weekly Manc Man 52/2012 -WEEK 15 - Departed

sorry for the late reply mate... I was just trying to work out whether it was a slice or a half round bit of crystal, if it was half round Seeing some of the un-sliced area would of been nice

Shiny - Excellent idea, i really like that, a good twist to the theme

Magical - Close up and without the reflection is a real nice shot - spot on !!!

Cheers DK, the crystal was a thin slice.

Thanks again for ypour comments.

casting a spell must be magical. Not happy with the focus but the idea is there,

Super idea Darren, I think you have a problem with movement rather then focus here, I think you have picked a tough project to get right with this one.

The goblin said:
:LOL: I like it. What did you use for the 'magic'?

I used a gas can, did the flame first then covered the lens with a black card, then got in to position and got my wife to light paint me. Just need to get a bigger flame and sort the focus out, think the problem might be due to me moving slightly.

Last edited:
Right just playing catchup to get up to date now I've posted my Shiny late :( and still need to shoot my "magical".

Shiny - I like that, good interpretation on the theme.

Magical - I think that the picture of the figure without the reflection is best, in fact the one where it's offset (on a third) is probably the best of them.

Fire magical, the idea is indeed there. Liking it. If you can overcome the obvious issues, post some more.

Might give this a go myself.

Cheers.

Right just playing catchup to get up to date now I've posted my Shiny late :( and still need to shoot my "magical".

Shiny - I like that, good interpretation on the theme.

Magical - I think that the picture of the figure without the reflection is best, in fact the one where it's offset (on a third) is probably the best of them.

Cheers Donnie

Fire magical, the idea is indeed there. Liking it. If you can overcome the obvious issues, post some more.

Might give this a go myself.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy and good luck with your attempt. I am going to try again this weekend.

Delta Skies said:
Sorry only going to comment on #1. I like this one and it's on theme. Unlike others I like the reflection. Good choice of background colour too.

Cheers Peter, but you have made C & C on all by saying you don't like them. I get the feeling from your post you feel you have to stop and visit. Doesn't bother me if you visit or not mate

Apologies Darren if you've taken this the wrong way. It can be a problem with the written word. The "unlike others" comment was not about the other pictures, it was the fact you'd received comments about the reflection and I was saying I liked it.

I am keen to give feedback to as many posts as I can but due to time means I have to share this around hence just commenting on one photo. For me doing the 52 comes with 2 pros. Firstly it's the obvious challenge of thinking up an idea, executing it and then receiving c&c on how I could improve things (my latest is a good example). The other is me commenting on other people's entries. I get to see how other people have responded to the theme - both in terms of thought and execution. It is helping me look at photos in a different way as well. What has taken me by surprise is the amount of time it takes - which I don't begrudge at all. As someone once said "I'll be back". (y)

Apologies Darren if you've taken this the wrong way. It can be a problem with the written word. The "unlike others" comment was not about the other pictures, it was the fact you'd received comments about the reflection and I was saying I liked it.

I am keen to give feedback to as many posts as I can but due to time means I have to share this around hence just commenting on one photo. For me doing the 52 comes with 2 pros. Firstly it's the obvious challenge of thinking up an idea, executing it and then receiving c&c on how I could improve things (my latest is a good example). The other is me commenting on other people's entries. I get to see how other people have responded to the theme - both in terms of thought and execution. It is helping me look at photos in a different way as well. What has taken me by surprise is the amount of time it takes - which I don't begrudge at all. As someone once said "I'll be back". (y)

No probs Peter, i might of been me reading it wrong, it just came across as if it was a chore doing the post.
I know only to well this is a hard challenge and i didn't want to put anyone under pressure in feeling they had to visit and post on my photos.
I an doing the challenge for one thing only (to improve what little skills i have)and one person only (me)

good idea, difficult one to get right (I know this as I struggle too) but maybe you should dress up as a wizard or druid (should make a fun night lol)

Hi Darren

Magical.....now thats a neat trick & think you've done a good job for a 1st attempt....looks far to bloomin difficult for me to attempt....be interesting to see how you progress with this shot as I think you've got the basis for a really fab image there....good luck with some more tries :clap:

of the magical wizards I much prefer the last verison posted ( above jenson )...nice n sharp, great colors, & a really cute little chap (y)

'Magic' - very difficult this one and not in the least bit easy. I wouldn't try it myself as I don't think i could pull the shot off. The movement spoils it a little. This may work if you set the camera on tripod, use a slow speed 1/30 at a start with flash to freeze the movement this may help a little ?

Nice work (y)
Nick

good idea, difficult one to get right (I know this as I struggle too) but maybe you should dress up as a wizard or druid (should make a fun night lol)

Cheers Summer, the wife shout at me when i dress up.

Hi Darren

Magical.....now thats a neat trick & think you've done a good job for a 1st attempt....looks far to bloomin difficult for me to attempt....be interesting to see how you progress with this shot as I think you've got the basis for a really fab image there....good luck with some more tries :clap:

of the magical wizards I much prefer the last verison posted ( above jenson )...nice n sharp, great colors, & a really cute little chap (y)

Cheers Lynne, if all goes well giving it a bash this evening.

'Magic' - very difficult this one and not in the least bit easy. I wouldn't try it myself as I don't think i could pull the shot off. The movement spoils it a little. This may work if you set the camera on tripod, use a slow speed 1/30 at a start with flash to freeze the movement this may help a little ?

Nice work (y)
Nick

heers Nick, yep was hard to do.
Camera was on tripod and on bulb setting and i used black card between shots.

hi Darren

Magical - I prefer the little man without the reflection but I think that the reflection is a really good idea for the theme.
I think it is the fact that the reflection is joined directly to the subject at the feet and it might work better if the reflection could be behind?:thinking: I don't know how to do it but if there was a kind of smoked glass mirror behind and to the right so that the figure was the same way up but his back showing and slightly darker? I know what I mean but it may not come out that way in words:bonk:

The magical one in the garden is brilliant :clap:- don't know how you did it but the 2nd take really does capture the theme. I might try to lose those milk bottle type things top right but that is all. And on the left is that a little figure waving to us?(y)

Vice - decent photo and I like the colours and focus. But after the other 2 smiley ones, this is a bit sombre - kind of brings you down to earth.

superpippo said:
hi Darren

Magical - I prefer the little man without the reflection but I think that the reflection is a really good idea for the theme.
I think it is the fact that the reflection is joined directly to the subject at the feet and it might work better if the reflection could be behind?:thinking: I don't know how to do it but if there was a kind of smoked glass mirror behind and to the right so that the figure was the same way up but his back showing and slightly darker? I know what I mean but it may not come out that way in words:bonk:

The magical one in the garden is brilliant :clap:- don't know how you did it but the 2nd take really does capture the theme. I might try to lose those milk bottle type things top right but that is all. And on the left is that a little figure waving to us?(y)

Vice - decent photo and I like the colours and focus. But after the other 2 smiley ones, this is a bit sombre - kind of brings you down to earth.

Thank you for your comments Alan they a greatly appreciated.
Re reflection I understand what your saying.

Re garden shot, I still think I am at the happy snapper level in photography rather than a photographer if you understand what I mean.

Vice is a somber subject for some people but for others it's part of life and even enjoyable.

Thank you again Darren

Last edited:
hi Darren, love the flames in magical..

Vice - its a good pic, great focus..yup lets hope next week is easier, still not sure what to do!!

hi Darren, love the flames in magical..

Vice - its a good pic, great focus..yup lets hope next week is easier, still not sure what to do!!

Cheers Neil............ next weeks theme ICE CREAM...... yum yum

The choice of the colour is good one although you've just clipped the top one

Cheers Peter
The colour was from the sun shining through curtans in to the dining room. Noticed the crop error after i posted, thought i would have got away with it, i should have known better.

ghostly magical is good but still no dress [*ahem* I mean druid cape] I see lmao

vice is good too, even though I don't like seeing any of those words written down :( (bad words)

what would you like this week? I think something like 'wet' or 'garden' or 'sky' would be nice lol

Hi Darren, playing catch up again.

Magical - love the pic of the little fella without reflection too, and like the idea behind the garden shots too. Last of the garden shots for me is a little belter.

Vice - for me a great shot, bang on theme and dof spot on.

Both hard themes for me, and still not had chance to do anything for either yet :bang:

ghostly magical is good but still no dress [*ahem* I mean druid cape] I see lmao

vice is good too, even though I don't like seeing any of those words written down :( (bad words)

what would you like this week? I think something like 'wet' or 'garden' or 'sky' would be nice lol

Cheers Summer, long gone are the days of me dressing up for a photo lol
re next week, if its another bad one me thinks i will give it a miss.

Vice, it is. Not one of your strongest, I feel. I'm not keen on the colour and you've clipped a bit.

Come on....bounce back (y)

Cheers Andy. i got to the stage where any shot would do, so it did.

Hi Darren, playing catch up again.

Magical - love the pic of the little fella without reflection too, and like the idea behind the garden shots too. Last of the garden shots for me is a little belter.

Vice - for me a great shot, bang on theme and dof spot on.

Both hard themes for me, and still not had chance to do anything for either yet :bang:

Cheers Simon.

I like that as an image, but I'm not sure murder is a vice!

I like that as an image, but I'm not sure murder is a vice!

Cheers Mark
Me thinks murder is a vice

VICE
An evil, degrading, or immoral practice or habit
Wicked or evil conduct or habits

I would say murder was evil and immoral.

Hi Darren, as you have said not the best, but at least you got the theme done.

Yeh, this week was a hard one, didnt want to take a photo of a vice.

Hi Darren.....great reshoot of your Magical shot....think you nailed there...great work mister :clap:

Vice....hmmmm....to the point , def ion theme...like the simple colors....maybe not a strong week but hey , you're still in the game....kinda hoping for a really inspiring theme this week (y)

Back