weekly Summer's 52 - week 51 negative

I didn't want to be literal this week, but after a whole day looking for something interesting I gave in and decided to submit this one of the entrance to our local park

memorial park by moominmama, on Flickr

thanks Darren, 1st thing that entered my mind was 'making a grand entrance' but didn't think I'd pull that off lol

Very very nice :) Perfect composition, and the B&W works really well. If you could just get them to re-plant the park with taller trees to the left for balance, it'd be perfect!!!!!!

I don't think it's possible for any theme to be boring given the open interpretation. Even if an out of the box idea isn't possible, great photo's technically always are.

Hi Summer

Just a little catch up here.

Magical - like the thinking behind it, nice idea.

Vice - now that does get the mind thinking ;), great interpretation on the theme.

Entrance - really like this, love the composition and the mono works superbly.

Hi Summer, really like the vice Shot, it is open to interperetation and i like that its dark and shadowy, the mono works really well.

Entrance - really like the symmetry on this one

I like this one Summer, the B&W conversion suits the subject. The symmetry is the main feature of the photograph, with that in mind, I agree with Peter in that I would be tempted to clone out the lamp-post. I think a little cropped off the bottom to make a letterbox crop would accentuate the gates. Iain

Hi Summer

nice simple & effective shot for the theme...like the B&W , the symetry ...as per Iain on the crop...good work girlie (y)

thanks for the comments everyone. Am a bit sad this week cos my camera had to go to the repair shop. I managed to borrow my old 400 back from the guy I sold it to but it's not the same lol

Park entrance works well, especially as a mono pic (y)

'Vice' - Really strong image and works well. Captures the imagination..... i think you nailed it this week. Good lighting too !

'Entrance' - I really like it and the lighting on the L/H pillar, really nice perspective with nice lead in lines. Like the fact that there are no people in the background !

Both images in monochrome are the perfect choice I think and wouldn't have worked as well in colour (y)

Nick

thanks Nick and gramps. I know that so far this themed idea has done a lot for my technique. I now look at the whole of the bg and try to set up the shot properly. For instance, in the entrance shot I have arranged it so that the direction signpost is fairly well hidden from view...(it's behind the centre post of the gates.)

I think I would clone out the lamp post in future tho - some things you can't hide :LOL:

Last edited:
Delta Skies said:
Great shot. The use of B&W really works for this one. I even like the shadows up the back of the legs making it look like the seam of stockings.

I was going to say this too!

I like the strong B&W, I think it works well. The fact you can't see the mans legs properly adds a little mystery to me as you can't quite see what they're up to by their feet!!!

Entrance - another excellent B&W shot(y) Nice and sharp throughout and good composition with the path leading to the gate. I like the sunlight on the left hand post.

My very tiny critique would be to try and get the path bottom left to lead from the very corner as per the right. I thought a crop would help, but that would upset the symmetry of the outer posts:thinking:

thanks guys

soft this week - my very first thought was a northern simile - 'soft as clarts' - which we use to refer to someone who's a wimp. Clarts refers to mud. so I thought a picture of a stone falling into mud or a footprint in mud. However mud is not a good subject - it is brown and boring!

so instead I went for something a little more obvious

my dog as huge soft eyes, a lovely soft nature, and gorgeous soft fur...

week 15 - soft by moominmama, on Flickr

I don't have any animals but when I can I do like to stroke dogs.

You've got some nice detail in the fur and it's well lit. I like how the fur goes from light to dark...almost has a sea wave feel to it.

My only minor crit is the lower left is a tad dark.

Overall, a very pleasing photograph.

Cheers.

Hi Summer,

tis a good shot, nice focus and texture to it, definitely tell its soft. However if I just looked at the photo I wouldn't now it was from a dog!! maybe you could get some of the dogs face in...

It certainly looks soft, and therefore fits the theme. Lovely textures showing in there too. Not sure on the dark patch lower left, and I agree with Neil... I wouldn't have known it was from a dog.

Dog or not it's obviously soft and I like the move across from light to dark (y)

Hi, Summer, just realised I've missed a few of yours :thinking:

Anyway, I see where you were going with magical, but it's a but underexposed and lacks colour. I noted your comments about the fairy flying away, but I'd rather it was in the photograph.

I like the low angle of Vice and the lack of any narrative works. Bottom looks a tad bright and perhaps cropping the LH shadow :thinking: Love the shoes :naughty:

Entrance...nothing wrong with a literal interpretation. Nice time of day for the photograph and I like the faint shadows. The light on the LH column does draw my eye and the composition is a little off.

Cheers.

I hadn't realised it was your dog's coat until I read the text !! would almost say whilst it is clearly hair/fur the tight crop makes it abstract and leaves the view to decide.

I think the grduated lighting helps as it would have been easy to loose detail.

Nice photograph and spot on theme.

Hi Summer i thought hair before fur as well, you mentioned your dogs eye, and theres nothing softer than dogs eyes and the bit down the middle of their muzzles, got to agree that the left hand corner is a tad too dark

Hi Summer, I like this one a lot. I recognised it as a dog immediately (maybe you have to have a simillar dog), but don't think it matters anyway. It says soft through and through, and I like the abstract nature of it.

The only issue I can see, which I had to look hard to find, is 4 dark spots on the light fur to the right.

The bottom left corner might have worked a little lighter, but I like the graduation across the shot anyway.

thanks guys :) this was natural light - in the garden

also I guess I made a mistake mentioning the dog, the idea wasn't to photograph my dog but to photograph her fur - fur is soft and the theme is soft. As Gramps says - the dog part is irrelevant.

Mark the dark spots are muck - probably crumbs off her treats which we were using to make her sit relatively still :LOL: I thought about cloning them out but in the end this shot is straight from the camera

Entrance - when I saw entrance as the theme I did think it would be easy, but it would be hard to make it interesting. We can all take door shots! I think you have suceeded in making it an interesting take on the theme. Its a strong B&W shot.

Soft - Lovely soft shot, and if anything like my dog it will be mega soft!

thanks guys, strangely enough Marsha, we do have similar colouring, everyone said I picked her (she's a rescue dog) because she looked like me :LOL:

looking forward to pride as my friend at work has agreed to model - I have such good, willing, victims, I mean friends, at work ha ha

sturisoma said:
strangely enough Marsha, we do have similar colouring, everyone said I picked her (she's a rescue dog) because she looked like me :LOL:
Ha ha ha, I can imagine you and your dog in 101 Dalmatians (animated version) where Pongo is looking out the window at owners and similar looking dogs!

Hi,

On a mad catch up so ill be brief,

Magical, Nice idea but it doesn't really do anything for me, the reasons are the fairy being o.o.f is practically lost in the picture, my concentration was on the flowers in front, sorry

Vice, Yes , Yes and Yes, great photo, Nice lighting , I'm a sucker for legs and heels lol

Entrance, Nice entrance, not sure if the B N W works though

Soft, bang on theme, as is the others, i like it.

Matt

Hi Summer

Vice - good shot, nice lighting and a very clean sharp image

Entrance - sometimes hard not to be literal. Composition is a little off with the symmetry and the unmatched benches either side and the single lamp post detract from that symmetry. But good spot.

Soft - I don't mind that I am not aware of what type of animal it is because the shot is so on theme. Nice graduation of colours and the curve of the hair adds to the softness.(y)

Back