weekly Bilko's 52 for 2012 - Week 48 Shadow Added

Thanks everyone.

Week 11 Shiny.

Again, this week I'm struggling.

I had a couple of ideas, but I settled for shooting some spanners.

I used a piece of black card, and did an exposure of about 4 seconds, painted with little LED torch. Followed by some Photoshop.

Week 11 Shiny by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

Good composition, I'd tone the yellow down a bit for my tastes though.

Good choice of subject for the theme Robert, definitely says shiny to me.
An intersting choice of composition and dof but like Phil above find the yellow tone a bit too strong. Good work though(y) Iain

Thanks for the honest critique, which I most definately appreciate.

As with most of my photographs there's usually more than one to choose for the challenge, but it looks like I chose the wrong one again! That's ok. As I've said previously on the thread. It's all about learning from the choices of images.

Thanks again everyone.

Hi Robert, the spanners fit the shiny theme, have to confess i'm no fan of the colouring either, would it have worked in B/w?

I'm playing catch up this week due to not coming up with anything I was happy with for Shiny and won't post the one I have come up with last night 'til I've gone through everyone elses.

Looks a good pic, I'd agree with the colouring comments though.
A cooler blue or even bring the current colouring down to a light sepia to give it a classic feel perhaps?

You must have cleaned them pretty good if they're the Lambretta toolkit ones? :D

Good DOF, nicely composed, but I do think the yellow is a little too strong. Also, the little spanner on the left is a little too bright, and I find that a bit distracting, but good work.

I cleaned all my Lambretta spanners for hours to get the crap off!

Thanks as ever for all the comments.

Week 12 Magical.

This week had me stumped. I had no idea what to do.

The only thing I could come up with was to have my Son do a bit of his magic.

magical by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

LOL, that's great for magical!

Good shot and processing, and the fact that you've remembered to put the shadow on the ground too completes the shot nicely. That sort of detail to me is what seperates those that like to take snaps, from those that are more serious about their pictures.

magical works a treat Robert, as said above, you've nailed the finer details of the shot (ie the shadow) to complete it.
Bang on theme, great work (y) Iain

LOL, that's great for magical!

Good shot and processing, and the fact that you've remembered to put the shadow on the ground too completes the shot nicely. That sort of detail to me is what seperates those that like to take snaps, from those that are more serious about their pictures.

:plus1: :clap::clap:

dear me I seem to have missed a few weeks here, love shiny but magical is very special :clap: :clap:

Hi Robert

Magical .....made me smile & go WOW...love it :clap:(y)

Thank you very much for the comments. I was struggling again this week and thought my Magical was weak, but glad you like it.

Thanks again.

Week 13 Vice.

Lost for ideas, I fell back on a style I've used already and I feel like I'm cheating doing this, but I just can't think of any other way.

Anyway. My vice is my prescription drugs. From Tramadol to Amitriptyline. I feel like an addict sometimes. :wacky:

Week 13 Vice by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

That works and is really on theme as there is so much 'prescribed' drugs addiction today - nice colours & DOF (y)

Magical is a fantastic idea and a brilliant bit of PP.
Vice reminds me of my mums pill pot, not so much vice but keeping her alive. If you had contacted me earlier could have thrown in a needle or two to add to the theme. lol Great shot though with good use of DOF and bang on with interpretation

Last edited:
Good job Robert, works really well, good DOF and comp, strong colours and on theme

Hi Robert

Magical - what a lovely shot, certainly buts a smile on your face, and excellent pp work too.

Vice - again good shot, bang on theme, good dof too.

I seem to have missed your last couple of shots; are you updating the spreadsheet?

Shiny; very nice, and I like the colour as it is.

Magical, great shot and PP. Any chance of a brief "how to"?

Vice, truly superb! What more can I say, I love it!!!

As ever, thank you very much for the feedback.

Week 14 Entrance.

I popped up to Stormont this evening. It's only a couple of miles away, but I should have got the shot this afternoon under better light. I took this when it was getting quite dull.

Week 14 Entrance by robertalexandershaw, on Flickr

Back