got educated at the same time lol.

Great work

Matt

Hi DK,

Catching up as always, love your take on the root shot, very clever, handmade....not what would of expected and i got educated at the same time lol.

Great work

Matt
Cheers Matt... and glad you behaved in class today... have a star :D

I'm liking your handmade shot a lot. A really good
image. (y)
Thanks Phil... appreciated (y)

hi DK, been there many times(the Norfolk Broads) never knew it was all handmade.........you learn something new every day!!!!
good shot by the way..

Another great shot from you DK, interesting and different take on the theme.
I do like landscapes, this looks like a beautiful part of the world. Never been to the Norfolk Broads and had no idea of their history. Would love to see this at red sunset, bet it's stunning.

Carol

Hi DK

brilliant idea for ROOT.....though after a glass of wine I needed to look long & hard before I saw it....very clever stuff mister (y)

Interesting take on handmade as well.....this challenge teaches more than just photography :D Like the reflections & the view point....HDR might just bring out the sky & the colors ?

Another great shot from you DK, interesting and different take on the theme.
I do like landscapes, this looks like a beautiful part of the world. Never been to the Norfolk Broads and had no idea of their history. Would love to see this at red sunset, bet it's stunning.

Carol
Thanks Carol :)

There are great sunset's on the other side of the road on this one, I'm looking forward to getting home before sunset so I can get some shots, I always seem to pass this area when in a rush on the way out or the like :(

This wasn't a photo I would have expected for this theme but with the explanation totally get it. Nice photo as well.
Cheers Peter... I do aim to confuse :D

Hi DK

brilliant idea for ROOT.....though after a glass of wine I needed to look long & hard before I saw it....very clever stuff mister (y)
Thanks Lynne :LOL:

Interesting take on handmade as well.....this challenge teaches more than just photography :D Like the reflections & the view point....HDR might just bring out the sky & the colors ?
Your so right... my mind constantly tries to think of a new idea, really helping this 52 is :nuts:

I really must try to sort the sky with this shot, I left the shot late, the following day there was a great sun rise, but as usual I was running late !!!

Thanks again all (y)

Interesting take on handmade, thanks for the insight - composition is good, though I might crop a bit off the bottom to get rid of the 'twigs'.

Interesting take on handmade, thanks for the insight - composition is good, though I might crop a bit off the bottom to get rid of the 'twigs'.
Twigs.... what twigs :eek:

Only kidding, cheers gramps :D I hadn't noticed them to be honest... Hmmmm maybe clone them out rather than crop, i'd loose too much water and make the reed bed too prominent maybe :thinking:

Appreciate the comment mate, aint it odd when you don't notice stuff till others point them out :)

Just checking in again old chap you've got a bit of catching up to do. Hang in there matey it will be worth it in the end (y)

Hi DK, I love this shot! The reflection on the reeds really makes it for me.

The 'twigs' at the bottom actually look like more reeds, they don't bother me!
Thanks Marsha - me neither come to think of it :)

Just checking in again old chap you've got a bit of catching up to do. Hang in there matey it will be worth it in the end (y)
Cheers Nick (y)

Very simple shot DK but well executed. I love the DOF leading from the first coin.

Now did you stand them all up easily or was there some swearing involved?
Cheers Marsha :)

Yes there was a bit of swearing... I knew it wasn't a good idea to let the kitten out at the same time, she's a right nosey git :bang:

Animals and children are both a pain when ever anything delicate needs doing!

Win - I have seen a couple of shots that involve playing cards or some kind of gambling, but all very different.

I like the set up, your eye is led around the scene. Can't fault it really (y)

Back